Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Chasing the past - Oriza L. Legrand

I came across this topic inside the Huddler Archive - a discussion about Oriza L. Legrand Parfums, Paris.

http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/375910

Furthermore, Kafkaesque praised the line inside her blog. Which prompted me to write a short blog article, today, mainly to direct the attention to the fact that a sample set can be ordered.

http://www.basenotes.net/entries/10817-Chasing-the-past

These scents may be worth examining.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Default Re: Chasing the past - Oriza L. Legrand

The house produces a wonderful line of fragrances IMO. I am lucky to have many of theirs in my collection. Hope you get a chance to try them out. (290)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks Ursula, I read your blog and also the reviews Kafkaesque wrote. It sounds like a very respectful resurrection of the house and I am going to order a sample pack.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Just a pity that my Oriza thread is still stuck in Huddler hell.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Been playing around with some samples from this line. Overall impression is that they're very natural, well made scents, but majority of them are just a bit too feminine and floral for me. Horizon (patchouli) and Deja Le Printemps (gorgeous fig) are the only two of the samples I've tried that I would wear. Perhaps Oeillet Louis XV could pass as unisex also.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 10th December 2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Just a pity that my Oriza thread is still stuck in Huddler hell.
    There were some very informative posts in that great thread you started. Hopefully it will be back soon.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

@ Hednic and Prince Barry -

Well, you don't have to wait until the time is right for the BN software to comply and the thread will re-appear.

Just start a new thread.

Thanks for digging this up, and yes, do feel free to start a new discussion thread -- we can always merge the new with the old later. I'll be reading your thoughts on these later today.

I posted these comments on the previous thread, but I have changed my mind a bit since then. I had about three goes at sampling them and I think I have a better idea about what’s what.
    Horizon is probably my favourite at the moment. A lovely chocolate/cocoa and patchouli combo, reminding me of Serge Lutens’ Borneo. But much stronger and with an authentic period vibe.
    Chypre Mousse is aA very convincing, fresh, interesting fragrance. There is a strong resemblance to Terre de Bois by Miller Harris, which is one of my old favourites.
    Reve d’Ossian is probably one of the most original fragrances I’ve come across in a long time. One needs to work a bit on this one, but I did get it in the end.
    All three are very long lasting (especially Horizon) and with great sillage. There is a strong kinship between Reve d’Ossian and Horizon, especially in the middle development.
    Les Jardins d'Armide is a lovely floral powdery fragrance. I am not a huge fan of powdery perfumes, but this one is rather lovely. There is indeed a vague Guerlain-esque, L’Heure Bleu-ish accord somewhere, quite fleeting. Amazing projection and lasting power.
    Relique D’Amour is one I need to try again. After a first try, I am struggling with it and I seem to get a dominant turpentine smell, although there is a photorealistic recreation of a musty, moist and cold church or prayer book (or maybe of a reliquaire?) that transports me to a different place. The only thing is that I am not quite sure I want to be there – I’ve been to better smelling churches. Some of the reviewers mention lily, but I can’t detect it. Overall, an interesting exercise in perfumery, but I doubt that it will go on my wishlist.
    Deja Le Printemps is a more gentle green, organic fragrance. I need to give this one another try.
    Oillet Louis XV has somewhere a spicy carnation, but I also need to try this one again.
    I ordered one of their soaps with the set of samples (felt mean just ordering samples from a new company) and it smells great! I don’t think I am going to use it, it went into a drawer to fragrance cloths – my grandmother used to do that – and every time I open that drawer I get a lovely smell.
    I definitely want to buy one of them, but can’t quite make up my mind – hence the third round of sampling. Also, might want to wait to see how they smell in warmer weather.

Oillet Louis XV and Reve d’Ossian have recently become my preferred and the idea of using their soaps as a clothes scenter is excellent.
    (834)

I'm loving Oeillet Louis XV, that's on my FB Buy list; and am still working through the other samples.
    The sample pack is a great way to go!

Tbh, there was too much work that people put into the previous Oriza thread, including excellent reviews from people. I won't be starting another thread on the subject.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I called a Thanksgiving Day audible today and applied Oriza's Reve d'Ossian, from the sample package I received a few weeks ago. Wow is it good! I get incense, benzoin, sandalwood and myrrh. I'm sure there are other notes in here too that I'm not recognizing. Anyway, a wonderful scent for the holiday.

I agree with hednic and james1051 above: Oeillet Louis XV is a stunning scent, and it is my favorite of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Tbh, there was too much work that people put into the previous Oriza thread, including excellent reviews from people. I won't be starting another thread on the subject.
    I understand your passion for not starting a duplicate on this because the original was epic and very well received by members. It was so informative. The wait to intricate the old format to this forum is hard to wait for I know. Hopefully, good news is forthcoming.

Blog Entries

The 7 samples from Oriza L. Legrand just came into my mailbox. Wow. These are generous samples. Not so tiny like those from LuckyScent. All in all, their sample pack is an excellent deal, almost too good to be true.

So, I started with "Reve d'Ossian". Too much musk, although I had had high hopes for it.

Yesterday, "Horizon". The formula from 1925 is allegedly unchanged (if that were possible? but maybe so if they say so). I was very pleased with "Horizon" ... it had an old-fashioned vintage vibe, pleasant as such as it seems typical, and at the same time it is modern. It has a cool vibe to it which menthol notes are disguised in a cloud of powder. Very wearable.

Now, today, the great moment - let's get a little spray of the much written about "Chypre Mousse". Well, if one wants to fantasize about a walk through a great forest, with light filtered by tall trees coming down, a wet ground laden with mushrooms, and the whole stillness of nature, I think I can connect and dream like that. "Enchanted Forest" by Vagabond Prince tried that, but not to my nose. Not at all. "Chypre Mousse" is outstanding in quality. Whether you like chypres or not, you will have to admit that. I feel immersed in nature. Not an every day perfume, rather an experience.

"Chypre Palatin" by MDCI Paris is somewhat similar in the muffled green notes with a steady companion of powder, and much more civilized. It is softer and rounder and could be worn elegantly anywhere.

"Chypre Mousse" is raw, untamed, not really civilized. I would not know which clothing wardrobe to match to it.
    Last edited by Ursula; 3rd December 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Today I received my sample set from Oriza L. Legrand. It came well packed and the inner envelope - closed with a nice monogrammed sticker - already smelled divine. I am really excited to test them.

Blog Entries

If you like vintage, all of the Oriza L. Legrand samples have that same Leitmotiv. I cannot quite put my finger on which note(s) exactly render that vintage feel. As far as wearing them everyday, only "Horizon" and "Deja Le Printemps" are modern. The other ones are more of a perfume experience ... to be part of. "Chypre Mousse" is especially demanding.

I felt extremely enthusiastic when I got my sample set and I thought that I was going to buy to or three bottles on the spot. I have had several rounds of testing since and I am a bit less certain now. To me, the most authentic vintage feel comes from Les Jardins d'Armide, which is also exceptionally strong and long lasting. However it is too feminine and too potent for me. Horizon is probably the one I like most at the moment, but it seems a bit more modern as a very pleasant gourmand and at the moment it is the only one that stayed on my wishlist for a whole bottle.
    I kept thinking about this vintage vibe - there is a very strong lead from the marketing, design and website in that direction, but I also feel that there is something authentic in all of the range and it is not easy to point out what that is. At the same time, there is also a modern treatment of Reve d'Ossian, Chypre Mousse, Deja le Printemps and Relique d'Amour as they are rather unconventional, experimental and bold.

Blog Entries

When I put on, "Horizon" and later on, "Deja le Printemps" ... I said to myself, "almost a Tauer". As if that hazy, muffled vibe (?powdery) - I lack the words here - describes the feeling.

Blog Entries

And not only that, another association just flashed through my scent memory mind. Vintage "Old Spice" ... yes, the type my father had on the bathroom shelf. That is this general "vintage feel" ... not modern and clean and brisk and bright. No, all of the Orizas are vintage struck.

Blog Entries

Oh dear, temptations abound. Now, on the website, they have a Limited Edition offer, about "Freshly Cut Hay". Only 100 bottles. Must I have one of those? Reason says, no. But take a look. (This User is not affiliated with Oriza L. Legrand.)

http://www.orizaparfums.com/foin_en.html

I would buy instead a full bottle of any other you like enough and ask for a sample of Foin, which I hope doesn't have too much clary sage.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Did anyone else sample these?

This house is now sold in NYC. One doesn't need to get them from their shop in Paris anymore.

Where in NY, Hednic? It's good to know!

Blog Entries

Where in New York City? And besides, they may not have the complete line. The online purchase is really very easy, prompt and lovingly packaged.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:05 PM.

Yeah, I tried FFC too, a soapy green accord from another era that lasts forever.

Muguet Fleuri seems (more) interesting.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Where in New York City? And besides, they may not have the complete line. The online purchase is really very easy, prompt and lovingly packaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Where in NY, Hednic? It's good to know!
    Juju S'amuse - Their Lexington Avenue store. They have the entire line except for Foin (limited edition) & Muguet (newest one)

Now also sold at Luckyscent except the newest one - Muguet!

Funny coincidence, I just purchased a sample set of their whole line for my silly reviews. Got quite mixed feelings from friends about their scents!
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    HermŔs - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

They have 2 new releases coming in a couple of weeks - Vetiver Royal Bourbon & Royal Oeillet.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Duran's Gloves View Post
    They have 2 new releases coming in a couple of weeks - Vetiver Royal Bourbon & Royal Oeillet.
    Actually there will be five new ones. The two you mentioned above +
    Marions-nous ( a floral aldehyde with blond tobacco), Violette du Czar (a very masculine and leathery violet) and Cuir de Russie.
    Last edited by hednic; 7th May 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Wow so many, new sample pack please!
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

yes i need new sample pack ...

