Code of Conduct
Page 95 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 3129

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    What are your collective thoughts on the various versions of Pear + Olive?

I think I can recall most versions, and prefer the round bottle with marbles - or the first flask bottle. I'm definitely hoping to find an older bottle, as whatever the difference, I preferred it to the LAST flask w/a few marbles. I have not tried the new rectangular bottle - any thoughts on it?
    The EDP version with the marbles was my favorite version. It had NUCLEAR projection for about 4 hours wherein it suddenly fell off a cliff so to speak and became very reserved on the skin. But those 4 hours were incredible--bright, vibrant, dynamic, and bursting with the aroma of fresh pear. Beautiful, and it literally shot across the room as far as projecting. I loved that stuff. I had the marble bottle of it without the marbles. So that style but before the marbles were added when I believe they were still 50ml's of juice.

The extrait came next, in the gothic style bottles. It was a bit darker and smoother overall, had very good longevity of 10 hours plus, and had a more consistent performance...no cliff diving here, but instead a steady projection not too far off the body but not too close either, maybe about a foot and a half or two feet. The bright pear got dialed back a bit in favor of a stronger creamy olive/cocnut base.

Then he re-released the EDP again around 2017. He put a few marbles in these bottles, but they had no etching on the front, and were in the gothic style. This was a very nice version, though not as Nuclear as the EDP. Actually, it was very well balanced, with strong projection for a good 3 or 4 hours followed by gradual reduction in projection. This also brought the brightness back, and I think it was a little more tart from what I recall. This was a very limited run and not a lot was produced.

Now we have the new bottle styles of P+O, which to me feels like a brighter, better projecting version of the original extrait that was produced in the gothic bottles. It almost seems like the EDP to me except it's not as strong in terms of projection, and may be a little bit darker than the EDP. But I prefer it to the extrait that was released in the gothic bottles.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    The EDP version with the marbles was my favorite version. It had NUCLEAR projection for about 4 hours wherein it suddenly fell off a cliff so to speak and became very reserved on the skin. But those 4 hours were incredible--bright, vibrant, dynamic, and bursting with the aroma of fresh pear. Beautiful, and it literally shot across the room as far as projecting. I loved that stuff. I had the marble bottle of it without the marbles. So that style but before the marbles were added when I believe they were still 50ml's of juice.

The extrait came next, in the gothic style bottles. It was a bit darker and smoother overall, had very good longevity of 10 hours plus, and had a more consistent performance...no cliff diving here, but instead a steady projection not too far off the body but not too close either, maybe about a foot and a half or two feet. The bright pear got dialed back a bit in favor of a stronger creamy olive/cocnut base.

Then he re-released the EDP again around 2017. He put a few marbles in these bottles, but they had no etching on the front, and were in the gothic style. This was a very nice version, though not as Nuclear as the EDP. Actually, it was very well balanced, with strong projection for a good 3 or 4 hours followed by gradual reduction in projection. This also brought the brightness back, and I think it was a little more tart from what I recall. This was a very limited run and not a lot was produced.

Now we have the new bottle styles of P+O, which to me feels like a brighter, better projecting version of the original extrait that was produced in the gothic bottles. It almost seems like the EDP to me except it's not as strong in terms of projection, and may be a little bit darker than the EDP. But I prefer it to the extrait that was released in the gothic bottles.
    Excellent info/write up. Thanks for making the effort! I have the non-etching Ltd edition formulation but that’s my only reference for this scent. Projection is pretty strong- I wore it last week and my wife walked in the room a good 5ft away and immediately wanted to know what I was wearing.
    Currently wearing: Opus VI by Amouage

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

Thank you! I think it's the first gothic bottle/extrait that I am searching for - it's the creamy olive/coconut base I adored!
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

I really hope Josh comes out with his fall collection. If not I'm going to kick myself for passing on a bottle of Ore.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    I saw that earlier. If I hadn't bought Naylor's partial yesterday I would have scooped that up

I own a fortune's worth of Slumberhouse at this point since I've been a fan for a long time. (including some obscure ones) I'm also following what might be upcoming fragrances with great anticipation, but I've got to say that I'm in the camp that wishes Josh were clearer about what he's doing. He's amazingly gifted as a perfumer but it's not unreasonable for people to want to know if/when they can buy a bottle of his perfume.

