Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Same.
    By chance, anyone have a picture of a 300 ML bottle?
    I am not sure if any of Slumberhouse is sold in 300ml's (& who's sane to buy 300? Unless they are guaranteed to live abt 500yrs) - it's normally 30ml.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    it's normally 30ml.
    This. Which are the same size as the 100ml bottles that SH carries but with marbles in them to occupy ~70% of the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Got an email update on Zahr earlier today. 99% of the work is done. Everything should be on its way to people within the next 10 days.

Not sayin' nuthin'. Simply passing through, enjoying the wallpaper. Whistling. Pretend I'm not even here. Yes, my fingers are crossed behind my back, but just ignore that. What a nice day today is. 10 days from now? [] Who's counting? Just whistling is all.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I am not sure if any of Slumberhouse is sold in 300ml's (& who's sane to buy 300? Unless they are guaranteed to live abt 500yrs) - it's normally 30ml.
    No 300ml bottles. Just 30ml and the odd 100ml.

Anyone got a recommendation as to whether Norne would be a good fragrance for summer? With spring approaching, I'm trying to prepare. I love my winter fragrances and really don't look forward to hot weather.

My gut says piney green would work well in heat, but Norne is such an anamoly and a sincere embodiment of a winter forest that it might seem out of place. Thoughts?
    Last edited by throwbookatface; 6th February 2014 at 07:29 PM.

I found Norne perfectly suitable during the summer, but everyone's different!

Which are the same size as the 100ml bottles that SH carries but with marbles in them to occupy ~70% of the volume.
    I think this is sarcasm, right?

The 100ml are just taller versions of the 50ml bottles without the marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by throwbookatface View Post
    Anyone got a recommendation as to whether Norne would be a good fragrance for summer? With spring approaching, I'm trying to prepare.
    It seems that for many a "summer scent" is generally thought of as some combination of calone, chemical grapefruit, and some lemon. Consequently, I think that Norne would be a stellar choice.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I think this is sarcasm, right?
    I, um…, lost one of my marbles.

I, um…, lost one of my marbles.
    Ha! Got it

No 300ml bottles. Just 30ml and the odd 100ml.
    Sorry! I did mean 100 ml! Anyone have a picture?

Sorry! I did mean 100 ml! Anyone have a picture?
    Sure. Here you go:

Bottle (1 of 1).jpg

Sure. Here you go:

Bottle (1 of 1).jpg
    Excellent, thanks! I've never sprayed my Slumberhouse bottles, maybe I should!

Did anyone get their Zahd yet? I would really like to see a picture of the new packaging. I passed on the buy as it wasn't really for me, but I'm loving Vikt, it's right up there with Rume as my favorite from this house.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Did anyone get their Zahd yet? I would really like to see a picture of the new packaging.
    Yeah! Check it out ... ZAHD

Regarding ZAHD

I'm recommending we create a special "ZAHD: Spoiler Alert" thread in the GD forum.

I know a lot of us have been anticipating its arrival for some time now, and some would prefer to see the bottle and make impressions for ourselves before seeing or hearing anything from anybody else.

Since this is a general Slumberhouse discussion thread, it will be easy to mistakenly stumble across pictures and reviews once the Zahd bottles start rolling in. And maybe you just want to talk about Ore or Norne or something, without taking that risk. Or maybe you just want to "anticipate" Zahd with others.

If we create a separate thread, "ZAHD: Spoiler Alert," then we won't have to worry about any of that stuff happening, and it works for both sides. And since Zahd's going to be a huge discussion very soon, it wouldn't hurt to have a separate thread anyway.

I've had this idea for a few weeks. It's not a response to the link naylor posted above (I don't know what's in that link….and I'm not clicking on it!). But at least this way, people who have received their bottles of Zahd can go talk about it openly and share pics and whatnot, and those who haven't can mingle in the regular Slumberhouse discussion until the time is right.

