Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default What to get at Sephora...?

Here's a weird dilemma... A good friend of mine, out of nowhere, sent me $200 worth of gift certificates to Sephora knowing I enjoy fragrances, as a 'thank you' for some favor I apparently did in the past. While that's nice and appreciated, a favor for a friend doesn't call for a payment... a thank you note would have been more than fine. I tried to return them, but he insists on not taking them back.

So, now I have $200 to spend at Sephora... The "problem" is that they are kind of light on anything niche and I already own most of the designer fragrances (mens) they carry. So what on earth can I possibly spend this on? I know there are some fragrances they carry which are only available online, not in stores, so sometimes it feels like you have to "know" what they may have but is not advertised anywhere. So here's a short list of what I came up with that I don't have that may be worth getting:

1. Dior Homme - as I'm getting more interested in the iris note. I've been avoiding it for a looooong time but I think it's growing on me (I have a 10ml mini and have worn this one a few times already).

2. Something form Acqua di Parma - the only one I own so far is their Oud Concentree. They do not carry any of these in stores, but they do have Essenza available online (the black bottle one). I've tried it a few times in the past and I like it, so it wouldn't be a blind buy.

3. Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Fico Di Amalfi - would be a blind buy, but sounds interesting with the fig note going on.

4. Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee - I like and own many other Hermes releases, but none from the Un Jardin line. I'm pretty sure I've sampled this one before, but have no good recollection of what it was like. Similar to Fico Di Amalfi? This one is described as having fig leaf vs the fig fruit...

Between #3 and #4 - which would you pick if you were to pick just one?

Any other recommendations for little hidden gems they carry that you won't normally find in their stores? (like several of the L'Artisan Parfumer bottles, which I found out about a few months ago - had no idea they carried them - ended up buying Timbuktu)

So let your imagination go wild and help me spend $200 or so on something interesting at Sephora. ;-)

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What to get at Sephora...?

You don't "have" to get fragrance, unless you want to, of course.
    There's plenty of men's grooming products.
    I love the Clairsonic myself & the tooth whitening system they sell.
    Have fun!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Good suggestion, RHM.

You can get gifts for lady friends, perhaps.

You could buy Fracas. ;D That was the most interesting perfume I smelled there.

You could also look at the Tokyo Milk product line. My gf bought the Bulletproof hand cream and we both use it. There are fragrances in the line as well, though I didn't try them.

I like the Hermes Un Jardin line, but they are very fleeting on my skin and I never bought them.

I've never seen L'Artisan in my Sephora, I'll look closer next time. Thanks for the tip!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm a little overstocked on skincare, grooming, and hair products - so I'm trying to spend it on, well, fragrances... (we are on a fragrance board, after all).

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    I've never seen L'Artisan in my Sephora, I'll look closer next time. Thanks for the tip!
    That's the problem (you got it backwards) - they do NOT carry this line in stores, but they do have it available online. Same with Acqua di Parma, and possibly other lines that you won't find in their retail stores.

So any fragrance recommendations, or perhaps yay/nay from the very short list I created? Perhaps something else from the L'Artisan line? (I only have Timbuktu so far, and have not tried anything else from their line)

Of the two that you would consider, I would go with the Hermes. Do you have the possibility of trying both elsewhere before you make a final decision?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

My favorite L'Artisan's, other than Timbuktu:

Al Oudh
    Dzing! (controversial and possibly discontinued)
    Dzongkha
    Passage d'Enfer
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Neither if you don't have Eau savauge EDP...get it is a great scent and it reminded be of powerhouse of the 80's Farenheit vintage. The other one is un Jardin in Mediterranee which I've heard has an exquisite mango accord....Enjoy your gift certificate and let's us know, what your final haul....Enjoy and GodBless
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I agree with RHM - Clarisonics rock.

If you like anything from the Atelier line, they have those too.

(Don't forget to use eBates - and if you want to participate in the VIB sale PM me an email address that I can give to Sephora.)

http://www.sephoralove.ca/vib/?Mobil...57954:49294606
    Last edited by socalwoman; 10th November 2013 at 04:41 AM.

Sephora is a little depressing here in the US. I agree DH is probably the best one.

Btw Fico di Amalfi and Un jardin en M, I prefer the jardin. More complex, more floral, more green. And yes, it does have a clear vegetal note of fig leaf. But if I had to go with a fig, I'd rather have philosykos (which is not sold at sephora). In Hermes, there's also the new one, Jour d'H, which is the sublimation of Ellena's transparent floral style. And in the acqua di parma, essenza is not my favorite, I prefer the assoluta.

Didn't know Sephora carried some Ap. But the selection online seems very limited. My favorites (Dzing!, Safran Troublant, and patchouli patch) are not there.

You could also look into the feminines, the selection is limited there too, though. Kenzo Flower for a fresh summery thing. And I second Fracas, if you dare.