Really interested in Royal Oeillet ( love carnation and can't wait to see how this one differs from the Oeillet Louis XV). Also the Violets as well as the floral aldehydes

I'm currently sitting here with an orgy of 6 of these samples on my arms. Oh, my! Here's a few quick thoughts:
    Deja Le Printemps - Very easy to wear green spring-like fragrance with a fresh and noticeable fig note. Reminds me a bit of Victrix with fig added. Very unisex. Friendly and likable.
    Horizon - Very masculine to my nose. TONS of patchouli with some cocoa that I catch now and then. The description of notes sounds like SL Borneo but it reminds me more of Mazzolari Lui. You've got to really love you some dirty patch to go with this one. As it develops, it becomes softer and a bit powderier.
    Chypre Mousse - Oh, my. This one comes out of the gate all bug-eyed and crazy. Very sharp and not conventionally pleasant to me. It's very earthy and extremely green but also had a harsh alcohol/turpentine quality for the first few minutes, almost a kind of insect repellant vibe. After a while, it settles down to become a very realistic green fragrance. It's not prettied up like Deja Le Printemps. I'll have to ponder this one for a while.
    Royal Oeillet - strong, soapy carnation. Unisex. Not much else to say about it.
    Reve d'Ossian - Very, very nice incense fragrance with some very well done wood notes and floral nuances. I could definitely see myself buying a bottle of this. The only issue is whether or not I'm enough of an incense whore to buy yet another incense fragrance. I don't know if there's much unique about it, but it's beautifully done. For comparative purposes, it's like a much less sweet Wazamba without the apple note. I much prefer Reve d'Ossian.
    Relique d'Amour - Well, this is another one that people should try. It has a very realistic clean white lily note along with some incense and woods. People have said it smells like an old church and they aren't kidding. I would say, however, that it smells like a beautifully smelling older woman in an old church, which makes it much less wearable for me. I think it would smell great on my mother, who is a fan of Passage d'Enfer. I'd say that if you took PdE and increased the white lily note, turned down the incense and added whatever creates the old pew accord in Avignon, this is what you'd have. As a man, I'll stick with passage d'Enfer when I want to wear something along these lines.

I ordered a sample set of the original set of scents and very much liked Relique d'Amour and Reve d'Ossian. Looking forward to trying the 5 new ones too, so happy to see them now at Luckyscent.

Well my sample set has not arrived yet and the folks very kindly offered to ship it out once again, with tracking, free of cost!

Am a bit overwhelmed at such generosity and a very happy customer! :-)

Nice polite conversation and a little bit of caring can do wonders in my books...probably will end up buying a bottle of chypre mousse or perhaps the limited edition one

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post
    Well my sample set has not arrived yet and the folks very kindly offered to ship it out once again, with tracking, free of cost!

Am a bit overwhelmed at such generosity and a very happy customer! :-)

Nice polite conversation and a little bit of caring can do wonders in my books...probably will end up buying a bottle of chypre mousse or perhaps the limited edition one

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
    Another company that has excellent customer service!

Ok to add to my previous comment...

I had ordered two sample sets which as per the website contains 7 samples from their total collection. However, it never arrived

The Oriza L. Legrand team not only shipped the same a second time immediately with tracking at their cost but also provided samples of ALL 8 PERFUMES available currently PLUS the THREE SPECIALS / NEW ONES.

All the samples came nicely wrapped together in a big box, carefully done and super fast delivery in two days!!! Maybe i should use more of La Poste delivery services if this is the speed!

2014-06-23 21.20.57.jpg

Left
    Foin Fraichement
    Muget Fleuri
    Vetiver Royal Bourbon

Right (two sample sets)
    Oeillet Louis XV
    Deja Le Printemps
    Reve d'Ossian
    Relique d'Amour
    Jardins D'Armide
    Chypre Mousse
    Horizon
    Royal Oeillet

Am simply over the moon! Finding it very difficult to start spraying all of these together to test them out hehe...patience oof!

P.S. The sample pack with the three specials/new ones...something in this one smells fantastic! A little similar to Maria Candida Gentile Gentile which makes me suspect its the Bourbon Royal Vetiver perhaps...totally out of this world scent! Or maybe its a mixture of all three

What i smell here is something creamy and a little powdery with hints of amber and vanilla but not like typical overpowering vanilla but something else...too bad am not able to define this better in my limited knowledge and experience!

Fantastic customer service from the Oriza L. Legrand team!

Note: Any spelling mistakes are my own and apologies in advance!
    Last edited by blackheart2925; 23rd June 2014 at 04:17 PM.

Sounds like one exuberant customer!

Blog Entries

Such customer service! It shows that they really care. This goes a long way, even just hearing about it.

I also really like this house... am curious to hear about the new ones by the way. I know they are at lucky scent, but haven't ordered samples... the vinaigre de toilette (on lucky scent site) looks interesting too by the way!