Code of Conduct

Default Is Wire Transfer of $2,000 to fragrancenet safe?

From buying online worldwide since 2006, I'd say fragrancenet has the worst customer service. E-mails were never responded, all I could do is call them up. Other web sites responded to my e-mails within 3 days max.

However, as a reseller, I have to avoid letting my customers down (a collector as well)

And so I am thinking of doing wire transfer from Thailand to them but would like to ask members here first, whether should I go ahead or not?

They told me I don't have to e-mail them that I have paid, just put down the order number on the wire transfer and once they get the payment they will ship my package out.

$2,000 is a lot, if it were by credit card I could reject the payment if there is a problem with my orders. They don't accept my credit card although I have shown them the proof of being its owner.

What do you guys think? Safe or not?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Wire Transfer of $2,000 to fragrancenet safe?

What recourse would you have if they didn't ship, or shipped the wrong thing?

If the answer is "no recourse", how can it be safe?

I wouldn't do it.

I've never dealt with fragrancenet myself, but you say that 1) they have the worst customer service, and 2) they won't accept your credit card. Both of these are warning flags to me.

You have dealt with them in the past. How did you work those transactions? Did they formerly accept your credit card and now they won't? The refusal to honor the credit card is the most bothersome thing to me.

Chances are that everything would work out fine, but there is definitely a risk involved. I assume that you are using them because they have the lowest price. I would be tempted to go with another vendor who responds better and will cooperate with you using your credit card.

You'd think that in today's economic situation companies would make it easier on themselves and their customers.

I don't put up with much anymore. There's too much competition out there and too many other companies willing to take my money to have to put up with bullshit. Don't take American Express or want to charge me 5% more to do so? Fine, I'll never do business with you. Don't answer my emails? Fine, your competitors will. Your website sucks or won't work properly? Fine, I won't use you. You get the idea. Maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old age. But I hate dealing with businesses that act like they don't want to make money.

My primary rules for businesses: 1) make your products easy to find and to get (I hate exclusive perfume lines, city exclusive, etc. that you cannot buy unless you travel 1000 miles) , and 2) make it easy for your customers to part with their money (please give me another option than that stupid PayPal crap).
    Last edited by noggs; 9th November 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Definitely wouldn't do it. Too much risk and no safeguards or protection for you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

I never had any trouble with FragranceNet, but I live in the U.S.A. They accept my credit card without fail and deliver within 5 days.

As far as overseas, some companies like the PayPal option where the buyer's credit card is stored. I have dealt twice with Paris, France with PayPal (and my credit card) and the software from Europe to U.S.A. works just fine.

What is the reason that FragranceNet rejects your credit card?? Have you successfully bought from them before using another credit card??

There is no way I would send out such a large sum without a guarantee, in writing. Like AusLiebezumDuft has Buyers Guaranty.

You are walking on very thin ice.

Why not break up the order into smaller pieces and progressively purchase from FragranceNet using a Credit Card??
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

If fragrancenet would like to have your single $2000.00 sale let fragrancenet bend their rules to provide you with a safe transaction of your choice, within reason of course. There may be an online safe 'Third Party' site that holds the money from the buyer until delivery and then releases it electronically to the seller for a small fee.

I believe the antivirus internet site AVIRA uses one called Cleverbridge for international sales.

http://www.cleverbridge.com/corporate/
    Last edited by kbe; 9th November 2013 at 02:02 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Setup a PayPal account and pay fragrancenet using your PayPal

Thanks to all answers but let me share with you my problem with them.

First off all, I've never bought from them before because Thailand is not listed on their international shipping list.

But since I have someone in USA who can ship package to Thailand for me, so I'd like to try since they have a few things I've been looking for and I could not find it from elsewhere for this price.

At first, I made an order trying to use PayPal, but my country cannot be changed and so their system rejected it. Then I turned to paying by credit card, and since Thailand is not listed I input credit card details wrongly, same as shipping address. And I knew they would contact me.

What I got later was some kinds of automatic e-mail, telling me they could not accept credit card for my 2 orders and that I have to do wire transfer.

I responded with so many details of my credit cards.
    -a photocopy of my cc statement showing my activity, mainly perfume retailers name shown on it.
    -a receipt from the bank, total amount paid is as same as the amount on the statement.
    -my passbook with the same amount withdrawn on the same day.

I think this is sufficient, but you know what...I never ever got any responses. I sent it to payments@fragrancenet.com and info@fragrancenet.com. I then contacted their Facebook account and that is the only source I got the answer but still it was pretty useless. Saying "I have passed your question to our team and someone will respond as soon as possible". A week gone by and there is nothing.

