Code of Conduct

Default Typical annoying moments for perfume addicts..

Here are some of mine:

The lady working in a Chanel boutique trying to assure me that the Les Exclusifs are 100% natural. Not that I care, but really.. I just didn't know what to say and decided to just let her be, apart from that she was nice.

When you realize some smell (of whatever) is present in your house while trying to sample perfumes. Could be a banana peel that's lying on the table, just having farted (sorry but it has happened) or a neighbour cooking spicy food

Blog Entries

Default Re: Typical annoying moments for perfume addicts..

I00% natural Chanel? That's hilarious!

People who spray a mist in the air overhead and 'walk through' . I sold some beautiful Italian perfume to a friend but her husband doesn't really like to smell any scent on her so this is what she does. Every time I see her she asks me if I can smell her perfume and of course I never do. What a waste.

(Her husband is an allergy doctor. The perfume I sold her is very light but he hates any fragrance, it seems, so it's a lesson in futility.)
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th November 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Buying a full bottle and finding it somewhat different from the sample....

Buying a bottle and finding out that you could have got it cheaper elsewhere.

Splash Bottles Suck

One word: shipping.

Living in Canada, I am regularly annoyed with the increasing costs of shipping perfume here. Ordering samples from Surrender to Chance now costs $13 in shipping, whereas it used to be $6 (I know this is not the fault of STC - USPS has upped its shipping costs). This is a hassle if I only want to try a few things. Also, I used to be able to buy a bottle of something on ebay and pay $10 shipping, now its at least double that. There are also many good online discounters that advertise free shipping within the U.S. but do not ship to Canada at all.

I would guess that the increased strictness in shipping perfumes compared with a few years ago (you now cannot ship any perfume outside the UK) has been an annoying thing for many BN'ers.

For me, fragrances not readily available in the US and have to be purchased from abroad. (276)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me, fragrances not readily available in the US and have to be purchased from abroad. (276)
    THIS. Or worse - are not even available for shipping to the US.

Spraying a fragrance you really enjoy and 3 minutes later breaking out in hives because your allergic to something in it. Then being stuck with a full bottle that you love but can't use.

Buying a back-up-bottle just to realize you spotted the reformulation.

Only narrowly escaping an near-argument with SAs over fragrance concentrations like EDT, EDC, EDP.

Another "close call" in terms of a similar type of argument: trying to convince a certain fragrance store to stock up/replenish stocks/retail more backup bottles of several fragrances (neither too elitist, nor niche, nor too expensive, also not discontinued-limited edition fragrances, but in production- in my defense).

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodrocks View Post
    Spraying a fragrance you really enjoy and 3 minutes later breaking out in hives because your allergic to something in it. Then being stuck with a full bottle that you love but can't use.
    I can just imagine how awful that must be.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    THIS. Or worse - are not even available for shipping to the US.
    Rather have that, then find out the shipping is more than the perfume you want to buy.

An SA telling me what I "must" smell. And then waving a paper stick under my nose. I consider my nose personel space. Stay out!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not being able to decide on which sample/decant to use while just hanging around the house.

Leaving home sans perfume with the intention of stopping by a perfume place to try something new.
    Plan changes, stuck perfume'less the remainder of the day.

for swap/sale:

Not finding discontinued editions of originals and others trying to get deeper into my pockets because of scarcity of frag: and obviously not finding specific wanted juice at a reasonable price for myself and reasonable profit for vendor...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Tristram View Post
    Buying a back-up-bottle just to realize you spotted the reformulation.
    Extremely annoying when this happens!

Reading on non perfume forums, that you should not smell your perfume on yourself at all! That is how you know its working for you Others should get a faint hint you are wearing it, but not you. You try to explain the principle of wearing a perfume you enjoy but it goes over their heads.
    DONNA

A SA insisting that the 250ml splash bottle of FM l'Eau d'Hiver is in a different, lower concentration (EdC) than the 100ml bottle. She even called the store's headquarters and I could tell from the way she asked that she wasn't going to admit she was wrong, so I called FM and ofcourse, the concentrations are the same. In general, if a SA thinks he/she knows better and thinks you know nothing.. It's just not worth the discussion/fuss most of the time in my opinion.

Sitting at home with a bad flu and just having no desire for any kind of smell. I have this right now and it`s REALLY HORRIBLE.
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

Get well soon, Eule!

Get well soon, Eule!
    Oh that`s lovely, THANKS lpp :-)
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

You're welcome, Eule - it's so miserable when you have a flu!

Those moments with SA being badly or romanticized informed are for me personally more awkward than annoying.
    But when I have a specific fragrance in mind I want to wear that day and take it without considering something else and spray, twice, thrice not only the wrists, also the neck – only to find out I may picked up the right fragrance, but it's the wrong scent for this day. That's somehow saddening. And I pity myself and the perfume for not having a perfect date.

Eagerly awaiting a bottle of fragrance that you have ordered, but when it finally arrives, the atomizer is suboptimal (happened to me with Creed VIW) or doesn't work at all (happened to me with Guerlain SDV).

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I hear ya on that one.

This!

I don't mind SA's in stores except when they spin you a line of prime bullshit.

What does annoy me is 'customers' smelling the sprayer on the bottle and making a judgement. They probably think they are being cute and 'professional'

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    Just happen to me yesterday for the first time, saw elsewhere $15USD cheaper after I had commited elsewhere afterwards was tempted to return it but I've done business with this dealer for a while and they've been good to me and didn't proceed to return it and instead took one for the team...Yikes it hurts me though Eventhough is not much.....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "