Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

deadidol, you are a great ambassador. Josh has you to thank for my order today.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    As choosing where to begin is tough, here's a general overview of what you can expect from each one:

Norne = Coniferous forest floor with incense
    Sova = A boozy, dirty romp in the hay
    Baque = Creamy apricots with smoke and balmy resins
    Zahd = Berries and champa over a sandal wood and attar base
    Grev = Bracing clove scent that reminds of an icy stream
    Ore = Musky cocoa over rich sandalwood base
    Jeke = Leather and tobacco over resins and creamy benzoin
    Vikt = Licorice and incense over saps and resins
    P+O = Dry pear with a creamy, oily component
    Brosse = Dense, salty gourmand that mixes savory and sweet notes
    Sana = Leather and tagetes
    Flou = Slightly floral, grape type notes
    Eki = Fairly sweet white floral
    Kere = A food-y, curried immortelle
    Kote = Clementine over mahogany for a polished wood effect
    Mare = Highly vegetal vetiver
    This is a fantastic precis of the line. I vote that it be stickied somewhere, ready to be whipped out whenever anyone wants to know where to begin.

Anxiously awaiting my bottle of Zahd! Tempted to order samples of the new ones, but I'll wait and see what's included with Zahd.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all,

Per the request of the OP, I've merged the "Slumberhouse Top Dog" thread that was started today into the existing thread. It starts with post #48 by Magnus who's asking for suggestions on where to begin with the brand. Hopefully the merger is somewhat seamless Also, as a reminder, once we get the Huddler data back, I'll merge this thread into the pre-existing and extensive Slumberhouse thread.

As choosing where to begin is tough, here's a general overview of what you can expect from each one:

Norne = Coniferous forest floor with incense
    Sova = A boozy, dirty romp in the hay
    Baque = Creamy apricots with smoke and balmy resins
    Zahd = Berries and champa over a sandal wood and attar base
    Grev = Bracing clove scent that reminds of an icy stream
    Ore = Musky cocoa over rich sandalwood base
    Jeke = Leather and tobacco over resins and creamy benzoin
    Vikt = Licorice and incense over saps and resins
    P+O = Dry pear with a creamy, oily component
    Brosse = Dense, salty gourmand that mixes savory and sweet notes
    Sana = Leather and tagetes
    Flou = Slightly floral, grape type notes
    Eki = Fairly sweet white floral
    Kere = A food-y, curried immortelle
    Kote = Clementine over mahogany for a polished wood effect
    Mare = Highly vegetal vetiver

There are some more, but I think this covers the main releases.
    Arghhhh too many I want to try.

Deadidol tell Josh we need a sampler set ASAP.

Try being bossy for once, and tell him it is required and as friend you demand it!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

A couple of quick updates:

I'd guessed that the new Vikt contained sandalwood in my analysis of it, and indeed, it's got a lot of sandalwood in there as well as some attars that are quite similar to those that are in Zahd.

Sana and Mare are exactly the same as they've always been, but both are actually quite close to selling out. Vikt is in good supply, but it won't be recreated for similar reasons to Zahd.

Last, there will be a sale. Details will be coming soon on that one It's essentially a way to clear through some of the last of the current bottle stock in preparation for the new design. Given this, the sale might come and go quite fast depending on supply.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello again Deadidol,

are you going to suggest a sampler set for us plebs?

The two I have (and the little samples) are fabulous but I want more please sir!

regards

searoses
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Default Slumberhouse Discussion

Hi Sea Roses!

He's sort of phased out sampler sets as they were so time consuming to make (remember, it's just one guy doing everything by hand). Luckyscent and a couple of other distributors took over the handling of smaller samples, and the plan was to maybe sell 4ml samples for a little more. I think they're still available for purchase, but aren't advertised (I think Rowan- outlined why).

Also, keep in mind that the above list is more of a reference sheet for scents that come and go. What's part of the line right now is Norne, Jeke, P+O, and Ore. Vikt is a limited reissue.

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using the contact form on the website a few days ago. I was asking about samples of Sana, as the Vikt + Mare sample set just became available. I haven't heard back, but the juice of Sana might be too limited for samples as deadidol suggests. Kinda bummed I haven't gotten a reply, though.

Either way, I'll probably order the samples that are available next week. Looking forward to trying them.

EDIT: And deadidol answered my question whilst typing. Thank you.

1adam12, Sana is in very short supply, so that's one I'd jump on if you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks deadidol,

Really disappointed to know that they once existed.

It's a very addictive line and a bit frustrating that in the UK there is only a smaller selection......but Roullier White seem to be doing what they can to get a bigger selection.

Well done to him.....they are wonderful scents! My Sova is disappearing fast!!!!!!!!

And thanks very much for compiling the reference list.....very much appreciated.

kind regards

searoses

I'd check with RW to see if they have any remaining Sova -- they might!

Post Thanks / Like

Sova is still around isn't it???????

- - - Updated - - -

UK people, Sova and Norne are still at Roullier White........the other three are also great but these are really standouts.

Would suggest buying a sample if you can!

searoses

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Sova is still around isn't it???????
    Sova's been discontinued due to availability issues with the materials. Sadly, that's the nature of the line as he uses some pretty out there stuff. Vikt won't be remade after this batch, either. Zahd was released as a limited run of about 150 bottles or so, but sold out in less than a day. It's also one that won't be remade in this formulation as the central attar was commissioned just for this release.

Post Thanks / Like

The Vikt Extrait is absolutely stellar. I strongly urge people to give this one a try even if you didn't like the the older, Vikt EdP.

This reworking is so smooth and round and it loses the vegetal and sharp aspects of the EdP. Licorice/Incense as Deadidol describes it is right on but it is much more than just that. I think that it may appeal to those that like Ore, Jeke and even perhaps Sova and Norne.

Amazing stuff but I'm not surprised!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info DI. Do you know, or anyone else, if the Vikt being offered on the SH website is the new polished version or the original?
    I couldn't tell. Sent them an email about it, still waiting for reply.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and, any retailers in the States with Sova still in stock?
    thx again,

The Vikt on the website is indeed the new version. Sana might be lurking around a few online boutiques, but it's also available through the website as well (although the remaining stock is exceptionally low).

Oh, sorry -- I see you wrote Sova. I'm not sure, but you might check with Luckyscent or Twisted Lily.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh usually responds to my emails within a few days. Have not received any message from him since the pre-sale of Zahd. No tweets on twitter either. I am sure he is busy, or taking some time off before the release of Zahd. On the other hand I am so excited to get this new special fragrance that I can hardly stand it! Do you have any fresh inside information from Josh deadidol? Wondering if he got his new bottles...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

DEADIDOL - Thanks for the write-up. I am extremely interested in the new Vikt, but I still have a 15ml of the old stuff...so I guess I'll hold onto the old bottle for a while as it's super potent and will probably last me quite a while. I'm not too sure I like the fact the licorice/ginger snap vibe is amped up while the vegetal/metallic qualities are toned down...they are what I really liked about the old juice. The hardcore tenacity of the scent really mellows out after 6 or 7 hours and lays closer to the skin, creating a really nice scent.

Mare sounds super interesting to me as I'm a huge vetiver fan...However, I've heard from others that it's not exactly a vetiver? I like something different like LesNez Turtle Vetiver BACK...but I'd be buying Mare specifically for a quality vetiver representation and not something otherwise.

I'd love to get samples of Mare and Vikt, however, $17 seems a little steep for just 2ml of juice. I don't know if I'm being too stingy, I know Josh is a super generous generous guy. But I have to say I wasn't really impressed with Zahd. I found it to be extremely linear and kind of boring and I'd rather not spend the money if this is the direction the latest rounds of fragrances is going. And, I'm not sure if anyone would agree...but I can say the Extraits that I've bought blindly were a huge step down from the EDP versions that I had prior.

