Code of Conduct

Default Developing an effective strategy of fragrance purchasing

Dear all,

I have been thinking of new strategies of buying new fragrances. I have about 18 bottles and still want to get new ones. I constantly read reviews and threads and therefore get interest in more fragrances.

Anyways, I recently decided to adopt the bottle a month strategy (a strategy I have come up with). I hope this would satisfy the desire of purchasing new bottles (by still enjoying new fragrances) as well as controlling the money spent on new bottles.

Do you have a spending strategy?
    Do you get in troubles because of the amount of money you spend?
    Are you planning to adopt a strategy?

Please share your thoughts so the whole community benefit.

Regards,
    Perfumology

Default Re: Developing an effective strategy of fragrance purchasing

I personally have no buying strategy. If I want it in my collection I buy it regardless of cost. My system has always worked well for me. (267)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I try to sample as much as possible and not buy until I've used up at least one sample. It doesn't always work out that way!

Your one-a-month strategy sounds very fair. Good luck!
    Last edited by Kagey; 9th November 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Though there some definitive favorites (also favorite designers, categories) on my list and I am more prone to first go through this purchase list, it may also happen for me to encounter a fragrance that is completely new to me that I may still buy if I like it enough.

I have just been getting samples for the last few months.
    I no longer see any point in buying more bottles that I will never come anywhere near finishing.
    I have a few that I will always be happy with, like Egoiste and Monsieur De Givenchy. Everything else is neither here nor there.
    I have more important things to spend money on.

I have a monthly limit too, and some other strategies I've developed for myself over the years:

- No impulse buys. I don't buy something unless I've tested and lived in it for at least a couple of weeks.
    - I only buy something that is a beautiful experience wholistically - quality packaging; quality scent; from a brand that's more about aesthetics and less about fashion.

My monthly budget includes an amount for samples, partly so that I may become up to date with some current products, partly out of curiosity.
    Other than that, only scents that have impressed me a lot are purchased as my vet seems to need an increasing amount of support these days!

My strategy, at the moment, is to explore certain notes that really interest me. For example, I'm finding that I love a lot of fragrances with Vetiver. Therefore, I'm focusing on fragrances in which Vetiver is featured. In the meantime, I'm always open to serendipity. If a fragrance that interests me falls into my lap, I'll snatch it up. Also, I'm always looking for a good cheapie. I've stumbled into a few really great scores that way.

And last. If there is a fragrance that I really like, such as Drakkar Noir, I try to find variations on that theme. That can lead you in some very interesting directions, as well.

Cheers,
    TC

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I personally have no buying strategy. If I want it in my collection I buy it regardless of cost. My system has always worked well for me. (267)
    Sorry to say but buying whatever you want is no system at all and doesn't help the OP in any way.

Instead of the 1 month/1 bottle strategy I have a budget that I use in one month. If I want very expensive scents I buy nothing in one month and purchase it the next month.

If it adds value to my wardrobe motif, I'll get it. Lol

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Instead of the 1 month/1 bottle strategy I have a budget that I use in one month. If I want very expensive scents I buy nothing in one month and purchase it the next month.
    Mmmm, seems good. I was thinking about the same strategy.

Sorry to say but buying whatever you want is no system at all and doesn't help the OP in any way.
    I said it was a strategy and system that has worked for me.

The OP asked:

I answered the questions truthfully. Perhaps not a valid system for you. Have I offended you in some way?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I said it was a strategy and system that has worked for me.

The OP asked:

I answered the questions truthfully. Perhaps not a valid system for you. Have I offended you in some way?
    I only criticized the content of your post not you as a poster.

I hope you are comfortable with that.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    If it adds value to my wardrobe motif, I'll get it. Lol
    Like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Perfumology View Post
    Mmmm, seems good. I was thinking about the same strategy.
    Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Other than that, only scents that have impressed me a lot are purchased as my vet seems to need an increasing amount of support these days!
    I hear you Lpp. Those vet costs can skyrocket.

I hear you Lpp. Those vet costs can skyrocket.
    They're very hi-tech now, hednic - MRI's & everything!
    When the insurance pays out - bottles again :)
    I guess it's all down to priorities in the end for me - scent comes pretty high 'though!

Hednic,

It seems to me that you have difficulties if someone criticizes the content of your posts as you use others to ignore my reaction on this thread.

You seem to feel the need to show us a more shallow side of your personality.

You have an enormous knowledge of scents and are a great person to have around on this board.

