Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Zahd is incredibly tenacious on clothing.
    I will try it once in the upcoming summer on my clothing...Let's see how it goes.

Has Josh ever commented on what his favorite release?

I haven't heard it, but being a creative type myself, I'd guess his favorite to be the most recent creation. But that is just a guess.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Has Josh ever commented on what his favorite release?
    Seems like I read an interview where he said it was Norne. He said it is the fragrance he always wanted to make.

Has anyone got any info on when the SH shop online will be re-opening?
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Basenotes Plus

I am wearing Baque for the first time today. My first impression was that it's somewhere between Sova and Rume. It has that honeyed tobaccoconutty feel of Sova with the thicker molassess-like dry fruit sweetness of Rume. There is a very distinct vanilla bean and ambergris tandem that becomes prominent as the fragrance dries down. I sense an almost roasted effect on the vanilla bean on my skin. I've really enjoyed wearing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I never spray on clothing
    Me neither. I figure if my skin does something bad to a fragrance, I shouldn't be wearing it, because it's fundamentally not working with my natural chemistry.

This winter brought out a new love of my Rume tester. Just ordered a decant of it, because I decided I had to have it. But I'm dying to know what totally new and different stuff Josh is planning.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I am wearing Baque for the first time today. My first impression was that it's somewhere between Sova and Rume. It has that honeyed tobaccoconutty feel of Sova with the thicker molassess-like dry fruit sweetness of Rume. There is a very distinct vanilla bean and ambergris tandem that becomes prominent as the fragrance dries down. I sense an almost roasted effect on the vanilla bean on my skin. I've really enjoyed wearing this one.
    I look forward to trying both of those someday. I hope they both worked their way into the company's regular lineup.

*both of these being Bacque and Rume
    Last edited by james1051; 20th March 2014 at 11:34 PM.

Everytime I read about Baque I think I'd really love it. I may have to see if I can find it at one of the decant places. It's not one I've looked for, but it sounds delicious. Did Josh do a strong Tobacco-centric scent ever?

Jeke is very heavy on tobacco.

Is it? Well that might explain why I like it. I haven't yet familiarized myself with all the notes. Well, the truth is, I'm terrible at figuring out what notes I smell. I have a tendency to describe them more with pictures and emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Is it? Well that might explain why I like it. I haven't yet familiarized myself with all the notes. Well, the truth is, I'm terrible at figuring out what notes I smell. I have a tendency to describe them more with pictures and emotions.
    The tobacco in Jeke is wrapped in a smoky campfire blanket, but its there. Understand that tabac, and a whisky boozy note, are featured in Bacque. but have never tried the latter.

I'm trying to get my hands on Baque and Rume right now. I'll let you know how it goes, and if I do, what I find out. I went looking and neither of them is available in the usual places. I like the sounds of Tabac and booze! I'm actually sampling one right now from Sonoma Scent Studio called Tabac Aurea which I'd describe exactly that way, but add a bit of ash tray to the mix as well.

Ha! Successful in my efforts so small decant of Baque and Rome are on the way! I guess I got very lucky!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Ha! Successful in my efforts so small decant of Baque and Rome are on the way! I guess I got very lucky!

Good job! And fast, too!

Congrats danieq. Definitely spend a little time with Rume, specifically...it's difficult for some but I find it beautiful. Baque is definitely more straight forward, very pungent but good. I really wish Baque was released in an extrait as it would be a little less loud. Trust me a little amount will work for both of these and last all day.

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

I sampled my first Slumberhouse this week, Norne, on my quest for a forest scent. It was amazing! Green, smoky fir trees on a cold day. I compared it to Fille en Aiguilles (which I sampled at the same time) and I liked Norne better. It was less sweet and warm, and more realistic. Much closer to what I was looking for. My interest is definitely piqued in Slumberhouse now. I'd love to try some more so I'll be reading this thread for suggestions.

(edit: Wait, nope not my first Slumberhouse, I've tried Zahd as well. It's lovely and complex but I need to spend more time with it to parse it out fully)
    Last edited by peppermoon; 21st March 2014 at 05:47 PM.

Basenotes Plus

There's a nice tobacco note in Sova as well.

Good job! And fast, too!
    Thanks. I was surprised at how well that all went. It's a first in my efforts at obtaining discontinued SH scents thus far. I guess it was time for an easy one.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Congrats danieq. Definitely spend a little time with Rume, specifically...it's difficult for some but I find it beautiful. Baque is definitely more straight forward, very pungent but good. I really wish Baque was released in an extrait as it would be a little less loud. Trust me a little amount will work for both of these and last all day.
    I'm glad to hear that a little goes a long way as that is all I'll be getting!

