Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Yeah, it's probably wise to clarify that there's no actual licorice involved!

It's anise, ravensara, and fennel. So if you like any of those notes, it's totally worth a sniff. It's one of his more accessible scents for sure, but it's very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    And I'm a huge fan of his scents, but it's just unwearable. It's medicinal black licorice, precisely. Anything else that people say about it is blind worship of his scents. I mean, I'll be honest - I definitely love the Slumberhouse lineup, but in reality - Norne and Sova are the ONLY two that work for me. Jeke is absurdly smokey where it's overwhelming, Pear & Olive is interesting but that's about it. Sova was gorgeous, Norne is gorgeous. Ore is an attempt at chocolate that is done much better by other houses. His more "failed" experiments (Flou, Sana, Grev) are just too off the wall for me. Rume is fantastic, but EXTREMELY limited in where you can wear it. Etc, just feel there is a lot of blind worship that CAN make Josh's artistic expression lose focus as it delves into more odd things (eg: Vikt, Zahd, etc - good, but are they PHENOMENAL? I mean, wearable should be a standard).
    Not trying to stir the pot, but...

I fail to see how you "love" the lineup & be a "huge" fan of his creations, with just 2 that have clicked so far for u??? If "wearable" is your main criteria, why would you buy all his fragrances?

For all others participating in this thread, there's something more than just the scent or wearability - most Slumberhouse fans (myself included), love other houses & their creations (from my personal communication with a few basenoters on this thread). Not one member from this thread purely wears SH day in & day out or sings praises or worships the house...As for phenomenal, I consider many fragrances from many houses to be such; this thread being a Slumberhouse discussion thread, if you didn't see the title, means more people liking than disliking the house might / will participate & shower praises. So I should warn you - there's a massive Creed thread going on, suggest you don't go there, I mean, people there are crying those to be phenomenal as well...

I love Slumberhouse creations, as much as I do my MPeG's Santal Noble, with its leaky bottle (I use plumber's tape - seriously) & with it's max 3-4hrs longevity; as much as I love my entire godawfully expensive Guerlain's; love the vintage Furyo I own - a top 10 for sure on a list I'll never make & many others from many other houses...

Coming back to wearability - I work in an office space setting; with both upper mgmt & union staff - I';ve worn SH fragrances, particularly heavier stuff like Vikt, Norne, Jeke, Sova & Rume with ease & to many compliments (to note - the max compliments I've ever recvd are for Montale Aoud Lime - which I've stated on many threads - damn, i'm such a Montale worshipper)...

On Mare which I still cannot understand - a b'ful woman with a wonderful fashion sense, with whom I'm lucky enough to work with commented saying, she's not smelt such a parfum ever - this was on the first day I wore it; she asked me to wear it the next day as well.

Now I can weave any story I want; but I'm a hard working person, on whom my family depends, so I'm not going to waste my time @ 1235 in the night writing stories...So with no offence meant, I hope you don't sound like you have no idea what you are saying in the future.

Beautifully put, badarun.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I fail to see how you "love" the lineup & be a "huge" fan of his creations, with just 2 that have clicked so far for u??? If "wearable" is your main criteria, why would you buy all his fragrances?

On Mare which I still cannot understand - a b'ful woman with a wonderful fashion sense, with whom I'm lucky enough to work with commented saying, she's not smelt such a parfum ever - this was on the first day I wore it; she asked me to wear it the next day as well.
    Seems contradictory for sure. I enjoy the idea and courage behind his releases, but I think he's trying "too hard" to be different at this point. Vikt is ridiculously potent and offputting. Mare, while absolutely unique, lacks the wearability factor. Zahd has a terrible note of cherry medicine I can't escape. Then his B line releases like Grev, Flou, Sana, etc do nothing for me. Only the few I mentioned are very good, and I think if he focuses on wearability he'll hit something great.

I guess that different people just have different tastes - personally, I find the line hugely exciting and innovative.

It had never previously occurred to me that I might like a foresty fragrance (Norne) enough to be comfortable wearing one and the thought of actually buying something containing a cocoa note was unimaginable before trying Ore.

The devotion to quality is also very apparent in these compositions but they are not for everyone in the same way that many other lines are not.
    Last edited by lpp; 5th March 2014 at 01:12 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I wear it, therefore it's wearable.

Seems contradictory for sure. I enjoy the idea and courage behind his releases, but I think he's trying "too hard" to be different at this point. Vikt is ridiculously potent and offputting. Mare, while absolutely unique, lacks the wearability factor. Zahd has a terrible note of cherry medicine I can't escape. Then his B line releases like Grev, Flou, Sana, etc do nothing for me. Only the few I mentioned are very good, and I think if he focuses on wearability he'll hit something great.
    I don't think any parfumeur will look at one person's wearability opinion (yours) to create something to please...Slumberhouse, in particular, has always had that X factor & unfortunately for your thoughts, seems to be doing quite well (I mean, a yet to be sampled on parfum got sold out within 24 hrs - can u name other houses that have done that?). You might see some hardcore fans here - but none including myself is going to buy something @ 125+ for a 30ml to plainly show our admiration for the "unwearable" creations from this house (in your opinion)...So you are wise to choose from the millions of pleasing "wearable" parfums from the market - the one or few bottles you buy from this house in spite of finding these unwearable, might actually be someone's find, so why buy & deprive someone else of enjoyment?

