Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Scent of the Day Feature

Some members post that they have worn the same scent 20+ times a day only to see they're favorite scent seen in the most worn category..
    The Huddler way was much better in which you can only wear one particular scent once a day.. I won't mention names but I would like to see what people are really wearing.. it sometimes reminds me of a scent that I have not worn in a while..

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scent of the Day

I did like Huddler's "minding" to make sure I only post it once. I tend to wear a scent for a few days, so the Huddler SOTD would occasionally catch me accidentally entering a scent twice in the same day.

The main thing I liked about the Huddler SOTD was being able to search a scent right there and add it directly. That saved me having to leave the page and search in the directory.

Basenotes Plus

Good point, Tony, although some members don't log in every day so a few may be posting 'catch ups'.

A lot of members will also wear several different products in a day - after showering, before going out for the evening, etc.

Red - we can do it faster via our Wardrobe - click on the product & you're taken to the product page with the SOTD posting bit.

I, in my naivety, thought that people wear a certain fragrance but they don't visit the site for this or that reason, thus they "pump" the wears of recent days, weeks or even months. But hey, I'd not exclude the part you mention.

I do that kind of thing, for instance if I tested a frag a month ago but it's not here in the directory, I'll post it in a scent of the day month later when it is - but I'll also type the date and reason for instance "02.11.2013. test wear".

The thing is, it never occurred to me that someone might be posting that he/she wears a frag for 10-20 times just so that the numbers of wearings of particular frag/frags might grow.

Basenotes Plus

It hadn't occurred to me either, Zgb - it is another one for the 'glitch' list!

Thanks for the thread, Tony!

Blog Entries

l really can't believe anyone would post for that reason. l often post "catch-ups" if l've been away for a while, & l would resent the ability to do so being taken away.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I can't post my SOTD today I am getting an error message.
    Oh and its saying I haven't worn Chergui(my SOTD) since 2011!!!
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

It has been posted, Donna255 - the error message is a known issue that doesn't prevent the post appearing.

The stats are not currently up to date due to the missing data.

Should be sorted out soon!

Blog Entries

l think that error message may be another reason why people are posting multiple times, because they think it hasn't worked.

lf you get an error message, click on Scent of the Day on the green bar at the top of the main page, & you'll find that your SOTD has posted correctly.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I can confirm that we are aware that the error message is appearing occasionally - ignore it, your SOTD should appear regardless.

There are no plans to prevent people from posting their SOTD more than once, especially as we appreciate that some members are still playing 'catch up'.

As for the odd discrepancy with dates, it is as stated above an issue to do with the 'Huddler gap'. Once the Huddler SOTD data has been restored that should no longer happen.

-
    This post was made as an issue

Does anyone know if the ability to post SOTD to Facebook might return? My best guess is that it will not, since the ability to post to Twitter is already there, and if that's there, why wouldn't Facebook also be functional.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Does anyone know if the ability to post SOTD to Facebook might return? My best guess is that it will not, since the ability to post to Twitter is already there, and if that's there, why wouldn't Facebook also be functional.
    It's on the list, but it's a bit more fiddly than sharing to twitter -- It's on my list of things to look at when we get properly settled!

Thank you Grant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I inadvertently posted my SOTD twice today. I got an error message, and although I knew better that to post it again, a couple minutes later I experimented with reloading the error page. What I find interesting is the posting times. It looks like I reposted seconds later, but I actually reloaded the error page at least 2-3 minutes later.

Basenotes Plus

The Scent of the Day function is not working, it did this morning but this afternoon it will not post the scent. I tried 5 different times to add Nirmala by Molinard and it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    The Scent of the Day function is not working, it did this morning but this afternoon it will not post the scent. I tried 5 different times to add Nirmala by Molinard and it won't work.
    Kiliwia, I can confirm it's not working for me either. There was a brief shut down of the site this afternoon, it seems some things started to go wonky after that...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

The button for "wear now" is not available.

Basenotes Plus

Please see Grant's announcement here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/371...63#post2995863

Basenotes Plus

Thank you Furrypine, Blue_Eyez and lpp, I will wait until tomorrow to enter my sotd's.

