Code of Conduct
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Results 601 to 660 of 968
  1. #601
    Dependent naylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,134

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Did anyone else catch the recent mention of Pear + Olive on Josh's twitter? He says the current rotation of fragrances will be available in the new bottles, starting in about 4-5 weeks (around the start of Spring). With that, Pear + Olive will revert back to the original EDP formula, and will be renamed "Minne."

  2. #602

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Did anyone else catch the recent mention of Pear + Olive on Josh's twitter? He says the current rotation of fragrances will be available in the new bottles, starting in about 4-5 weeks (around the start of Spring). With that, Pear + Olive will revert back to the original EDP formula, and will be renamed "Minne."
    Although I didn't catch it, this is indeed happening. The name "Pear + Olive" has always stood out as too descriptive from the rest of the line, and as the (relatively) abstract naming minimize imposed narratives (allowing the wearer to invest the scent with their own interpretation), it was decided to switch this one over. Now, the big question is, how do we pronounce it?

  3. #603
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    It's HERE!!!! My Zahd was just delivered. Squeeee!!!
    Congrats! I have to wait another day - had it delivered at work and though there were people working yesterday, the front door was closed so it wasn't received. I requested the post office to redeliver tomorrow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Has anyone tried Mare? I keep going into a shop that carries Slumberhouse and sampling it about once a month. It's green and smells like dill pickles to me. I love it but not sure I want to smell like pickles... Opinions please!
    Although I don't get pickles, I can see why someone would get that association.

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Always wanted to try Mare as I'm a huge fan of vetiver. However, everything I had read steered me away from buying blindly.
    I bought it blindly from the initial limited run he did back in June (before it was made available on the SH website) and was blown away by it. I love the weirdness and the unique take on violet and vetiver. That said, I only wear it every once in a while - probably four times, altogether, so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I own Mare and love it. I get a melony-cucumber (pre-pickle) thing from it, with an aquatic touch. Occasionally I pick up on a vegetal aspect. Sometimes it reminds me of a freshwater pond in the early morning in summer--placid, foggy, a little balmy…or a cool, natural pool of water you might stumble upon in a forest. It's peaceful and a little strange too, like a weird green nymph might also be lurking around the pond. It definitely possesses the Slumberhouse quirkiness.
    This is very much what I get, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    The name "Pear + Olive" has always stood out as too descriptive from the rest of the line, and as the (relatively) abstract naming minimize imposed narratives (allowing the wearer to invest the scent with their own interpretation), it was decided to switch this one over. Now, the big question is, how do we pronounce it?
    Yep, and it makes me roll my eyes a little when people say it doesn't smell exactly like pear and olive, so I'm glad the explicitness will be taken out. P+O was actually the one SH offering that proved the most challenging for me to like and is the last bottle I've bought from the line. Now to wait and sea how the lower concentration changes the scent - I didn't get to smell the EdP version.

    It's pronounced "mine-en-nae," obviously.

  4. #604

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    It's pronounced "mine-en-nae," obviously.
    You have to stress the 'ne' parts as 'inyea' though.

    Minyea-en-inyea.

    Done.

  5. #605

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I own Mare and love it. I get a melony-cucumber (pre-pickle) thing from it, with an aquatic touch. Occasionally I pick up on a vegetal aspect. Sometimes it reminds me of a freshwater pond in the early morning in summer--placid, foggy, a little balmy…or a cool, natural pool of water you might stumble upon in a forest. It's peaceful and a little strange too, like a weird green nymph might also be lurking around the pond. It definitely possesses the Slumberhouse quirkiness. I haven't smelled it in about a month, because I've been studying Vikt….and now Zahd. But like you, I had started with a sample of it and it kept haunting me and calling me back, and then one day the sample was empty, so I ordered a bottle. At the risk of extreme cheesiness, this is sort of what I picture when I smell Mare (bonus nymph included!)
    I love this description of it! Honestly, I've had a hard time with this one -- I really get something too vegetal from it. It's largely vetiver and violet leaf, but as always, the materials are unorthodox and it's spun away from what we normally understand violet to be. My own concern is that there are several scents from the line that I really didn't enjoy at first (although I could appreciate them), but came to love them later.

  6. #606
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Did anyone else catch the recent mention of Pear + Olive on Josh's twitter? He says the current rotation of fragrances will be available in the new bottles, starting in about 4-5 weeks (around the start of Spring). With that, Pear + Olive will revert back to the original EDP formula, and will be renamed "Minne."
    It was me he replied to on Twitter :P. I already knew, but it was cool that I was tagged.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  7. #607

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Our own Persolaise did a nice write-up of the regular line right here: http://persolaise.blogspot.com/2014/...a-ore-and.html

  8. #608

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Kere sounds interesting. I think I had a sample of it at some point and passed it along. Anyone remember what it smells like? Also, were the samples like Kere and Iska ever sold by Slumberhouse or just samples of test fragrances...can't quite remember them being sold?
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

    *** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ON SALE ***ONLY 1 LEFT!*** (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin)

    ***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.
    ***

  9. #609
    Basenotes Junkie james1051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Our own Persolaise did a nice write-up of the regular line right here: http://persolaise.blogspot.com/2014/...a-ore-and.html
    Is Sova still part of the regular line up?

  10. #610
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Kere sounds interesting. I think I had a sample of it at some point and passed it along. Anyone remember what it smells like? Also, were the samples like Kere and Iska ever sold by Slumberhouse or just samples of test fragrances...can't quite remember them being sold?
    Kere is a praline, caramel kind of scent, very sweet. I liked it a lot when I wore my little sample, but I can see why it never made a full on release really.

    Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Is Sova still part of the regular line up?
    No, it was discontinued due to the unavailability of materials, sadly. It remains to this day my favorite from him though.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  11. #611
    Basenotes Junkie james1051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I wore a sample of Sova last night. Good stuff, interesting.

  12. #612

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Just out of curiosity , is there anyone outside of USA who order Zahd? Up until now i still haven't received a shipping notification.

  13. #613

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    No 100ml in this design I'm afraid.
    Is Josh going to continue offering the 100ml in the old bottles then?

  14. #614

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Is Josh going to continue offering the 100ml in the old bottles then?
    Possibly! He has some left, but I don't think there's an official 100ml option planned as of right now.

  15. #615

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Aside from the new Vikt, P+O or Zahd, I can't imagine going through any 100mls of Slumberhouse. My 50ml EdP's I think would already last 2 lifetimes...maybe more LOL.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

    *** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ON SALE ***ONLY 1 LEFT!*** (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin)

    ***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.
    ***

  16. #616
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,679

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I wore a sample of Sova last night. Good stuff, interesting.
    Still my favorite. Amazing scent. Sort of like a feeling or a place, rather than a fragrance.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  17. #617

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Aside from the new Vikt, P+O or Zahd, I can't imagine going through any 100mls of Slumberhouse. My 50ml EdP's I think would already last 2 lifetimes...maybe more LOL.
    Jeke I could go through easily, and according to Josh Norne gets better with age due to it's ingredients. More importantly, I'm concerned about continued availability.

  18. #618

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Aside from the new Vikt, P+O or Zahd, I can't imagine going through any 100mls of Slumberhouse. My 50ml EdP's I think would already last 2 lifetimes...maybe more LOL.
    I have a friend who bought 200ml of Norne. He's going for a Hulk effect it seems.

  19. #619
    Dependent chili_willi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,697

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Still my favorite. Amazing scent. Sort of like a feeling or a place, rather than a fragrance.
    Sova is great and my favorite as well, and I will readily admit that I made a mistake by not buying a bottle of Norne on Black Friday. I hope Josh does it again this year.

  20. #620

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Totally. Same for me. Memories of my grandmother's farm in Northern Illinois during the fall months. Animals in the barn, hay, old wood, fires and leather goods hanging next to old rusted machinery.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Still my favorite. Amazing scent. Sort of like a feeling or a place, rather than a fragrance.
    Lol deadidol. Your buddy probably smells like one of the guys on Axemen (lumberjack show.) That's a ton of juice. I understand people stocking up with limited availability or possible reworkings. Makes sense.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

    *** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ON SALE ***ONLY 1 LEFT!*** (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin)

    ***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.
    ***

  21. #621
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I have to wait another day - had it delivered at work and though there were people working yesterday, the front door was closed so it wasn't received. I requested the post office to redeliver tomorrow.
    I have my Zahd bottles in front of me.