Black Friday is on the 29th this year and Cyber Monday is on December 2nd, that would be my guess...I think last year the sale was run on the 22nd. I'm sure Josh's very busy, even more so than last year....so who knows if we'll see one.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    Anybody?
    Last edited by rynegne; 19th November 2013 at 06:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My fear and guess is that it'll end up lasting about as long as the recent fragrancenet sale of Amouage, under 2 hours. I remember reading about it on the old thread, and my excitement was building up because the sale % was pretty significant. I was planning on picking up a minimum of 1 100 ml bottle and possibly smaller bottles of other stuff, but from what the knowledgeable deadidol hinted at, I'm not expecting much. Wish I had heard of Slumberhouse a year ago hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Josh usually responds to my emails within a few days. Have not received any message from him since the pre-sale of Zahd. No tweets on twitter either. I am sure he is busy, or taking some time off before the release of Zahd. On the other hand I am so excited to get this new special fragrance that I can hardly stand it! Do you have any fresh inside information from Josh deadidol? Wondering if he got his new bottles...
    Sorry, I've been gone all day and am just getting to this now. Josh is super busy with a bunch of stuff as well preparing for the sale. Zahd's ready to go, but it's just a matter of waiting for the packaging to be finished. He doesn't have a specific date as of yet (obviously he wants it ASAP), but it's looking more like the end of December as of right now. I know he'll release some updates as soon as he knows something more concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    DEADIDOL - Thanks for the write-up. I am extremely interested in the new Vikt, but I still have a 15ml of the old stuff...so I guess I'll hold onto the old bottle for a while as it's super potent and will probably last me quite a while. I'm not too sure I like the fact the licorice/ginger snap vibe is amped up while the vegetal/metallic qualities are toned down...they are what I really liked about the old juice. The hardcore tenacity of the scent really mellows out after 6 or 7 hours and lays closer to the skin, creating a really nice scent.

Mare sounds super interesting to me as I'm a huge vetiver fan...However, I've heard from others that it's not exactly a vetiver? I like something different like LesNez Turtle Vetiver BACK...but I'd be buying Mare specifically for a quality vetiver representation and not something otherwise.
    No ginger snaps in Vikt. The central composition is pretty much the same and instantly recognizable, but there's a grip of sandalwood and some new attars in there now. The licorice effect is a combo of ravensara, anise, fennel, and a few other things. It's a step up in that the composition now has much more breathing room and the overall aesthetic is refined.

As far as Mare goes, I find it to be unpleasant personally. If you liked the vegetal notes of the old Vikt, this is where they went! It's vetiver, yes, but not like what you'd fine in more commercial, palatable vetivers. This is a vegetal, and is almost putrid smelling.

I'd love to get samples of Mare and Vikt, however, $17 seems a little steep for just 2ml of juice. I don't know if I'm being too stingy, I know Josh is a super generous generous guy. But I have to say I wasn't really impressed with Zahd. I found it to be extremely linear and kind of boring and I'd rather not spend the money if this is the direction the latest rounds of fragrances is going. And, I'm not sure if anyone would agree...but I can say the Extraits that I've bought blindly were a huge step down from the EDP versions that I had prior.
    You might want to check the sample size as I think it was increased to the 4ml bottles before they were pulled from the site (are they even still up there?) Zahd's by far the most developed and complex thing he's produced. It took about two years to finish and went through many iterations before it ended up where it is now. On me, it's controlled in that the overall profile is more stabilized with smoother transitions, but it's still mercurial in that the berries and the champa vacillate back and forth in a way that I've never really experienced in perfume before. And this is indeed a direction shift in that he's moved away extreme volume and projection to something a more tasteful and civilized. While I do love the old EdP's, the polish that I've seen in Ore, Zahd, and now Vikt doesn't just represent a step forward, it's a leap. The unusual and rare materials that were expressionistically deployed in the past are now being refined for a much more impressive product overall. While some might view it as a taming down of the line, the materials and blends are as weird as ever, only now they're just more tastefully rendered.

