Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    to each their own; but i'm also against these type of layering, particularly with such complex & well made parfums like Zahd & Jeke.
    Feeling a little left out here being somewhat Zahd-less, but don't personally feel that I'd play around with something that complex either - although good luck to those who do!

Zahd/Jeke Layering

Hi, all. Not sure this will make sense to anyone else, but I figured it out! To me, Jeke is a very male fragrance. All tobacco and leather and earth and such, but so glorious I just had to buy a bottle. Wearing it was another thing. I mean I'm not afraid of powerful scents, but I don't want to smell like a guy. One day, sniffing my Zahd sample, inspiration came out of the blue. Pair the fruitier Zahd with macho Jeke. Result? Heaven! I've since done more testing and it doesn't work with Jeke and lesser fruity or floral scents. For Jeke, that's like slumming. It only works with equally classy Zahd! The result isn't feminine by any stretch, but it's something I can comfortably wear to experience the genius of Jeke. Hurrah!
    Last edited by ScentFan; 22nd December 2013 at 11:06 PM.

Silly question - but how is it the genius of Jeke if it's mixed with something else?
    I'm probably not the best person to understand the experiment as I adore a lot of traditionally marketed 'girly' scents but don't actually find Jeke 'macho' at all.
    Last edited by lpp; 22nd December 2013 at 11:31 PM.

to each their own; but i'm also against these type of layering, particularly with such complex & well made parfums like Zahd & Jeke.
    I gotta agree. To each, her/his own and I am intrigued that it worked for someone but ultimately, these are specific, complex and artistic creations that took a lot of time to conceive and they stand on their own. Blasphemy is one word that comes to my mind when I read of layering Slumberhouse fragrances. Well, nothing like that but you get my drift! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I gotta agree. To each, her/his own and I am intrigued that it worked for someone but ultimately, these are specific, complex and artistic creations that took a lot of time to conceive and they stand on their own. Blasphemy is one word that comes to my mind when I read of layering Slumberhouse fragrances. Well, nothing like that but you get my drift! :-)
    Maybe genderising perfumes is just a complication?

Wow, you guys aren't kidding? There are really scent police?

No, just trying to understand!

Like I wouldn't mix 24, Faubourg with Caleche, or Amouage Gold with Epic Woman.

Is it maybe just about different styles of scent?
    I dislike the 'blackberry jam', cloyingly sweet stuff, or the throat-catching things or the generic drydown ones so just avoid them.
    Last edited by lpp; 23rd December 2013 at 12:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Wow, you guys aren't kidding? There are really scent police?
    YOU RANG?

Just kidding. The only scent police are a few mods who can't agree on anything, either.

LAYERING TO SOME:

LAYERING TO OTHERS:

GOOD TIMES LAYERING SURPRISE!

I don't see why layering has to be viewed either negatively or positively. To me, it can easily be a transparency mash-up of two images, or a song mash-up. Not everybody likes that. And if you can focus on them separately, it's a lot like putting up two paintings - possibly by the same artist - next to each other, and trying to take them in at the same time.

Recombination of art is usually a lesser art, to me, but still art.

LOL! I see the problem. We're all total Slumberhouse fans. FWIW, if all the perfume houses vanished from the face of the earth EXCEPT Slumberhouse, I'd say, "Well, at least we've still got the best." I wasn't speaking for others by any stretch, just for me. I've bought every Slumberhouse I can get my hands on and I plan to buy everything he ever makes. Oh, except Ore. Keep forgetting. Must buy Ore.

