Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

If you'd rather wait to see Zahd, don't click here:

http://postimg.org/gallery/7rylehy8/ddd683c4/

Enjoy! D.I.
    Last edited by deadidol; 18th February 2014 at 01:32 AM.

Simply stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Simply stunning!

I'm impressed, beautiful bottle. Not at all what I expected.

I can see how it fits what his image is for his company, but I really will miss the beads. That is one more thing that separated Slumberhouse from other perfumers, and it really impressed me and everyone I showed the bottle to. Can't say that this will have that same effect
    Last edited by rouj; 18th February 2014 at 03:06 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Lovely! Gorgeous color.

It's nice, reflects the new website, the more BDSM sense of the house (imo)

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    It's nice, reflects the new website, the more BDSM sense of the house (imo)
    Great, now I am picturing a glass dildo with real pump spraying action.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    but I really will miss the beads.
    They did look cool, but they really were just there for function more than aesthetics. Now the marble bottles will go for insane vintage prices on eBay!

I actually like this new bottle better than the old ones ( I have 2 slumberhouse fragrances flou and pear + olive, but in an older bottle version without the stones inside)

Now all i can do is wait for the Zahd shipment to Indonesia. Hopefully they will arrive safely and soon =)

Are samples available yet for Zahd?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Are samples available yet for Zahd?
    Zahd sold out in 12 hours. It was a limited release of 150 (or so) bottles that was presold in October and is just now shipping. No samples, I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Zahd sold out in 12 hours. It was a limited release of 150 (or so) bottles that was presold in October and is just now shipping. No samples, I'm afraid
    Thanks.

What stunning bottles, well done to all concerned!

I did enjoy the tinkling marbles but inserting them must have been such a chore.

Unhappy Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

If you'd rather wait to see Zahd, don't click here:Enjoy! D.I.
    I find it sad that you decided to post pictures before almost everyone got their bottle. Josh asked me not to post pictures so everyone could be surprised...now the surprise is over. More will get their bottle today. The scent, I predict, will create quite a buzz.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Well, 12 hours is better than 2 hours. I'll have to be on my guard next time.
    Last edited by cytherian; 18th February 2014 at 04:01 PM.

Has anybody else NOT received their shipping notification yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I haven't, but I'm still expecting it to show up in my mailbox sometime this week or early next.

Nope, but don't forget there was a national holiday yesterday so that slowed things down a bit.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I find it sad that you decided to post pictures before almost everyone got their bottle. Josh asked me not to post pictures so everyone could be surprised...now the surprise is over.
    Just to be clear: The pics were posted yesterday with Josh's blessing as he's already started distributing them, so nothing to feel sad about

Trust me, no backstage information about the line will be released here UNLESS he's on board with it. There's actually a method to this particular moment of madness
    Last edited by deadidol; 18th February 2014 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Well isn't that just great. The snobbery of exclusivity at its best. You'd figure that if it sold so quickly, then there's much higher demand than they anticipated. Why not make a secondary release? Probably won't happen. Contrived cachet.
    You might not have been able to read any of the information about this (even though it's been discussed here for the last four months or so). Zahd was always going to be a limited release due the unsustainability of the materials (cost / accessibility). It's a fragrance that really cannot be recreated, hence the limited release. Sadly, it looks like you joined the site a month after the announcements were made about it, but there was no real exclusivity for anyone watching this (or other) spaces on the internet related to the line. Emails were sent, twitter advertised it, it was posted on several sites etc.

This is a small line that runs limited production on some of its scents now and again (all documented on the website) -- it's not a line that mass-produces (outside of the small "permanent" collection), nor is it a line with mass distribution -- largely due to the nature of the materials he uses (extremely rare, extremely costly, extremely unpredictable). For many, that's part of the charm as it exemplifies "indie." So, watch this space for announcements of other limited runs / sign up to the Slumberhouse email list / follow the twitter account -- all of those things will give you open access to these kind of options.

The only reason this is being discussed here now is because its a scent that people have been waiting since October to try (the notes above should explain why), and only now is it finally arriving on people's doorsteps.
    Last edited by deadidol; 19th February 2014 at 01:13 AM.

Josh sent me a nice message on Thursday. In part it said, "Now while I’m not able to get all bottles shipped today (most will go out Monday), a small batch is shipping today and that includes yours…" I don't think he realized Monday was a holiday so I expect most to go out today. Hold tight! The wait is almost over!!!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Josh sent me a nice message on Thursday. In part it said, "Now while I’m not able to get all bottles shipped today (most will go out Monday), a small batch is shipping today and that includes yours…" I don't think he realized Monday was a holiday so I expect most to go out today. Hold tight! The wait is almost over!!!
    Most will ship today and a few tomorrow

Hang tight, everyone!

Most will ship today and a few tomorrow

Hang tight, everyone!
    Any update/word on if the current or even future waiting list will come into play? Is it remotely possible if someone were to sign up today, they might score a bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Any update/word on if the current or even future waiting list will come into play? Is it remotely possible if someone were to sign up today, they might score a bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good question!

