Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Let's go zahd, ship already.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Let's go zahd, ship already.
    It'll be coming in waves, but some bottles should be arriving within the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It'll be coming in waves, but some bottles should be arriving within the next couple of days.
    I wonder what surprises he may include with them - any prototypes / rare samples?

I wonder what surprises he may include with them - any prototypes / rare samples?
    Given the amount of bottles he has to ship, and that the fact that people have been waiting for quite some time for this, I can't imagine that there'll be any extras. The goal is simply to get Zahd to those who have been waiting since they placed the order.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I think it's a lot more wearable now though, that much I'll say. The only aspect of the old stuff that remains is the licorice wheel accord and a much more restrained oud. The old Vikt had a blast of black agar on top, the new one has a nice smooth sandalwood base that the old Vikt didn't have. I'd say it's a shell of the older Esprit, so if you like the old stuff...grab a bottle before this goes away if you can.
    ^ What he said
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Tracking info just arrived for my Zahd shipment

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Tracking info just arrived for my Zahd shipment
    Me too!

USPS Tracking - Expected Delivery Day: Tuesday, February 18, 2014
    Last edited by Fhaoilgeal; 15th February 2014 at 03:15 AM.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

They're going to arrive in waves as a good amount went out today and the rest will go out on Monday. For those of you trying to avoid the spoilers for the new design, you might want want to be careful looking at this thread for the next few days.

The last of the Vikt was bought up by the online retailers and Twisted Lily should have some in stock too. I wouldn't hesitate though if you're considering it.
    Good advice. I just bought a bottle as backup. Its such good stuff for winter!

You guys are really making me want to blind buy a bottle of Vikt extrait. I'm gonna wear the Esprit for the first time in ages today, and if I like that as much as I remember I think I may pull the trigger. You are all a terrible influence on me, especially when it comes to Slumberhouse, my one true weakness.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Plus

I bought one yesterday, OctaVariuM - although I missed the old one, this is an excellent blend.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I bought one yesterday, OctaVariuM - although I missed the old one, this is an excellent blend.
    The esprit I am wearing today is really excellent. For some reason it reminds me of the new Ore in a few ways...not sure why. It also doesn't come across as super challenging on my skin. I get the dark, oud like qualities when I sniff close, but not at a distance really. I also don't get anise in this one...at least not yet.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Octavarium, I also recommend you get some Vikt while you still can. While I don't like using this word, it really is an "addictive" fragrance. It's so peculiar and distinct, that after a few wears you just have to smell it again….and again and again. Then it gets even better because you start picking up on little things you didn't notice before. Like how sometimes the licorice note is bright, with a green glow to it, and other times it's blacker with a murkier hue. Or how the oud note and incense play off each other in the base. Sometimes the oud is amplified, and a touch of the barnyard funk rears its head, other times the incense draws you in with its deep and dark swirls.

When I got Vikt I had never smelled it. And my initial reaction was one of skepticism. But man has it grown on me over a couple of months…

And I don't think you are ever going to encounter another fragrance that smells like this. Might as well grab it while you can.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Octavarium, I also recommend you get some Vikt while you still can. While I don't like using this word, it really is an "addictive" fragrance. It's so peculiar and distinct, that after a few wears you just have to smell it again….and again and again. Then it gets even better because you start picking up on little things you didn't notice before. Like how sometimes the licorice note is bright, with a green glow to it, and other times it's blacker with a murkier hue. Or how the oud note and incense play off each other in the base. Sometimes the oud is amplified, and a touch of the barnyard funk rears its head, other times the incense draws you in with its deep and dark swirls.