I'm just getting introduced to this house but have tried Sova, Ore, Jeke and Norne so far. (I tried P& O some time ago and didn't care for it, but I plan to try it again as my nose has definitely changed) At any rate, of the 4 I mention above, all but Norne are wearable for me personally. And Norne may be once I get accustomed to it.

I find that the aesthetic of these scents is certainly very different from what I typically find in perfumery. I haven't yet experienced anything that seems challenging to me personally. For me, the fact that its different is what interests me. I like something to be a bit unexpected. As to how wearable a given scent is, I think that has a great deal to do with what an individual is comfortable with. A more confident person is likely to wear something that others would think is unwearable.

I'm in agreement with others here that feel like the blanket statements made about SH fragrances being nasty or unwearable indicate that the one making such statements considers themselves to be the final authority. In a world such as fragrance, final authorities don't exist and won't be viewed with joy I would think. I find it more useful to say 'my opinion of this is xyz, but someone else may feel differently'.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

but I think he's trying "too hard" to be different at this point.
    Different to what? When he started making these things, he didn't even know niche perfumery existed. They were made largely as alternatives to pedestrian crap. If you think he's trying too hard to do anything outside of make the best scents that he possible can, you're missing the boat entirely. It is, however, your opinion (which is valid).
    Vikt is ridiculously potent and offputting.
    Not to me (or many others it seems). Therefore your claim is invalid; it's simply an opinion.
    Mare, while absolutely unique, lacks the wearability factor.
    People seem to be wearing it just fine. It's not to my taste, but lots of people are wearing and enjoying it. Therefore your claim is invalid; it's simply an opinion.

Zahd has a terrible note of cherry medicine I can't escape.
    No cherry medicine in mine, thankfully. You might want to stop chugging cough syrup while typing This is indicative of the limits of language when discussing such things though. Zahd may cause you to make associations of cherry medicine, but there's nothing like that in it. For me, I associate with fireworks—a big, explosive brightness—but it contains no gunpowder (at least I don't think it does!)
    Then his B line releases like Grev, Flou, Sana, etc do nothing for me.
    Okay. They do a lot for me—in fact Grev is one of my favorites from the line and I have a FB of Sana too. Outside of them doing nothing for you, what's your point and how does that relate to the rest of us?
    Only the few I mentioned are very good
    Very good in your opinion. In my opinion, you're very wrong, but that's just my opinion.
    I think if he focuses on wearability he'll hit something great.
    I think you're barking up the wrong tree entirely. Great was something he mastered some time ago with the release of Norne—at least that what it seems like to me. This is never going to be a line that has pedestrian appeal, and it's really suited to those of us who want something different. To me, the Allure flankers, all those Isse Miyake flankers, and stuff like Mugler are genuinely challenging and unwearable. So the point is that just because you find these unwearable, doesn't mean others do.

Just a few posts ago you made some grand, sweeping generalizations that were largely questionable and wholly unsupported. Apparently, they caused one person not to go through with the purchase of the last bottle of a scent available. If that person were to later smell the scent and find out that it was none of what you said it was (nasty, unwearable etc)., they'd have every reason not to trust your opinion any further.

Your opinions are totally valid—but they're just opinions. Criticism of the line and of the scent is not only welcomed, but encouraged, as what better way to improve? But saying somethings nasty (when many would disagree), or that something is objectively bad simply because you don't like it, are hardly critical. They're merely unsupported claims. Of course, these sort of generalizations are normal—and I'm sure we all make them—but I can't help but wonder if you're fundamentally missing the point of what this line is about? You're certainly a proponent, though -- that's for sure!
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th March 2014 at 09:04 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Except for Sova (which was love at first sniff), I was turned off by the rest of the samples I got when I first tried Slumberhouse (it was the extrait versions of P+O, Jeke, and Norne). The first impression I got from Jeke was "barbecue sauce" which repeated itself with Norne. Pear + Olive I initially found to be 'easier,' but something about it just didn't sit well with me. I was vocal about this on the original SH discussion thread. I more or less fell in love with Norne upon second wearing, and I decided it would be the next SH to make it to my wardrobe... it was actually Mare that did, and Jeke came next. I even got Ore before receiving Norne as a gift.

Pear + Olive was the one that took me the longest to appreciate in a positive manner, but is now in my collection. I'm looking forward to the Minne iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Pear + Olive was the one that took me the longest to appreciate in a positive manner, but is now in my collection. I'm looking forward to the Minne iteration.
    Am also looking forward to Minne. Is that a change of name only or might we see some change in the fragrance itself?

Can we all just stop feeding the obvious troll here? Never thought I'd see one stroll into the Slumberhouse thread, but it is pretty obvious. We all have opinions, but the way he phrases everything, and indeed his username itself, are all pretty clear indicators of trolling.

Now, let's all get back to loving our bottles.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Can we all just stop feeding the obvious troll here? Never thought I'd see one stroll into the Slumberhouse thread, but it is pretty obvious. We all have opinions, but the way he phrases everything, and indeed his username itself, are all pretty clear indicators of trolling.