    A co-worker received it so he brought it to me and was like "you have a package from Slumberhouse - that sounds familiar. What is it? I've heard of it before." So I thought the only way he would've heard of it was from me receiving packages before... I had Vikt delivered here and probably something else before that. So I just left it at "it's a company that makes perfume."

    Then, a colleague I share the office with asked me about it so I gave him a brief background on Zahd and on Slumberhouse. He asked if they had samples and I offered to bring him some... I just have to think of what to expose him to as he's been loyal to Curve since he was a teenager.

  22. #622

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by andreas2x View Post
    Just out of curiosity , is there anyone outside of USA who order Zahd? Up until now i still haven't received a shipping notification.
    Yes - still waiting patiently for my bottle and shipping notification, whichever comes first.

    I believe there are also other folks overseas who haven't received theirs either.

  23. #623
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Well both by Zahd and my Vikt arrived at home today. Gonna be a long week until I can wear them, but I'm distracting myself today with Ore.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  24. #624
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I'm hoping and praying a bottle of Sova turns up. I'm half tempted to beg one of ya'll for a sample of Zahd, but since it can't be had, I probably better not. I really need to test the ones that are actually available1
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

    My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

  25. #625
    Basenotes Junkie james1051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I'm hoping and praying a bottle of Sova turns up. I'm half tempted to beg one of ya'll for a sample of Zahd, but since it can't be had, I probably better not. I really need to test the ones that are actually available1
    ditto on the Sova. That stuff is gone. Why I grabbed a little extry of the Vikt, as it is done too.

  26. #626

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Indiescents still have a little Vikt...it's on the website.

  27. #627

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I'm hoping and praying a bottle of Sova turns up. I'm half tempted to beg one of ya'll for a sample of Zahd, but since it can't be had, I probably better not. I really need to test the ones that are actually available1
    If you want a sample just PM me your address and I'll ship one out.

  28. #628

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Just a polite reminder that we don't ask for or offer samples, etc., in discussion threads (other than in the designated 'give-away" threads for offering) as it's considered to be Trading & sets a bad example to new members, some of whom 'try it on' as soon as they join up.
    There's a Marketplace 'Wanted' section.
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/31-Fragrances-Wanted
    Last edited by lpp; 25th February 2014 at 01:15 PM.

  29. #629
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    You're very kind notwhatimsaying, but I really think I'll end up jonesing for it so best to not try it and then pine away. That's the reason I posted my comment Lpp, not that I'm asking. More as a bit of humor. But I do thank you for the kind offer. Very generous.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

    My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

  30. #630

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    A bunch of Slumberhouse samples came in today:

    Flou (Extrait)
    Grev
    Jeke (Extrait)
    Norne (Extrait)
    Ore (Extrait)
    Rume
    Sana (Extrait)
    Sova (Extrait)
    Vikt

  31. #631
    Basenotes Junkie james1051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Lucked out big time today and found a bottle of Sova!

  32. #632
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    What!? where!?
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

    My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

  33. #633
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Wearing my bottle of Vikt for the first time tonight...and I am very impressed and already love this stuff.

    Okay, maybe I don't hate you guys.

    EDIT: Adding onto this. This has been the first fragrance from Josh in a while that I've loved on first sniff. The original Zahd sample I got was that way, but before that it was Sova and the EDP of Ore. I immediately considered getting a second bottle, and this is just after one wearing. I can tell this stuff is addictive, and I really love the way the licorice/anise/fennel (whatever it is) plays with the incense and the REAL black agar and mysore sandalwood. This is really of extreme quality, and though I expect this in some ways of Josh, this is nearly on another level of sheer clarity of notes and blending from him. I love this stuff already.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 1st March 2014 at 01:31 AM.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  34. #634
    Basenotes Junkie james1051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Wearing my bottle of Vikt for the first time tonight...and I am very impressed and already love this stuff.

    Okay, maybe I don't hate you guys.