Already in my collection are Jeke, Pear + Olive and Vikt. I found and bought Eki, too, and was heartbroken to find it's got an ingredient which troubles my nose. Hearbroken! I adore these fragrances. I mean, never in my life did I think I'd deliberately by something out of sheer love (Jeke), believing I couldn't wear it. For me, Jeke feels very male. I'm not saying that applies to anyone else. Just me. You'd think I'd give it to my other half, since he liked it, too, but no. I can't give it up! He has to buy his own (or I'll buy as a gift). I bought Jeke so I could smell it myself whenever I want, despairing of ever wearing it. Again and again I tried and it hasn't work. For me, the idea of layering came out of sheer yearning to find a way to do more than sniff Jeke. My nose can smell both Jeke and Zahd together perfectly well and it's almost deliriously happy as a result. The thing is, I'm betting the guy at Slumberhouse wouldn't be mad at me. Have you seen his website? Seen how he refuses to be dictated to? Have you read between the lines his fierce independence and dedication to his art? This is a guy who has zero interest in group think. As a perfume user (and in other areas of life), I'm just like him. He's a creative rebel, an individualist. So am I. I worship right along with the rest of you at the altar of Slumberhouse. In my own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    YOU RANG?

Just kidding... Recombination of art is usually a lesser art, to me, but still art.
    I doubt if there's a single other instance where I'd combine accomplished perfumes. This was an emergency!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    No, just trying to understand!

Like I wouldn't mix 24, Faubourg with Caleche, or Amouage Gold with Epic Woman.

Is it maybe just about different styles of scent?
    I dislike the 'blackberry jam', cloyingly sweet stuff, or the throat-catching things or the generic drydown ones so just avoid them.
    I wouldn't mix those either!
    Last edited by ScentFan; 23rd December 2013 at 01:10 AM.

Blog Entries

LOL, I see the problem. We're all total Slumberhouse fans. FWIW, if all the perfume houses vanished from the face of the earth EXCEPT Slumberhouse, I'd say, "Well, at least we've still got the best." I wasn't speaking for others by any stretch, just for me. I've bought every Slumberhouse I can get my hands on and I plan to buy everything he ever makes. Oh, except Ore. Keep forgetting. Must buy Ore.

Already in my collection are Jeke, Pear + Olive and Vikt. I found and bought Eki, too, and was heartbroken to find it's got an ingredient which troubles my nose. Hearbroken! I adore these fragrances. I mean, never in my life did I think I'd deliberately by something out of sheer love (Jeke), believing I couldn't wear it. For me, Jeke feels very male. I'm not saying that applies to anyone else. Just me. You'd think I'd give it to my other half, since he liked it, too, but no. I can't give it up! He has to buy his own (or I'll buy as a gift). I bought Jeke so I could smell it myself whenever I want, despairing of ever wearing it. Again and again I tried and it hasn't work. For me, the idea of layering came out of sheer yearning to find a way to do more than sniff Jeke. My nose can smell both Jeke and Zahd together perfectly well and it's almost deliriously happy as a result. The thing is, I'm betting the guy at Slumberhouse wouldn't be mad at me. Have you seen his website? Seen how he refuses to be dictated to? Have you read between the lines his fierce independence and dedication to his art? This is a guy who has zero interest in group think. As a perfume user (and in other areas of life), I'm just like him. He's a creative rebel, an individualist. So am I. I worship right along with the rest of you at the altar of Slumberhouse. In my own way.
    Awesome post.

I totally hear you. Josh is a rebel - I don't think he's gonna be raining on your creativity, for experimenting with two results of his. What visual artist would b*tch upon walking into a light-show with two of his works being morphed and faded and projected about the event? I think you honor him in your own way. But you know - I think he would be equally happy to hear that some person thought his works need to be kept pristine in some way. He's the kind of person who is just going to let people be.

I know what you're saying about things that just seem too oppositely gendered. Many people fight and overcome the cultural fragrance gender concept. I'm not sure I want to. I have decided to take a certain amount of enjoyment in the sexualization of fragrances - to let their stereotypes and human stereotypes interact, and not worry about it. Others go against that grain, and I say power to them. But I love to let fragrances tell me stories about men and women and not in equal measure.

I own feminine Chanels that I wear in public, and others that I just want to smell. But sometimes I layer a feminine Chanel with a masculine Chanel, and it's usually good, and often something of a completely new character. Or I can break up the stereo and see a man and a woman together. That's pretty cool, too.