When I called them asking "Can I combine 2 orders and make a wire transfer at once because the bank would charge me $40 for one transaction?" The representative asked me to hold the line and went to ask her colleague, then got back saying yes, you can combine.

"Do I have to e-mail you once I've sent the payment?"
    "No, just put the order numbers on your wire transfer."
    "The reason I am concerned is because you never reply my e-mail so I don't know if I'd get the products after I've paid."
    "Don't worry."
    "Isn't PayPal safe? Why can't I pay by payPal?"
    "Ummmm, no, only wire transfer."
    "I've sent so many proofs that I own this credit card, have you read it?"
    "Well, it doesn't matter if you've sent it, we can only accept wire transfer."

(She doesn't sound like American or a native English speaker.)

Just a part of our conversation but it seemed she didn't know much about her company's rules, etc. She asked me to hold the line 3 times.

Actually, I have a reliable friend in USA who can use his cc to buy for me but I have to pay him first. So what do you guys think between these 2 options?

1. Pay by wire transfer on my own. Fragrancenet is such a huge company they won't take your money and don't ship stuff out.
    2. Cancel the orders and let my friend buy it. If this way, could Fragrancenet make things difficult for my friend even though he is in USA (CA)?

My experience with Ebay and other online retailers were quite smooth. This gave me headache. Only if I haven't got payment from my customers I'd have let it go a few days ago. Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by KiatBkk; 9th November 2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Here is another option: change your official PayPal address to your friend's address. Then pay with PayPal. They ship to him, he ships to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Here is another option: change your official PayPal address to your friend's address. Then pay with PayPal. They ship to him, he ships to you.
    Thanks for your idea, I went to PayPal trying to do it, and thought it was a good idea, but then this....

"By entering a new address, you will also change the PayPal billing address for the cards below. Before you make a change on this page, please update your new address with the card companies."

And yes I cannot change my country to another, there is no option at all.

So you think asking for a friend's help is better?

One more funny thing...I asked them this:

"How long do you hold unpaid order for?"
    "There is no time frame."

Do you guys think this is funny? I bought one item, 15 bottles and so it is now showing "out of stock" on their site.

What if I don't pay for 4 weeks, will they still keep it for me? That sounds unreal, other companies may have cancelled it and put it back on the web site to sell. Why no time frame for such a thing. Maybe there is but the representative knew it not.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

That's interesting...last year a woman from Australia changed her PayPal address to her friend's address the USA so she could buy a perfume I was selling. She didn't say she had this problem.

I would personally hesitate to send a wire transfer. Here's an idea, how about using wire transfer for a really small order first, and see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Here's an idea, how about using wire transfer for a really small order first, and see what happens?
    That makes sense. This way you will know how it goes and not have to worry about such a large amount of money.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

That is the best Idea I have heard all day. Try a wire transfer for no more than $50. or just one product.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Maybe you could send your friend $2,000 and they could order the scents, pay for them from their own account, and ship them to you. I'm sure you'd find a nice way to show your appreciation to your friend for the hassle.

If you have a friend in the USA to help you, then just pay your friend the $2000, then your friend can buy the items and then send them to you.
    I don't see the problem.
    Unfortunately, due to the high amount of fraud that comes out of Thailand, I do not blame Fragrancenet or Paypal for not accepting transactions from your country.

Thanks for the more ideas. Actually sending them small amount sounds good but the bank charges $40 per transaction so I'd better leave it.

I've come to the conclusion to ask for help from a friend. I hope once I cancel the item will be back online and my friend can catch it before it's sold out.

Refer to John E Buoy's reply, I can buy from many other stores in USA using my cc. I used to buy perfume from England, had it shipped to my friend. The seller called to ask why the address is not in Thailand, I explained that my friend is coming back to Thailand so better ship it to her. He understood and the transaction was completed. It depends on the vision of each company. I went on Fragrancenet facebook and I saw so many complaints, mainly how hard to get a response from them by e-mail. Since 2006, I've heard many good things about them here on BN, but then you gotta look at the other side as well. Thanks again :-)
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

At some point you have to face the fact that they are not a buyer-friendly company for you. Time to look for greener pastures?
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    At some point you have to face the fact that they are not a buyer-friendly company for you. Time to look for greener pastures?
    Yes they are not and to many others as well from looking at their FB page. Once the promise to my customers is completed I'd say goodbye to them. While having a headache with them, I also contacted other 3 web sites and I got responses from them all.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

In general, it seems people from the US are happier with their customer service than people from the rest of the world. I can't imagine the situation will improve. Shipping perfume is getting harder and harder.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    In general, it seems people from the US are happier with their customer service than people from the rest of the world. I can't imagine the situation will improve. Shipping perfume is getting harder and harder.
    It looks like once the deal is getting a little hard they stop responding your e-mail. I used another account to simply ask "How soon do you ship after the payment is sent?" They replied in 2 hours saying within 24-48 hours.