Sara Jessica Parker Pure Bloom

Basenotes Plus

Hi all!
    Please either post SOTD's in the relevant threads in MFD & FFD or wait until the SOTD feature fully returns later if that's the one normally used.
    Thanks & apologies for any inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scent of the Day Feature

Just wanted to say thanks for a great new feature; l've just noticed that when l click on my previous scents worn, it now shows the date each one was posted. Really pleased with this as it helps nerds like me to keep our stats up to date. Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

Agree, teardrop - it all seems to be working now!

Blog Entries

I ran across a broken link- Royal water-Creed when I tried to post it as 'Scent of the Day'

Basenotes Plus

Seems O.K. now, kumquat.
    Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 18.15.56.jpg

Blog Entries

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Another broken link- scent of the day for Serge Lutens- Bois Oriental

Basenotes Plus

It's fine, kumquat - yours posted there.

Blog Entries

Ok, thanks!

Basenotes Plus

It throws up an error message occasionally, kumquat, but they normally post anyway!

Is it possible to add Dirty and Breath of God by Gorilla Perfumes (Lush)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Is it possible to add Dirty and Breath of God by Gorilla Perfumes (Lush)?
    These are both in the directory, under the brand name B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful; a former name for the perfumery side of Lush.

I've just started using this feature. I'm wondering, what is the reason for some members posting multiple times in the sotd area? For example, today, one member has posted his sotd 16 times. There are a few others who do this too. It messes up the totals. I can understand a double post (for which there is a delete option), but I can't understand why you would post 16 times. There should be measures in place to prevent that.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 21st January 2014 at 02:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Yes, we talked about this in another thread. It seems that some people want to write down everything they've ever worn. It's really wacky. I don't get it. To what purpose?

I saw someone posting on it dozens of times a day and thought it was messing things up. But then it occurred to me that they could have been catching up on what they'd worn during the Huddler era. Later, when whatever catch-up should have already happened, I figured some folks might be testing several things or layering scents together. Beyond that, some people may have no other power in their lives and want to screw with the stats here, just because they can.

Blog Entries

Many of them are listing the same scent multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    some people may have no other power in their lives and want to screw with the stats here, just because they can.
    I think this is the case. Perhaps some people miss a few days, so they post 3 at once, but the top male frag right now, seems to be a result of one person voting for it 250 times. I've never even heard of it.

Blog Entries

I like using this feature for my own purposes, as a diary. As an overall device for a gauge of what's popular, SOTD is non-functional.

Maybe a moderator could simply ask directly what is going on and take it from there. It's possible that at some point, some of the entries can be removed by an admin. if they think doing so would make things more accurate.

Blog Entries

Maybe a moderator could simply ask directly what is going on and take it from there. It's possible that at some point, some of the entries can be removed by an admin. if they think doing so would make things more accurate.
    I'm kind of neutral on the whole thing, so if people give me the names of the users who are doing this the most, I'll query them gently to find out why. I think it's useful for Grant to know, at the very least, why people are seeing the need to do this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I like using this feature for my own purposes, as a diary. As an overall device for a gauge of what's popular, SOTD is non-functional.
    l agree.

Blog Entries

Wow! One user (not to be named) who has done this, can actually crash the page if you try to go for their tally!!!

Don't click on the link!

http://www.basenotes.net/bn_todaysscent.php?u=37765

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/basenot2/public_html/bn_todaysscent.php on line 320

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/basenot2/public_html/bn_todaysscent.php on line 321

LOL

We should be adding a backdating option soonish - so that should cut down on some of the bulk posting for a particular day.

We're also considering a system whereby on the main display it will only show the most recent worn by a member in the last 24 hours.

(And thanks, RP - you can send any issues with this to me rather than Grant for now.)

Not sure I can reproduce how it happened, but a couple of times I've noticed multiple entries showed up when I was trying to post my scent of the day. I had to go back and remove them. Not sure I always noticed, tho. I might have been selecting the scent from my wardrobe, then clicking to post as scent of the day, then re-clicking when the page didn't change, thinking the entry didn't take.

IOW, maybe not all the multiples are intentional.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 22nd January 2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: clarify

Are wears during Huddler era going to be integrated with this site or it's gone? Reviews are back at least, that's commendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's on the list, but it's a bit more fiddly than sharing to twitter -- It's on my list of things to look at when we get properly settled!
    Hi Grant, would you possibly be able to render a guess on when this feature might return? I hate to sound pesty, but it has been 4 months since I last inquired. Thanks in advance!

It would be nice to have a way to post unlisted fragrances to SOTD.

Blog Entries

Nice idea.

That would actually be an amazing way to data-mine new scents. If the scent doesn't match in the database, it just appears without a bottle icon and goes to a list, possibly with the results of a web search. So people could input new fragrances and record their wears of them at the same time. Later, when the name matched, after being added to the database, it would appear with the correct bottle icon, and the wears would update with all the past ones of that user that matched. Non-matching fragrances could still be kept out of the currently displayed totals, so nothing would have to be changed there.

An advantage of this method would be that it would restrict user-submitted fragrances to the ones people were actually wearing, thus reducing workload to the ones that BNers are most concerned about. What better criterion could there be?

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Hi Grant, would you possibly be able to render a guess on when this feature might return? I hate to sound pesty, but it has been 4 months since I last inquired. Thanks in advance!
    Sorry for the delay, it's still on my todo list but unfortunately other things keep pushing it down. How about I give it an hour of my time tomorrow and see how much I can get done!

Sent from my iPhone using Basenotes Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Sorry for the delay, it's still on my todo list but unfortunately other things keep pushing it down. How about I give it an hour of my time tomorrow and see how much I can get done!

Sounds fantastic! All you do is really appreciated, I know your plate is heavy Grant. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's on the list of SOTD todo's as well as things like changing the dates. (Hopefully sooner rather than later..)

G

"fcasimiro is wearing ZegnaIntenso by Ermenegildo Zegna
    33 minutes ago. Show all worn by fcasimiro
    Not wearing this scent but sample testing Zegna Haitian Vetiver (not in directory of fragrances here)."

I will use member fcasimiro problem to address it here. I do agree that the member could have added it to the directory as this option is open to everyone. I myself added a few, BUT, until they are added, we should be able to have an option on SOTD function to use some sort of a "Blank wear". I think that would be quite a neat option.

Ok, pardon me, I see this is already under development, or better yet, consideration. Apologies, hasty me .

I know that the SOTD feature is a bit of fun only, but I do use it to track my wears and find it useful. One thing I don't understand is how SOTD does it's totals. If I look at "Your most worn (in the last month)" I see that I have recorded GHLEB 20 times - which is right as I've worn it every day for work. If I look at "Popular with the Boys (in the last month)" the fiftieth item has been worn 14 times. I have seen others record GHLEB so total wears in the month must exceed 30 yet it doesn't appear anywhere in the PwtB top fifty. How can this be?

Quote Originally Posted by MimramMan View Post
    I know that the SOTD feature is a bit of fun only, but I do use it to track my wears and find it useful. One thing I don't understand is how SOTD does it's totals. If I look at "Your most worn (in the last month)" I see that I have recorded GHLEB 20 times - which is right as I've worn it every day for work. If I look at "Popular with the Boys (in the last month)" the fiftieth item has been worn 14 times. I have seen others record GHLEB so total wears in the month must exceed 30 yet it doesn't appear anywhere in the PwtB top fifty. How can this be?
    I see that this has been changed to indicate that it's the number of people and not the number of wears - which explains a lot!!

I think it WAS fun to see how many times it was worn. Why not bring that back and add this as well. For instance - worn by 372 people 2.560 times (I think it's Terre d'Hermes).
    Last edited by Zgb; 8th May 2014 at 04:42 PM.

I have a suggestion - SOTD mode where you can choose to see how many people worn frags and a mode to see how many times frags were worn. Two different lists. Also, not just the first 50, but like on Huddler - all of them. People will be able to judge the popularity of a fragrance by four means - people worn, times worn, number of reviews, number of threads started
    Last edited by Zgb; 8th May 2014 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I have a suggestion - SOTD mode where you can choose to see how many people worn frags and a mode to see how many times frags were worn. Two different lists. Also, not just the first 50, but like on Huddler - all of them. People will be able to judge the popularity of a fragrance by four means - people worn, times worn, number of reviews, number of threads started
    I'd vote for that if Grant has the time!

Quote Originally Posted by MimramMan View Post
    I'd vote for that if Grant has the time!
    I have strong faith that it'll happen, we need to be patient. Suggestion is not that bad, that's why I think it has a good chance XD

One other thing, what's with our - now old - huddler wears? Is that on the list? XD
    Last edited by Zgb; 24th May 2014 at 09:32 AM.

SOTD list only from march 2014 till today. I thought it was just me, then I saw that some members SOTD goes back only to january some even later. Something going on? Wardrobe count is ok, only huddler wears still missing.