Enjoy!

Sure, if it works for you, enjoy it!

I don't have an issue with layering in general, and indeed, do whatever makes you happy. For me though, layering two very complex fragrances is kind of a waste of the time and effort that went into making them, and indeed the subtleties that are found in both. This is especially true of Slumberhouse fragrances, which I find to be very complex, and even after wearing one scent for a dozen or so wears, I am still finding new stuff about it.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I'm inclined to wonder whether the Jeke might drown the sandalwood & stuff, but I'm happy with mine anyway.

The problem is I just can't wear Jeke alone. I bought it because I love it, but when I put it on my skin, my brain cells scream "too male" and tell me to take it off. So saying I should wear it, is like saying guys should wear what they consider a female scent. Doesn't work. If it weren't for that, I'd wear Jeke because I think it's brilliant. So I'm left to either give it away, sell it, or trade it. Then an thought came. What would happen if I mixed it with Zahd? The result, to my nose, was utter bliss.

There's no more to the story than that. I'm not on a mission to change what others think/do.

As for Zahd, I still have the test strip from days ago. The scent's still there and it's incredible. In its own way, it's as strong as Jeke. I can and will wear it for its own merits. Mixed together, these potent fragrances happen to meld into a third wonderful thing. Very lucky for me because, now, I don't have to discard my bottle of Jeke.

I do understand what you're saying, Scent Fan, that's your way of doing it, no worries!

I guess that the thought of using such valuable & scarce ingredients in that way just made me wince so I was exploring around the whole thing!

The attar used in Zahd was specially made and is not repeatable if I have understood correctly and decent Mysore sandalwood in a rarity these days.
    http://thefragrantman.com/2013/10/18/zahd-slumberhouse/
    Last edited by lpp; 24th December 2013 at 09:25 AM.

No worries, Ipp. You're a good moderator.

I do understand what you're saying, Scent Fan, that's your way of doing it, no worries!

I guess that the thought of using such valuable & scarce ingredients in that way just made me wince so I was exploring around the whole thing!

The attar used in Zahd was specially made and is not repeatable if I have understood correctly and decent Mysore sandalwood in a rarity these days.
    http://thefragrantman.com/2013/10/18/zahd-slumberhouse/

The problem is I just can't wear Jeke alone. I bought it because I love it, but when I put it on my skin, my brain cells scream "too male" and tell me to take it off. So saying I should wear it, is like saying guys should wear what they consider a female scent. Doesn't work. If it weren't for that, I'd wear Jeke because I think it's brilliant. So I'm left to either give it away, sell it, or trade it. Then an thought came. What would happen if I mixed it with Zahd? The result, to my nose, was utter bliss.

There's no more to the story than that. I'm not on a mission to change what others think/do.

As for Zahd, I still have the test strip from days ago. The scent's still there and it's incredible. In its own way, it's as strong as Jeke. I can and will wear it for its own merits. Mixed together, these potent fragrances happen to meld into a third wonderful thing. Very lucky for me because, now, I don't have to discard my bottle of Jeke.
    You are a bad fragrance lover, and should feel bad

There was a thread on layering Puredistance M with Aventus, and the feeling there was "blasphemy!" A part of me agreed, seems like a terrible idea. Then yesterday I'm driving home and certain qualities about both fragrances came to my mind, and I thought that yeah, they probably will layer very nicely and I'll have to try it at some point. Jeke is AMAZING, but I can see how it might be nice to have a fruity note to it, especially as a lady. Glad you have found a way to make Jeke work for you!

