Code of Conduct
Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2115
    If not now, when?

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I believe that was Sadanne, with the strawberry/Riesling vibe. Zahd is more cranberry/cherry almost cocktail meets dark red mulled wine type aesthetic.
    Oh yes you are right.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Anyone with the inside word on when the shop will be back up?
    It was back up as of last night.

I'm not feeling as inspired by Sixes & Sevens as some of you are so I'm setting it down to revisit in a few. Instead I'm wearing one that I never really liked when it was initially released. I kicked myself for passing on Zahd after the fact because sometimes you will come back as your tastes change and find out you really enjoy a fragrance you've always disliked. This was the case when I smelled the small amount of Zahd I had left in a sample, well after it had sold out. Well, the nearly impossible to track down decant of this fragrance showed up at my doorstep a few weeks ago - thanks to a generous basenoter. I figured I'd share my impressions.

Off the top, mulled wine with dark crushed cranberries dusted in dark chocolate. Champaca incense and melted red candle wax. As with most older Slumberhouse fragrances, Zahd conjures images in the mind of various settings (at least this is my experience.) At first I think of some type of witches lair...maybe I've been watching too much American Horror Story. But, that's what first comes to mind - cold stone walls, candles lit and melting away all around you and a decanter of mulled wine, berries and cocoa on an gold platter.

Other times I think of a place more "bright" and I'm taken to a hippy drove high up in a mountainous Indian village. Sandalwood and champaca slowly burning and wafting through the thin, sun-soaked, cool mountain air...hippies sharing a smoke, softly tapping on drums and humming to rhythmic tunes.

Genuinely thankful for my decant, I don't want to name who generously gifted me with it...but thank you! There's plenty for me to last a lifetime as Zahd is quite strong. Definitely one to reach for this particular time of year.

Great remarks about Zahd! This is among my top 3 Slumberhouse releases (Zahd, LANZ, and Pear + Olive). What you mentioned about its changing nature is very true. At times it gives off that darker, mulled wine, chocolate dripping candle wax impression, while other times there is a much brighter red, fruity cranberry infused tartness. Either way, I've never smelled anything else like it, among all the Slumberhouse releases or any other release by any house for that matter. It's something I enjoy immensely, but wear sparingly. I get a real urge to wear it about every 3 months, when I might wear it for 2 or 3 days in a row and then put it away until the next season. I also think Zahd is something he could tinker with and re-release in an even better, more accessible form. Josh's creations have become much more polished, smooth, and seamless in their transitions, and while I think Zahd was actually the beginning of this new style of composition for Slumberhouse, he has since come much closer to perfecting it--and were it applied to Zahd again, the fragrance could become something that is much more widely appealing and generally palatable.

So I’ve missed out on two releases already (Lanz and Six & Seven). As a colleague says; I’m going to go shoot myself now.
    Currently wearing: Musk Oud by By Kilian

I have a question in the same vein as asked a few posts earlier. I recently started exploring these fragrances, and even the "current" releases are fairly difficult to find (don't even get me started on some of the older limited releases). Without searching 70 pages of info, is this perceived lull an artifact of Josh taking a break from normal operations, or is this just part of the downtime between the normal release cycle or...aliens?
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

You can check the Slumberhouse Instagram to make your own assumptions. I'd think it's a little bit of needing a break and using that time to tap into some creativity/artistic juju that's sometimes hard to come by when you're busy fulfilling orders. My two cents!

And in the past he hasn't really closed his shop or sales to luckyscent, fumerie, etc completely like he has recently.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    I have a question in the same vein as asked a few posts earlier. I recently started exploring these fragrances, and even the "current" releases are fairly difficult to find (don't even get me started on some of the older limited releases). Without searching 70 pages of info, is this perceived lull an artifact of Josh taking a break from normal operations, or is this just part of the downtime between the normal release cycle or...aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Personally I haven’t seen them this sold out before. Usually you can find bottles (norne, ore, a few other select ones that are part of the lineup at the time) by checking the other retailers but they seem to be sold out everywhere.

But Josh did say on his Instagram that he is closing up shop to work on perfumes. The next release will hopefully be the “brown sugar, pumpkin, vetiver” some time before Christmas. And then there’s Victorialand for luckyscent and the “sister scent” for Norne (no ETA on those).

Hopefully by the end of November or Early mid December things are back to normal. Don’t want to miss out on the holiday shoppers!

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I also think Zahd is something he could tinker with and re-release in an even better, more accessible form. Josh's creations have become much more polished, smooth, and seamless in their transitions, and while I think Zahd was actually the beginning of this new style of composition for Slumberhouse, he has since come much closer to perfecting it--and were it applied to Zahd again, the fragrance could become something that is much more widely appealing and generally palatable.
    I'd like to believe this as well, that in time Josh will revisit his earlier creations with greater experience and a trend towards "evolving" the original concepts forward... thus making them more approachable and wearable. So rather than being remorseful over missing earlier releases, I'm hopeful that I'll get to experience the "next best thing" from him, like Sixes & Sevens (actually I'm now kicking myself for not buying a 100ml bottle!).

^^^ Zahd in it's formative phase, before the addition of cranberry cocktail was a way better fragrance - the cranberry added a counter note of sorts, but Zahd did not need the cranberries to the extent Josh added imho...

To add, I doubt if Zahd will be re-released, but i could be wrong. There were couple of ingredients that were used up completely and he wasn't able to source more...

The site is up, but no ability to purchase or product pages.
    Man...I didn’t notice that.

Weird. By all accounts he’s still into creating very much and actually has several releases on the horizon. Hopefully it’s just as you explained above or he’s retooling his lineup a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Man...I didn’t notice that.