Just an idea.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Buysblind; 9th February 2014 at 04:55 PM.

Buysblind, and everyone else, I really think you should click on that link, you know you want to.... I did and it's absolutely incredible, thank you so much naylor, I mean, WOW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Buysblind, and everyone else, I really think you should click on that link, you know you want to.... I did and it's absolutely incredible, thank you so much naylor, I mean, WOW!!!!
    Haha….no way!

Did anyone get their Zahd yet?
    Nope.

Excellent, thanks! I've never sprayed my Slumberhouse bottles, maybe I should!
    You've never sprayed them? What are you using them for?

Is it just me or is this thread a pale shadow of it's former self?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Is it just me or is this thread a pale shadow of it's former self?
    What do you mean?

Just being daft

Sorry all, I didn't intent to spoil the new design or get people Rick Roll'ed lol. If anyone doesn't mind, I'd like to see the new designs if you care to share just send me a pm!

No worries from me - am keen to see them too!

Basenotes Plus

I haven't received Zahd yet, but I hear rumors that the bottle looks exactly like this:

… but less smokey.

Not like this then?

You've never sprayed them? What are you using them for?
    collecting

collecting
    Wow. If there were a fragrance meant to be sprayed...

Just got my Slumberhouse sample pack last night, I'm amazed. My husband has stolen them. His favorite is Pear + Olive and mine is Norne. Lemme tell ya (what most here already know) something about Norne: It smells like a fairy tale. Castle in a enchanted forest where snow falls like pixie dust sprinkles and a bad witch waits and plots has a smell. It's Norne. It's about the the most amazing thing the 'ol nose holes have been put to.

Edit* I've smelled a lot of earthy, natural scents. This is grander and edgier without losing its roots or tryharding so much for mystery that it becomes too esoteric to identify reliably. Excellent, amazing fragrance.

Norne Visual:
    Neuschwanstein Castle Bavaria in Winter.jpg
    Last edited by Linsul; 11th February 2014 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linsul View Post
    Just got my Slumberhouse sample pack last night, I'm amazed. My husband has stolen them. His favorite is Pear + Olive and mine is Norne. Lemme tell ya (what most here already know) something about Norne: It smells like a fairy tale. Castle in a enchanted forest where snow falls like pixie dust sprinkles and a bad witch waits and plots has a smell. It's Norne. It's about the the most amazing thing the 'ol nose holes have been put to.

Edit* I've smelled a lot of earthy, natural scents. This is grander and edgier without losing its roots or tryharding so much for mystery that it becomes too esoteric to identify reliably. Excellent, amazing fragrance.

Norne Visual:
    Neuschwanstein Castle Bavaria in Winter.jpg

I'm with you. I think Norne is ground breaking and amazing and I'm still dumbfounded how it doesn't get more praise. From first sniff, I was a goner. The scent itself is everything I've been searching for in a forest for years and years. It also last forever, the only slight criticism I do have is I wished it projected a bit more. I would say on my skin, it has average projection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's always seemed very 'green' to me (not a criticism - it reminds me of lovely dark, mossy, forested places) - must dig it out again!
    Last edited by lpp; 11th February 2014 at 08:43 PM.

The beautifully realistic facets of Norne are what made it a little too hard for me to wear. I'm speaking of the old EDP concentration, however. The newer releases seem toned down quite a bit from the descriptions on here and definitely on the more wearable side. Although still challenging for the average fragrance wearer. The only one I can speak of is the new Vikt which is a completely different animal...less oud and an amped up sandalwood base which makes it more smooth/licorice/woodsy than metallic/baslamic/oud/licorice. Maybe I'll order a sample set in a few months to try the newer extraits, hopefully after Josh releases some new stuff?!?!?! (can only dream right)

I'd settle for another batch of Mare

I'd settle for another batch of Mare
    SWEET! Another Mare fan…

Right on, dude!

Cool - love the green!

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I'm with you. I think Norne is ground breaking and amazing and I'm still dumbfounded how it doesn't get more praise. From first sniff, I was a goner. The scent itself is everything I've been searching for in a forest for years and years. It also last forever, the only slight criticism I do have is I wished it projected a bit more. I would say on my skin, it has average projection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Norne fairy tale regality is probably safer kept close for the sake of all the damsels haha

The beautifully realistic facets of Norne are what made it a little too hard for me to wear. I'm speaking of the old EDP concentration, however. The newer releases seem toned down quite a bit from the descriptions on here and definitely on the more wearable side. Although still challenging for the average fragrance wearer. The only one I can speak of is the new Vikt which is a completely different animal...less oud and an amped up sandalwood base which makes it more smooth/licorice/woodsy than metallic/baslamic/oud/licorice. Maybe I'll order a sample set in a few months to try the newer extraits, hopefully after Josh releases some new stuff?!?!?! (can only dream right)
    I totally agree on the hard to wear part. I'm firmly in the camp of "wear what you like" but for me the 4 I got scream masculine too loudly to ignore. My intro to Slumberhouse has me thinking they're less about crowd pleasing and unabashedly forcing anyone with firing synapses into a imaginative place through scent alone. I'm really impressed by that. Also though it does lend itself to the image of an average person on an average day strutting in Haute Couture to get the mail. Some people can pull this off though absolutely. I can't praise the samples I got enough but yes I can see the challenging side.

On that note My daughter asked to go put on some perfume and I told her to go for it. She skipped right past Diptyque, random Sephora bottles, and House of Matriarch and went for Slumberhouse. Ore. It was comically disturbing on a 10yr old girl but she loved it. My husband said after smelling it linked to her he associates it with angry stepfathers, so she may just get it all to herself!

The current Norne (extrait) has apparently been tamed a little, but anyone who has worn attars should not find the line too challenging imo.
    They are certainly less challenging for girls than ouds, for example - in fact, when my first Slumberhouse (Jeke) arrived it made me think that it was a direction of quality ad innovation that I'd been seeking having found many oud-based attars too strong to wear outside the house.
    My wardrobe includes some very 'girly' stuff indeed (Amouage Gold, anyone?) but a variety of choices is cool.
    Last edited by lpp; 12th February 2014 at 12:05 AM.

The current Norne (extrait) has apparently been tamed a little, but anyone who has worn attars should not find the line too challenging imo.
    They are certainly less challenging for girls than ouds, for example - in fact, when my first Slumberhouse (Jeke) arrived it made me think that it was a direction of quality ad innovation that I'd been seeking having found many oud-based attars too strong to wear outside the house.
    My wardrobe includes some very 'girly' stuff indeed (Amouage Gold, anyone?) but a variety of choices is cool.
    I hope everyone wears Norne at some point, tamed or untamed it's an experience, wow. Totally agree on ouds being more of a challenge, and love Jeke as well. I already had coco blanc on today but got some Jeke on my hands and keep going back to it for a sniff. Slumberhouse is really a mind=blown discovery for me. It's going to be a process here, intense imagery stage is where I'm at and when I'm less dazzled (lookin at you Norne) I'll probably be able to figure out what I want to do with them more. If they aren't gone by the time I'm done figuring out what I like! Variety is indeed cool!

Personally, I'm a huge fan of oud and I don't find it challenging in the slightest. Also, I found Slumberhouse Rume to be among my favorite in the line, still do to this day...several people weren't too keen on the boozy fruitcake mixed with bay and potpourri vibe, but I love it. I guess that shows that tastes vary greatly!