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    You are a bad fragrance lover, and should feel bad

There was a thread on layering Puredistance M with Aventus, and the feeling there was "blasphemy!" A part of me agreed, seems like a terrible idea. Then yesterday I'm driving home and certain qualities about both fragrances came to my mind, and I thought that yeah, they probably will layer very nicely and I'll have to try it at some point. Jeke is AMAZING, but I can see how it might be nice to have a fruity note to it, especially as a lady. Glad you have found a way to make Jeke work for you!
    Yes, it works for me and I would feel bad about it, except Norne arrived today and made me absolutely jubilant! I was already wearing Vikt! I told my other half that if I start dying, grab Vikt and spray the whole thing on me. Now I'm not so sure. Should a person really die without one last sniff of Norne, of Jeke, Pearl+ Olive, much less Zahd? I'll have to think about this very seriously.

Yes, it works for me and I would feel bad about it, except Norne arrived today and made me absolutely jubilant! I was already wearing Vikt! I told my other half that if I start dying, grab Vikt and spray the whole thing on me. Now I'm not so sure. Should a person really die without one last sniff of Norne, of Jeke, Pearl+ Olive, much less Zahd? I'll have to think about this very seriously.
    Had you not smelled norne before?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Had you not smelled norne before?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only in a sample a while ago.

By the way, fwiw, my Zahd/Jeke layering experiment now has a second data point. My fella smelled Jeke and said, "It's that guy in a western movie who bursts open the swinging doors to get into a bar." He smelled Zahd and said, "It's like candy." I layered it over Jeke and he said, "It slightly tames Jeke. Now it's a woman who bursts open the swinging doors to get into a bar." LOL! His favorite is Norne, unadulterated.

We can accommodate up to 3 more in the sample pass of present and past Slumberhouse fragrances. If you're interested, post here asap:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...se-Sample-Pass

A few thoughts on Zahd from recent samplings, I'll come straight out with it, I LOVE it.

I was expecting the cranberry and champaca, which are both executed perfectly. The cranberry neither too sweet or bitter, but wonderfully aromatic, with champaca balanced with finese. What really surprised me was the wonderful indian attar accord.

It teleports me straight into an Indian temple with rich incense permeating the air. I have some Indian temple grade incense at home and it bears more than a passing resemblence to a couple of the more fruitier floral ones. The new Slumberhouse direction towards more refined and polished creations is most evident in Zahd. There is a definite progression from the vibrant cranberry/champaca opening to the heart and drydown where the dry cocoa and incense/attar takes centre stage while still retaining the attenuated opening notes to the close, especially the cranberry. Late drydown highlights a smooth creamy sandalwood to close. It's a pleasure to wear from start to finish, fascinating and transporting, but with no challenging elements. If we're talking Indian temple aesthetics, this is way more to my taste than Trayee. There I've said it... am I a philistine? Perhaps, but I can live with that.

For anyone who struggles with the 'wall of scent' aesthetic of the earlier Sova, Jeke and Norne, I would definitely recommend sampling the newer creations Zahd, Vikt and Ore. Everything is smooth, balanced and coherent, projection is dialed down to a personal level, but longevity is still great.

As in music how it is bloody hard to follow up the wonderful first album, it is great to see Slumberhouse not only matching, but really moving to a new level. I know this has been said previously by others, but I have to repeat it, I'm really very impressed. Slumberhouse still may not be for everyone, but the new direction makes it more accessible without losing any of it's unique essence. I'm sorry for babbling like a schoolgirl with a crush, but for me at least, Zahd is perfection.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

wonderful review mick_trick!!!

I am wanting to flog myself. Many months ago Josh sent me samples of two unreleased scents. When I asked about them he said one was a scent with cranberry (Zahd). I have gone through every sample in every box and I simply can not find it. Must have been lost in my move. Damn, damn, damn. Wanting it so bad.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    It teleports me straight into an Indian temple
    The fact that my terrible nose (helped by my indian upbringing) said the same words as the above to deadidol on the first time I sampled Zahd months back is making me feel quite happy

For anyone who struggles with the 'wall of scent' aesthetic of the earlier Sova, Jeke and Norne, I would definitely recommend sampling the newer creations Zahd, Vikt and Ore. Everything is smooth, balanced and coherent, projection is dialed down to a personal level, but longevity is still great.

What you said right here is what I'm most pleased about regarding Ore, Mare, and Vikt (I haven't tried Zahd...yet). I love the way he reeled them in...they feel much more intimate and personal. Not soft, or quiet necessarily, just closer. With Ore, it creates something completely mellow and comfortable--perfect for this type of scent--a relaxing, fuzzy gourmand. With Vikt, it creates something mysterious and contemplative, a little dark. The closeness allows this.

Nice observation, mick.

Thanks for the review, Mick_Trick - still kicking myself!

A few thoughts on Zahd from recent samplings, I'll come straight out with it, I LOVE it.

I was expecting the cranberry and champaca, which are both executed perfectly ... Slumberhouse still may not be for everyone, but the new direction makes it more accessible without losing any of it's unique essence. I'm sorry for babbling like a schoolgirl with a crush, but for me at least, Zahd is perfection.

Beautiful description! Question. By what magic did you train your nose?
    Last edited by ScentFan; 31st December 2013 at 04:55 AM.

So, when is Zahd shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Last I heard it might be into February.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

That's unfortunate.

That's unfortunate.
    He's waiting on the final parts of the packaging to be produced. The supplier took a break for the holidays -- not much he could do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    He's waiting on the final parts of the packaging to be produced. The supplier took a break for the holidays -- not much he could do about it.
    With all the fuss over these bottles, they better be an improvement over the standard bottles he's used before.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    With all the fuss over these bottles, they better be an improvement over the standard bottles he's used before.
    Does anyone honestly think that a bottle will make or break a brand? What does is the smell, price, and that's it.

Poor chap needs bottles to put the stuff in 'though!

Poor chap needs bottles to put the stuff in 'though!
    yes, he does, but the old bottles were fine and very "Slumberhouse" - it's what we came to know. Why switch it up if it's working? That's ridiculous, and is leaving his customres waiting 2 months past the expected release.

I can't find it now* but I read something Josh wrote about how he felt the old packaging no longer satisfied him aesthetically. He also mentioned, I think, that the adding of the marbles was a time-consuming process that he no longer wanted to spend the time on. He does everything himself, remember. He seemed excited about the new packaging, and I expect it will be pretty nice. I believe he wants to provide something aesthetically satisfying that will please his customers and himself.

Now, if anyone is up for cancelling their Zahd order because of the delays, I'll be glad to see the standby list grow shorter!

*aha, found it:

Given the growth and evolution of the line, Slumberhouse is reaching the point where the current presentation is not necessarily where I want it to be. The inclusion of the glass marbles that I'm using in the bottles is a time-consuming necessity to allow just 30ml of perfume extrait inside a 50ml bottle -- a process further complicated by an even more time consuming process (that only has about a 50% success rate) of etching each bottle by hand, uses caustic chemicals and can be difficult to read on bottles containing lighter colored perfumes. While packaging has never been a serious concern of mine in the past, I'm to the point now where I feel an overall upgrade is due.

Earlier this year I hired a designer to work with me in creating an all-new Slumberhouse bottle and cap design, and what we've come up with is something I think will blow you away. While I'm not revealing this new look just yet, when you see this redesign you're going to know exactly why Slumberhouse has been so seemingly quiet as of late.
    Last edited by zatarain; 6th January 2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Or else what?

yes, he does, but the old bottles were fine and very "Slumberhouse" - it's what we came to know. Why switch it up if it's working? That's ridiculous, and is leaving his customres waiting 2 months past the expected release.
    The bottles aren't working. They're the incorrect size which means placing marbles into each one -- a hugely time-consuming process. The bottles that are "very Slumberhouse" are also "very other brands" as they're simple, stock bottles used by a number of different lines. There's no personal touch touch aside from the engraving -- another process that's simply unsustainable given the volume Josh is now producing. Tauer changed his packaging from stock bottles to a more personal design that people now recognize as uniquely his, so is this different?

Perfumers (and creatives in general) tend to have an overall aesthetic for their project, but packaging for the indies is outlandishly expensive -- far more so than the production of the scent itself (unless you're corporately backed and packaging / gimmick is the priority over perfume). Yet it's a requirement to a degree in order to proceed with business. Josh has a vision for Slumberhouse that's his own (as opposed to what his customers want). He's finally in a position where he can put some of this into motion, and has managed to do so by refusing to take on investors of any kind despite some very large, ambitious opportunities. The out-of-pocket expense of doing something like this is the equivalent to buying a mid-range car, or a couple of entry-level cars. He's not a businessman, and does everything in his power to keep Slumberhouse from becoming a business first and foremost. There's no question that he could sell out, go corporate, and produce crowd pleasers (even Slumberhouse crowd pleasers!), but that's not what he's interested in whatsoever. The line is small, intentionally; and to be frank, he has to do certain things in order to keep it small. Seems antithetical to profiteering doesn't it? That's because it is.

Zahd was initially projected for January arrival. It's now looking like it'll ship late January, early February. So I'm not sure where the "2 months past the expected release" part is coming from. With that said, you can certainly get a full refund as outlined in the last message from him (I'll link below). The standby list that's waiting for people to drop out is very long, so you'd certainly be doing someone a huge favor by canceling.

http://www.slumberhouse.com/zahd

I understand people are impatient, but keep in mind that people tend to take breaks over the holidays (perfumers and perfume bottle manufacturers alike). Incredibly selfish of them, I know.
    Last edited by deadidol; 6th January 2014 at 08:01 PM.

[QUOTE=zatarain;3036174]

Now, if anyone is up for cancelling their Zahd order because of the delays, I'll be glad to see the standby list grow shorter!

Funny you should mention that, zatarain

Or else what?

The bottles aren't working. They're the incorrect size which means placing marbles into each one -- a hugely time-consuming process. The bottles that are "very Slumberhouse" are also "very other brands" as they're simple, stock bottles used by a number of different lines. There's no personal touch touch aside from the engraving -- another process that's simply unsustainable given the volume Josh is now producing. Tauer changed his packaging from stock bottles to a more personal design that people now recognize as uniquely his, so is this different?

Perfumers (and creatives in general) tend to have an overall aesthetic for their project, but packaging for the indies is outlandishly expensive -- far more so than the production of the scent itself (unless you're corporately backed and packaging / gimmick is the priority over perfume). Yet it's a requirement to a degree in order to proceed with business. Josh has a vision for Slumberhouse that's his own (as opposed to what his customers want). He's finally in a position where he can put some of this into motion, and has managed to do so by refusing to take on investors of any kind despite some very large, ambitious opportunities.

Zahd was initially projected for January. It's now looking like it'll ship late January, early February. So I'm not sure where the "2 months past the expected release" part is coming from. With that said, you can certainly get a full refund as outlined in the last message from him (I'll link below). The waitlist for people to drop out is very long, so you'd certainly be doing someone a huge favor by canceling.

http://www.slumberhouse.com/zahd

I understand people are impatient, but keep in mind that people tend to take breaks over the holidays (perfumers and perfume bottle manufacturers alike). Incredibly selfish of them, I know.
    That's why there are calendars, with the holidays printed on them, so we can all plan our breaks and offer deadlines accordingly

I don't think it is unreasonable to have a few questions now that there have been two delays with the bottles. It makes me a little concerned about the bottle company and there ability to produce the finished product. But we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    That's why there are calendars, with the holidays printed on them, so we can all plan our breaks and offer deadlines accordingly

I don't think it is unreasonable to have a few questions now that there have been two delays with the bottles. It makes me a little concerned about the bottle company and there ability to produce the finished product. But we shall see.
    For a number of reasons (but mainly because of a very restrictive one-time offer made by PayPal), the decision to do this had to be made within 48 hours. Trust me, there was little time to plan -- just a lot of frantic communications back and forth behind the scenes with a handful of people. The plans and designs had been drafted quite some time prior, but putting them into effect was all part of an insanely stressful and rushed couple of days. The result was less than ideal, and calendars weren't even a part of the equation.

Nothing unreasonable about having a few questions about delays / timing, but again, feel free to jump ship at any time!

Does anyone honestly think that a bottle will make or break a brand? What does is the smell, price, and that's it.
    Not me. I don't really care what the bottle looks like. All I care about is the scent. Bottles are nice, but I look at it for five seconds the day I decide to wear the scent, whereas I have the scent on all day. I'm talking about blogs and others on here when I say that people are talking a lot about it.

Or else what?
    I didn't say "or else," you are falsely inferring. You should know better. What I mean is that he and everyone else is making a big deal about this so they really should be an improvement. He has toyed around with different bottles several times now that were all stock offerings so I am hoping he has made one/found one he can stick with. The delays are unfortunate but not his fault and I'd imagine not the fault of his bottle design, they just took a winter break which is sensible. I just wish these blogs and people talking on Facebook and stuff about it would just let the damn bottle design thing go.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 6th January 2014 at 08:31 PM.

I didn't say "or else," you are falsely inferring. You should know better. What I mean is that he and everyone else is making a big deal about this so they really should be an improvement.
    I apologize; I misread you. And yes, the way I read it struck me as odd coming from you.

I haven't seen much in the way of online discussion, largely because I don't pay much attention to such thing. I'll see if there's any news.

I apologize; I misread you. And yes, the way I read it struck me as odd coming from you.

I haven't seen much in the way of online discussion, largely because I don't pay much attention to such thing. I'll see if there's any news.
    There are a few Facebook groups I belong to that discuss fragrances that are talking about it, several of the people are clamoring for a bottle but didn't order one, and so many people are hoping people will cancel due to the wait. Several others are practically drowning themselves at the thought of a new bottle.

Slumberhouse could send Zahd to me in an empty coke bottle and I wouldn't care. Just praying to the perfume gods that I make the waiting list. If I don't, I'll fly to Paris, climb up to Notre Dame's bell tower and desperately fling myself ... okay, no.

^ lol, glad you came to your senses.

I daresay that once the bottles arrive, some people will find they don't actually love it and will sell their bottles. Though I cringe to think what the price may be. So, yeah, waiting list!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post

I daresay that once the bottles arrive, some people will find they don't actually love it and will sell their bottles. Though I cringe to think what the price may be. So, yeah, waiting list!

Hmm. Actually, I was exaggerating, my favorite pastime. I probably won't love it all that much, either, so no hiking up the price anybody, I mean ... it's just a perfume, nothing special. I've already sampled it. Sob! I LIE! It's divine! Er...somewhat.

So, just a quick Zahd update: The original late Dec / early Jan quote from the initial order date was pushed back to late Jan shipping as per the last email. As of now, that's where things remain. So it's still a few weeks off before Zahd ships, but the delay is pretty small. As mentioned, if anyone wants to jump ship (I doubt any of you really do), it's definitely an option still. Part of the delay also stems from some bank screw-ups in handling the money, but it seems to be taken care of now. So things are on the move, and it's just going to require a little more patience.

Also, just to clarify further the reason for the design change: the long time it takes to prepare orders with the current bottles was seriously cutting into the time that Josh could have been using to create new scents. The etching process was the most time consuming aspect, and with the new packaging, this has been made more economical, which should result in more time spent creating.

So, just a little bit longer to go, but if a couple of extra weeks on the original quote is too much, feel free to bow out with a full refund.

This will be my first Slumberhouse & I'm quite anxious for my bottle too. But it sounds like Zahd is a very special project to Josh & the packaging is also an important part of his vision. I'm just fine with waiting until he's pleased with the final outcome. Actually the anticipation is part of the fun!

A beautiful, "crushed red velvet" perfume in time for Valentine's Day sounds great to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    There will be many that bought Zahd just for the $ value - knowing it's a limited edition etc etc - if I was like you / others waiting on the list, I'd patient & not jump as soon as it shows on ebay or other sites for a ransom of a price - trust me, this is going to happen & I don't want any of my fellow BN to fall into the trap like I almost did for Ore (luckily pulled out at the last second & didn't buy for 200+ - this was around Feb 2013).

As for the bottles, appreciate what Josh does for "his" company & while the delay is irritating even for a die hard SH fan like me, it`s what it is, so keep calm & spray on other parfums in the mean time. Personally all I need are leak proof bottles with caps & would love boxes too to keep them off light - be it SH or any fragrance.

There will be many that bought Zahd just for the $ value - knowing it's a limited edition etc etc - if I was like you / others waiting on the list, I'd patient & not jump as soon as it shows on ebay or other sites for a ransom of a price - trust me, this is going to happen & I don't want any of my fellow BN to fall into the trap like I almost did for Ore (luckily pulled out at the last second & didn't buy for 200+ - this was around Feb 2013).

As for the bottles, appreciate what Josh does for "his" company & while the delay is irritating even for a die hard SH fan like me, it`s what it is, so keep calm & spray on other parfums in the mean time. Personally all I need are leak proof bottles with caps & would love boxes too to keep them off light - be it SH or any fragrance.
    Agree when it comes everything you said, especially the ebay price hikes. Thanks for saving me on that one man!

Good advice, badarun!

So, just a quick Zahd update: The original late Dec / early Jan quote from the initial order date was pushed back to late Jan shipping as per the last email. As of now, that's where things remain. So it's still a few weeks off before Zahd ships, but the delay is pretty small. As mentioned, if anyone wants to jump ship (I doubt any of you really do), it's definitely an option still. Part of the delay also stems from some bank screw-ups in handling the money, but it seems to be taken care of now. So things are on the move, and it's just going to require a little more patience.

Also, just to clarify further the reason for the design change: the long time it takes to prepare orders with the current bottles was seriously cutting into the time that Josh could have been using to create new scents. The etching process was the most time consuming aspect, and with the new packaging, this has been made more economical, which should result in more time spent creating.

So, just a little bit longer to go, but if a couple of extra weeks on the original quote is too much, feel free to bow out with a full refund.
    Thank you for the update, deadidol. That makes much more sense to me than just a delay due to holiday breaks, since the original ship date (which I imagine was given based on the bottle companies quoted availability date) was late Dec/early Jan. I could only imagine that the holidays were already factored in, as any retailer/manufacturer would do when giving out availability dates during that timeframe. It made me wonder if there was a problem with the bottles, more than just holiday breaks.

Thanks again.

I can't wait any longer. This is rediculous. I am dropping out...

Just kidding!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

An early review of Zahd now up here:

http://www.cafleurebon.com/new-niche...d-velvet-draw/

Blog Entries

An early review of Zahd now up here:

http://www.cafleurebon.com/new-niche...d-velvet-draw/
    Wow - sounds like Josh came through! Congrats to those who got in on this one!

(LOL - and Mark bought a bottle - you don't even have to read the review, once you know THAT little fact.)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    (LOL - and Mark bought a bottle - you don't even have to read the review, once you know THAT little fact.)
    Hehe! I know, right?

The statement, "Zahd is an exquisite perfume experience that is among the best perfumes I have tried in the last ten years" is also very telling!

Hello DeadIdol,

two fast questions,

- Norne will be in stock with new bottle again or it won't???? I miss last offer and I want a bottle.
    - When will be Zahd samples available again?

I really love Josh creations.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Silverb View Post
    Hello DeadIdol,

two fast questions,

- Norne will be in stock with new bottle again or it won't???? I miss last offer and I want a bottle.
    - When will be Zahd samples available again?

I really love Josh creations.
    1. Yes
    2. Never