Code of Conduct

Question Perceived Dominant Notes That Aren't Listed In Perfumes ?

I know that most fragrances can contain 100+ notes, but for practical reasons only the more dominant notes that form the main olfactory structure of the perfume are listed.
    Can you give examples of notes you are getting out of a perfume that aren't mentioned ?

I have just been sampling By (womens) D&G and I get a whopping star anise/liquorice accord that isn't mentioned in the notes. I also get a dominant black pepper note in Cacharel pour Homme, although only nutmeg is listed.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Perceived Dominant Notes That Aren't Listed In Perfumes ?

I pick up a distinct lemon note in Oud Malaki by Chopard each time I try it, which doesn't seem to be listed in the scent structure.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Ignore the descriptions, they are made by the marketing department who often don't smell the fragrance.

Protecting from Copycats, true condiment of concoction is priced and well protected and kept in a safe house deep in a subterraneal(underground) safe, place unknown ....oh this is also the place they keep the original Coca~Cola Formula RECIPE...lol ...Now seriously speaking... obviously they're not gonna publicly give every specific oils and non oils concocted in the final blend(formula)....etc

-Also sometimes certain blends or specific note in the composition, that interact with others that arrive at a particular distinctive scent that is recognizable to our noses. For example a note that my nose has confirmed and others is that one of perfume DHI that has a distinctive cocoa(cacao) powder essence not listed and others out there ...etc etc in the scent universe of perfume sold to the public...
    Last edited by magnus611; 9th November 2013 at 09:35 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Happens allllll the time.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I pick up a distinct lemon note in Oud Malaki by Chopard each time I try it, which doesn't seem to be listed in the scent structure.
    Thanks hednic. This is what I wanted to achieve by starting this thread. Other examples of perfumes containing notes not listed.

I get a huge coffee note out of Comme des Garcons Black but it doesn't seem to be listed in the notes that I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I get a huge coffee note out of Comme des Garcons Black but it doesn't seem to be listed in the notes that I have read.
    Thanks gtsb. This could be interesting information for anyone seeking a perfume with a coffee note. Worth checking out and not listed as having coffee in it so it would be otherwise overlooked.
    .....this is why I started this thread.

One I came across recently was Black Vetiver by Phaedon. I'm sure there is nutmeg in there, although unlisted. It reminds me of Guerlain Vetiver.

Get a strong tobacco note with Joop! Pour Homme which isnt listed.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Turning this on it's head (sorry) -- how about the amount of ridiculous notes that are often listed but you can only smell about 2 at best. Eau Duelle lists about 12 -- I only get amber and vanilla from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Turning this on it's head (sorry) -- how about the amount of ridiculous notes that are often listed but you can only smell about 2 at best. Eau Duelle lists about 12 -- I only get amber and vanilla from top to bottom.
    +1. "Good point"

yep, I guess the percentage of specific oil note specified in pyramid gets lost or eaten up by protagonist Note in blending process OR maybe it went spiraling down the black hole...lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I always find it funny when a someone writes a long review where they describe smelling almost all of the listed notes in some fragrance. Maybe my nose is broken but I can't believe they can smell that many more than me. I get at most a handful.

I get coconut in Slumberhouse's Pear & Olive and I get the smell of dates from Lutens' Arabie.

It's not listed, but I can't help but be convinced that there is cherry in Pure Havane, and I love it. It seems so put out there that it's hard for me to think otherwise at this point.

I also get a distinct carrot note from Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. I haven't come across anybody else who has picked this up, but I just cannot get past it.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    I always find it funny when a someone writes a long review where they describe smelling almost all of the listed notes in some fragrance. Maybe my nose is broken but I can't believe they can smell that many more than me. I get at most a handful.
    'M7: This opens with citric notes of bergamot and mandarin before vetiver and agarwood take centre-stage. This progresses to a musky, amber base, rounded out by mandrake root'.

Patchouli isn't mentioned in the pyramid of Ungaro I. It's probably the most important part of its base.

You mean on the packaging or on sites like this one and Fragrantica? If the latter (I don't really look all that closely at the packaging) then Fleur du Male and vanilla.