When I got Vikt I had never smelled it. And my initial reaction was one of skepticism. But man has it grown on me over a couple of months…

And I don't think you are ever going to encounter another fragrance that smells like this. Might as well grab it while you can.
    Sold! Just placed my order. I hate you people :P.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post

You won't regret it!
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

I wrote to Josh a couple of days ago explaining that I wanted to thank him in advance for creating and offering a special fragrance for his fans, and, as always, received a wonderful message back from him. As has been reported he indicated that the first batch would ship yesterday and that my bottle would be in the first batch. Since I live so close to him I would likely be one of the first to get Zahd. Sure enough, tracking indicates my bottle will arrive today with the mailman who usually arrives around noon. So after a long wait, I will probably have this in my hot little hands in about 3 hours or so. So for those of you that have been waiting on pins and needles, your wait is almost over.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I wrote to Josh a couple of days ago explaining that I wanted to thank him in advance for creating and offering a special fragrance for his fans, and, as always, received a wonderful message back from him. As has been reported he indicated that the first batch would ship yesterday and that my bottle would be in the first batch. Since I live so close to him I would likely be one of the first to get Zahd. Sure enough, tracking indicates my bottle will arrive today with the mailman who usually arrives around noon. So after a long wait, I will probably have this in my hot little hands in about 3 hours or so. So for those of you that have been waiting on pins and needles, your wait is almost over.
    Do us all a favor and if you post pictures, do so in a spoiler tag or externally off site. I kind of want to wait to see it in person (I'll be one of the last to get it since I am across the country from you guys).

I will not post pictures.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

SH Bottle.jpg

Now you can see why it took so long to produce.

Seriously though, there'll be a diversity of opinions on the new bottle (which you'll all see soon) -- and, I predict, a lot of quick-fire emotional "I love it!" or "I hate it!" responses. As with all things from this line, it's not something to assess on the fly -- nor is Zahd. Live with it for a few days and then try to form nuanced, measured opinions. One of the things I've come to expect from the line is that you'll never get what you expected from him.
    Last edited by deadidol; 15th February 2014 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

You won't regret it!
    Hahaha! BB is right though.

I'm wearing Ore extrait today. We've had relentlessly cold and snowy weather this winter, and Vikt, Ore and Norne have all just shined for me as cold weather scents. [I have been wearing Vikt to work; its that good]. Is there a better trio of cold weather scents from one house than these three?

Basenotes Institution

((giggle))

Enjoy. If you hate it, you'll always be able to sell it easily here on BN.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

SH Bottle.jpg

Now you can see why it took so long to produce.

Seriously though, there'll be a diversity of opinions on the new bottle (which you'll all see soon) -- and, I predict, a lot of quick-fire emotional "I love it!" or "I hate it!" responses. As with all things from this line, it's not something to assess on the fly -- nor is Zahd. Live with it for a few days and then try to form nuanced, measured opinions. One of the things I've come to expect from the line is that you'll never get what you expected from him.
    Have you seen the bottle deadidol?

Have you seen the bottle deadidol?
    I have. And so will others very soon.

I will not post pictures.
    That doesn't make sense. Just give the link...

Basenotes Plus

Patience

I have. And so will others very soon.
    Any....thoughts? I personally don't really care necessarily, as I like the current bottles plenty. If anything it's slightly annoying that it won't fit in with the rest of the collection (just slightly). I'm just curious to see what Josh came up with.

I have the bottle in my hand, but I'll keep you all waiting a little longer.

I'll say this: industrial, ancient, sculptural, original, minimal.

I'll say this: industrial, ancient, sculptural, original, minimal.
    Ancient industrial sounds like an oxymoron.

That doesn't make sense. Just give the link...
    Josh asked, since I am a photographer, to not post pictures. I respect his wishes.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Juxtaposition is definitely his aesthetic.

Blog Entries

Totally! I think that's what makes the idea so cool - it's like "bronzepunk"!

la machine d'Anticythère

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Does it in any way resemble a rotisserie?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    That would be so "Hermès".

I say step up the axes of rotation....

Now this bottle...... Grrrrrrrr.

Thierry de Baschmakoff. Kinda figures.