Weird. By all accounts he’s still into creating very much and actually has several releases on the horizon. Hopefully it’s just as you explained above or he’s retooling his lineup a little bit.
    There's no excuse for this nonsense. Of course, so many unquestioningly prop Josh up nonetheless.
    Currently wearing: London by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    There's no excuse for this nonsense. Of course, so many unquestioningly prop Josh up nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    LOL, the best gif (sic) I've seen in a while. Thanks man.
    Currently wearing: Ruh by Pekji

Basenotes Plus

I'm laughing so hard

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I'd like to believe this as well, that in time Josh will revisit his earlier creations with greater experience and a trend towards "evolving" the original concepts forward... thus making them more approachable and wearable. So rather than being remorseful over missing earlier releases, I'm hopeful that I'll get to experience the "next best thing" from him, like Sixes & Sevens (actually I'm now kicking myself for not buying a 100ml bottle!).
    I disagree. I love the roughness of Josh's fragrances. Norne is a masterpiece, as are Ore, Sova, Kiste, Jeke, Vikt, Baque and on and on. A great example of one of Josh's fragrances that is so rough it screeches' "improper" is Mare. It is just weird, and yet it is beautiful. I would hate to see him do the same things that other perfumers do because then the wonderful Slumberhouse aesthetic I love so much would be neutered and that would be a sad day indeed in my opinion.
    Currently wearing: Black Violet by Tom Ford

Seems pretty simple to me that a business owner can run their business the way they see fit. If a consumer doesn't like the way the business owner runs their business they can show it by not buying their products.
    Currently wearing: Black Violet by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    I disagree. I love the roughness of Josh's fragrances. Norne is a masterpiece, as are Ore, Sova, Kiste, Jeke, Vikt, Baque and on and on. A great example of one of Josh's fragrances that is so rough it screeches' "improper" is Mare. It is just weird, and yet it is beautiful. I would hate to see him do the same things that other perfumers do because then the wonderful Slumberhouse aesthetic I love so much would be neutered and that would be a sad day indeed in my opinion.
    I agree with this comment and I would love to see Mare come back. I haven't had the opportunity to smell Sixes & Sevens, so I can't comment on that one but I'm not a big fan of some of his more recent releases (Lanz and New Sibet). I do, however, remain a huge fan of almost all of his earlier perfumes and excitedly look forward to sampling anything he puts out in the future!

Seems pretty simple to me that a business owner can run their business the way they see fit. If a consumer doesn't like the way the business owner runs their business they can show it by not buying their products.
    Indeed. As long as there aren't any unfair practices at work, there's absolutely nothing (wannabe) customers are entitled to.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Sure, he can do what he wants. And customers can pass comments on how pleased they are with the operation.

Anyway, clearly he doesn't have a good read on his market. With material flying out the door, he could and should double or triple his prices. $300 per 30 mL has a nice ring to it. I hope he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Indeed. As long as there aren't any unfair practices at work, there's absolutely nothing (wannabe) customers are entitled to.
    Nothing to add but a snide aside, eh?
    Currently wearing: London by Tom Ford

Nothing to add but a snide aside, eh?
    Yeah. Less is more in some cases. How would you feel if I was trying to tell you how to do your business? To be honest, it irks me a bit seeing you do just that with Josh, who never appeared to be in it for the money primarily and has been around for many years already. Not interested in letting this escalate into an argument though.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

clearly he doesn't have a good read on his market. With material flying out the door, he could and should double or triple his prices. $300 per 30 mL has a nice ring to it. I hope he does.
    Yeah - weird eh? Someone still remains unhindered by money...Totally weird & unacceptable!

Basenotes Plus

Anyway, clearly he doesn't have a good read on his market. With material flying out the door, he could and should double or triple his prices. $300 per 30 mL has a nice ring to it. I hope he does.
    Not exactly how things work. Lobb is catering to a completely different clientele than someone like a Roja Dove, who'll encrust his bottles in fairy dust and sell them for $1000 a pop in exotic boutiques for the rich and braindead.

Turning off their really small customer base isn't a wise move for an indie perfumer. It's always a balancing act, with staying in business the real long-term goal, instead of just making a quick buck.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    So I’ve missed out on two releases already (Lanz and Six & Seven). As a colleague says; I’m going to go shoot myself now.
    me too... could you share a bullet to me

What types of fragrances would you like to see from Josh next (re-releases and new fragrance ideas?)

Personally, I'd like to see a comeback of Vikt, Rume and Sova.

If I had to pick a new scent I'd like to see what Josh can do with rose.

Basenotes Plus

What types of fragrances would you like to see from Josh next (re-releases and new fragrance ideas?)

Personally, I'd like to see a comeback of Vikt, Rume and Sova.

If I had to pick a new scent I'd like to see what Josh can do with rose.
    Vikt and Sova for sure. Norne too, if that's gone.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Not exactly how things work. Lobb is catering to a completely different clientele than someone like a Roja Dove, who'll encrust his bottles in fairy dust and sell them for $1000 a pop in exotic boutiques for the rich and braindead.

Turning off their really small customer base isn't a wise move for an indie perfumer. It's always a balancing act, with staying in business the real long-term goal, instead of just making a quick buck.
    I agree. It would really nice, though, if he could find a way to regulate his inventory. I understand he needs to take breaks now and again, but each time he does, rumors of discontinuations and end times follow.

I'm not sure if his scale would even theoretically allow for increased production of the regulars without his direct involvement, but it would be nice for fans and hopefully for Josh as well.

PS he said very specifically awhile back in the thread that Norne is NOT permanently discontinued.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 LastLast