I then said "My country is not listed on your site is wire transfer okay?"

"Please use U.S. credit card. We do not ship to Canada at this time."

"No I am in Asia."

And as you can imagine they went silent LOL. I have no wonder why they never responded to my e-mail.

I understand that they receive tons of orders per day and they don't give a s...t to a harder deal.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

They're certainly not going to rip you off but you're going to have a long and hard time getting your stuff.

Avoid I say.

Or just let your friend receive & forward it to you and then you owe your friend a nice Pad Thai!

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    They're certainly not going to rip you off but you're going to have a long and hard time getting your stuff.

Avoid I say.

Or just let your friend receive & forward it to you and then you owe your friend a nice Pad Thai!
    You know what...I could buy from their ebay store simply because when you're checking out, Ebay asks which address to be used, and so I could add it and I've got a tracking number already.

Okay, why do you think I will have to wait for a long time and go through a hard time? The shipping address is in USA, not Thailand.

Are you saying sending wire transfer to them is safe and that they won't be nasty to me as they do with all my unanswered e-mails? Looks like they have tons of e-mails and they choose to deal with the domestic case or the easy ones like my ebay purchase.

Pad Thai is delicious but not my favorite due to its ingredients. Fried chicken with holy basil and Bird's Eye Chilli is best
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    You know what...I could buy from their ebay store simply because when you're checking out, Ebay asks which address to be used, and so I could add it and I've got a tracking number already.

Okay, why do you think I will have to wait for a long time and go through a hard time? The shipping address is in USA, not Thailand.

Are you saying sending wire transfer to them is safe and that they won't be nasty to me as they do with all my unanswered e-mails? Looks like they have tons of e-mails and they choose to deal with the domestic case or the easy ones like my ebay purchase.

Pad Thai is delicious but not my favorite due to its ingredients. Fried chicken with holy basil and Bird's Eye Chilli is best
    I'd buy from their ebay store then. At least there is eBay to handle things if something goes wrong.

No, I still think they're going to remain incompetent even after you wire $2,000 or $10,000.

Is the discount from them worth their hassle and high potential for risk.
    Only you can answer that.

Ohh and I need to ask Khun Ohm to make that Bird's eye chilli for me!

for swap/sale:

Why do you insist on giving thousands of dollars to a company you admittedly have a terrible time dealing with? All you're doing is enabling them.

Why don't you go with an alternative company?

And finally, why are you selling stock you don't have and whose supply chain you have trouble safeguarding?

EDIT: Don't mean to say Fragrancenet is a bad vendor, but they clearly don't want or need a wire transfer because of the hassle involved for everyone.
    Last edited by throwbookatface; 17th November 2013 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    due to the high amount of fraud that comes out of Thailand, I do not blame Fragrancenet or Paypal for not accepting transactions from your country.
    They need to protect themselves. Too many scammers out there that take advantage of being outside the USA.

I've been using Fragrancenet for years. Always perfect, never one problem. Excellent customer service as well on the phone and over email.

Blog Entries

Seriously just get your friend to buy and ship it to you. You pay your friend. Boom.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    If you have a friend in the USA to help you, then just pay your friend the $2000, then your friend can buy the items and then send them to you.
    I don't see the problem.
    Unfortunately, due to the high amount of fraud that comes out of Thailand, I do not blame Fragrancenet or Paypal for not accepting transactions from your country.
    I fully disagree with your point of view. If you take a look at their list to which countries they ship, you will find that there are many other
    countries which range in the hit list of fraud way before Thailand. They also do not ship to Germany as they used to.

Years ago I bought many things from Fragrancenet without problems. I paid with credit card because Paypal says that my account
    was not valid in the U.S.

From a certain point of time I incurred problems with their delivery, either the bottles arrived broken, or the shipment did not arrive
    within 6 weeks, etc. For paying further orders I also sent them photocopies of my credit card and all information they requested, which I found strange enough. Then they kept insisting on receiving payment via bank transfer, which I refrained from due to the high costs.

I would not send them a wire transfer.
    Last edited by Puma; 1st January 2014 at 11:10 AM.