A Slumberhouse troll on BN? Nah, no way. Josh has so many fans here, why would he need a troll? [Okay, wait. Define troll. ]

You're welcome. And I'm a huge fan of his scents, but it's just unwearable. It's medicinal black licorice, precisely. Anything else that people say about it is blind worship of his scents.

I mean, I'll be honest - I definitely love the Slumberhouse lineup, but in reality - Norne and Sova are the ONLY two that work for me. Jeke is absurdly smokey where it's overwhelming, Pear & Olive is interesting but that's about it. Sova was gorgeous, Norne is gorgeous. Ore is an attempt at chocolate that is done much better by other houses. His more "failed" experiments (Flou, Sana, Grev) are just too off the wall for me. Rume is fantastic, but EXTREMELY limited in where you can wear it. Etc, just feel there is a lot of blind worship that CAN make Josh's artistic expression lose focus as it delves into more odd things (eg: Vikt, Zahd, etc - good, but are they PHENOMENAL? I mean, wearable should be a standard).
    Gotta respectfully totally disagree. When I discovered Slumberhouse I knew zilch about the house and had been a perfumista all of 3 months. I'd been ordering and testing samples like mad, though. When I opened samples of Jeke, Norne, Ore, Pear + Olive and Sova, they totally blew me away and I bought all of them but Sova. Only later did I learn about Josh and Slumberhouse's history. For me, it's a challenge to wear some of them, but I want to smell them the rest of my life. They are magnificent creations that delight my nose like nothing I've ever encountered. Worship? Yes. Blind? No way.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 6th March 2014 at 12:44 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Am also looking forward to Minne. Is that a change of name only or might we see some change in the fragrance itself?
    The info I've seen on it is that it's going back to its original concentration (EdP). I don't think if the formulation is going to be reworked.

Because I genuinely dislike something I'm trolling? Okay, I guess my participation in EVERY other thread doesn't count.

Because I genuinely dislike something I'm trolling? Okay, I guess my participation in EVERY other thread doesn't count.
    No, because you stick around and keep continuing to talk about it when it was made clear that your opinion is just that, an opinion. Not to mention your general demeanor this whole time. It is one thing to say you don't like a fragrance and list some reasonable descriptions as to why, and it is another entirely to just cast away a house (or a whole set of fragrances) due to said opinion. Anyways, this will be the last post I read from you.I have no issue with anyone disliking Slumberhouse, or any fragrance that I like, but this I don't much care for.

Anyway, I find it interesting how little I am drawing as comparisons between Vikt EDP and the new extrait. I definitely still get the black agar and the anise/fennel note is more pronounced than in the EDP, but as a whole I think the newer version is pretty different from the other. The sandalwood in the new one is quite excellent, as well as the super incense note (deadidol. is that the sytrax?).
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 6th March 2014 at 03:48 AM.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Blog Entries

I'd like to just ask *everybody* to get back to discussing the line and how we feel about it, and stick to that. We need to be understanding that others may simply choose words that we don't. If those words provoke you, remember - how you react is a choice, just as how you react to a scent becomes, at the highest levels, a choice. My advice here is always to wait for a high-level response to form.

The mods will act if we feel things are getting out of hand, or that the line of trolling has been crossed. I'm also asking that the current argument cease.

I've been thinking about this whole thing, and my own feelings toward the line.

Slumberhouse is a brand which chooses to explore regions of smell-space that are somewhat uncharted in perfumery. This is dangerous territory for perfumery, and we expect a wide range of responses from people. We need to be able to hear them all.

I think Luca Turin's review of Norne is fantastic, in that he knows how to say "don't be shocked if you think this is nasty - you were warned" - without coming anywhere near the word.

"Pan's after-shave". Anybody who has read "Jitterbug Perfume" knows exactly what he's saying there! That is the point in the book where Tom Robbins has taken you far, far, far beyond the casual love of perfume.

Luca's rating was 3 bottles - "good" - but not "recommended". Why? Because Slumberhouse is Slumberhouse. Recommendations in a publication are impersonal, and are likely to fall on tender noses. I can just as easily imagine him saying to an abstract musician in person, "You simply MUST try this line."
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 6th March 2014 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'd like to just ask *everybody* to get back to discussing the line and how we feel about it, and stick to that. We need to be understanding that others may simply choose words that we don't. If those words provoke you, remember - how you react is a choice, just as how you react to a scent becomes, at the highest levels, a choice. My advice here is always to wait for a high-level response to form.

The mods will act if we feel things are getting out of hand, or that the line of trolling has been crossed. I'm also asking that the current argument cease.

I've been thinking about this whole thing, and my own feelings toward the line.

Slumberhouse is a brand which chooses to explore regions of smell-space that are somewhat uncharted in perfumery. This is dangerous territory for perfumery, and we expect a wide range of responses from people. We need to be able to hear them all.

I think Luca Turin's review of Norne is fantastic, in that he knows how to say "don't be shocked if you think this is nasty - you were warned" - without coming anywhere near the word.

"Pan's after-shave". Anybody who has read "Jitterbug Perfume" knows exactly what he's saying there! That is the point in the book where Tom Robbins has taken you far, far, far beyond the casual love of perfume.

Luca's rating was 3 bottles - "good" - but not "recommended". Why? Because Slumberhouse is Slumberhouse. Recommendations in a publication are impersonal, and are likely to fall on tender noses. I can just as easily imagine him saying to an abstract musician in person, "You simply MUST try this line."
    At the same time it would be nice to know how he actually feels about the scent. I feel like that whole review was him trying not to recommend something that people may disagree with him about (heaven forbid). I respect Luca, but that particular review came off as a little amateur in my eyes, mostly because he never really said anything about what he thought of the fragrance, moreso that it wasn't your average scent, and not to be shocked if you hate it (translation--don't blame me if you try this/buy this based on what I write and hate it).

At the same time it would be nice to know how he actually feels about the scent. I feel like that whole review was him trying not to recommend something that people may disagree with him about (heaven forbid). I respect Luca, but that particular review came off as a little amateur in my eyes, mostly because he never really said anything about what he thought of the fragrance, moreso that it wasn't your average scent, and not to be shocked if you hate it (translation--don't blame me if you try this/buy this based on what I write and hate it).
    I remain convinced he's never smelled Norne. I remember about 6 months ago reading his description, and seeing it again....it certainly sounds like he has his samples mixed up. Licorice, basalmic tobacco??? That's like if I would describe 4711 as a harsh projecting leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a little confused by the review myself to be honest. Although I don't doubt he's tried the scent. But, "Cachou-like resinous liquorice to a warm, balsamic tobacco." Sounds more like he's reviewing the entire line than Norne itself. Now, the only version of Norne I did try was EdP...but I definitely don't remember liquorice or tobacco...balsamic sure, tobacco? Not to my nose. I don't quite remember the notes, but I did write down a fragrant picture I got when I first tried Norne.

Norne is a trip deep into a dark, damp forest. Tall conifers block all natural light, the forest floor is not visible, but a green hue envelops the space. Sap from the massive ancient trees bleeds down the tattered bark. In a distance the top of a volcanic mountain rains ash onto the forest floor, creating foreign heat on the cool damp ground.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I remain convinced he's never smelled Norne. I remember about 6 months ago reading his description, and seeing it again....it certainly sounds like he has his samples mixed up. Licorice, basalmic tobacco??? That's like if I would describe 4711 as a harsh projecting leather.

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

I'd like to just ask *everybody* to get back to discussing the line and how we feel about it, and stick to that.
    *Thank you*

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I was a little confused by the review myself to be honest. Although I don't doubt he's tried the scent. But, "Cachou-like resinous liquorice to a warm, balsamic tobacco." Sounds more like he's reviewing the entire line than Norne itself. Now, the only version of Norne I did try was EdP...but I definitely don't remember liquorice or tobacco...balsamic sure, tobacco? Not to my nose. I don't quite remember the notes, but I did write down a fragrant picture I got when I first tried Norne.

Norne is a trip deep into a dark, damp forest. Tall conifers block all natural light, the forest floor is not visible, but a green hue envelops the space. Sap from the massive ancient trees bleeds down the tattered bark. In a distance the top of a volcanic mountain rains ash onto the forest floor, creating foreign heat on the cool damp ground.
    Looking at your review/description along side Turin's, one wonders, maybe you should be the celebrated fragrance critic. Having bought his book and browsed his other writings over the years, I feel like someone placed me in the Twilight Zone. You're correct, he could be talking about some kind of mash-up of Vikt, Jeke and God knows what else.

Blog Entries

Looking at your review/description along side Turin's, one wonders, maybe you should be the celebrated fragrance critic. Having bought his book and browsed his other writings over the years, I feel like someone placed me in the Twilight Zone. You're correct, he could be talking about some kind of mash-up of Vikt, Jeke and God knows what else.

I have to agree with everybody - I think he was talking about the generality of the line in many ways. It seems clear to me that he was intentionally sneaking a bit of a house introduction into the first review. He actually does that quite often in the guide - you can sort of spot his "house lead" review that way. That's a fair technique. I almost think that to do otherwise would have been more of a crime. He can only do the first review for a house once. Turin's reviews are almost as much his own history as they are a personal review of the history of fragrance.

Still, I would not jump to the conclusion that his samples are mixed up. Slumberhouse fragrances are among the most complex, cliché-free, and out-of-the-box fragrances out there. They change shape radically depending on the sniffer's olfactory perspective. Josh also holds back on trying to lead the sniffer, so that it's very easy to see his fragrances from behind, so to speak. What's more, Turin frequently does that - sneaks around a fragrance and looks at it from odd angles, as if he were a property evaluator. There are multiple fragrances where his review didn't click with me until years later, when a "new" side of a fragrance became apparent to me.

It's also important to note that he uses fragrances as "education" material, outside of the "education" chapters, and he clearly did that here. Thus, I actually think it's a bit of an honor that he used SH as his example of the [rather sparse] genre that it represents.

Blog Entries

Love this description. This is why we love Slumberhouse. Josh is trying to share that basic experience of seeing the universe not only differently, but very intensely. He can make us see fragrance as a very personal art movie, not "yet another" reprint of the Mona Chypre.

That is perhaps my favorite part of experiencing Josh's fragrances...they are exactly that. Experiences. Norne wasn't my cup of tea personally, but I appreciate the beauty of all Slumberhouse scents and would consider them art. I appreciate the olfactory photos etched into my imagination when sniffing. Shockingly, the only fragrance that didn't give me anything in terms of piquing my imagination and stirring photos in my mind was Zahd. This seems like quite the opposite experience for others.

Norne - A dark, volcanic, conifer forest.
    Rume - Ancient mulled wines turn into distant memories of Christmas as a child.
    Grev - Ferns and vegetation, cold pacific mountain streams meet frigid rocky cliff ledges.
    Baque - Rustic visits to Kentucky Bourbon houses - old blackened wood of the outside meets the new wood of spirit soaked barrels.
    Vikt - Apocalyptic and/or other worldly..almost indescribable.

Love this description. This is why we love Slumberhouse. Josh is trying to share that basic experience of seeing the universe not only differently, but very intensely.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

That is perhaps my favorite part of experiencing Josh's fragrances...they are exactly that. Experiences. Norne wasn't my cup of tea personally, but I appreciate the beauty of all Slumberhouse scents and would consider them art. I appreciate the olfactory photos etched into my imagination when sniffing. Shockingly, the only fragrance that didn't give me anything in terms of piquing my imagination and stirring photos in my mind was Zahd. This seems like quite the opposite experience for others.

Norne - A dark, volcanic, conifer forest.
    Rume - Ancient mulled wines turn into distant memories of Christmas as a child.
    Grev - Ferns and vegetation, cold pacific mountain streams meet frigid rocky cliff ledges.
    Baque - Rustic visits to Kentucky Bourbon houses - old blackened wood of the outside meets the new wood of spirit soaked barrels.
    Vikt - Apocalyptic and/or other worldly..almost indescribable.
    I think I would commit a felony to even get 1 ml of Grev and Baque, especially because they're EDP which I prefer. Hahahaha, I'm joking but still, both of these sound excellent to me. If only I'd gotten in the Slumberhouse game a few months earlier. Sigh

My testing so far leads me to think that Jeke and Ore will make it into my collection. I can't quite get around something in Vikt that feels like a solvent to my nose. It's not like gasoline, but it has a solvent feel along with something like rubber right in the middle that I don't think agrees for me. It may be that it's more of a masculine scent and just doesn't feel like me?? I like the Norne, but not sure I want to smell like Norne. Will need further testing. It definitely smells like a forest, heavily coniferous and deep, dark green. The resins are attractive but somehow feel too strong for me personally. However, more testing may yield entirely different results.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    My testing so far leads me to think that Jeke and Ore will make it into my collection. I can't quite get around something in Vikt that feels like a solvent to my nose. It's not like gasoline, but it has a solvent feel along with something like rubber right in the middle that I don't think agrees for me. It may be that it's more of a masculine scent and just doesn't feel like me?? I like the Norne, but not sure I want to smell like Norne. Will need further testing. It definitely smells like a forest, heavily coniferous and deep, dark green. The resins are attractive but somehow feel too strong for me personally. However, more testing may yield entirely different results.
    I've only one time sampled a small sample of Vikt, but I didn't get the vibe you got. I really wish I did, because I'm a fan of everything you've described. I love the rubber feel to Bvlgari Black and the gasoline feel of Nostalgia for instance. I'm sorry you didn't instantly like Norne more.

Wished he sold more of this

It's messed up that noideawhatimsaying is catching so much flack for his opinion when certain people in this exact thread express themselves similarly when referring to other brands such as Tom Ford or Creed.

Whether one person uses a more articulate vocabulary than another doesn't really change the basic truth that it's just people expressing their opinions for good or bad.

To gang up on the guy and basically try to censor him because he's ruining the slumber house party seems unfair and hypocritical.

How many times will a Creed fan make a post before somebody jumps in to bash the line? It happens all the time.

Slumberhouse shouldn't be exempt, nor protected by "gatekeepers" who wield a little more power around here than the average base noter. It should be open to the same criticism (however crude or inarticulate it may seem) every other brand is.

That's all I have to say on the matter, but I thought it should be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It's messed up that noideawhatimsaying is catching so much flack for his opinion when certain people in this exact thread express themselves similarly when referring to other brands such as Tom Ford or Creed.

Whether one person uses a more articulate vocabulary than another doesn't really change the basic truth that it's just people expressing their opinions for good or bad.

To gang up on the guy and basically try to censor him because he's ruining the slumber house party seems unfair and hypocritical.

How many times will a Creed fan make a post before somebody jumps in to bash the line? It happens all the time.

Slumberhouse shouldn't be exempt, nor protected by "gatekeepers" who wield a little more power around here than the average base noter. It should be open to the same criticism (however crude or inarticulate it may seem) every other brand is.

Thank you very much for your support. I was quite surprised, too, by the hostility directed at me for my opinion. Nothing I said was offensive, it was just against the perceived hive-mind's mentality that Slumberhouse is (seemingly) infallible. Sure, the line is (in my opinion) a more passionate one than most other houses, but I fear he's going to lose his roots of what made his primary four so great.

Don't get me wrong - I love his boldness, but I don't want him to lose touch of wearability because people will eventually stop shelling out money for "different for different's sake" fragrances.

Blog Entries

I agree. That's what we're trying to do.

Let me throw out where the moderation is going on this. Remember the old Guerlain threads? Well, there aren't as many of them, because the Guerlain people spend most of their time on Facebook now (which is something of a hint). But those old Guerlain threads were very pleasant places, where people who cared about the brand could rave or moan, and call things brilliant or trash, and still remain friends, and loyal followers of the brand. I would love to see ALL brand-related threads like that. What we DO NOT want is for the dysfunction that too often visits Creed threads to spread. That is simply not acceptable. The old Guerlain threads had an element of courtesy which we really need to spread to all of Basenotes.

Anyone have any info on what else is in the works besides Minne?
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Valid points - if you / anyone directs the posting as their own reference - like saying "I can't wear it / I find it unwearable" - than sayin "Sova is unwearable" - that's a major difference & I hope you get my point - have the BN explain the underlined from his words - as per who was it "failed" experimentation / Rume being extremely limited in where you can wear it / wearable should be a standard:

Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying And I'm a huge fan of his scents, but it's just unwearable. It's medicinal black licorice, precisely. Anything else that people say about it is blind worship of his scents. I mean, I'll be honest - I definitely love the Slumberhouse lineup, but in reality - Norne and Sova are the ONLY two that work for me. Jeke is absurdly smokey where it's overwhelming, Pear & Olive is interesting but that's about it. Sova was gorgeous, Norne is gorgeous. Ore is an attempt at chocolate that is done much better by other houses. His more "failed" experiments (Flou, Sana, Grev) are just too off the wall for me. Rume is fantastic, but EXTREMELY limited in where you can wear it. Etc, just feel there is a lot of blind worship that CAN make Josh's artistic expression lose focus as it delves into more odd things (eg: Vikt, Zahd, etc - good, but are they PHENOMENAL? I mean, wearable should be a standard).

I have no issue with people here or anywhere saying anything about Slumberhouse or any other house; I'm not the "gatekeeper" nor a blind follower. If something's not up to it, I have told it here & to Josh personally - as I would with any other house, if I had such a chance to write to the parfumeur...There's another thread only about one of SH's parfums being too cloying or something, I've read through that & possibly contributed too - without taking offense or giving...

Voicing one's opinion about one's take on a parfum cannot & should not be generalised which was the reason I replied back to the BN in question...

Blog Entries

Thank you very much for your support. I was quite surprised, too, by the hostility directed at me for my opinion. Nothing I said was offensive, it was just against the perceived hive-mind's mentality that Slumberhouse is (seemingly) infallible. Sure, the line is (in my opinion) a more passionate one than most other houses, but I fear he's going to lose his roots of what made his primary four so great.

Don't get me wrong - I love his boldness, but I don't want him to lose touch of wearability because people will eventually stop shelling out money for "different for different's sake" fragrances.
    I agree that he needs to keep an eye on what might be called general wearability, but by the same token, if he gets too mainstream, he moves into territory that is not authentically his. Right now I think he's in an unfilled niche, and his originality finds a perfect home there.

The fact is, people do tire of lines - it's just natural. I would even agree that people will tire faster of more novel lines - as you put it, "difference for difference sake". I used to be a huge fan of Neil Morris, and I still respect him highly, but my interests have moved away from his stuff for the moment. They may return - we'll have to see. My interests move around quite a bit.

Neil's work tends to be a bit outside the mainstream, and dedicated to olfactory impressions of places, things, and stories. He's a very talented artist, and his work caught the fancy of Chandler Burr. He did one fairly mainstream scent for Takashimaya, and it was very, very good. His work is less challenging than Slumberhouse, but is also very appealing to people who want powerful olfactory impressions, and also to those who miss the gravitas of the classics. I would really recommend him to people who find Slumberhouse interesting but "too much".

Should Slumberhouse try to be more like Neil Morris - meaning different but more mainstream overall? Should Neil Morris try to be more edgy, like Slumberhouse? I would say no to both. These are two different artists, working where they want to work. Artists should be faithful to what they do - whatever that is. If you're a Thomas Kincaid type, and you want to influence millions of happy suburban and agrarian people with pleasant reminders of the values that give them comfort, I say go for it. Likewise, if you're an edgy New York performance artist with a small band of super-techie internet followers, then I say go for that, too. It's all good.

I want diversity in fragrance. I NEED diversity in fragrance. My two favorite "red" fragrances right now are Polo Red and Zahd. Totally different, but both very influencing to me. Polo Red is about a certain calm in the midst of excitement. It's a very comforting scent, which uses things like powder and boozy notes, but at the same time it has a blurring effect which is reminiscent of motion. I love it! "Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." It has the comfort of Polo Double Black, but a subdued energy from it's spicy undercurrent. I think the marketeers and the perfumer (Olivier Gillotin) really came through on the basic idea, which is a very hard thing to manifest in a fragrance that you can sell in Macy's. But I need other things. Zahd is poignant, poetic - a completely different take on red. It's an ode to a color and a texture, with a very emotional feeling around them. Very happy with that one - it's an unexpected pleasure. I am also looking forward to Kerosene's "Red Blanket" at some point - I think that might round out my red trio.