I have the bottle in my hand
    grrrrrrr...show off's...

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post

Basenotes Plus

Default Slumberhouse Discussion

So on one hand we all throw fits when a company decides to do regional releases of their fragrances and make us wait to see the new creations on either side of the pond, but then we do the exact same thing ourselves and that's somehow ok?

<sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    So on one hand we all throw fits when a company decides to do regional releases of their fragrances and make us wait to see the new creations on either side of the pond, but then we do the exact same thing ourselves and that's somehow ok?

<sigh>
    To be fair I'm pretty sure deadidol lives pretty close to where Josh is, so it would make sense he gets his fast. The other issue is Sunday is no post and Monday is no post due to the holiday, so we will be a little late due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post

<sigh>
    Apologies -- I'm just teasing a little. I got the bottle early for other reasons. As far as I know, the only person who will have it in their hands right now is someone who lives very close to Josh.

It looks like the shipments that went out yesterday will arrive Tuesday (I assume) and the rest will all go out on Tuesday for delivery later in the week.

And that person woul be me! I have the bottle in my sight right now. Let me describe it to you.

Mine came in a lovely velvet pouch. The bottle itself is wonderful...being made of glass! There is a sprayer on the top with a tube that reaches all the way to the bottom. (Pure genius.) And on top of tbe sprayer is a cap! Such innovation!!! Now that I have described the bottle fully for you I am positive you can picture it in your mind.

Perhaps now I should sample the contents?
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

And that person woul be me! I have the bottle in my sight right now. Let me describe it to you.

Mine came in a lovely velvet pouch. The bottle itself is wonderful...being made of glass! There is a sprayer on the top with a tube that reaches all the way to the bottom. (Pure genius.) And on top of tbe sprayer is a cap! Such innovation!!! Now that I have described the bottle fully for you I am positive you can picture it in your mind.

Perhaps now I should sample the contents?
    WOAH SPOILERS! It has a cap!!?!?!?!??!! What is this madness?

Blog Entries

WOAH SPOILERS! It has a cap!!?!?!?!??!! What is this madness?
    LMAO.

Yeah, he RUINED it for me.

Anybody whose Zahd has been ruined by this spoiler is free to send me their bottle they can no longer live with.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    [OT]
    Thank you SO MUCH for posting about this, Redneck! I'd briefly heard about the Antikythera Mechanism back in 2008 but didn't manage to note it down, forgetting about it later. I couldn't remember for the life of me what it was. Anyway, it's a relic heralding from the times of the Ancient Greeks and is thought to have been designed by Archimedes. A partially intact example of it was discovered in an ancient shipwreck around 1900. In 1970 it was finally examined with modern day X-ray technology, but it wasn't until recently that the device was "figured out." It has been revealed that it is an ancient analog computer designed to predict astronomical positions and eclipses. And after an accurate reproduction was created, it was discovered that it is astoundingly accurate! They say that nothing as complex or technical had been discovered for over 1,000 years after that time. It really makes you wonder... how people living in such primitive times could have been able to conceive and implement a design this complex. The forethought and analysis as well as mathematics is very sophisticated.

Here are some links:
    Antikythera Mechanism project
    PBS NOVA Antikythera Mechanism
    It's almost enough to make one believe that a time traveler got stuck back then and made the best of what resources he had on hand!
    [/OT]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    [OT]
    Thank you SO MUCH for posting about this, Redneck! I'd briefly heard about the Antikythera Mechanism back in 2008 but didn't manage to note it down, forgetting about it later. I couldn't remember for the life of me what it was. Anyway, it's a relic heralding from the times of the Ancient Greeks and is thought to have been designed by Archimedes. A partially intact example of it was discovered in an ancient shipwreck around 1900. In 1970 it was finally examined with modern day X-ray technology, but it wasn't until recently that the device was "figured out." It has been revealed that it is an ancient analog computer designed to predict astronomical positions and eclipses. And after an accurate reproduction was created, it was discovered that it is astoundingly accurate! They say that nothing as complex or technical had been discovered for over 1,000 years after that time. It really makes you wonder... how people living in such primitive times could have been able to conceive and implement a design this complex. The forethought and analysis as well as mathematics is very sophisticated.