Black Friday is on the 29th this year and Cyber Monday is on December 2nd, that would be my guess...I think last year the sale was run on the 22nd. I'm sure Josh's very busy, even more so than last year....so who knows if we'll see one.
    It should be the day after thanksgiving. If anything changes, I'll post it. It might not run as long as it has in the past though as his bottle stock is slightly limited.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Deadidol, I think I'll pass on the Mare based on your description and from what I've heard from others. I can agree with you that the Extraits are much smoother and appealing to others. However, I'm missing the semi-abrasive qualities that made Slumberhouse THE authority for all perfumes different. The house still is out there and I totally understand trying to increase the marketability of the product. It would just be nice to have some stability on what's offered, possibly limited runs of EDPs which I'm guessing quite a few people miss. I'll probably end up getting the new Vikt, hopefully during the sale, even though it's a really pricy blind buy. I miss the days you could pick up a 15ml from indiescents!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Deadidol, I think I'll pass on the Mare based on your description and from what I've heard from others. I can agree with you that the Extraits are much smoother and appealing to others. However, I'm missing the semi-abrasive qualities that made Slumberhouse THE authority for all perfumes different. The house still is out there and I totally understand trying to increase the marketability of the product. It would just be nice to have some stability on what's offered, possibly limited runs of EDPs which I'm guessing quite a few people miss. I'll probably end up getting the new Vikt, hopefully during the sale, even though it's a really pricy blind buy. I miss the days you could pick up a 15ml from indiescents!
    I agree with a lot of what has been said here--but I guess I am one of those who prefer the new extraits to the edps.

In the meantime I got my samples of Vikt and Mare and while I respect their construction, they just weren't my style and I won't be buying a bottle. The new Vikt is particularly impressive, and I imagine if you like the old one (I was on the fence about it myself), the new one will be a bit of an upgrade. I enjoyed it and I admire it, but it doesn't give me that warm, enveloping feeling that I so admire in Jeke, Ore, Sova (the three SH perfumes that I love).

Nevertheless I would not blind buy it (unless I really loved the old edp, in which case I might do it), and I am very happy that I paid the money for the samples rather than going in for the blind buy this time.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    The new Vikt is particularly impressive, and I imagine if you like the old one (I was on the fence about it myself), the new one will be a bit of an upgrade. I enjoyed it and I admire it, but it doesn't give me that warm, enveloping feeling that I so admire in Jeke, Ore, Sova (the three SH perfumes that I love).
    Yeah, I think it's colder than those—largely because it's less gourmand-y (unless you consider raw licorice a form of sustenance). It's also got a slightly medicinal note that comes from the ravensara (I think). And I'm with you on the improved formulation, too—probably because I generally dislike scents that project too far, but mainly because the extrait versions have more structure to them and demonstrate a new mastery of some otherwise unwieldily materials.

[EDIT]: FWIW, I'm wearing CdG Black today, and there are some parallels between it and Vikt. Vikt's more medicinal whereas Black's more smoky industrial. Vikt's more developed and organic, whereas Black's quite straight forward. There are a considerable number of differences (Black relies on pepper, synthetic woods, and birch tar whereas Vikt is more licorice-dominant with a richer base) and the aesthetics of both scents couldn't be further removed, but one might at least offer a ballpark impression of what to expect with the other.

Someone else might be able to make a better argument for Mare than I can as I know some people do genuinely enjoy it. Contrary to what might be expected, there are a number of releases that don't move me in any way, and a few that I genuinely dislike. Mare's definitely the latter for me, but those of you who enjoy Duchaufour's more stemmy deliveries (Sienne l'Hiver spring to mind) might appreciate it.
    Last edited by deadidol; 20th November 2013 at 03:47 PM.

Anyone else think he's releasing too muhc, too fast:?

Well, only two new releases (Zahd and Mare) in a few years, right? Everything else is a reissue. You'd be amazed at how much he's not releasing!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, only two new releases (Zahd and Mare) in a few years, right?
    Yeah, not enough releases! I'm excited to see Zahd and what comes after

Who knows - I mean I've seen a lot of releases I've never been able to try because they're so limited that I literally have no idea how to try it (eg: Kote). And then each re-released version and older vesrion are "versions" to me, so who knows. Just my opinion, tho

I want Mare + Vikt badly, but $250 is out of my budget right now.

^ you know about the upcoming sale, right?

WHAT? When, what prices, etc? Details!

^ Should be next week. Hefty savings. Specifics will be available soon

Thanks. Any pictures of the new bottles?

Nothing on the new bottles yet; they're still in production. Zahd will be the first and that should inaugurate the new look.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

You'd be amazed at how much he's not releasing!
    Exactly! To be a fly on that wall...

Post Thanks / Like

...I miss the days you could pick up a 15ml from indiescents!
    So far apart from Pear and Olive, I've loved everything from Slumberhouse although I find Norne a bit challenging and not very wearable. I feel that P&O doesn't fit in with the rest but it does smell pretty good on my girlfriend, very coconutty.

As per the above statement, I too would like to see 15ml bottles being sold since I tend to be cautious when it comes to spraying and don't use much, 30ml would last me too long, the scents being as potent as they are.

I have to say that Slumberhouse is one of the few that has really impressed me with its truly different scents that stand apart.

He said on Twitter last night that the sale will happen all day on November 29th, and the savings will be (rather oddly), 33%. This essentially means you get a bottle for $85 instead of $125.
    Fragrance blog returning in May 2014!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    He said on Twitter last night that the sale will happen all day on November 29th, and the savings will be (rather oddly), 33%. This essentially means you get a bottle for $85 instead of $125.
    Thanks for the update!

Do you, or deadidol, or anyone know if everything will be on sale, or just the 4 current (non-limited) offerings? I am considering Vikt.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

It'll be the 30ml and 100ml bottles of Norne, Vikt, Jeke, Ore, and P+O.

Starts Friday, 33% off, limited stock, so jump on it if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like

That is great to know, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

It'll be the 30ml and 100ml bottles of Norne, Vikt, Jeke, Ore, and P+O.

Starts Friday, 33% off, limited stock, so jump on it if you're interested.
    Thanks for the information--do you mean Friday Nov 29 (as it was mentioned on his twitter feed) or this Friday?!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a huge fan of BLACK, the birch tar reminds me too much of T-Gel and kills it for me. But I can definitely know the similarities you're referring to, both have this sticky semi-sweet and very dark...palpable qualities. Of course, I'm speaking of the EDP Vikt...but I would say the two are still similar...Vikt being resiny/dark...metallic sludge industrial (awesome stuff!), Black being tary/cloying and industrial as you say. I'm definitely going to get a bottle during the sale.

And Deadidol - I guess I should rephrase from earlier...Zahd isn't "boring." That's a poor choice of words, nothing from the house has really been boring since I started sampling the house two years ago. I do agree that the Extraits are much more smoothly presented to the customer. The only thing is I think the recent stuff is missing the abrasiveness and rigidity of the old juice. That's something I really enjoyed about the line...the fact that it was in your face and a little too brash for some, if not most. I enjoyed the fact that I could wear something to work or out at a a bar and say WTF are you wearing...old stuff had some shock value (especially Rume/Vikt/Baque.) But, you really do have to appeal to all parties as an up and coming perfumery...not just those seeking something too radical. I'm really interested to see what creations will come in the next couple years here. Sova was a frickin' gem and I wish I wasn't allergic to some component in it that gave me the headache of drinking 15 IPAs and a couple whiskey shots.

I'm wearing CdG Black today, and there are some parallels between it and Vikt.