I don't want any of these people to be like the others. Just keep doing what they're doing. Don't change. Just influence and respect each other.

PS - make that "red quartet". People need to smell Neil Morris Earthtones #4: Red Sky. Yowza!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 7th March 2014 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Red Sky added!

Slumberhouse experts, would like your expert knowledge. Grungevig and I are trying to figure out of the Jeke on his sales thread is in fact EdP. Can anyone confirm?

http://www.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=306532

Deadidol's the expert here - but isn't the extrait in the cylindrical bottle?
    Or is that not infallible?
    Last edited by lpp; 7th March 2014 at 09:07 PM.

Slumberhouse Jeke, 1.0 oz/30 ml spray, discontinued square bottle with white writing and silver cap

On the one hand, the description of the bottle and color make me think it is EdP, but then again I thought he used 50ml bottles before he transformed to extrait formulations. To refresh anyone's mind, I'm the weirdo who prefers more projection in sacrifice of the longevity that extrait gives hahahaha. Can anyone speak to the projection of Jeke in the bottle Grungevig describes?

Basenotes Plus

I'm 90% certain that's the EdP

Yes, I believe it is EdP. Extraits didn't come until later on, in the cylindrical bottles as lpp points out. At least this is my understanding. The move to extraits happened only a little over a year ago I believe...I bought one of the last Rume Extrait bottles on 2/21/13 for reference.

Slumberhouse experts, would like your expert knowledge. Grungevig and I are trying to figure out of the Jeke on his sales thread is in fact EdP. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by rynegne; 7th March 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Slumberhouse Jeke, 1.0 oz/30 ml spray, discontinued square bottle with white writing and silver cap
    That would be the EDP. He didn't begin making extrait concentrations until he got into the etched cylinder bottles ... and I believe even the early versions of those bottles were sometimes EDP before everything switched over.

Definitely the EDP.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I love this description of it! Honestly, I've had a hard time with this one -- I really get something too vegetal from it. It's largely vetiver and violet leaf, but as always, the materials are unorthodox and it's spun away from what we normally understand violet to be. My own concern is that there are several scents from the line that I really didn't enjoy at first (although I could appreciate them), but came to love them later.
    I'm test driving Mare today, sample courtesy of the 'house. Buysblind's description is indeed a good one. It does have a certain watery aspect, along with all of the green vegetation. Does anyone have a complete notes/components list? What is the spice featured prominently, is it clove?

Anyway, I am quite enjoying the fragrance. Seems like a perfect fit for a sunny early spring (almost) day! I dabbed, btw, did not spray, went with a very small application, as I do with Norne.

I'm test driving Mare today, sample courtesy of the 'house. Buysblind's description is indeed a good one. It does have a certain watery aspect, along with all of the green vegetation. Does anyone have a complete notes/components list? What is the spice featured prominently, is it clove? Anyway, I am quite enjoying the fragrance. Seems like a perfect fit for a sunny early spring (almost) day! I dabbed, btw, did not spray, went with a very small application, as I do with Norne.
    I've heard dill being a player - told so by someone I gave a sample to...

I've heard dill being a player - told so by someone I gave a sample to...
    Yes, I get that. Not sure I would have picked it out if I hadn't read it here first, but yes, I think I get that too.

6 hours into the wearing, I'm picking up wood now, and a bit of tobacco leaf too; hadn't expected that.

took a very long time for the woody-vetiver aspect to come up for me as well - however, all i got was compliments from around me - starting from my family in the house & then co-workers at work; it hasn't clicked for me though - personally...The green vegetal start is something I'm unable to get off...

Funny, I tried a sample of Mare this morning. I'm under the weather, so it was a bad idea, but I couldn't hack it. I will try it again when I'm feeling better.

On a bright note, I've now joined all of you, having been able to purchase my first SH bottles today from the Marketplace. Hot Dog! Sova and Jeke will be heading my way this week! I have James1051 and Genie Jeanie to thank for giving me a very quick heads up!

Well done, danieq - Mare took me three goes to love, but it's a real treat now

Pic of 'Mare soaked orris butter' stolen from the Twitter page .
    Last edited by lpp; 9th March 2014 at 10:19 PM.

I just picked up a 40-50% bottle of Norne and a 80-90% bottle of Vikt (testers for sale in a store) for 122$, how did I do? Trying to upload pictures, not working for me. Very happy to have picked these up, especially since Vikt is discontinued... for now.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Well done, rouj!
    I think that if you like a current formulation - jump.
    But that's my current modus operandi anyway, regardless of line.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Well done, rouj!
    Thanks! First time buying used, try not to but seems like a great deal. A near full discontinued scent and half of another that I love.

And yes, buy while it's available!
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Basenotes Institution

Funny, I tried a sample of Mare this morning. I'm under the weather, so it was a bad idea, but I couldn't hack it. I will try it again when I'm feeling better.