Here are some links:
    Antikythera Mechanism project
    PBS NOVA Antikythera Mechanism
    It's almost enough to make one believe that a time traveler got stuck back then and made the best of what resources he had on hand!
    [/OT]
    Yes, it is VERY cool, isn't it! Glad you got a kick out of that!

The ancients were very sharp people - it's sometimes shocking how prescient they were, to say nothing of doing sophisticated calculations - particularly of things astronomical. Honestly, I tend to think that their only limitation was accumulated technology. But when you think about the complexity of turning ores into metals, and devising geometry from first principles, you realize how deeply they had thought about things. I have a quote from one Greek atomist that I love (Democritus), because of the shock value of how right he ended up being about atomic and molecular behavior. And he was just intuiting based on observed large-scale material science and metaphysics. Amazing stuff. Can't find that quote right now, but this one will do: "I would rather discover a single causal connection than win the throne of Persia." What a guy!

Right now I'm enthralled with Solomon of the OT, because of his understanding of insect societies. What was once just the assertion of a string of proverbs, is now a hot area of science - complex actions by societies emerging from a small set of actions and rules in individuals. I think it's clear that he understood the basic parallel of insect and human societies, which has been endlessly rediscovered, but upgraded each time to a deeper understanding. The whole thing is very hot right now - really interesting.

Humans are very smart, but so are a lot of other social animals. Much of it is intuitive, but the usefulness is there, whether or not the observed regularities are expressed. I've observed logic in social insects that is freaky. Even our dog used a tool once to get something out from under the couch.

I tend to think the ancients were only limited by short lifespan, unstable societies, and poor communication. Start taking those away and it's like approaching critical mass. The Greeks really had a golden era - enough to make both the Persians and the Romans covet and admire them!

Sorry for the TOTALLY off-topic, but you know what? This is a %^&$#@* SLUMBERHOUSE THREAD. It has earned the right to be different.

Exclamation Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Didn't anyone else get their bottle of Zahd today? I need to review this scent but am still figuring it out. Put it on almost 8 hours ago and it is going on nicely. Fruity cranberry at the top with something else that seemed sort of dry...and I have no idea what that note is...hmmm. Changes to add something that seems like a wine note with some incense, something that reminds me a bit of nag champa incense and sandalwood. There is a complex beauty in this one that is quite unlike anything I have ever smelled. And I only used one spray from a sprayer that seems to release very little juice. And the juice itself is very red! This scent may be the best thing I have used in a long time and is a favorite. Kicking myself for not getting two bottles. I want to wear this again tomorrow but I have to work and this one is so special I would not want to waste it on my customers. As far as longevity goes and the quality of the ingredients, I would put this one up there with Amouage, and Amouage is my favorite house! This is one I don't want to run out of and since it will never be made again I am almost afraid to wear it so I can have it forever. My god Josh, what will you do next? I would already nominate this as the best of 2014. "My precious!" A more thought out review later.
    Last edited by Akahina; 16th February 2014 at 07:49 AM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Back in October, a day or so before Zahd became available to order, I wrote up an relatively objective overview of the scent to try and give potential buyers a general sense of what they'd be in for. Huddler ate that post -- I can't even find it in the archive. However, I posted it on that "other" site as well and was able to grab it from there. While I thought it might be best at this point to leave impressions up to all who ordered, here's what I wrote four months ago in case it's of any use:

I wanted to take a few minutes to say some things about Zahd.