Finally, here's a grooming product that I suspect you don't have yet:
    http://www.sephora.com/wax-to-the-ma...?skuId=1412113

cacio

There's very little of interest there for men, unfortunately; it's mainly just the usual fragrance counter stuff. I try to check in at least once a month to keep up to speed on what's popular, but I generally find myself in the women's section more than the mens' as the selection tends to be much better.

But from the website:

Aromatix Elixir is pretty great
    YSL Opium is brilliant and has somewhat survived the IFRA
    Shalimar (it's sort of Shalimar-esque)
    L'Artisan Timbuktu (get another bottle!) and Fou d'Absinthe
    Hermes is very solid if it's your thing (I'm not much of an Ellena fan, but TdH is solid)
    Atelier's vetiver and amber might be worth a sniff. The vetiver's not bad, but I find the whole line to be watery
    It looks like Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino is carried there now. Not the best in its field, but decent quality
    Bulgari Black is sort of a staple (although you probably already own it)
    The AdP Oud isn't bad, as far as synth-ouds go -- I think you mentioned that one
    Tokyo Milk Bulletproof, Crushed, and Excess are cheapies, but they're kind of fun
    Fresh Sake and Cannabis are worth a sniff (although I find them sickly)

It looks like they've got Nest now. I only smelled them in passing at Neimen's, but they might worth some exploration.

I would get Tom Ford Neroli Portofino which they have in their store. As far as the Acqua Di Parma goes, I would either get Essenza or if you are interested in their blue line go for Mirto Di Panarea. Beautiful invigorating scent. I like Fico Di Amalfi but it is very fleeting. I can barely smell it by the time I walk out my door.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Of the two that you would consider, I would go with the Hermes. Do you have the possibility of trying both elsewhere before you make a final decision?
    Well I could go to the local Hermes store to try Un Jardin En Mediterranee again, then to Neiman Marcus to try Blu Mediterraneo Fico Di Amalfi, but I'd feel like cheating then, if I went to order these from Sephora instead. Call me silly, I just find this type of practice a little wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    My favorite L'Artisan's, other than Timbuktu:

Al Oudh
    Dzing! (controversial and possibly discontinued)
    Dzongkha
    Passage d'Enfer
    Unfortunately their selection of L'Artisan is pretty weak - of all these, they only carry Timbuktu (which I already own). If they carried Dzing and Dzongkha, I'd get them both - I have samples and they are great. Al Oudh - I'll have to seek a sample - sounds interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Neither if you don't have Eau savauge EDP
    Already got it - love the myrrh in it!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    If you like anything from the Atelier line, they have those too.

(Don't forget to use eBates - and if you want to participate in the VIB sale [...]
    I have Grand Neroli - nice one. I have samples of all others, but none of them really spoke to me much (other than GN).

VIB - yup, I'm on their mailing list, just got an email couple days ago about 20% off sale on everything - so that's double bonus ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Btw Fico di Amalfi and Un jardin en M, I prefer the jardin.
    Awesome, I was leaning towards this one as well, mostly because I love most Hermes fragrances and I'm a fan of JCE releases, so I'm comfortable ordering this one blind. I have a sample of Sur le Nil on my desk right now, sadly not Un Jardin en MediterranÚe, but I think I vaguely recall its green notes and I think this may be a good one for our warm southern California days.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Finally, here's a grooming product that I suspect you don't have yet:
    http://www.sephora.com/wax-to-the-ma...?skuId=1412113
    LOL, you're right!! I do prefer some basic manscaping though - some hair (just under control) is a Good Thing!! I've tried shaving it all but, I then felt like I was 12 all over again, and, well, I think I'll stick with my bracket age. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Aromatix Elixir is pretty great
    YSL Opium is brilliant and has somewhat survived the IFRA
    Shalimar (it's sort of Shalimar-esque)
    L'Artisan Timbuktu (get another bottle!) and Fou d'Absinthe
    Hermes is very solid if it's your thing (I'm not much of an Ellena fan, but TdH is solid)
    Atelier's vetiver and amber might be worth a sniff. The vetiver's not bad, but I find the whole line to be watery
    It looks like Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino is carried there now. Not the best in its field, but decent quality
    Bulgari Black is sort of a staple (although you probably already own it)
    The AdP Oud isn't bad, as far as synth-ouds go -- I think you mentioned that one
    Tokyo Milk Bulletproof, Crushed, and Excess are cheapies, but they're kind of fun
    Fresh Sake and Cannabis are worth a sniff (although I find them sickly)