While I do love the old EdP's, the polish that I've seen in Ore, Zahd, and now Vikt doesn't just represent a step forward, it's a leap. The unusual and rare materials that were expressionistically deployed in the past are now being refined for a much more impressive product overall. While some might view it as a taming down of the line, the materials and blends are as weird as ever, only now they're just more tastefully rendered.
    Last edited by rynegne; 20th November 2013 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Thanks for the information--do you mean Friday Nov 29 (as it was mentioned on his twitter feed) or this Friday?!
    29th! Sorry!

He'll send an email out this week.

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree that the Extraits are much more smoothly presented to the customer. The only thing is I think the recent stuff is missing the abrasiveness and rigidity of the old juice. That's something I really enjoyed about the line...the fact that it was in your face and a little too brash for some, if not most. I enjoyed the fact that I could wear something to work or out at a a bar and say WTF are you wearing...old stuff had some shock value (especially Rume/Vikt/Baque.) But, you really do have to appeal to all parties as an up and coming perfumery...not just those seeking something too radical. I'm really interested to see what creations will come in the next couple years here. Sova was a frickin' gem and I wish I wasn't allergic to some component in it that gave me the headache of drinking 15 IPAs and a couple whiskey shots.
    Yeah, that's an understandable concern. The whole "outlaw perfumer" thing that kind of got attached to him and others was sort of characterized by a certain dispensation of "the rules" that I appreciated (still do) from several prominent indies. I'd argue, though, that whereas some of these lines perhaps drift a little too close to hobbyist, there's something more at work here—an innate, and oftentimes surprising talent that we get to see become increasingly pointed and refined. It's kind of fun to be along for the ride!

There are a few other indie lines that are producing more out there stuff, but the distinction here tends to be in the materials—the expense of which (and availability of) render SH as quite different.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree and I'm definitely happy to see the company grow and garner the attention and respect it deserves. I don't think we'll have to worry about the "outlaw perfumer" attachment going away anytime soon. Slumberhouse is still by far some of the most innovate stuff out there and way more "outlaw" than the commercial drone crap out there. I'm hoping for Josh to do something that's based predominantly on wood notes, a Wonderwood done right...I think he would really make something awesome.

I'd argue, though, that whereas some of these lines perhaps drift a little too close to hobbyist, there's something more at work here—an innate, and oftentimes surprising talent that we get to see become increasingly pointed and refined. It's kind of fun to be along for the ride!

There are a few other indie lines that are producing more out there stuff, but the distinction here tends to be in the materials—the expense of which (and availability of) render SH as quite different.

Also, I revisited Rume a few days ago as it's always been one of my favorites in the Slumberhouse line...The stuff is out of this world. The weird concoction of muddled fruits and spices really draws a holiday esque picture in my head. On top of the awesome fragrant memories I was getting from the stuff, it's still quite pungent on my jacket sleeves after about a week...really tenacious stuff.
    Last edited by rynegne; 21st November 2013 at 12:53 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh shit. I had no idea Sova was discontinued. I'm wearing it from a sample today. Loving it. Guess I better act fast if I want a bottle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, happened a few months ago. There was still supply at LuckyScent the last time I checked. I guess it's too costly to make and hard to find certain rare elements of the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh shit. I had no idea Sova was discontinued. I'm wearing it from a sample today. Loving it. Guess I better act fast if I want a bottle.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

29th! Sorry!

He'll send an email out this week.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's an understandable concern. The whole "outlaw perfumer" thing that kind of got attached to him and others was sort of characterized by a certain dispensation of "the rules" that I appreciated (still do) from several prominent indies. I'd argue, though, that whereas some of these lines perhaps drift a little too close to hobbyist, there's something more at work here—an innate, and oftentimes surprising talent that we get to see become increasingly pointed and refined. It's kind of fun to be along for the ride!

Agree - the use of quality materials is definitely one of the reasons for my purchases from this line.

Random question: Does anyone know how to pronounce Jeke? I've been saying it Je-key, but I suppose it could be Jeh-eek, Gee-Kee, etc.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I think of it as "jeh-keh" but I say "jeek" when discussing it. Norne is "nor-neh" in my head, but I pronounce it similar to "Lorne" (as in the SNL head honcho) when talking about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think "jeek" and "norn" but since Josh has said they are made up words, I guess he is the only authority (and the people who have heard him pronounce them).

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Random question: Does anyone know how to pronounce Jeke? I've been saying it Je-key, but I suppose it could be Jeh-eek, Gee-Kee, etc.
    I don't think there's anything official about the names or the pronunciations. You'll notice that he goes to great lengths to minimize authorial presence so that the reader can imprint their own ideas onto the scent -- a rarity given the way the standard industry seeks to advertise/promise certain narratives of sex and success. This is a very conscious move, and quite an effective one I think.

In the late '60s, there was a famous essay published by a French theorist named Roland Barthes. The essay was called "The Death of the Author" and argued that authorship was little more than an arrangement of pre-existing cultural attributes and that meaning was given by the recipient, essentially rendering the reader / viewer as the true Authority. There's a similar gesture at work here, both in the scents, but also in the naming. So really, it's whatever you think it should be.

I don't think there's anything official about the names or the pronunciations. You'll notice that he goes to great lengths to minimize authorial presence so that the reader can imprint their own ideas onto the scent -- a rarity given the way the standard industry seeks to advertise/promise certain narratives of sex and success. This is a very conscious move, and quite an effective one I think.

In the late '60s, there was a famous essay published by a French theorist named Roland Barthes. The essay was called "The Death of the Author" and argued that authorship was little more than an arrangement of pre-existing cultural attributes and that meaning was given by the recipient, essentially rendering the reader / viewer as the true Authority. There's a similar gesture at work here, both in the scents, but also in the naming. So really, it's whatever you think it should be.
    I get what you are saying and I remember reading an interview where he talked about how the Fragrances all have made up words as names (except Ore now, which is a real word), and that it was to make it so that people experiencing his perfumes had no preconceived notions. Still, I ask mostly because when someone asks me what I am wearing, or I try to tell someone what I am wearing, saying something like "Je-Key" sounds a little odd by comparison to "jeek."

- - - Updated - - -

So I just got my bottle of Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors from Parfum1, and with it they sent me Sana and Flou! I've never smelled either of them, but so far Flou (which my mother is now wearing) smells great!

Big thumbs up for Parfum1 somehow knowing my tastes.

Just a heads-up for those of you who are planning on hitting the Slumberhouse sale tomorrow:

The stock is fairly limited, especially on Norne, so if that one's on your list, I'd get your order in early. Everything else is subject to bottle availability as this sale is a way to blaze through the last of the current bottle style in preparation of the new one coming in at the end of December. The sale might wrap up early if the bottles sell out, and for anyone who was thinking about passing up the sale and buying closer to the holidays, there may be a delay in the interim between bottle switchover.

As a reminder, the sale starts tomorrow and it's 33% off the regular line-up (30ml / 100ml bottles of Norne, P+O, Jeke, Vikt, and Ore).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks deadidol. Any idea when the sale starts? Sounds like I better be as prepared as possible since Norne is in fact one of the items I'm targeting

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    thanks deadidol. Any idea when the sale starts? Sounds like i better be as prepared as possible since norne is in fact one of the items i'm targeting
    12:01 pst!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again!

http://www.slumberhouse.com/shop/

Sale prices are up -- have fun, everyone!

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

O.K. - going to have a look now!

- - - Updated - - -

Yay - one Ore on the way - hope the sale goes well!

Just got my order in, that's my Christmas presents for me sorted! Thanks deadidol and Josh!
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe - thanks guys & best wishes for 2014!

Post Thanks / Like

Attention Slumberhouse shoppers!

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a 30ml extrait of Ore (a no-brainer) and Mare (I love this stuff).