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    There's a nice tobacco note in Sova as well.
    Once again, things are getting explained! Sova is my new love. Such a beauty!

How do people wear Norne? I've added it to my collection, having worn it on my wrist prior to purchase and fell in love. Now, first time I wore it out of the bottle, I sprayed both sides of my neck and wearing a black shirt, being conscious of it staining. Did not expect my neck to turn green and sticky! So what's the best way that you've found?
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    How do people wear Norne? I've added it to my collection, having worn it on my wrist prior to purchase and fell in love. Now, first time I wore it out of the bottle, I sprayed both sides of my neck and wearing a black shirt, being conscious of it staining. Did not expect my neck to turn green and sticky! So what's the best way that you've found?
    I always wear an under shirt - also, i wear most Slumberhouse's under clothing only. I spray 1 chest, 1 upper back / slightly below the back of your neck, 1/2 sprays on elbow folds. Has worked well for me so far...

I don't have Norne but here are a couple of idea, apply before clothing. Second, try applying a half spray instead of a whole. It's so potent that you don't need much. I know some people balk at this idea, but with a more concentrated parfum, I often rub it into the skin a bit so it's not just sitting on top in one little spot.

Hey - Slumberhouse no longer has a list of their scents nor do they have an online store anymore - anyone know what's up?

I bought Vikt from their site on black friday or whichever day it is that they have their 33% off sale... and visited a few times since then, but just looked today and the store and scents are gone!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Hey - Slumberhouse no longer has a list of their scents nor do they have an online store anymore - anyone know what's up?

I bought Vikt from their site on black friday or whichever day it is that they have their 33% off sale... and visited a few times since then, but just looked today and the store and scents are gone!
    I think the URL changed. It used to be a http://slumberhou.se and now it's a .com

http://www.slumberhouse.com/
    Last edited by socalwoman; 23rd March 2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I think the URL changed. It used to be a .de or .se and now it's a .com

http://www.slumberhouse.com/
    Yeah, the website is still up, but on the website there's no more store and no more list of scents
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Yeah, the website is still up, but on the website there's no more store and no more list of scents
    The answers are all in this thread. The online store was temporarily taken down as Josh switches his current lineup of scents to the new bottles.

I just had a note from Parfum1 that the new bottles are not expected until June. drat! Not sure what that means for the 'house online store, but to the extent the store and the new packaging are dependent….

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Norne is so thick, rich, and so Green, I have been dabbing. One schmeer lasts two days! (I love this stuff) And I put it on the back of my hand, to keep it off clothing. YOu could do the same at the nape of your neck, unless you wear a necktie (I do, so that's out).

I spray these inside the wrist & wipe them against each other - but I don't have issues with shirts & my clothes don't tend to have full length sleeves

Vikt is still available at Parfum1 for anybody interested. Use the 20% off code and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I always wear an under shirt - also, i wear most Slumberhouse's under clothing only. I spray 1 chest, 1 upper back / slightly below the back of your neck, 1/2 sprays on elbow folds. Has worked well for me so far...
    I don't have Norne but here are a couple of idea, apply before clothing. Second, try applying a half spray instead of a whole. It's so potent that you don't need much. I know some people balk at this idea, but with a more concentrated parfum, I often rub it into the skin a bit so it's not just sitting on top in one little spot.
    Thanks danieq! I will try rubbing it in, see if that lessons the stickiness. Nornes is the only one of his that does this, but man is it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Norne is so thick, rich, and so Green, I have been dabbing. One schmeer lasts two days! (I love this stuff) And I put it on the back of my hand, to keep it off clothing. YOu could do the same at the nape of your neck, unless you wear a necktie (I do, so that's out).
    I do, wear a suit and tie during the week, so Norne is only for me in the evening and weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I spray these inside the wrist & wipe them against each other - but I don't have issues with shirts & my clothes don't tend to have full length sleeves
    Thank you for your responses. I like Badaruns application. No one will notice my green neck. I find 1 spray is definitely not enough, I prefer 2 to 3. My skin eats up every scent, Slumberhouse very quickly becomes a faint skin scent on me, even my absolute favorite Jeke. I check with those I live with regularly (I'm sure it is getting annoying actually) if they can smell the scent I'm wearing repeatedly over several hours when I start a new fragrance, to gauge if it's just olfactory fatigue, projection and longevity. Little projects or lasts on me.
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

For what it's worth, Josh has actually recommended "rubbing in" Norne (as well as other scents) to avoid the stickiness upon spraying.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    For what it's worth, Josh has actually recommended "rubbing in" Norne (as well as other scents) to avoid the stickiness upon spraying.
    He does? Interesting, going to try that
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

I just had a note from Parfum1 that the new bottles are not expected until June. drat! Not sure what that means for the 'house online store, but to the extent the store and the new packaging are dependent….