No need to lower yourself to a spoiled kid that doesn't get thing the way he likes.

And please do ignore my post.

I only criticized the content of your post not you as a poster.

I hope you are comfortable with that.
    Now if we only had the like/hidden content button at our disposal

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Now if we only had the like/hidden content button at our disposal
    Things are never around when you need them.

What was the thread title again?
    Please keep on topic.

My strategy is to sample like crazy and then make a list of those samples that may be FB worthy. Price comes into play, but I will allow myself to make a very expensive purchase if I am absolutely impressed with the perfume. Being impressed includes my emotional response because I want to wear something that satisfies me and improves my outlook on life. I don't see the point in spending money on a fragrance simply because it's a good deal or happens to be the celebrated niche product of the moment.

I haven't got a strategy. But I do need one. I think a wise one is to have a predetermined budget and then you can spend whatever you've budgeted on however many bottles/sample you can obtain with that amount of money.

However, this requires discipline, which this month, I seem to lack.

I guess I can elaborate.

Initially my strategy, after many many horrible failed impusle buys , was to learn what notes smell like. On thier own, soliflores (soliresins) are not too hard to recognize if you know what they smell like. It gets difficult when you don't know what a couple of components of an accord smell like.
    Some , due to tradition & culture in my geographic corner of the globe, are second nature. Rose, cardamom, star anise (aniseed), saffron, jasmine and so on.
    Basically learned what individual notes smelled like by smelling perfumes that contained them in high percentage & by smelling essential oils. The latter really worked as a catalyst.

for swap/sale:

I have been bless by not being burn in getting duds(only once)... my strategy is very simple just go smelling around and find your favorite notes like vetiver or pineapple, or iris and get samples and take them for a couple or few whole day test drives and get a true perspective on juice: and the times that I've blind bought is because I have expended all resources via reviewers in many scent base sites, always maintaining patience at nothing pulling trigger on impulse but on wise investigation in all empirical reviews done by credible and trusted reviewers and perfumers....if you don't do this , you will end up with many undesirable scents...and count wise in getting frags at a specific rate is kind of pressuring yourself and it shouldn't be a burden task but an enjoyable task at getting next scent because it triggered a sensational delight to your olfactory registries: but I do understand the effects of THEE bug we all scent lovers have been stung & infected unexpectedly and the side effects of it causing overwhelmingly compulsory addiction to add more at whims desire to our collection but we have to careful, I try to collect only the ones I rate 8 or 9 and above in a scale 1-10........Cheerios
    Last edited by magnus611; 10th November 2013 at 03:49 AM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

My strategy is very frugal, being relatively poor at the moment - samples, samples, samples!

Being in NYC helps, because I can visit a store offering some wonderful fragrances every week or two. That may yield me 2-4 samples of some niche, and I'll also stop by Sephoras for a sample or two of a nicer designer frag. I've tried Voyage de Hermes' EdP, TF Grey Vetiver, Dior Homme, and Polo Green in the last month this way.

I also buy samples through ebay, the usual decant sites, or Parfum1 when I'm really interested in something (e.g. I got the full ranges of Atelier, Slumberhouse, and Lili Bermuda this way recently). $25 isn't bad for exploring such wonderful houses. I'd like to try By Kilian next.

I supplement this with the 1-2 bottles I buy per year for myself, and 1-2 for my fiancee. My last couple of bottles have been Tom Ford or Bond, and their reps not only shower us with samples at the counter, but they'll mail us even more when they actually ship the bottle. So at this point I have about 12 full bottles in my wardrobe, but about 30-35 samples on hand, and a spreadsheet to keep track of what I do and don't like. Definitely enough for me.

Splash Bottles Suck

I currently allow myself about $100 - $150 a month to spend on a full bottle, samples, or both if the bottle is reasonably priced. I prioritize full bottle purchases based on what I want the most and what I fear may not be available much longer at a current price.

No strategy here. If I like it, and I can afford it.......sold!

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    No strategy here. If I like it, and I can afford it.......sold!
    Similar to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    I prioritize full bottle purchases based on what I want the most and what I fear may not be available much longer at a current price.
    This is a strong consideration for me as well, though it isn't always easy to tell given how the rumor mill is constantly spinning.

Banned
    Blog Entries

my strategy changes..
    sometimes it's only used bottles..
    sometimes only cheapies..

for the next few months-no purchases-only selling and swapping

If i like something I'll buy it asap but I also need to limit myself sometimes as I can be a total shopaholic. A bottle a month sounds like a good idea!!