Code of Conduct
Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 3035

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    I'm not bothered by it at all, have you actually seen how much a bottle of Sova or Jeke is going for on the second hand market? The fact that he is producing those at all can only be a positive thing.

As with anything other frag, I'll get some samples, and decide if it is worth it to me, and then drop the coin (or not).
    I've spent more than $200 bucks on bottles that I didn't like half as much as some of my SH, so if I like it, it's probably worth the price.

Are you bothered by the price increase?
    The problem is that Josh doesn’t exactly make it easy to sample, at least not since March of this year. He also doesn’t seem to make many sample packs because I believe they sold out very quickly last time. I think the only fair thing for Josh to pair with this price increase would be to offer the 15ml again, as junior_surgeon suggested above. Otherwise, I think he’s cutting out more of his already niche market.
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"

Quote Originally Posted by SubUmbra View Post
    The problem is that Josh doesn’t exactly make it easy to sample, at least not since March of this year. He also doesn’t seem to make many sample packs because I believe they sold out very quickly last time. I think the only fair thing for Josh to pair with this price increase would be to offer the 15ml again, as junior_surgeon suggested above. Otherwise, I think he’s cutting out more of his already niche market.
    I don't think he goes out of his way to make it hard to sample, I think it boils down to the underlying SH problem of production quantity.
    If he only makes (for arguments sake) say 100 bottles. The entire set of bottles will probably be sold, without any left over for samples. The scarcity, aka the inability to purchase existing scents has been my biggest pain point when trying to pick up his scents.

The scarcity, aka the inability to purchase existing scents has been my biggest pain point when trying to pick up his scents.
    Absolutely. He seems to really struggle with this. I'm not saying that's all his fault, and I do understand how hard it must be to teach yourself how to run a business when you're also creating arguably the most cult-followed scents on the market...

But I also can't help but feel like maybe if he sold more, made more of an effort to procure larger batches, he perhaps wouldn't have to raise the price as high as he's estimating. I'm no business person, it just seems like common sense.

Again, it is clear that he doesn't have much of a business background and he focuses more on the creative side of his business. I respect this creative fervor. But now that he's been in business for something like a decade, you'd think he would know enough to make an extra cask.

I could understand wanting to be conservative with a brand new creation that may or may not become the new Norne, but we're talking about the scarcity of scents -- like Norne -- that are widely regarded as in-demand, modern classics. If he made more, they'd sell. And he'd have that much more income.
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"

I'm not bothered by it at all, have you actually seen how much a bottle of Sova or Jeke is going for on the second hand market? The fact that he is producing those at all can only be a positive thing.

As with anything other frag, I'll get some samples, and decide if it is worth it to me, and then drop the coin (or not).
    I've spent more than $200 bucks on bottles that I didn't like half as much as some of my SH, so if I like it, it's probably worth the price.

Are you bothered by the price increase?
    Let's take a guess at the new price being $250. IMO that is a high price for 30ml. I understand your point about it being cheaper than the price that bottles are selling for on ebay but the only reason they're being sold for that much is because Slumberhouse hasn't supplied enough bottles to match demand for quite a while now.

The insane prices that a small amount of people pay on ebay, shouldn't be looked at as normal behaviour and then expect others to pay a similarly insane price. TBH, I think such a large price increase is a mistake but I've never ran a business so what do I know?
    Last edited by UncleBuck; 24th August 2019 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    Let's take a guess at the new price being $250. IMO that is a high price for 30ml. I understand your point about it being cheaper than the price that bottles are selling for on ebay but the only reason they're being sold for that much is because Slumberhouse hasn't supplied enough bottles to match demand for quite a while now.

The insane prices that a small amount of people pay on ebay, shouldn't be looked at as normal behaviour and then expect others to pay a similarly insane price. TBH, I think such a large price increase is a mistake but I've never ran a business so what do I know?
    So here's an interesting perspective (and a story). I took my daughter to see Taylor Swift last year, and was...shocked... at the prices. For whatever reason, I decided to ask ye olde google what the deal was. The premise of the article I read was basically, she sold out every one of the venues from her last tour at the "old" price. That meant she was leaving something like 50million (or something ridiculous) on the table by not charging more for the tickets. They wanted her to *almost* sell out the stadiums. The idea i suppose being there is a point that people won't pay, but that you want to get as close to that as possible without going over the top where you lose more sales than you make up income wise.

Honestly, given his past behavior, i doubt he's doing any thing that Machiavellian, I honestly think he's passing his costs along to the consumer (with a little padding to stabilize the price for a few years).

I was sort of thinking more like 210-225. The SH following is pretty hardcore, so even if he makes it $250, i'm about 93% certain he will sell out of all of his stock anyway. It feels a lot of people are really turned off by the price change, though I guess that's to be expected .... but in the end, I'm willing to bet it will only be a positive outcome for him.

I got into the hobby to find fragrances I really love, and I try and only keep bottles that really move me. Unfortunately, sometimes this hobby is stupid expensive, but I'm not really paying for the fragrance, but for how the fragrance makes me feel.