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Vikt is still available at Parfum1 for anybody interested. Use the 20% off code and you're good to go.
    I'll give you all a quick update:

As mentioned somewhere in this thread, the official bottles will be slightly different from the Zahd bottle in that the Slumberhouse logo on the cap will be engraved rather than embossed (and the serif font will return). The design was a bit of an engineering challenge and took quite a bit of work, so there will be a little bit of a wait until the final switchover is complete. Until then, you can order through the various distributors and there'll also be a small amount of the marble bottles coming back to take care of any new orders. The webstore was taken down temporarily to allow for the switchover, but because of the delay for the new design, it'll probably be back up soon with a few things listed, including:

Another cask of Vikt will be available in limited supply (under 100 bottles), so for those of you who missed out, you'll have another opportunity to pick some up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Another cask of Vikt will be available in limited supply (under 100 bottles), so for those of you who missed out, you'll have another opportunity to pick some up.
    Give me Vikt in 5 words or less, people! I need to crash now, but will check the answers in the morning!!!

PS - if you want to go over 5, it must follow the regular rules for haiku!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 24th March 2014 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Haiku option added!

Thanks for the update Deadidol. I think I'll wait on my Ore purchase until those gorgeous new bottles are ready!

Give me Vikt in 5 words or less, people!
    Opulent, accessible, oud / licorice combo.

Blog Entries

Opulent, accessible, oud / licorice combo.
    Fascinating. I'll work on my sample with that in mind!!! Gracias!

Give me Vikt in 5 words or less, people! I need to crash now, but will check the answers in the morning!!!

incense anise woods smooth

I'll give you all a quick update:

As mentioned somewhere in this thread, the official bottles will be slightly different from the Zahd bottle in that the Slumberhouse logo on the cap will be engraved rather than embossed (and the serif font will return). The design was a bit of an engineering challenge and took quite a bit of work, so there will be a little bit of a wait until the final switchover is complete. Until then, you can order through the various distributors and there'll also be a small amount of the marble bottles coming back to take care of any new orders. The webstore was taken down temporarily to allow for the switchover, but because of the delay for the new design, it'll probably be back up soon with a few things listed, including:

Hoping those few things include Mare.....

Licorice to start,
    Seriously amazing,
    Incense rounds it out.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Institution

I tested Mare this morning and my skin on my arms had a bad allergic reaction to it. Maybe it's the clove? In any event I had to wash it off my arms, they were red and burning. Won't be sampling that one again.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

Vikt = black aged licorice sweet wood

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    is Parfum1 selling the Extrait? Or the old EdP?

I see that Twisted Lily is still selling Vikt Parfum.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    is Parfum1 selling the Extrait? Or the old EdP?

It's the extrait. I got my bottle from them and couldn't be happier.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    It's the extrait. I got my bottle from them and couldn't be happier.
    Good to know ((tempted))

-- Jack Kerouac

Good to know ((tempted))
    Do it. Do it. Doooo ittttttt. Everyone here convinced me to buy it and I am very happy, so here I am convincing you. Do it.

Yup, P1 has the extrait. They are expecting more Ore and Jeke extrait in the marble bottles in a few days.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Do it. Do it. Doooo ittttttt. Everyone here convinced me to buy it and I am very happy, so here I am convincing you. Do it.
    ((giggle))

-- Jack Kerouac

I believe I may have gotten the last Vikt from Twisted lily
    Current favorites:
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse

This may not be the most popular post here, but is anyone else completely underwhelmed by Slumberhouse? I bought into the hype because with so much written about this house, I would've bet my life this was a clear winner cut from the mold of Amouage, Malle, or Lutens, etc.... Not even in the same ballpark in my opinion. Instead I'm left NEVER grabbing for anything of his in my collection. Pear & Olive is the only scent even remotely worth while. Even that ends up giving me a weird vibe eventually. When I wear PoaL, Interlude, or a Roja, there is just no comparison. Heck, I'd rather wear Mugler than Slumberhouse. I have over 450 frags I would choose before SH. Josh is an amazing, generous human being, but his creations are unwearable, sticky, cloying, staining, and extremely uncomfortable. It's one thing to be different, but it's another thing to be unique. I find Slumberhouse interesting and different, but not unique.