On a bright note, I've now joined all of you, having been able to purchase my first SH bottles today from the Marketplace. Hot Dog! Sova and Jeke will be heading my way this week! I have James1051 and Genie Jeanie to thank for giving me a very quick heads up!
    Congratulations danieq on the new bottles of Sova & Jeke!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks Mike. I have had to pinch myself a few times, didn't think it was going to happen!

Blog Entries

I'm test driving Mare today, sample courtesy of the 'house. Buysblind's description is indeed a good one. It does have a certain watery aspect, along with all of the green vegetation. Does anyone have a complete notes/components list? What is the spice featured prominently, is it clove?

Anyway, I am quite enjoying the fragrance. Seems like a perfect fit for a sunny early spring (almost) day! I dabbed, btw, did not spray, went with a very small application, as I do with Norne.
    Yes, I get that. Not sure I would have picked it out if I hadn't read it here first, but yes, I think I get that too.

6 hours into the wearing, I'm picking up wood now, and a bit of tobacco leaf too; hadn't expected that.
    took a very long time for the woody-vetiver aspect to come up for me as well - however, all i got was compliments from around me - starting from my family in the house & then co-workers at work; it hasn't clicked for me though - personally...The green vegetal start is something I'm unable to get off...
    I'm trying Mare right now, and I would have to say "all of the above". The part I like is the clove / tobacco / wood / vetiver / whatever - the part that smells like you just opened an old cedar chest with a bunch of papers in it, or an old trunk with a cloved apple. To me the watery aspects give it a kind of tenuous humidity and ambient dampness of the air - not too much, not too little. It's the way that you open an old trunk or a drawer in an old wooden desk and you inhale, hoping it's dry and hoping it smells good. There is an aged quality which perhaps comes from humid vanilla (aging paper) or tobacco leaf (aging leaves, but spicy). The kitchen in an old farmhouse - a tack room with fresh hay outside - it's the smell of a Hubert Shuptrine painting:

Very impressive. My wife doesn't like this - it's too out-of-the-box as a fragrance for her, culturally. But for me it's a real wow. Americana in a bottle. There is some coffee shop somewhere in the world that smells like Mare, and I would love to find it.

badarun - if the green stuff is overwhelming the woodier, "brown" stuff, try wearing it on clothing or a hanky instead of your skin. Your skin may be shifting the overall fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    I just picked up a 40-50% bottle of Norne and a 80-90% bottle of Vikt (testers for sale in a store) for 122$, how did I do? Trying to upload pictures, not working for me. Very happy to have picked these up, especially since Vikt is discontinued... for now.

On a bright note, I've now joined all of you, having been able to purchase my first SH bottles today from the Marketplace. Hot Dog! Sova and Jeke will be heading my way this week!
    Wow, you both scored big! 4 outstanding fragrances. congrats!

I'm trying Mare right now, and I would have to say "all of the above". The part I like is the clove / tobacco / wood / vetiver / whatever - the part that smells like you just opened an old cedar chest with a bunch of papers in it, or an old trunk with a cloved apple. To me the watery aspects give it a kind of tenuous humidity and ambient dampness of the air - not too much, not too little. It's the way that you open an old trunk or a drawer in an old wooden desk and you inhale, hoping it's dry and hoping it smells good. There is an aged quality which perhaps comes from humid vanilla (aging paper) or tobacco leaf (aging leaves, but spicy). The kitchen in an old farmhouse - a tack room with fresh hay outside - it's the smell of a Hubert Shuptrine painting:

Very impressive. My wife doesn't like this - it's too out-of-the-box as a fragrance for her, culturally. But for me it's a real wow. Americana in a bottle. There is some coffee shop somewhere in the world that smells like Mare, and I would love to find it.

badarun - if the green stuff is overwhelming the woodier, "brown" stuff, try wearing it on clothing or a hanky instead of your skin. Your skin may be shifting the overall fragrance.
    Very well described.

As a post script, when I got up this morning, Mare was still projecting that wood-vet-clove combo. 24 hours off a couple dabs. I completely enjoyed it, but don't think I would apply much more at any given time.

I never spray on clothing

Blog Entries

I never spray on clothing
    Zahd is incredibly tenacious on clothing. My shirt with Zahd on the cuff just came out of the wash today, and it was still strong!

Clothing is a bit of a trick, but it can really help fragrances work as intended. Between paper, cloth and skin, I can almost make any fragrance work for me. When I use clothing, I tend to do it for things that evaporate fairly easily, and that I know won't stain. I enjoy winter because I can spray gloves, too, and most of mine are black, so no stains possible. I used an older shirt for Zahd, because it started out as a sample-decanting accident on the cuff.

You can always buy some cheap handkerchiefs and scent them, then wear them in your pocket. Or even just use nice fragrance blotters. I've used those, too. When I spray clothing, I tend to mist the outside, although it can also be inside the belt, under the collar, back of the tie, inside the jacket - they all work.

Excellent longevity, great tenacity, and beautiful fragrance that never goes strange. It's really worth trying. DULLAH got me started doing it on Windsor, so I could smell the rose, and I've never looked back.