It looks like they've got Nest now. I only smelled them in passing at Neimen's, but they might worth some exploration.
    Good suggestions. I have most of these, including the gorgeous Neroli Portofino (I love Tom Ford and own most of his stuff already). I'm with you on Atelier - I have samples of all of them, and the only one I found interesting, personally, was Grand Neroli - the most complex and the least "watery." Too bad they don't carry more L'Artisan - that would make it easier for me to pick something new and different. I briefly tried Tokyo Milk, couple of them anyway, recommended by a guy working at Sephora - very interesting, and definitely unisex. Don't know anything about Nest - I may stop by and check it out - thanks for the suggestions!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodrocks View Post
    I would get Tom Ford Neroli Portofino which they have in their store. As far as the Acqua Di Parma goes, I would either get Essenza or if you are interested in their blue line go for Mirto Di Panarea. Beautiful invigorating scent. I like Fico Di Amalfi but it is very fleeting. I can barely smell it by the time I walk out my door.
    Neroli Portofino - got it (and love it!). Mirto Di Panarea vs Fico Di Amalfi - sounds like I should perhaps try to get samples of these two first - they both sound interesting, but reviews are mixed. See, most people think Mirto Di Panarea is the more fleeting one... (just going by reviews). I may play it safe and stick with Hermes Jardin line, for a similar vibe. Or Essenza - I've tried it and found it to be a nice refreshing scent, very classy/classic, delicate yet very masculine.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions! I'll try to make up my mind by tomorrow, before the 20% off sale ends.

Not a fan of Voyage d'Hermes? They cary the more expensive EdP there. TF Grey Vetiver, too, though my guess is you own it already.

But yeah, you can easily spend $200 on non-fragrance there. The Molton Brown bodywashes are superb, and at $30 a pop you can spend half your gift by buying 3 of their best products. The Black Peppercorn and Suma Ginseng are well worth it.

Anthony, Jack Black, and Kiel's make some nice pricey stuff too that I'd normally not treat myself to; something like a nice shave soap could be cool. A true "gift" since it's something you'd not normally be into.

Basenotes Plus

Sadly (because I love most Hermes fragrances) Voyage is the only fragrance I've tried in my entire life that I simply cannot handle. There's something in it, some ingredient, that doesn't agree with me one bit, or perhaps I'm seriously allergic to. It literally is nauseating and nearly vomit inducing. I know, I know, many people love this one, alas, I get the same reaction from both the EDT and EDP. I'm not being "overly dramatic" - it really doesn't agree with me. I've tried it a few times, I have samples of both at home, but every time I spray them I have to make a run to the bathroom and scrub like I've never scrubbed before, before I throw up. On the other end of the Hermes spectrum - Bel Ami or TdH or Eau d'Orange Verte for example - I could bathe in those if I could (and in fact, I have their entire body wash/shampoo/deodorant/after-shave/lotion products, they are so good).

TF Extreme, Grey Vetiver, Neroli Portofino - I have them all. Big fan of TF products (well, most of them).

Molton Brown - can't see it online at all, must be an in-store-only line...?

Funny you mentioned Jack Black and Anthony - I have a bunch of their products, I think I went through a "phase" last year where I bought just about everything they had, especially from the Anthony Logistics line. Great products.

But this is good - this reminded me that Sephora carries The Art Of Shaving products, too, which I love and use virtually every day. Their sandalwood pre-shave oil and shaving creams are awesome - my favorite shaving companions. I have not stocked up on these, so I'll grab some. Thanks all for steering me to something other than just fragrances. ;-)

Go in there and sample away first. One great thing about Sephora, you can get samples in their stores.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    You don't "have" to get fragrance, unless you want to, of course.
    There's plenty of men's grooming products.
    I love the Clairsonic myself & the tooth whitening system they sell.
    Have fun!
    Does the tooth whitening system actually work? I think it was around $200 right? I am really interested in it if it works!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Tom Ford Noir de Noir if they stock it

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Go in there and sample away first. One great thing about Sephora, you can get samples in their stores.
    That's the problem - they only carry more mainstream releases and I already own virtual all they have on the shelves. Hence why I was looking for something they do carry, but only online - things that are slightly more niche(ish). They do carry some L'Artisan, Acqua di Parma, Hermes, etc, which you will not find in their stores.

Quote Originally Posted by j.boyd919 View Post
    Does the tooth whitening system actually work?
    I've tried a couple in the past, and did not find them giving me noticeable difference. Perhaps you have to use them consistently for much longer than they advertise, ie: one week is really not long enough. If it's $200, I'd save that money and get my dentist to do a better job once a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir if they stock it
    The only one from the Private Blend they carry is Neroli Portofino (already own it). NdN is great, I love it.

So, update - I did place my order. Got Dior Homme, just because iris is growing on me. Got Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee, as I like most Hermes releases (other than Voyage) and do not have anything from the Jardin line yet. And stocked up on The Art of Shaving products (pre-shave oil and shaving cream, both in sandalwood - my favorite from their line, and unscented after-shave). Gift certs spent (and then some). Thanks all for your suggestions and help. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    So, update - I did place my order. Got Dior Homme, just because iris is growing on me. Got Hermes Un Jardin En Mediterranee, as I like most Hermes releases (other than Voyage) and do not have anything from the Jardin line yet. And stocked up on The Art of Shaving products (pre-shave oil and shaving cream, both in sandalwood - my favorite from their line, and unscented after-shave).
    I'd say you did very well!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.