I know the wait list is long (and heavily populated), but once the initial orders are filled, there'll be an evaluation made of what's left. I'd say that if you are on the wait list, keep a close eye on your email.

You might not have been able to read any of the information about this (even though it's been discussed here four the last four months or so). Zahd was always going to be a limited release due the unsustainability of the materials (cost / accessibility). It's a fragrance that really cannot be recreated, hence the limited release. Sadly, it looks like you joined the site a month after the announcements were made about it, but there was no real exclusivity for anyone watching this (or other) spaces on the internet related to the line. Emails were sent, twitter advertised it, it was posted on several sites etc.

This is a small line that runs limited production on some of its scents now and again (all documented on the website) -- it's not a line that mass-produces (outside of the small "permanent" collection), nor is it a line with mass distribution -- largely due to the nature of the materials he uses (extremely rare, extremely costly, extremely unpredictable). For many, that's part of the charm as it exemplifies "indie." So, watch this space for announcements of other limited runs / sign up to the Slumberhouse email list / follow the twitter account -- all of those things will give you open access to these kind of options.

The only reason this is being discussed here now is because its a scent that people have been waiting since October to try (the notes above should explain why), and only now is it finally arriving on people's doorsteps.
    Thanks for the additional details, which does help with understanding. I thought Slumberhouse was like any other niche perfumery, making unique and interesting fragrances available to anyone interested. I can understand if certain ingredients are extremely rare or too expensive to use in great measure that it would force a limited run. Now that I know, I'll keep an eye on what Slumberhouse plans to produce in limited quantity like Zahn. Sure would be great if they opened up a store in Manhattan.

When are they planning to release Slumberhouse Sasquatch?

Sure would be great if they opened up a store in Manhattan.
    Heh! It's one guy working from his home

No stores, no major distribution, no ads, no Manhattan HQ! The scents are available at Twisted Lily in Brooklyn, though.

Heh! It's one guy working from his home

No stores, no major distribution, no ads, no Manhattan HQ! The scents are available at Twisted Lily in Brooklyn, though.
    Wow--one man operation! Amazing what he has achieved. I wonder what his background is all about. I'd heard of Twisted Lily. Now I'm definitely going to visit, knowing that Slumberhouse is represented there. Thanks.

I've tested Sova today, from a sample I received and all I can say is wow. This stuff is powerful and beautiful. My regret is that it can no longer be purchased. This feels very much like a gourmand to me, very much edible in it's sweetness, almost like candy, but also animalic at the same time. If anyone knows of someone who wants to lighten their collection by one bottle of Sova, send them my way!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Sova is fantastic - the epitome of a Fall / "Halloween" fragrance. Hope you can find a bottle!

Speaking of bottles, is all future production going to use the new bottles?

Sova is fantastic - the epitome of a Fall / "Halloween" fragrance. Hope you can find a bottle!

Speaking of bottles, is all future production going to use the new bottles?
    Yeah. There'll be switchover coming up real soon.

Waiting for a incense/amber/wood from Slumberhouse :-)

Blog Entries

Next time Josh does a limited edition, I think he'd best up the scale just a wee bit. Otherwise, 12 hours will turn into 12 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Waiting for a incense/amber/wood from Slumberhouse :-)
    +100

And please don't let that be limited edition run but a regular one please which can be replenished once it runs out

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

We shall see what direction Josh takes his company... But I for one like the fact that he is a one man show and apparently intends on staying that way. As I understand it, Zhad was a labor of love that he worked on for two years and he was unsure how to release it since it was so limited. It came time for the company brand to create a new image and he needed an infusion of cash, and Zahd was released to that purpose. Isn't it sort of wonderful that he was able to raise the needed cash with Zahd and not have to seek out monies from other people or companies? I think so. In doing so Josh has been able to remain independant! I expect Slumberhouse to continue to use top quality ingredients and also continue to be an independant creative force making scents unlike other perfumers. Anyone that expects less than complete independance and creative freedom for the house may also inadvertantly be asking for compromise in ingredient quality. I'm glad there is one very creative house and proud that it is in the city of Portland. Stay different Josh. There is space in this world for one house called Slumberhouse.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

It's great to see someone choosing their own, very special, path and not bowing to expectation.
    Whatever direction future releases take there will surely be many following with great interest.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I've tested Sova today, from a sample I received and all I can say is wow. This stuff is powerful and beautiful. My regret is that it can no longer be purchased. This feels very much like a gourmand to me, very much edible in it's sweetness, almost like candy, but also animalic at the same time. If anyone knows of someone who wants to lighten their collection by one bottle of Sova, send them my way!
    Same here. I was lucky enough to buy one of Josh's last bottles he had. I am archiving mine and using it sparingly. It's delicious.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

It came time for the company brand to create a new image and he needed an infusion of cash, and Zahd was released to that purpose. Isn't it sort of wonderful that he was able to raise the needed cash with Zahd and not have to seek out monies from other people or companies? I think so. In doing so Josh has been able to remain independant!
    This is definitely an interesting model... I don't know if this could be duplicated though, but it is wonderful that he managed to pull it off!

Also I have to say I find the new bottles absolutely stunning.... classy and edgy at the same time.

Many companies and start-ups are adopting this model lately with the inception of Kickstarter. Josh just did it on his own really. I enjoy that Josh hasn't sacrificed the quality of materials over time to increase margins in order to obtain new bottles...caps...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    This is definitely an interesting model... I don't know if this could be duplicated though, but it is wonderful that he managed to pull it off!

Also I have to say I find the new bottles absolutely stunning.... classy and edgy at the same time.

I have to agree that the new bottles are truly stunning!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    It's great to see someone choosing their own, very special, path and not bowing to expectation.
    & still maintaining a great customer relation / appreciation ahead of profit...

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I haven't, but I'm still expecting it to show up in my mailbox sometime this week or early next.
    Same here...

Did he take his shop / collection off the website?

It appears to have been removed from the top navigation. Still visible if you know the file path. I'm guessing there's some editing happening, not entirely sure.

Did he take his shop / collection off the website?
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

I think that a fair guess would be that he is updating pictures of his products in the new bottles. Just a guess.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I think that a fair guess would be that he is updating pictures of his products in the new bottles. Just a guess.
    Possible. I think he said on Twitter that it would take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to get the current stock into the new bottles. Perhaps he does have pictures already prepared though (like, has 4 bottles available to fill with the fragrances to photograph).

The web store will indeed be down for a few weeks until the new bottles have been fully instituted, so the distributors will be the place to purchase the regular stock until the switchover is complete.

The web store will indeed be down for a few weeks until the new bottles have been fully instituted, so the distributors will be the place to purchase the regular stock until the switchover is complete.
    Yep, and just a heads up, I used Parfum1 to get a bottle of Vikt, but they are running a bit slow and won't have a shipment in for a few days, so if you are looking to get a bottle, you are better off waiting a few days to place an order. I'm not sure if it is a similar situation for other bottles.

I still haven't received a shipping notification.

I still haven't received a shipping notification.
    They're still being entered. The last of the shipments did all leave yesterday, so you should get a notification today sometime.

Quick check - I have seen some vikt become available online so should I grab it come payday? Or is it now been added to the main line of fragrances and I can wait to grab a bottle later ?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post
    Quick check - I have seen some vikt become available online so should I grab it come payday? Or is it now been added to the main line of fragrances and I can wait to grab a bottle later ?
    It's a discontinued scent that was re-released in a limited amount last year. It's sold out at Slumberhouse, but there are a handful of bottles remaining through places like Parfum1. If you want a bottle, don't wait another second.

Basenotes Plus

I got a notification today. Tracking shows shipment was done two days ago. Don't despair, people.

I searched around and couldn't find anything about them--the glass beads. Why were they included in the bottles? Was the intention for them to help mix up the contents, or more of an aesthetic? I don't have a Slumberhouse fragrance yet... so I'm curious. Are the beads larger than the opening (meaning the bottles were made in a special way with them placed inside before sealing up), or can they come out of the bottle if the top is removed?

There's a photo for reference below. They were in place I assume to take up some of the 50ml volume as the juice itself was 30ml. Aesthetically, they look nice as well and I'm guessing the opening was larger than the beads.

I searched around and couldn't find anything about them--the glass beads. Why were they included in the bottles? Was the intention for them to help mix up the contents, or more of an aesthetic? I don't have a Slumberhouse fragrance yet... so I'm curious. Are the beads larger than the opening (meaning the bottles were made in a special way with them placed inside before sealing up), or can they come out of the bottle if the top is removed?
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

It's a discontinued scent that was re-released in a limited amount last year. It's sold out at Slumberhouse, but there are a handful of bottles remaining through places like Parfum1. If you want a bottle, don't wait another second.
    Parf1 still has it. Got a backup from them yesterday. My fav scent this winter.

btw, are Norne, Ore and Jeke still in production or have they gone the way of Vikt?

It was just a way to keep using the same bottle but the reduce the amount included. The cost of production of these scents is through the roof due to the materials involved, so a couple of years ago it was either reduce the amount or raise the price (he was literally losing money on Sova). This is where the marbles came in.

The old bottle was just a stock bottle used by a number of companies, and putting the marbles inside was time consuming and a pain. People genuinely liked the aesthetic, but really it was just a way to adjust the volume. The move to the new bottle was a way to increase efficiency, give the line a unique aesthetic, and represent the color of the fragrance in the process (which, if you can't tell, plays a big role in these scents).

represent the color of the fragrance in the process (which, if you can't tell, plays a big role in these scents).
    What do you mean? The old bottles still had its liquid's color visible.

Basenotes Plus

For the most part - however, the marbles reflected more light through the liquid, which gave it a lighter shade. Just look at the picture of Sova above. The top appears noticeably darker.

The sound of the marbles tinkling together is great

The new bottles frame the color even more because it's a wider, flatter surface. It's a feature of the design and it makes the scents seem like a block of color.
    Last edited by deadidol; 21st February 2014 at 07:34 PM.