This a scent that I've had the opportunity to see develop over a period of time and have had the good fortune to sniff along the way. I know that over the last year, several sneak previews have been sent to people, and so there maybe different understandings of what this scent is and what it's all about. By the time I finish writing this, the link to place an order should be set up, and as you'll see, the circumstances of buying this scent are a little different. But I'll let Josh explain that to you all.

So here's an objective overview of what to expect:

While this is as strong as anything he's made prior, the nature of the scent is a little more reserved in the same manner that Ore extrait was more intimate than its prior EdP iteration. In fact, you'll find that there's some similarity between Zahd and Ore, and that's no mistake—they're aesthetically paired scents. The subtle musky cocoa is present in Zahd, but it's dialed back quite a bit (more so than Ore) and what takes its place is a rich, mysore sandalwood and attar base that feels incredibly encompassing and warm. But at its core, this is strikingly unusual berry scent, and as those of you who had the opportunity to sample Zahd earlier in the year might recall, it's a cranberry that walks a fascinating line between tart and dry, and it's mixed with champaca that gives it an incredible brightness. The heart conjures up images of fireworks for me, but it also has a uniquely Eastern/Indian feel to it. Alongside this, there's a waxy component that serves as a bridge between the deeper, musky base and the bright mids.

This is a very rich, swirling, and idiosyncratic fragrance—I've smelled nothing like it before. With that said, it's one of the most wearable scents that Josh has produced as opposed to some of his more extreme compositions. It sits somewhat heavy, but gives off the impression of real delicacy. Here's the list of notes from the man himself:

"Zahd incorporates notes of cranberry, champaca flower, benzoin, plum, pink lotus, fir, cocoa, tolu, gromwell, wine ether, mysore sandalwood, cherry, incense and oak to create a dark, velvety berry scent. The perfume itself is a deep ruby red color and is concentrated at 30% to create an incredibly powerful and long lasting extrait."

Some of you may have had the opportunity to sample a sneak preview of this that came out a couple of weeks ago. The final version dials in the cocoa a little more, and reveals the champaca notes that those of you might have tried over the summer will recognize. From an objective standpoint, this is one of the most impressive blends that I've tried from his line, and I know that this is one of the scents that he's the most proud of. I'd hoped that it would make the permanent line-up, but as Josh will tell you, because of the ingredients used, Zahd will be a difficult scent to keep in production. This is a huge shame, but I'd personally rather see it released in this manner than not at all. I'm stoked that it's finally out, and I'll be placing one of the first orders for sure.

And for now, I'll let Josh do the rest of the talking:
    http://www.slumberhouse.com/zahd

Forming your own opinions is key, but perhaps this post will be of some use to those of you who will inevitably be trying to figure out what the scent is doing. And here's a link that outlines the creation of the scent as well as some of the original aesthetic intent: http://imgur.com/a/GNHjj

From the original announcement: "When creating a perfume, I find that the initial 'on-switch' in my brain happens when I come across a material which I find very evocative or inspiring. With Zahd, it was a fairly rare cranberry concrete which has all the beautiful facets of a fruity red note without being overly sweet or young. Cranberry has a sophisticated complexity to it which I found alluring - a mild, fruity and warm note that I began to conceptualize as the heart of a perfume. It was almost two years ago that work on this project began.

I wanted to think outside the box and find inspiration from things other than my own memories. I wanted to indulge in qualities that were unique to Slumberhouse and carried the perfume into territory that was both exotic and highly wearable. As I began creating the formula for Zahd, I realized I was subconsciously sculpting the scent to replicate how I felt crushed red velvet would smell if a fabric could be transformed into scent. I wanted something lush, opulent, alluring, completely gender neutral and ultimately mysterious. From this point I began incorporating other ideas involving heavier elements from traditional middle eastern perfumery to add both weight and complexity. Through trial and error, the necessary notes slowly revealed themselves to me. Over the course of these two years I created roughly 80 prototypes of Zahd in my attempts to fine tune the fragrance to the smoothest, most rounded and perfected version of itself. In curating my materials palette, I realized that the addition of lotus, mysore sandalwood and an attar I commissioned specifically for Zahd had bumped this fragrance into not only the realm of excessive cost but also into being nearly impossible to replicate. Realizing that this would be a special release that I would only be able to offer in such a limited amount, it only made sense to offer Zahd for this occasion."
    Last edited by deadidol; 16th February 2014 at 09:46 AM.

Cocoa? I don't find that unless it is what mingles with the cranberry at the top. The top notes are what baffles me at the moment. Whatever is in Zahd is so well put together that it comes accross as something new and ultimately wearable. This has to be the best yet from Slumberhouse. The whole scent is amazing from the first seconds to the drydown. Whoever gets a bottle is in for a real treat. Wish I were better at descriptions...sorry.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Cocoa?
    Yup! It's blended with the attar. It was stronger in earlier versions, but you can smell it most at the outset. It's very similar to Ore in that sense, except in Ore it's a little more prominent. But yes, it's a totally new scent meaning that it's hard to describe and put your finger on what its doing, but it's completely unique as well. While you can draw rough reference points to other scents, this one really stands on its own.
    Last edited by deadidol; 16th February 2014 at 09:02 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for post #466, D.I. - the imgur page is especially fascinating!

Zahd incorporates notes of cranberry, champaca flower, benzoin, plum, pink lotus, fir, cocoa, tolu, gromwell, wine ether, mysore sandalwood, cherry, incense and oak to create a dark, velvety berry scent.*

Now I understand Zahd better. But, I have no idea what pink lotus or gromwell smell like. A few of these notes are pretty well buried or blended so well so as not to stand out. And I seem to love anything with plum. This one's a real gem.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

I think I'm going to pick up some samples of this house.

Whoever gets a bottle is in for a real treat. Wish I were better at descriptions.
    Akahina - Your descriptions are very clear (& way better than mine) - agree totally with your point that all those who have bought this & never had a chance to sample it will find it even more amazing when the wait is over (I should say most of the buyers); I've been lucky to get a few samples through the development & have been blown out of my mind from the time the first sample landed almost a yr back. Itching to get my hands on my bottle - whenever it arrives. The new bottle design does not bother me much, glad there's cap's on, I was concerned only with that it in the past. If the new bottle design is eye-catchy / artistry, that'll be a bonus...

My god Josh, what will you do next? I would already nominate this as the best of 2014.
    Yes, very good question, thought abt this myself & curious to see how / what the next "new" release might be...

One day I'll have to read up on why they called their house Slumberhouse. For me it always conjures up imagery of many beds in some housing facility.

"Yeah there were hundreds of us sleeping there. One big massive slumber house! In trying to think of what to do, someone got the idea of making fragrances. And there you have it."

One day I'll have to read up on why they called their house Slumberhouse. For me it always conjures up imagery of many beds in some housing facility.
    That probably doesn't smell too good.

For me, I get the image of a tree house or something.

Basenotes Plus

Definitely more in tune than the picture

One day I'll have to read up on why they called their house Slumberhouse.
    The graphic on the home page of the perfumer answers the Q, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    The graphic on the home page of the perfumer answers the Q, doesn't it?
    Heh, yeah... just visited it. Didn't think they "slumbered" much, eh? So it's more of a romantic vibe, slumber together, intimacy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The ancients were very sharp people - it's sometimes shocking how prescient they were, to say nothing of doing sophisticated calculations - particularly of things astronomical. Honestly, I tend to think that their only limitation was accumulated technology. [...] I tend to think the ancients were only limited by short lifespan, unstable societies, and poor communication. Start taking those away and it's like approaching critical mass. The Greeks really had a golden era - enough to make both the Persians and the Romans covet and admire them!
    Absolutely. The chaos of the day worked against them. Too much volatility in civilization. I mean... Archimedes was run through with a sword by a soldier who he didn't obey a simply inquiry of "who are you?". What we achieved in the 20th century was a convergence of industrialization and the ultra high demands of wartime. It forced a level of innovation unprecedented in human history. There were points way back in ancient Greece when they could have done the same, given a greater stretch of civilized time... before the Romans raped their civilization. And the Romans became too indulgent in excesses that gave way to corruption in a rather "short" time frame, relative to technological prowess. Had the Germans and Turks not conquered them, who knows if their scientific community would have evolved to continue the brilliance of Archimedes and the like.

Right now I'm enthralled with Solomon of the OT, because of his understanding of insect societies. What was once just the assertion of a string of proverbs, is now a hot area of science - complex actions by societies emerging from a small set of actions and rules in individuals. I think it's clear that he understood the basic parallel of insect and human societies, which has been endlessly rediscovered, but upgraded each time to a deeper understanding. The whole thing is very hot right now - really interesting.

Humans are very smart, but so are a lot of other social animals. Much of it is intuitive, but the usefulness is there, whether or not the observed regularities are expressed. I've observed logic in social insects that is freaky. Even our dog used a tool once to get something out from under the couch.
    PBS Nova & Nature have been creating documentaries on this subject and it's astounding, like the sophistication achieved by insect cooperation. And birds. The whole "bird brain" insult is so unfounded. Incredible how smart some species of birds are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks for post #466, D.I. - the imgur page is especially fascinating!
    Totally! I love this Josh quote:

As I pieced Zahd together, I realized this perfume was all about red and pink smelling chords. It was to be enigmatic, irresponsible and intense.
    Hope it is!

Looking forward to more descriptions of this stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Akahina - Your descriptions are very clear (& way better than mine) - agree totally with your point that all those who have bought this & never had a chance to sample it will find it even more amazing when the wait is over (I should say most of the buyers); I've been lucky to get a few samples through the development & have been blown out of my mind from the time the first sample landed almost a yr back. Itching to get my hands on my bottle - whenever it arrives. The new bottle design does not bother me much, glad there's cap's on, I was concerned only with that it in the past. If the new bottle design is eye-catchy / artistry, that'll be a bonus...
    I agree - great description!

"Yeah there were hundreds of us sleeping there. One big massive slumber house! In trying to think of what to do, someone got the idea of making fragrances. And there you have it."
    I kinda thought the same thing, but more like an old bunk-house!

Absolutely. The chaos of the day worked against them. Too much volatility in civilization. I mean... Archimedes was run through with a sword by a soldier who he didn't obey a simply inquiry of "who are you?". What we achieved in the 20th century was a convergence of industrialization and the ultra high demands of wartime. It forced a level of innovation unprecedented in human history. There were points way back in ancient Greece when they could have done the same, given a greater stretch of civilized time... before the Romans raped their civilization. And the Romans became too indulgent in excesses that gave way to corruption in a rather "short" time frame, relative to technological prowess. Had the Germans and Turks not conquered them, who knows if their scientific community would have evolved to continue the brilliance of Archimedes and the like.

PBS Nova & Nature have been creating documentaries on this subject and it's astounding, like the sophistication achieved by insect cooperation. And birds. The whole "bird brain" insult is so unfounded. Incredible how smart some species of birds are.
    Yes - alternate history is fascinating, not just in its own right, but in asking questions about our own future, alternate histories! I have wondered exactly the same things about the Greeks and the Romans. Many very interesting paths that would have allowed major advances to have happened sooner.

But I'm also thankful for some aspects of history. Very glad the Aztecs kept human sacrifice at home. If they would have gotten gunpowder, things might have been better in the Americas, but had they started building ships, I'm not really keen on the idea of Kolumbuzuma discovering Portugal. Base 20 would have been the least of our problems.

Birds - yes - parrots are very impressive, as well as crows, magpies and all the rest. I'll keep an eye out for the Nova episodes!!! Thanks!