Going back to one of the earlier questions... I'll blind buy bottles of Jeke and Sova when they come out (on the strength of my love for some of his other frags). If I adore them, they go into rotation. If not, I'll sell/swap them. At least for those two, when i was worried it was gonna be like $600 to acquire them, 4-500 seems like a good deal now

Thinking back on it, he sold out of his supply of Sixes and Sevens in like.. 4 days or so. That was a $200 bottle from him (and was going for $275 after that)

Edit: Let me add that I got into SH last august, right after the 6&7s release, and at that point you couldn't find a SH scent *anywhere*. For me, the prices and availability have _always_ been semi-ridiculous, so I may be speaking from a warped perspective given some of early adopters who saw his original prices.

Basenotes Plus

I know I would chafe if the price was $250. At $200 I would consider several bottles that I've missed out on over the years, getting by with smaller decants and the like. Relatively small differences in price can make a big difference in public perception, which is why we see $199 sticker prices instead of $200.

I guess we'll soon see, but this recent phenomenon of small artisanal brands that make small batches with the expectation of selling out is not really a good sign for the marketplace, in my opinion. I mean, if it's just a business restraint on cost of materials that's one thing. If it's actually part of the overall business plan that bespeaks of cynicism and greed. And I don't think that's model, or at least I hope it isn't, for Lobb/Slumberhouse, Areej le dore, Bortnikoff, et al, but someone out there is going to do just that.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Yeah, I'll just get 2 bottles of what ever i buy and sell the other on ebay for 2x the price like everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Cwliias View Post
    Yeah, I'll just get 2 bottles of what ever i buy and sell the other on ebay for 2x the price like everyone else
    This is what the current Slumberhouse behavior is encouraging. After all, why not do this with a product that is expensive and limited? The more expensive and the more limited or erratic the availability the more this will occur.

Might not be a wise investment. Someone asked about availability on Instagram and he replied that there will be no shortages. He said there will be enough bottles for everyone.

Basenotes Member

Might not be a wise investment. Someone asked about availability on Instagram and he replied that there will be no shortages. He said there will be enough bottles for everyone.
    Now that, my dear UncleBuck, is music to my olfactory receptors!
    Currently wearing: Grev by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by PlayDough View Post
    Now that, my dear UncleBuck, is music to my olfactory receptors!
    Yes, and contradictory to what we've been experiencing as of late.

We shall see, I was planning on getting a couple of norne. But i might get Ore also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    This is what the current Slumberhouse behavior is encouraging.
    Well let's be fair here, it isn't SH behavior... it is ours. (The purchasers,,, the demand drives the price, not the supply)

You can't really sell at those prices. You can still see some ridiculously priced Sluberhouse's on eBay and they've been there for a while. Maybe you can sell a $160 bottle for $250, but over $300? Hardly..

Basenotes Plus

Well let's be fair here, it isn't SH behavior... it is ours. (The purchasers,,, the demand drives the price, not the supply)
    It's both, of course.

Scarcity of supply + high demand is creating these "asset bubbles", where speculators can come in, buy larger quantities with the reasonable expectation they'll at least make their money back and probably more by selling on the open market.

The danger for Slumberhouse is that with any bubble it will eventually burst, so setting a price too high could trigger that.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Quote Originally Posted by mszigetihu View Post
    You can't really sell at those prices. You can still see some ridiculously priced Sluberhouse's on eBay and they've been there for a while. Maybe you can sell a $160 bottle for $250, but over $300? Hardly..
    Zahd would absolutely pull more than 300. Probably closer to 500, but since it so rarely comes up for sale, its hard to tell.
    I think that 300 is probably the practical limit, with at least several of the older marble bottles easily commanding 250-300. (Though I would say it's generally the older, harder to aquire frags pulling in those prices. It seems like the flask bottles are somewhat reasonable.

The next question is that if most of the normal bottles can easily command $200+... is his price increase really outside what the market will bear?

Zahd would absolutely pull more than 300. Probably closer to 500, but since it so rarely comes up for sale, its hard to tell.
    I think that 300 is probably the practical limit, with at least several of the older marble bottles easily commanding 250-300. (Though I would say it's generally the older, harder to aquire frags pulling in those prices. It seems like the flask bottles are somewhat reasonable.

The next question is that if most of the normal bottles can easily command $200+... is his price increase really outside what the market will bear?
    If anything I feel like Josh would prefer to reduce the demand for his bottles with a price increase because it currently seems greater than what he's comfortable with. I think he'd rather do that instead of increase the quantity he makes to make more money. Very good chance we see a smaller size option though.

As for the secondary market, I don't imagine we'll see any more Zahd bottles go for any less than 700 going forward, too many expensive precedents have been set.