    EDIT: Adding onto this. This has been the first fragrance from Josh in a while that I've loved on first sniff. The original Zahd sample I got was that way, but before that it was Sova and the EDP of Ore. I immediately considered getting a second bottle, and this is just after one wearing. I can tell this stuff is addictive, and I really love the way the licorice/anise/fennel (whatever it is) plays with the incense and the REAL black agar and mysore sandalwood. This is really of extreme quality, and though I expect this in some ways of Josh, this is nearly on another level of sheer clarity of notes and blending from him. I love this stuff already.
    Yup. My favorite scent of the winter.

  35. #635
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,679

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Lucked out big time today and found a bottle of Sova!
    Fantastic!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  36. #636
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,679

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Wearing my bottle of Vikt for the first time tonight...and I am very impressed and already love this stuff.

    Okay, maybe I don't hate you guys.

    EDIT: Adding onto this. This has been the first fragrance from Josh in a while that I've loved on first sniff. The original Zahd sample I got was that way, but before that it was Sova and the EDP of Ore. I immediately considered getting a second bottle, and this is just after one wearing. I can tell this stuff is addictive, and I really love the way the licorice/anise/fennel (whatever it is) plays with the incense and the REAL black agar and mysore sandalwood. This is really of extreme quality, and though I expect this in some ways of Josh, this is nearly on another level of sheer clarity of notes and blending from him. I love this stuff already.
    Wonderful to hear Octavarium. I liked it, from the sample I got recently, but it was not a **love**.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  37. #637
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I'm hoping to sample Vikt shortly, your description makes it sound all the more tempting OctaVariuM!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

    My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

  38. #638
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I'm hoping to sample Vikt shortly, your description makes it sound all the more tempting OctaVariuM!
    It really is very good. I've worn it a few times now (back to back days) and I've noticed that the incense in the dry down is really fantastic. The only
    negative for me is the longevity, which lasts only about 4 or 5 hours on my skin before becoming a skin scent. It might improve if I dare to wear more than one spray, so I'll see how it goes in the future.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

    Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

  39. #639

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Does anyone have the note breakdown of the newest Slumberhouse Vikt?
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

    *** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ON SALE ***ONLY 1 LEFT!*** (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin)

    ***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.
    ***

  40. #640

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Does anyone have the note breakdown of the newest Slumberhouse Vikt?
    Well, briefly, it's anise, sweet fennel, ravensara, and toscanol for the licorice effect, then the main players are styrax, oud, sandalwood, and some different attars.

  41. #641

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Thanks deadidol. I was curious as to what notes differed from the older juice. The new Vikt is so much more mellow than the old juice. I'm guessing it was the addition of sandalwood and attars. I get a lot more licorice from the new Vikt. The old juice for me was more about the black oud and styrax with hints of anise much like a metallic resinous tree sap.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Well, briefly, it's anise, sweet fennel, ravensara, and toscanol for the licorice effect, then the main players are styrax, oud, sandalwood, and some different attars.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

    *** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ON SALE ***ONLY 1 LEFT!*** (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin)

    ***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.
    ***

  42. #642

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    It really is very good. I've worn it a few times now (back to back days) and I've noticed that the incense in the dry down is really fantastic. The only
    negative for me is the longevity, which lasts only about 4 or 5 hours on my skin before becoming a skin scent. It might improve if I dare to wear more than one spray, so I'll see how it goes in the future.
    Glad to hear you like Vikt!

  43. #643

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I'm wearing Rume EdP today, it's such and interesting scent. It's been well over a year since I have last worn the Rume, so I figured I'd give my revised breakdown of the scent. The top of Rume is herbal, sweet-syrupy (resinous), sharp and slightly abrasive. Clove and Bay mingle with a deep and dark labdanum note which mellows into the heart, but rides the fragrance out. Clove moves up front and center in the middle of Rume along with Myrhh, labdanum retains its presence but in the back of the other notes. At this point Rume begins to smell a little bit like an ancient mulled fruit wine with medicinal herbs and continues to get spicier through the wear. As Rume gets spicy, it somehow gets lighter and lighter and slightly dusty. This gives Rume a potpourri-like feel that simply reminds me of Christmas days as a child. Over time, I still have not dropped this connection to Christmas via a distant fragrance memory. Rume is thought-evoking, rich and ancient and I still absolute adore it!