I'm still crossing my fingers, hoping Josh does a monster woody/warm/spicy/amber/incense fragrance. I would love to see his take on the genre, even though it's been done so many times. I think he could blow them all out of the water and create the be all end all holy grail. But, maybe I'm getting too optimistic :-) It will be interesting to see what he comes out with next, I'm assuming something new is coming relatively soon with new Vikt and Sova, Mare and Zahd coming and going within the last year and a current lineup of only 4 fragrances, but who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I think Norne is ground breaking and amazing and I'm still dumbfounded how it doesn't get more praise.
    Honestly, I do think it's recognized as such—but it'll never have mainstream appeal as it's too well-done and naturalistic. It's the best forest-floor scent of the last ten years, and and probably one the best period. No one's doing anything even remotely close to what he's doing—both in the insane materials and blending. Not to sound cliche, but this stuff's quite a bit ahead of it's time, so it's not surprising to me that there are still a number of skeptics out there. It's not stuff that your average fragrance fan is going to appreciate as it totally upends industry norms while pulling the rug out from the notion of "professional" training and Grasse. And yes, it really is an aesthetic experience rather than something to smell pretty with, so that puts people off his stuff, too.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of oud and I don't find it challenging in the slightest.
    Have you tried much proper oud though? It's very hard to come by, profoundly expensive, and smells more than a little like old cheese. What passes for oud in modern perfumery has almost nothing to do with oud and everything to do with nagarmotha. Try Phoenecia's Realoud for a sense of what oud is supposed to smell like -- it's got the brutal cheesey opening, but an incredible grassy drydown.
    Last edited by deadidol; 12th February 2014 at 02:23 AM.

I've smelled Black Oud oil, the old Vikt smells a lot like this. Also smelled some sharper oud attars which were extremely sharp and pungent blends, somewhat animalic like rotting wood and leather...I think this was Indian Oud. However, I haven't had the chance to smell oud wood itself or 100% pure unadulterated Cambodian (seyoofi?) the expensive raw oil. Can't afford to, probably never will be able to :-(

Have you tried much proper oud though? It's very hard to come by, profoundly expensive, and smells more than a little like old cheese. What passes for oud in modern perfumery has almost nothing to do with oud and everything to do with nagarmotha. Try Phoenecia's Realoud for a sense of what oud is supposed to smell like -- it's got the brutal cheesey opening, but an incredible grassy drydown.

@rynegne - if you were a female of a certain age living where I do, oud might scare people a bit. I have worn the tamer Cambodis or Thais outside but would definitely not wear any of the Hindis that I've tried if expecting visitors!
    A person in the village shop once complained (loudly) about a strange smell.
    It was an early version of Homage....

Haha. The Hindis are pretty amazing, I love using them in some of my own compositions. I usually find most oud extremely subtle when used in fragrances...but the Hindi Oud screams, I'm here in a very loud obtrusive way...

@rynegne - if you were a female of a certain age living where I do, oud might scare people a bit. I have worn the tamer Cambodis or Thais outside but would definitely not wear any of the Hindis that I've tried if expecting visitors!
    A person in the village shop once complained (loudly) about a strange smell.
    It was an early version of Homage....
    Does anyone know if Josh re-worked Flou, if so, how was it? I had an old edp sample I sniffed the other day and Wow this stuff was interesting. Grape/honey mostly, but done in Slumberhouse fashion. The best way for me to describe it is very medicinal, more so than Grev for me (I never got that vibe from Grev, but I know most did)...the smell reminds me of fluoride that is applied to the teeth while at the dentist.

I've smelled Black Oud oil, the old Vikt smells a lot like this. Also smelled some sharper oud attars which were extremely sharp and pungent blends, somewhat animalic like rotting wood and leather...I think this was Indian Oud. However, I haven't had the chance to smell oud wood itself or 100% pure unadulterated Cambodian (seyoofi?) the expensive raw oil. Can't afford to, probably never will be able to :-(
    You can sample Kritsana Pa from Agar Aura for $27 shipped. You could get 7-10 wearings out of it. It's a gorgeous oil. Slightly floral, slightly fruity, with a fuzzy warmth to it. Oh...and at $260 for a full bottle, it'll blow ANY French perfume for the same price out of the water.
    Last edited by cwill; 12th February 2014 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks for the tip cwill, I'll have to try KP out!

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    You can sample Kritsana Pa from Agar Aura for $27 shipped. You could get 7-10 wearings out of it. It's a gorgeous oil. Slightly floral, slightly fruity, with a fuzzy warmth to it. Oh...and at $260 for a full bottle, it'll blow ANY French perfume for the same price out of the water.

Thanks for the tip cwill, I'll have to try KP out!
    Not a problem.

Am I understanding correctly that Vikt extrait, to which I was steered by this thread some months ago and has become a personal favorite this winter, is merely OOS at slumberhouse.com, but is NOT discontinued? IOW, do I need to be looking for backup, or is more VIKT extrait in the works? hope its the latter. Deadidol, do you know? thanks!

Basenotes Institution

I am pretty sure Vikt is disco'd.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I am pretty sure Vikt is disco'd.
    Oh no!
    So that leaves Ore, Jeke, P+O, and Norne?

There's some recent info. re. Vikt in this thread, James1051.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/314...mberhouse-Kere

The new Vikt was "limited" according to the site and literature. If you want a backup, there appears to be a bottle on eBay...Perfume1 and Indiescents have stock as well. As soon as they're gone I'm guessing we will not see it again.

There's some recent info. re. Vikt in this thread, James1051.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/314...mberhouse-Kere
    thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Wearing my 'new' sample of Vikt today & yeah I can totally see why you guys are raving about this.

It's really nice. Has that warm, sugary, molasses-like vibe to the licorice yet it's also incredibly woody. So it pulses back and forth between licorice (with a rich anise depth), molasses, wood, something salty, something dusty. It manages to smell like licorice but not in a 'flavor' way, rather in a savory, ink-like way. Very hard to describe. It's also not as radiant as Sova so it stays nice & close.

I don't LOVE it, but it's definitely got my attention & it's much more my speed than Kere is.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Darn. I was interested in Vikt but I didn't want to blind buy it given my sample is one of the older Esprit de Parfum's. Eh, I guess I am destined to miss out on a couple.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

The last of the Vikt was bought up by the online retailers and Twisted Lily should have some in stock too. I wouldn't hesitate though if you're considering it. And for those of you patiently waiting for your Zahd order, keep an eye on your mailboxes next week

The last of the Vikt was bought up by the online retailers and Twisted Lily should have some in stock too. I wouldn't hesitate though if you're considering it. And for those of you patiently waiting for your Zahd order, keep an eye on your mailboxes next week
    Would it be fair to say that if I like the Esprit version of Vikt I'd like the new version?
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Would it be fair to say that if I like the Esprit version of Vikt I'd like the new version?
    I think so. I don't think that you will dislike it in any way. It's not as hard edged as the EdP and it loses the vegetal aspect as well as anything metallic for me.

Honestly, if you dig most of Josh's stuff, especially his extraits,I think that you will be fine with Vikt.

I think it's a lot more wearable now though, that much I'll say. The only aspect of the old stuff that remains is the licorice wheel accord and a much more restrained oud. The old Vikt had a blast of black agar on top, the new one has a nice smooth sandalwood base that the old Vikt didn't have. I'd say it's a shell of the older Esprit, so if you like the old stuff...grab a bottle before this goes away if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I think so. I don't think that you will dislike it in any way. It's not as hard edged as the EdP and it loses the vegetal aspect as well as anything metallic for me.

Honestly, if you dig most of Josh's stuff, especially his extraits,I think that you will be fine with Vikt.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    The new version's far more polished and rounded. While the old one had some charm in its roughness and weird vegetal metallics, this has a massive mysore / attar base that totally sanded out the roughness. The original is very much present, as opposed to Ore which was quite a drastic reworking. In this version, the anise / fennel is more upfront.