I tire of them quickly. I hope he keeps making them, though. They're a lot more inspiring than the average Creed. With the help of a master perfumer a few of them could be very good.

-- Edit: The next post by danieq must have been meant for Indagnacious.
    Last edited by pluran; 25th March 2014 at 03:29 AM.

I wonder what made you purchase them for your wardrobe then? Did you blind buy. In general, blind buying doesn't seem workable with SH as they are certainly unusual and not to typical taste.

I agree that at least there is an enjoyable creativity there compared to Creed for example, but that still doesn't make me want to actually wear his scents. Creeds are mostly generic, but at least I feel there is a continuity that fits with a natural perfume making progression. I love different almost weird vibes and Pear & Olive was what I started with....found a partial bottle for a good price. Norne and Jeke just sounded like complete winners from what I read. I still keep a decant on hand but got rid of the bottles. Also sampled quite a few others and they are really uncomfortable as well. I think it's great others enjoy what Josh is doing, and he shouldn't stop doing things his own way. My point is there is a difference between an uncomfortable Byredo for example and an uncomfortable SH. I would still gravitate to the Byredo because even though I don't like it, there seems to be a perfumer code there that keeps the fragrance in tact. It's just a feeling, it has nothing to do with right or wrong.

I think I see what you mean. I find a few unwearable personally as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is certainly a house that is outside of the proverbial box.

It really is just a different aesthetic, Indagnacious. I'm a fan of a few of the lines you mention as well, but I don't even consider them to be in the same ballpark—neither better nor worse, just totally different approaches, goals, and intentions. Slumberhouse scents are often uncomfortable and difficult for sure whereas slipping into an Amouage or a Malle is generally fairly effortless, but there's also strong emphasis on art over utility at work within Slumberhouse. He doesn't need to move tens of thousands of bottles, and aside from putting food on the table, he doesn't have to respond to trends or audience in anyway—it's purely an artistic endeavor, but one that a small group of fragrance fans have gravitated to. I work in the arts, and pedestrian, saccharine, predictable, commercially produced art doesn't go far and certainly doesn't do anything for me personally. I'm unapologetic about my viewing of this particular line as 100% artistic with almost no utilitarian worth. But like all good art, it's often difficult, challenging, and will stir up strong emotions like nothing else out there. They're not for everyone, in fact, I'd argue that they're for very few—but those who love the scents tend to have very personal reasons as to why they love them. For me, scents like Baque, Zahd, Grev, Sova etc. are totally original and really don't have anything that comes close to what they accomplish. Other scents like Ore and Norne take concepts that have been done and rework them in more striking ways.

Another line that is really just creating art is O'Driú. His work is similarly challenging, but it's also difficult to track down as it's often part of a performance piece of some kind.
    Last edited by deadidol; 25th March 2014 at 04:18 AM.

Agree, D.I. - whilst enjoying, owning & wearing 'traditional' fragrances from many Houses, Slumberhouse & O'Driu are two that (to me) have an extra and more rewarding dimension which I'm more than happy to support and pursue.
    Whilst some are more favoured than others, each provides a different experience - and often a very interesting diversion.
    Last edited by lpp; 25th March 2014 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    This may not be the most popular post here, but is anyone else completely underwhelmed by Slumberhouse? I bought into the hype because with so much written about this house,
    'Not for Me.' I get that, I view lots of scents that way. But not SH. I wore SH all weekend, and have been wearing one to work, so obviously I take a different view of wearability.

Anyway, how heavily did you buy in? How many did you buy before you decided you they were't for you?
    Last edited by lpp; 25th March 2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: upon further review (+lpp - soliciting)

I would add, while I haven't tried them all, I've only found one SH scent I didn't care for. All of them take risks, to a certain extent, so I wouldn't expect anyone to be crazy about all of them. Not sure the perfumer would, either.

'Not for Me.' I get that, I view lots of scents that way. But not SH. I wore SH all weekend, and have been wearing one to work, so obviously I take a different view of wearability.

Anyway, how heavily did you buy in? How many did you buy before you decided you they were't for you?
    I bought P&O and liked it. Then I bought partials bottles of Norne and Jeke and decants of Sova, Ore and Vikt. After Ore I knew it wasn't for me in that I wouldn't be grabbing for any of them very often. I mean if Ore was the holy grail or close to that, I'll stick with my Borneo 1834 any day. Same goes for Norne. Give me Fille En Aiguille instead. I sold everything and kept small decants. I must say, I made a nice profit on Ore before it was re-released, so that is one good thing.