Code of Conduct

Default Do you REALLY like it...or are you forcing yourself to like it?

This post is about being honest with yourself...

Are there bottles in your stash that you wanted to like, but didn't- for whatever reason? Could be any number of things that put you in this denial...and you convince yourself that it's worth another try every time you see it (and pass over it when you want something different). Here are some reasons and examples in my own collection.:

Niche - cost a lot and can't admit it's not great - Creed Tabarome. I like it, but for 350 (impulse at NM) it is roughly the same to my nose as Ice Men (Mugler, $50) and my wife hates it.

You like the house, and wouldn't admit that they failed - Tom Ford Noir...paid full price and liked it for the first few wearings...then only wore it at night to remind myself why it doesn't get more use.

Other frags are similar, and based on notes...it was a safe blind buy - Habit Rouge. Interesting frag, and bought based on love of Heritage. Only wear to bed occasionally. A bit mature for me.

Great reviews on BN -Quorum. Hate it...wore it once to a party. Offensive and loud. Only pull it out for company meetings when I want to make sure it stays short. Co-workers hate it...and that's the only reason I keep it.

Packaging was cool - Hugo Red...frag smells a bit like pee to my nose.

People compliment it, and you only wear it around around those people. - Sung Homme. Lady at church digs it...and I only wear it because she likes to hug me - and tell me how good I smell. She is 80 (easily).

Hyped in a forum - Azzaro PH. I thought it was going to make me do back flips. ApH is worn as bug spray these days.

any thoughts?
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Default Re: Do you REALLY like it...or are you forcing yourself to like it?

If I don't like it I don't buy it. In the case of blind buys, if I don't like them, I don't keep them. Simple as that.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

I can totally relate to these feelings. Honestly I usually give a fragrance two weeks to really earns its place in my wardrobe once I've started to second guess it. Sometimes that's as soon as I've received it (blind buys) or after having worn it for a while and changing my opinion on it. Ultimately these scents renew their place or get weeded out. I'm constantly interested in trying new things so I have no place in my collection for "dead weight".
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garçons
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9
    Soon to include "Ab Spirit Silver"

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Interesting post in my opinion. especially with expensive stuff I can imagine it may be hard to admit that a fragrance doesnt work for you (At least I dont worry much about a very cheap Royal Copenhagen bottle sitting on the shelf and never being used). I have a liter bottle of Eau Sauvage and I think I regret having bought it. I like Eau Sauvage but will not need a liter bottle. So now, occasionally I spray it on to assure myself I do like it and that it wasnt a fail. Perhaps Ill like it more in summer and at least Ill be able to wear it my entire life.
    "Forcing yourself" to like something is not always a bad thing for me by the way: you may end up truly liking it, whereas you might have given up too early otherwise.

Self inflicted Stockholm Syndrome lol

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

I'm with you on this. Giorgio BH is currently on my "on the fence" list. Derby has been for a while. Even GIT, I have a hard time getting through the top notes. But all have aspects I can't leave (for now). Luckily all but GIT are decants (my second Derby).

Love your Quorum bad ass in mtg strategy. No on the fence with Quorum for me - love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    If I don't like it I don't buy it. In the case of blind buys, if I don't like them, I don't keep them. Simple as that.
    If I felt this way, I would not have most of the stuff in my regular rotation. Hated A*Men enough that I eventually came to lover it. Disliked Platinum Egoiste at first and its my favorite summer frag. I guess I am hoping that the same will happen with the other ones I mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    I'm with you on this. Giorgio BH is currently on my "on the fence" list. Derby has been for a while. Even GIT, I have a hard time getting through the top notes. But all have aspects I can't leave (for now). Luckily all but GIT are decants (my second Derby).

Love your Quorum bad ass in mtg strategy. No on the fence with Quorum for me - love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That Quorum review of mine is completely honest. I just don't get the hype.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Speaking only for myself, if I collect a certain house, I will buy it. Simple as that. If it's not a house I collect, I will often try it if the opportunity presents itself, might even seek it out, may or may not like it, but would never consider adding it to my collection. Just me. (304)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

In my personal opinion, there are few fragrances I actually do NOT like- thus I tend to be upfront about it and simply avoid buying them. In my case, the problem is quite an opposite one. I sometimes have to force myself almost not to like that many fragrances, otherwise I get stuck with a fragrance wishlist/shopping list almost impossible to fully put into practice.

I have made some blind buys that I regret for sure. I sold just a few of them. The others I hang onto just in case my feelings change, or I want to refer back to it for reference, or whatever.

I never try force myself to like something -- I simply admit that it wasn't the best move on my part, and throw it in with the rest of my collection, hoping it will turn into something magical someday...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. Puredistance - Black

5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

If I don't like it enough to wear it then out it goes. Considering that I have enough bottles that I love to keep me in perfume until I'm 218 years old, I think life is too short to try and force myself to like anything.

i guess my bottles of Nicole Farhi PH, Kenzoair (aftershave), Pure Malt and a vintage bottle of YSL Pour Homme fit that category, though I paid very little for any of them so not a big deal.

If I don't think I like something I'll wear it several more times to see if I come around to it, but after that, if it still doesn't click, it goes.

No sense in holding onto something you won't use, especially when you have a bunch of other options. Even with the "classics" or really popular scents--they're not meant for everybody--and in the end it's about establishing your own taste.

I will say the one fragrance which I'm constantly vacillating between love and aversion is LIDGE. There are times when I think it smells fantastic, and I'm so happy to have it. Then there are other times where I think it smells awful, and wonder what I was thinking the last time I wore it. As a result, I've probably bought and sold LIDGE about 8 times.

Good topic.

I will make an analogy to a first round NFL or NBA draft pick. That person keeps getting second chances and third chances even when their efforts haven't met expectations. That as compared to a 8th round draft pick, who if they don't deliver gets cut from the team.

An example for me is Habit Rouge. I keep trying it over and over, thinking maybe the next time I will appreciate it. Yet each time I am unsatisfied. I'm wondering what I'm missing. And I still don't like it lol. Dated scent and I don't get the lemony vanilla goodness others describe. But it's Habit Rouge! So I try again. Where as I smell 24 Scent Gold, which had gotten some hype on here. But I think it smells like garbage, and throw it away cause it costs $10 and named after a TV show. No second or third chances - it sucks lol.

With the habit of buying blind, I some times get what I cannot call love at first sniff, I would stay with it a couple of days, if it does not turns out well then it'll be on its way

Not yet. I have found some I've learned to appreciate as my nose has developed, and I've become more familiar with notes, but many I wanted to love and were excited about just let me down.
    Last edited by rouj; 12th November 2013 at 03:01 PM.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

I really don't wear it much if I don't like it. I have enough bottles to keep me busy with scents I really like. On the other hand, Im good at hoarding bottles that I know I probably wont wear in my lifetime. I just cant bring myself to get rid of them.......

Nope, in the present moment 0 amount of frags that I hate: reason being is that I commit myself to do A diligent Serious Home Work before I commit my US Dollars on particular juice and I'm kind of analytical at studying frag before obtaining FB, and always sample out ,when reaching a stalemate regardless, if the ? Is to get or not to get....Lol. Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Indeed...Habit Rouge is an enigma. It's legendary - but so was Liberace and I never got him either, though I thought he had unreal talent.
    And with HR, I will acknowledge it's craftsmanship and place in history...but wearing it now makes me sad. I'll probably keep it around, but I can't pull it off.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Varvatos-Happy-arabian Nights-Pure Shot

a few more but definitely those 4

Blog Entries

After trying it in both hot and cold weather, and I still don't love it, I sell it. That happened with Serge Lutens Chergui, Bvlgari Black, and ALMOST Chanel Coromandel. It took me 6 months for that me to reach that OMG moment with Coromandel. I'm going to keep it now.

Just got Dzing! and I'm not sure. It's almost the same as Bvlgari Black, so if I don't like it after a few months I will sell it.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

The initial spray of Encre Noire. Just something about that first 10 minutes that doesn't do it for me.

Basenotes Plus

Well, we do fall in and out of love with fragrances. That's why we have The Marketplace. I used to enjoy MFK Cologne Pour Le Soir and APOM Homme but lately I find them somewhat cloying and synthetic, especially when humidity levels are up. I'm leaving them aside for a few months and perhaps return to them when the weather improves.

I agree that life is awfully short to make yourself try to like a scent. I have too many good ones for that. I guess that's why I've managed to pare down to 26 from a previous high of around 60. I give a cologne about 3 wears...if it does not click by then, then adios!

I have about 2 or so right now that are on the witness stand...we'll see if they can bear up under the pressure. Nothing is worse than wearing a scent all day long and hating it, or even feeling meh about it, for snobs like us. Did someone say Tahitian Waters?

Hrmmm generally I think its sorta a fight of do I like it enough to buy it. A lot of fragrances are just ok for me. Ill give out to pretty regularly liked ones aventus and MI. I dont REALLY like them, just like them. And once I started collecting cologne on a small level I realized even if I like something a lot I still get bored if I wear it often. So I like to have different kind of stuff to wear as its more fun and keeps it from getting boring.

The opposite really, I'm trying to force myself to dislike some enough to part with them.

If I don't like something I don't try very hard to change my mind. It's more often the case that I like something in the beginning, as it is new to me, then tire of it after a while or find flaws after repeated wear.

Ah, liking or not liking a scent isn't that simple for me. Some fragrances I like to smell from my wrist but never wear it. Some smell great but get tiring in a long run. Some I like and wear often but never really love. Some scents I like in a more detached and intellectual way. Some has great top and less impressive base or vice versa. Some scents I only want to wear once a year or so. Then there are fragrances I love but never wear because some superior fragrance fills similar craving. I could go on and on. I'm all the time on the fence about around ten fragrances in my 'drobe for one reason or another.

So, I'm not forcing myself, but I have other problems when it comes to liking or not liking a fragrance enough.

I guess the reason I brought it up is that BN is a hype machine and I see people change their minds on stuff over time.
    Encre Noir is a good example. Aventus too. There is a group think element in this community that probably causes some dishonesty.
    I may hate something...but then I read a thoughtful review about it and try to see the other side. Maybe my nose isn't ready for Habit Rouge...or maybe it just stinks like an old lady and others are just saying they enjoy it so that they can fit in. I have noticed alot of experts lately that were not here a year ago...

What I find amusing is that not long ago I was criticized on BN for not trying Cool Water for a few weeks straight, which is something I don't do with any scent because I know it will soon nauseate me, even if it is one of my favorites! I wrote up a humorous (at least to me) blog post about it, suggesting that it is like asking a heterosexual to try gay sex, over and over again. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not doing that, just as I will not wear a scent I dislike over and over again. Instead, I do try a scent over a long period of time, whenever I think there is a chance I might like it I've done this perhaps five (or more) times with Cool Water and never liked it. I've done this with Patou Pour Homme, too, and never thought much of it, at least relative to the high prices. If I owned it before prices skyrocketed I know I would have swapped it off anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    What I find amusing is that not long ago I was criticized on BN for not trying Cool Water for a few weeks straight, which is something I don't do with any scent because I know it will soon nauseate me, even if it is one of my favorites! I wrote up a humorous (at least to me) blog post about it, suggesting that it is like asking a heterosexual to try gay sex, over and over again. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not doing that, just as I will not wear a scent I dislike over and over again. Instead, I do try a scent over a long period of time, whenever I think there is a chance I might like it I've done this perhaps five (or more) times with Cool Water and never liked it. I've done this with Patou Pour Homme, too, and never thought much of it, at least relative to the high prices. If I owned it before prices skyrocketed I know I would have swapped it off anyway..
    Really? People didn' t find that humorous? I can't imagine why. Richard Cohen, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post

Whatever it was, it was in poor & inconsiderate taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Really? People didn' t find that humorous? I can't imagine why. Richard Cohen, is that you?
    kagey , it's ok.
    Bigsly doesn't like top notes.

for swap/sale:

I love absolutely everything I have. It's been a very long time since I've bought something I didn't like, apart from last week when I sort of blind bought DHI. I'll never do that again!! Tried it once, thought it stank and had it on ebay the next day.

The only other fragrance I can remember buying years ago and not liking was Kouros.

Life's too short.

Swap, sell, bin.

Job jobbed.

Niche - I haven't bought anything in this category i didn't truly love.

You like the house, and wouldn't admit that they failed - This one is funny, but i have never done a "mercy purchased"

Other frags are similar, and based on notes...it was a safe blind buy - Kokorico. Its really bad. It looked good on paper!

Great reviews on BN - LIDGE

Packaging was cool - I've never bought anything because it had cool packaging!

People compliment it, and you only wear it around around those people. - I bought a flacon of Neroli Portofino because my fiance goes nuts for it! I do love it, but a 100ML bottle would have been good enough

Hyped in a forum - Again, LIDGE. Never have i been more disappointed. First and Last time i allowed reviews and "hype" to dictate a purchase.