Dependent

It is still so HARD for me to understand how I ended up with not one, but TWO Zahd bottles when I first began collecting Slumberhouse - apparently, I had forgotten my strong dislike for it, so when it was offered the second time, I said yes - but that was the last time. No idea why it commands such a high price. Not his best work - certainly the coolest bottle design - loved the artwork!
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    It is still so HARD for me to understand how I ended up with not one, but TWO Zahd bottles when I first began collecting Slumberhouse - apparently, I had forgotten my strong dislike for it, so when it was offered the second time, I said yes - but that was the last time. No idea why it commands such a high price. Not his best work - certainly the coolest bottle design - loved the artwork!
    Have you smelled anything that smells similar to Zahd? I've heard people compare it to Relativamente Rosso by Bois 1920. Have you tried that one?

I've never tried Zahd so I have no idea if there's any similarity.

Have you smelled anything that smells similar to Zahd? I've heard people compare it to Relativamente Rosso by Bois 1920. Have you tried that one?

I've never tried Zahd so I have no idea if there's any similarity.
    I find some slight similarities between Zahd and Relativamente Rosso, but not enough to really make it a comparable scent. Bello Rabelo by Les Liquides Imaginaires comes a bit closer, but still not very close at all. Both of them have the boozy red wine/sherry vibe down, but neither has the deep syrupy cranberry/cherry. Love it or hate it, Zahd really is a very unique scent. Personally I adore it! It's blunt and bold, and extremely tenacious, like being choked by decadent ruby red velvet for 24 hours straight, lol! I am so glad that I managed to buy a bottle off evilbay before the price became astronomical.
    Slumberhouse addict!

Quote Originally Posted by LaDomna View Post
    I find some slight similarities between Zahd and Relativamente Rosso, but not enough to really make it a comparable scent. Bello Rabelo by Les Liquides Imaginaires comes a bit closer, but still not very close at all. Both of them have the boozy red wine/sherry vibe down, but neither has the deep syrupy cranberry/cherry. Love it or hate it, Zahd really is a very unique scent. Personally I adore it! It's blunt and bold, and extremely tenacious, like being choked by decadent ruby red velvet for 24 hours straight, lol! I am so glad that I managed to buy a bottle off evilbay before the price became astronomical.
    It sounds interesting. The added syrupy cranberry/cherry sounds like a great fit with the other notes. I wish I'd known about Zahd back when it was being sold at a sensible price.
    Last edited by UncleBuck; 27th August 2019 at 09:00 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    No idea why it commands such a high price. Not his best work - certainly the coolest bottle design - loved the artwork!
    Right there with you. I still have a sample that I sniff occasionally to remind me that I share your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by junior_surgeon View Post
    Very good chance we see a smaller size option
    Did he mention that in the update or smaller bottles exist before? Sorry, i'm not familiar with this. Would be really nice, though.

If I like Profumum Roma Arso, is Norne a safe/good blind buy? It seems like the only way I'll be able to get it is if I blind buy it when he releases more next month.
    Currently wearing: Tardes by Carner Barcelona

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    If I like Profumum Roma Arso, is Norne a safe/good blind buy? It seems like the only way I'll be able to get it is if I blind buy it when he releases more next month.
    The most definitive answer is "Maybe. Maybe not."

Arso is piney, but a lot more smokey. I don't see the two perfumes as all that similar, the Profumum products are all rich and luxurious perfumes, albeit on the simpler and often linear side. Slumberhouse has a different artisanal vibe. Norne and Arso both last a hell of long time too. And both will stain your clothes.
    Most worn:

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    The most definitive answer is "Maybe. Maybe not."

Arso is piney, but a lot more smokey. I don't see the two perfumes as all that similar, the Profumum products are all rich and luxurious perfumes, albeit on the simpler and often linear side. Slumberhouse has a different artisanal vibe. Norne and Arso both last a hell of long time too. And both will stain your clothes.
    I agree with this answer. I love both of these perfumes, although I wear Arso more frequently. They are quite different from each other with Norne being greener and less sweet and smokey. I do think though, that probably a lot of people who like one of these two would also like the other one.

I own them both and love them both because conifers are my thing and both fragrances have that note in them. Norne is much "thicker" and jam like, whereas Arso is more liquid and transparent. Not necessarily in smell, but definitely in density. When you put Norne on, it feels like you've completed a Native American ritual and then smeared yourself with this amazing smelling forest sap that's made up of fir resin, and other forest floor greeness. Arso feels more like you're spraying liquid from a bottle onto your skin that smells like pine and smokiness. Sorry if that's not very helpful, but that's my rambling thoughts on the two. I love them both, but of the two, I love Norne more...much more because it is an experience for me to wear it. It brings with it scent memory and causes me think of my Dad who is gone. So, It's the type of forest smell I grew up with.
    Currently wearing: Sélection Verte by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Do you live in the UK? I could send you a sample of Norne if you're in the UK.

I wish to balance out this price increase which seems more and more that it's going to be around a $50-80 increase he would go to 50ml bottles

I wish to balance out this price increase which seems more and more that it's going to be around a $50-80 increase he would go to 50ml bottles
    That would defeat the point I think, expect $225 per bottle.

Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 ... LastLast