He is the Hamlet of fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I own a fortune's worth of Slumberhouse at this point since I've been a fan for a long time. (including some obscure ones) I'm also following what might be upcoming fragrances with great anticipation, but I've got to say that I'm in the camp that wishes Josh were clearer about what he's doing. He's amazingly gifted as a perfumer but it's not unreasonable for people to want to know if/when they can buy a bottle of his perfume.
    Currently wearing: Monsieur Carven by Carven

Basenotes Member

I am the Hamless of fragrances.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctboom View Post
    He is the Hamlet of fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Ore by Slumberhouse

Another Instagram live-stream night beach walk from the man tonight. No spoken dialogue, but Josh did make a few comments:

"home"

"I'm in a little cove. If I stay much longer and the tide cuts off the escape, have to sleep here - it's happened before"

other user: "Do you like poplar buds? I have some tincture I'd love to share with you if you do?"

Josh: "I love all poplar. MD, absolute, balsam. Use quite a bit in Sova"

"Smells like salt and moss here. Too dark on cam. I love you. Heavy rain now. Gotta run"

New Sibet

I'm wearing (and trying) New Sibet for the first time. It's one of only a handful of Slumberhouse's I still hadn't tried as of today. I've got to say, for all the abstract talk I've heard about this ("it's like a bleak desert at the edge of the world after the apocalypse,"etc.), it's a pretty normal, underwhelming scent. Not underwhelming in a bad way necessarily, it's just fairly simple, with not much more to it than meets the eye.

For me, it starts out smelling like some kind of putty material I've encountered somewhere before, possibly as a child, and then becomes largely like the base in some kind of powerhouse fougere or chypre from the 80's. It smells like the base of Antaeus or Polo or something like that (more Antaeus, definitely). I get civet and castoreum, oakmoss, sandalwood...pretty standard stuff at one point in time in perfumery. It's very good in this regard. It's definitely a proper tribute. It seems like LANZ used New Sibet's base to some degree, although LANZ has a lot of other stuff going on in the heart and on the top of it. LANZ is a masterpiece, in my opinion.

Anyway, it's a good one insofar as it accurately and respectfully portrays that certain powerhouse base of 80's era masculines, and if you're in the mood for that, reaching for a bottle of New Sibet should satisfy your craving. But it kind of ends there for me. Other than serving that purpose and reflecting those qualities, it doesn't do too much else for me or take me to many other places. At the same time, it doesn't hit any discordant, miss-moshed moments, and steers totally clear of any "potpourri" like qualities. Overall it's well done but could include more. I felt similarly about Sixes and Sevens--which is similar except it's a singular focus on sandalwood and oud. If Slumberhouse released something called "The Base Series," I think 6's+7's, and New Sibet could be part of it, as they seem like very full, complete bases, but are more or less missing any significant top notes (intentionally, it seems).

EDIT: I think I just got the abstract desert reference. More a description of its composition than actual smell. It makes sense now. My fault for casting it aside too early.

P + O is off the website.
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Vagrant View Post
    P + O is off the website.
    Oh man, too bad. It was on there when I purchased Kiste just this morning. It was next on my "to buy" list.

That full bottle of Jeke sold for over $500 on ebay, madness. I was lucky enough to grab a bottle from Josh earlier in the year, but for my sake and everyone else's I desperately hope he re-releases it (and the rest of the potential fall lineup) again in September. Tarnet and another new one are slated for release at that time, but I would even be content with only the re-releases.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by junior_surgeon View Post
    That full bottle of Jeke sold for over $500 on ebay, madness. I was lucky enough to grab a bottle from Josh earlier in the year, but for my sake and everyone else's I desperately hope he re-releases it (and the rest of the potential fall lineup) again in September. Tarnet and another new one are slated for release at that time, but I would even be content with only the re-releases.
    How did you get one earlier this year? Did you just ask him?

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I'm probably not the first person to make the connection, but with these cryptic "long walk on the beach" instagram videos, my first thought was Mare. Beach and ocean/la mer/la mar/mare, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    How did you get one earlier this year? Did you just ask him?
    Not speaking for Jr.S but Josh did offer something like 6 bottles of Jeke via instagram earlier this year. I think they were lumped in with some additional Sixes & Sevens and a few other things.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I'm probably not the first person to make the connection, but with these cryptic "long walk on the beach" instagram videos, my first thought was Mare. Beach and ocean/la mer/la mar/mare, etc.

Not speaking for Jr.S but Josh did offer something like 6 bottles of Jeke via instagram earlier this year. I think they were lumped in with some additional Sixes & Sevens and a few other things.
    Ahhh... I might have been in on that. I scored a large bottle of Ore and missed on the Brosse. If there was Jeke it was long gone by the time I got on. Thanks for reminding me!

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    This is it. There was the Instagram sale at the end of 2018 where some 100ml bottles were sold (including Brosse), and then when he made an Instagram post in early april (re)announcing Kiste he mentioned that there were a few bottles of Sixes & Sevens and Jeke from 2014/15 that he'd found for sale via email. I was lucky enough to score one of those.

I'm really surprised nothing new has been released at this point. Closing in on fall. Almost a year after we thought new stuff was going to he released last year.

Basenotes Plus

This is it. There was the Instagram sale at the end of 2018 where some 100ml bottles were sold (including Brosse), and then when he made an Instagram post in early april (re)announcing Kiste he mentioned that there were a few bottles of Sixes & Sevens and Jeke from 2014/15 that he'd found for sale via email. I was lucky enough to score one of those.
    Awesome and congrats! If you ever decide to move that bottle I’ll buy it. I’ve been after one for ages...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I'm really surprised nothing new has been released at this point. Closing in on fall. Almost a year after we thought new stuff was going to he released last year.
    Yeah, me too. Still hoping Kote will be released...sometime...this year...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    yeah I'm starting to think that perhaps it was MORE than just victorialand that caught fire. maybe his entire stock disappeared? by that i mean the stuff that was likely unbottled and maturing/macerating...
    fingers crossed there's more stuff on the horizon...

Basenotes Member

I swear,
    ...with my own obsessions on SH, and nothing new-news-wise from Josh keeping me grounded,

I’m feeling the steady slide into fetal position because,

...I’m not that disciplined nor have unlimited disposable fragrance monies,

And I NEED a new juice or five.

I hope Josh comes through soon.
    I hope I’m lucky enough to get in on something before it’s gone.
    I hope I have the resources to get it done on my end.

I check everyday. My wheels are smokin.’

I need to continue to up my meditation game.

Nonetheless-

Josh I appreciate you tremendously. When you’re ready I am too!!!
    Currently wearing: Ore by Slumberhouse

The shop has now disappeared off of the website.

Dependent

That could be a good sign.

Or not.

Hi all, I'd like to start by stating that I know everyone has been frustrated with the inconsistent/lack of communication, but if we could tone down that criticism this time around that would be lovely. I'm not trying to hold information ransom but it is frustrating to share news when it is only met with only negativity. I am not saying that Josh or Slumberhouse are above criticism, but I think we are well aware of everyone's feelings here, let's not go down that road again.

That being said...

Here are a few correspondence excerpts from Josh that have been shared with his express permission:

"I used to use IG to update but as I could never stick to the script it turned out to do more harm (misinformation) than good. "

"As for the shop closing, Fumerie and Luckyscent are now stocked, and Lulua (in Poland) will have their stock in a few days. Now that my retailers are stocked I’ve chosen to shut down my own shop so I can focus on getting all the autumn stuff prepared, bottled and ready to go."

"Also, I should note Pear + Olive is discontinued. I was hoping to keep it around but a necessary raw material is no longer being produced by the only extractor I know of who worked with this material. After an exhaustive search lasting nearly 6 months and yielding no good news, I’m left with no choice but to discontinue it. Should the ingredient become available again I will bring it back, but from what I can gather I assume the discontinuation of Pear + Olive is permanent. Kiste, Sadanne and Grev will be ‘vaulted’ here in about a week or two, though will likely see the light of day again in spring of 2020.

I kept the news of P+O silent so I could sell through the bottles to those who wanted them. Sometimes, when I mention an impending shortage, a lot of orders come in and then those same bottles end up on eBay for insane prices. I just wanted to avoid that this time around."

"The current casks of Mare and Sova aren’t yet ready, but should be in another couple of weeks."

"And yes, Sova, Norne, Jeke, Ore, Baque and Sibet will be coming in the not so distant future. There’s something else I’d like to add, but I’ll do that once we get closer to the perfumes being released."

my thought was right that i found it weird for not seeing P+O being stock at other stockist.
    glad that i got my back up bottle last week...

Made my day!

Any news on Kote and Tarnet? Also...do you know if he re-did Victorialand?

Thanks for sharing!

Basenotes Plus

"The current casks of Mare and Sova aren’t yet ready, but should be in another couple of weeks."

"And yes, Sova, Norne, Jeke, Ore, Baque and Sibet will be coming in the not so distant future. There’s something else I’d like to add, but I’ll do that once we get closer to the perfumes being released."

My wallet braces itself in anticipation for the re-releases.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Jaguar Mark II by Jaguar

Sounds like Pear + Olive is gone for good and he’s no longer supplying Twisted Lilly. Any mention of Kote?

Page 95 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast