Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a bright, energetic fragrance

I was walking in Medellin the other day, wearing some canvass Sperry boots, chinos, and a green polo shirt. The sun was shining and I was feeling good. I wished I had a scent to compliment my mood and surroundings, something bright and energetic. I typically like smoky, leathery, animalic, full-bodied, masculine scents. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of aquatics, in general they smell like cleaning products to me, generic and weak. So I need something that is not a cleaning product aquatic, but is not a heavy formal powerhouse either, for those days in the tropics when the weather is perfect and I've got a spring in my step. Perhaps something citrusy (though not overly sweet) may be the answer, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for a bright, energetic fragrance

VIW
    Sel Marin

Monsieur Balmain
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I like vetivers when it's warm. From the expensive Chanel Sycomore or Dior Vetiver, to the Guerlain Vetiver and many others.

cacio

Creed's GIT
    on a budget version would be Cool water by Davidoff
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I actually thought about Cool Water after I asked the question, as well. Though I haven't worn it since high school, I remember it being a classic "fresh" smell. And Sel Marin sounds intriguing, whether its aquatic or "marine" or not. I like Sycomore a lot, but it's not an energetic scent to me. It's more smooth and classy, not especially bright, IMO.

Possibly also: Mugler Cologne, Creed Original Vetiver.

Eau de Gentiane Blanche (Hermès) & Pino Silvestre might also be worth a try
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

Le Pamplemousse - Miller Harris

A ripe grapefruit on soft flowers.

for swap/sale:

Look for something with a good dose of galbanum in it. Galbanum smells bright, green, sometimes bitter.
    galbanum.jpg

A Scent by Issey Miyake is bright and green, with very little sweetness
    A-Scent-by-Issey-Miyake.jpg

Azemour Les Orangers by Parfum d’Empire is a bright citrus cologne with a pinch of salt and bitter moss.
    Azemour.jpg
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Fréderic Malle Géranium Pour Monsieur is bright and energetic: Mint + Geranium, green and refreshing.

Try Concentre d`Orange Verte by Hermes, a tart, not sweet and very refreshing citrus.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Too many to quote, but there are a lot of great suggestions here…much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post

Azemour Les Orangers by Parfum d’Empire is a bright citrus cologne with a pinch of salt and bitter moss.
    Azemour.jpg
    This one is definitely worth checking out. Good suggestion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Guerlain Homme L`Eau

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    ...Creed Original Vetiver.
    This was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Energetic and VERY fresh.
    KCCO!

Virgin Island Water or Original Vetiver.

I'm not a fan of Piña Coladas, btw, if that's what VIW smells like, but I see the vibe that those who have suggested it are going for.

I would look no further than Cartier Declaration - the original that is!

+1 for Mugler Cologne
    +1 for Hermes Concentre d`Orange Verte

Also not too expensive is Eau de Rochas Homme. Very bright and uplifting.

Frapin Espirit de Fleurs is very bright, I would say it's unisex. It's got a bright citrus opening. The drydown is vanilla, vetiver, oakmoss and patchouli but I feel like the citris is retained throughout the life of the fragrance, so it keeps the brightness going. Definitely not a heavy, formal type of scent.

Something bright and spring-like in the Penhaligons' range might work - Douro and Extract of Limes are among my favourites.

Also check out Ormonde Jayne's Zizan. Very vibrant, grassy, citrus.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I would look no further than Cartier Declaration - the original that is!
    Another very good suggestion.

Millisemi Imperial or 1740 HDP

Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    Guerlain Homme L`Eau
    How did you get your hands on that one?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStPaul View Post
    +1 for Mugler Cologne
    +1 for Hermes Concentre d`Orange Verte
    And these?

- - - Updated - - -

So I found some of these fragrances today at La Riviera (nice store for designers and they also carry Bond and Creed) and here are my quick impressions:

Creed Vetiver: A little too "grassy" for me (upon opening, didn't catch the dry down.) I'm not a big fan of "freshly cut grass" vetivers, in general. I prefer when they're blended in a classy composition such as Sycomore.

Hermes Eau de Orange Verte: Very realistic, nice orange peel smell. The brightest frangrance I smelled today. However, they did not have a tester for the Concentre d' Orange Verte (though they did sell it) so I was not able to try that. Maybe at another location, but until then, can anyone compare the two for me? Is the concentre just amped-up, or does it have a slightly different profile? The Eau was very orange in the opening, although I did not save the card for the dry down, which was a mistake. I wonder if the Eau would be like wearing freshly squeezed OJ... and if the Concentre has more of the tree/leaf/earth notes.

Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose: I got a citronella bug spray like note from this one that I did not care for.

Hermes Eau de Mandarine Ambre: Like a bit warmer/heavier (more ambery) mix of the first two, though I can't remember it too well to be honest.

Issey Miyake A Scent: Too powdery, reminded me of a CK One type of scent.

Guerlain Homme L'eau: I smelled pink lemonade in the opening, the kind that we used to drink at dinners at my grandparents house, which I found both refreshing and kind of comforting. I enjoyed the minty flavor, too. This was the one that I chose to spray on my wrists and rub on my neck behind the ears, and I have to admit, I couldn't really smell it unless I took my wrist to my nose, so projection/silliage don't seem like they're going to be big for me. By the time I went to the supermarket and walked home, it was even less noticeable, so longevity doesn't seem like a strong point, either. I did like the drydown though, it seemed to get a little "greener" and smelled fresh. It doesn't smell very high quality, but it smells quality. Probably the best aquatic smelling scent I've tried. I think I saw it reviewed somewhere as, "What Bleu de Chanel should smell like," and what I think they meant is that this is an aquatic type scent of a higher caliber. And though it's not a unique scent, it does stand out as being sharper and more flavorful than the usual run-of-the-mill cleaning product aquatics that I usually smell. Overall, I like it. I wouldn't say it dazzles, but it's a solid fragrance that I would give a thumbs up and would consider getting. It was the only one that I saved the tester strip from, and it still smells great on the card, which makes me want to try it again with an extra squeeze.

They didn't carry Cartier (wanted to test Declaration) and they didn't carry Mugler Cologne, unfortunately.

Shouts out to all who have chipped in a suggestion, even if I haven't had the chance to try yours yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Tested a few more today, including the Concentre and Declaration.

Hemes Concentre d'Orange Verte: Found this at another location of the same store. The tester was broken, wouldn't spray. My luck. The sales lady took the top off and somehow got some juice to come through the little tube and hit the tester strip. I kept it this time. Nice orange opening again, like the Eau I tried yesterday, and the dry down is indeed green and smooth. I see some TdH resemblance here, as well. Very nice fragrance. Bright and elegant at the same time.

Cartier Declaration: The most full-bodied of all the fragrances that I've tried from this search. It strikes me as very much a woodsy scent, and I wouldn't really classify it as an energetic, pick-me-up type of summer fragrance. That said, it is great at what it does and I like it a lot. I got a "pine forest in the fall after a rain with leaves on the ground" vibe from the opening (not much citrus or sweetness, maybe vintage was better) and a couple of hours later on the card it became a little powdery. I think this, if anything, is a fragrance that can work in any circumstance--summer, winter, day, night, hot, cold, casual, formal--it's very versatile. Interestingly enough, I found it in Cologne, EDT, and "Essence." I believed the bottle I tried was the EDT, though there weren't any markings.

I sampled others such as Blue de Chanel (sums up everything I hate about aquatics), GIT (not 6x better than CW) and Cool Water (still nice, would wear again for some "retro" value), Allure Homme Edition Blanche (no way, Chanel), Guerlain Homme L'eau Boise (boring.)

Mugler Cologne remains elusive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eule View Post
    Pino Silvestre might also be worth a try
    I also found a 2.5 oz of that on sale for about $15USD. There wasn't a tester, though.
    Last edited by RC.; 16th November 2013 at 04:37 PM.

You should definitely try Declaration Cologne (in the white box), that's the brightest and energetic of the range; I believe it's discontinued though, so I'd grab it while it's still around.

Attached Images Attached Images

Finally found Mugler Cologne at Saks. Irish Spring in a bottle.

Banned

It is very rare but exactly correponding to your search, to me : L'eau Frappée (IUNX)

Basenotes Plus

a nice great scent that would go along with this tommy bahama set sail st barts. its a great fragrance at a very cheap price. give it a try. for under $20 you cant go wrong.

My suggestions:

Creed Virgin Island Water: Lime, coconut, and rum.

Guerlain Homme: lime, mint and rum

L'Eau d'Issey: a fresh blast of energy. Does not smell generic at all

Armani Code Sport: Citrus, mint and woods

Mugler cologne !

Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Mugler Cologne
    MFK APOM pour homme
    Clinique Happy for men
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Dhs
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

Guerlain Vetiver comes to mind

Vetiver hombre

I ended up going with Guerlain Homme L'eau for its minty, pink lemonade opening and fresh dry down. It ticks the boxes for the kind of fresh, invigorating, strolling-around-on-a-sunny-day feeling that I was looking for. I also smelled some good fragrances in the process, some of which I may consider in the future. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by white View Post
    Vetiver hombre
    I'll have to try that the next time I'm in Spain.