    Side Note: The opening and development of Rume somewhat reminds me of Norma Kamali Incense. A dark picture, harsh opening lends way to a somewhat lighter interpretation of resins. Both are done totally different scents, but totally develop similarly IMO.
    Last edited by rynegne; 4th March 2014 at 04:12 PM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

    *** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ON SALE ***ONLY 1 LEFT!*** (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin)

    ***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.
    ***

  44. #644

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    At this point Rume begins to smell a little bit like an ancient mulled fruit wine with medicinal herbs and continues to get spicier through the wear. As Rume gets spicy, it somehow gets lighter and lighter and slightly dusty.
    Completely on point. It's festive, in a brooding way I think. A darker holiday scent. Not that what I just said makes sense, but hey.

    I'm hoping for a gothic-incense fragrance, next.

  45. #645

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Completely on point. It's festive, in a brooding way I think. A darker holiday scent. Not that what I just said makes sense, but hey.

    I'm hoping for a gothic-incense fragrance, next.
    Avignon and Bois d'Encens are both in my Top 5, but I too would love a Slumberhouse take on this. I doubt strongly he would though as he usually goes the path less travelled


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  46. #646

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Avignon and Bois d'Encens are both in my Top 5, but I too would love a Slumberhouse take on this. I doubt strongly he would though as he usually goes the path less travelled


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    have you tried Messe de Minuit by Etro?

  47. #647
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I'm trying Vikt today and finding it to have quite lot of movement. The first hour was thick sweet with the anise. Now it's moved to something that makes me think of solvent and creosote (creosote is the scent of rain here in the desert where I live, a welcome scent indeed.). Very resinous. But the whole time smells thick like molasses. I don't think I've encountered this aspect in a fragrance before now.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

    My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

  48. #648

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I'm trying Vikt today and finding it to have quite lot of movement. The first hour was thick sweet with the anise. Now it's moved to something that makes me think of solvent and creosote (creosote is the scent of rain here in the desert where I live, a welcome scent indeed.). Very resinous. But the whole time smells thick like molasses. I don't think I've encountered this aspect in a fragrance before now.
    I don't get its praise. The licorice opening is nasty.

  49. #649

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    I don't get its praise. The licorice opening is nasty.
    I appreciate your comment. I was just about to order the last bottle left on Parfum1.

  50. #650

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I appreciate your comment. I was just about to order the last bottle left on Parfum1.
    You're welcome. And I'm a huge fan of his scents, but it's just unwearable. It's medicinal black licorice, precisely. Anything else that people say about it is blind worship of his scents.

    I mean, I'll be honest - I definitely love the Slumberhouse lineup, but in reality - Norne and Sova are the ONLY two that work for me. Jeke is absurdly smokey where it's overwhelming, Pear & Olive is interesting but that's about it. Sova was gorgeous, Norne is gorgeous. Ore is an attempt at chocolate that is done much better by other houses. His more "failed" experiments (Flou, Sana, Grev) are just too off the wall for me. Rume is fantastic, but EXTREMELY limited in where you can wear it. Etc, just feel there is a lot of blind worship that CAN make Josh's artistic expression lose focus as it delves into more odd things (eg: Vikt, Zahd, etc - good, but are they PHENOMENAL? I mean, wearable should be a standard).

  51. #651

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    have you tried Messe de Minuit by Etro?
    Yes, I own a bottle. It's a very weird, unique take and very Slumberhouse-like in my opinion. Good mention!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  52. #652

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    To each their own, really, but I think one has to try these scents to know what they're actually like.

    I'm acquainted with the old Vikt EDP, and have to admit I was a little dismayed when I first heard about the liquorice in the new extrait version because I wasn't terribly keen on smelling like that. But I took the plunge anyway after doing a bit of homework, and guess what - it turned out to be one of the most comfortable, wearable scents on me.

  53. #653
    Basenotes Junkie james1051's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    I don't get its praise. The licorice opening is nasty.
    Or awesome, depending.

  54. #654

    Default Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    You're welcome. And I'm a huge fan of his scents, but it's just unwearable. It's medicinal black licorice, precisely. Anything else that people say about it is blind worship of his scents.
    Thanks for putting us in place. I actually find it to be one of the best he's done (and I dislike quite a few), but at least now I know my liking it is invalid.

    I'll throw it out as soon as I get home an eagerly await your instruction as to what I can like.

  55. #655

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Thanks for putting us in place. I actually find it to be one of the best he's done (and I dislike quite a few), but at least now I know my liking it is invalid.

    I'll throw it out as soon as I get home an eagerly await your instruction as to what I can like.
    You can like Serge Lutens - consistently fantastic, in my eyes.

  56. #656

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    You can like Serge Lutens - consistently fantastic, in my eyes.

    Presumably sans vetiver

    Seriously - we all have different tastes but to say that something is 'nasty' because one doesn't enjoy a particular note is not particularly illuminating.
    It's better to say 'I don't like the liquorice note, therefore this doesn't appeal to me' than to make a blind statement that 'It's nasty' - because it may well be 'nasty' to you - but it's really not universally nasty to everyone

  57. #657

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Presumably sans vetiver

    Seriously - we all have different tastes but to say that something is 'nasty' because one doesn't enjoy a particular note is not particularly illuminating.
    It's better to say 'I don't like the liquorice note, therefore this doesn't appeal to me' than to make a blind statement that 'It's nasty' - because it may well be 'nasty' to you - but it's really not universally nasty to everyone
    You're absolutely correct. I retract my original universal condescension and will leave my opinion of dissatisfaction with Vikt! And dislike of vetiver

  58. #658
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Presumably sans vetiver

    Seriously - we all have different tastes but to say that something is 'nasty' because one doesn't enjoy a particular note is not particularly illuminating.
    It's better to say 'I don't like the liquorice note, therefore this doesn't appeal to me' than to make a blind statement that 'It's nasty' - because it may well be 'nasty' to you - but it's really not universally nasty to everyone
    I am glad I caught the very steep Yin/Yang of Slumberhouse at the beginning, when I got some of the first samples. One of the scents just blew me away as one of the most original and creative fragrances I'd ever smelled, but to me it was really borderline unwearable. Before I could even post on it, others were jumping in and wearing it and buying it, and some even seemed to think that particular fragrance was among the "tamer" scents in the samples! I immediately realized that I was something of a "Slumberhouse conservative", so I just told myself to wait for the scents that would inevitably land in my corner of the yard. In the meanwhile, a lot of noses I respected were getting on the train, in ways that made sense. As soon as people started calling out Zahd as accessible, approachable, etc., I knew it was going to be my thing.

    Everybody toys with nasty because that's part of fragrance. Most of the things we love in fragrance are basically chemical defenses. On the pepper thing, I check out right above jalopeño, but my son does ghost peppers. I think the Slumberhouse scale is somewhat analogous to the Scoville scale. What surprises me is how most people are actually closer to the higher end of both of them, than I am. I have made a conscious effort to try hotter peppers and to wear challenging scents, but most people have left simply me in the dust on both of these things.
    * * * *

  59. #659

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    If you'd like, go green. I'll be the proud recipient of your new Slumberhouse recycling program :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I'll throw it out as soon as I get home
    On a serious note, I thought the new Vikt with the addition of licorice might possibly be off putting. However, I've found the new Vikt to be much smoother and more wearable than its EdP counterpart. The EdP I found to be much more metallic, sharp and abrasive to be honest. I loved the heavy dose of black oud which seems to be buried in the new blend and the overall longevity but that's it. I have found the new Vikt to be the most wearable work Josh's created to date. If it wasn't in such short run, I could see myself wearing it quite often. Different strokes for different folks...I didn't care for Zahd much at all (Seems like I'm the only lonely outcast.) Everyone's different, that's for sure...*I tried Leather Oud yesterday and wow...Yuck. But some people love it!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

    *** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ON SALE ***ONLY 1 LEFT!*** (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin)

    ***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.
    ***

  60. #660
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

    I am not at all a fan of licorice, but Vikt extrait is one of my favorite fragrances of late. I find it to be extremely comforting.

Similar Threads

  1. Slumberhouse Ore
    By OctaVariuM in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th April 2013, 02:01 AM
  2. Slumberhouse
    By Diogenes65 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 6th March 2013, 07:44 PM
  3. Slumberhouse - Ore
    By rynegne in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th February 2013, 09:01 PM
  4. Slumberhouse
    By UngerWoo in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th December 2011, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •