Code of Conduct

Default New limited edition from John Varvatos : Artisan Acqua

john-varvatos-artisan-acqua.jpg

"From the start, we’ve always tried to go back to making fragrances the way they used to be made — all by hand, with the best ingredients in the world, artisanal fragrances with smaller batches," Varvatos said on the set of the ad shoot for his new men’s fragrance.

"If we feel there’s a need and there’s something new to say, we’ll do it," he added, drawing a sharp contrast with some companies that regularly pump out product to satiate their P&L. "It’s really more ‘Are we missing something? Is there a customer we’re not talking to?"

Artisan Acqua is the fifth Varvatos scent and the third in his Artisan pillar. The designer’s first signature fragrance bowed in March 2004, followed by Vintage in August 2006, Artisan in March 2009 and Artisan Black in April 2010. As he has done with all of his previous fragrances, the designer collaborated with Rodrigo Flores-Roux, senior perfumer at Givaudan. Varvatos asserts that this highly unusual practice of sticking with one perfumer gives his scents a cohesive point of view. "He’s very intimate with my brand," said Varvatos. "When we talk about a new fragrance, we start off by saying, ‘What’s the message we want? Where are you dreaming of with this fragrance?’ He’s like a psychiatrist in that regard."

artisan_bottle.jpg

The Mediterranean-inspired fragrance’s top notes are of tangelo, mandarin, paradisamide*, galbanum, lentisque and angelica root;
    the heart is of clary sage, lavender, coriander, toscanol*, basil, geranium, palmarosa and jasmine sambac, and the drydown is of moss, patchouli and fir balsam.

The flask-like glass bottle has a handwoven twine covering. "Every one is slightly different," said the designer, adding that the coverings are woven directly on the bottle itself.

*Paradisamide: fresh tropical fruit note of guava and passion fruit with nuances of grapefruit, rhubarb and cassis.
    *Toscanol: sweet-spicy note of licorice with touch of saffron, myrtle, opoponax.

Sources: beautyscene.net, wwd.com
    ----------------------------------

Artisan is a favourite of mine, a lovely orange scent with creamy woods. Not sure if the new one speaks to me but the bottle looks fantastic.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Default Re: New limited edition from John Varvatos : Artisan Acqua

Wow the bottle looks amazing! I like all of Varvatos' fragrances except Star USA... looking forward to trying this one, although my hopes aren't high for the longevity...

Interesting bottle for sure.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

In a sea of oud lately, it's quite refreshing to see someone release an aquatic

Blog Entries

Nice. I will want to sniff this for sure. And on a component note, I love both toscanol and paradisamide. Toscanol just smells good to me at a fundamental level, and paradisamide is the banned anabolic steroid of fruit notes. Very good, and incredibly persistent. Thanks for the heads-up.

Certainly something out of left field, and just when you think the Artisan bottle can't get more interesting, it does..lol. The notes certainly look interesting too, I can't see how those notes could be aquatic, so it's a must try for me!
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post

"From the start, we’ve always tried to go back to making fragrances the way they used to be made — all by hand, with the best ingredients in the world, artisanal fragrances with smaller batches," Varvatos said on the set of the ad shoot for his new men’s fragrance....
    It's always nice to have some good comic relief on here. That whole blurb was funny, but this above is just plain hilarious.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Interesting. Will have to check this one out. Sample Alert!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I will pass

I love Varvatos persistence to stay with it, and I do admire his design aesthetic in men's fashion. He really gets subtlety and nuance as well as any designer. He will have a winner, sooner or later, so I can't wait to try this new "limited edition". My favorite fragrance of his is Artisan - its an everyman scent, with the orange and dry base, but I really like it. Hope this one works too.

I personally like most Varvatos fragrances. Too bad none of them seem to have decent longevity. He needs to step up his game and release parfum strength scents.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Artisan is a nice fragrance though very fleeting, but the abomination that is John Varvatos USA pretty much killed my liking of their fragrances. Nice bottle but I am quite sure the fragrance will be lackluster.

Think I will pass as well, but Artisan is an awesome freshener for my bathroom. I spray it in there ever time I'm done cleaning. Lasts a few days.

Blog Entries

I got a sample of this, and I like it better than Artisan, for what that's worth. I'm not sure if it's aquatic with a touch of green, or green with a touch of aquatic, but it's subtle, yet noticeable and persistent. The woody notes are nice - not too dry, not too weak, not too strong, not too synthetic. Reminds me in some ways of a greener and more tropical version of L'eau d'Issey. Nice spring scent. I like this one quite a bit.

Banned

Tried this in Macy's/Dillard's/etc. and liked it but wound up buying another bottle of Aventus instead.

Call me old fashioned....

I'll wait till it's at TJ MAXX or other discounters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USAFammo9 View Post
    I'll wait till it's at TJ MAXX or other discounters.
    Smart move!

My discounters NEVER have Varvatos, so I'll just have to fork over, unless I get over the scent. That's always a possibility, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I got a sample of this, and I like it better than Artisan, for what that's worth. I'm not sure if it's aquatic with a touch of green, or green with a touch of aquatic, but it's subtle, yet noticeable and persistent. The woody notes are nice - not too dry, not too weak, not too strong, not too synthetic. Reminds me in some ways of a greener and more tropical version of L'eau d'Issey. Nice spring scent. I like this one quite a bit.
    Thanks for the details, I'll see if Sephora has it to sample soon.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I really like almost all JV scents - but the softer ones (Artisan & Artisan Black) are quite fleeting. I am really wanting to try this one!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Thanks for the details, I'll see if Sephora has it to sample soon.
    No problem! They were the ones I got mine from, and they gladly made me a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I really like almost all JV scents - but the softer ones (Artisan & Artisan Black) are quite fleeting. I am really wanting to try this one!
    This one is really interesting. Personally, I think it's more subtle than either Artisan or Artisan Black, but the persistence is probably greater and smoother. My bet is that Rodrigo came up with a nice accord with paradisamide and something - maybe a calone-type thing - that just lasts and lasts, and holds its form. I've gotten pure paradisamide on a blotter before, and damn if it doesn't stick like glue.

Here's a great little interactive web app that talks about it. Be sure to click on all three active "G" symbols after going to the language of choice.

http://www.givaudan.com/staticweb/St...s/Ingredients/

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Here's a great little interactive web app that talks about it. Be sure to click on all three active "G" symbols after going to the language of choice.

http://www.givaudan.com/staticweb/St...s/Ingredients/
    Very interesting - Thanks for sharing. Modern chemistry is really changing the industry - we are going to have to re-think the idea of "notes" in the future, when fragrances smell completely unlike anything in nature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Very interesting - Thanks for sharing. Modern chemistry is really changing the industry - we are going to have to re-think the idea of "notes" in the future, when fragrances smell completely unlike anything in nature.
    Yes - I agree - it's all about reference, and our references are changing. Oddly, though, nature still seems like the ultimate reference. All these things that smell good, smell like a kind of alternate biology. But I agree - eventually, certain components simply become more meaningful than the fruit-bowl they smell like. I do appreciate that some of these components are getting named aloud - they simply smell great.

Another one I like is aprifloren. Is it a fruit? A flower? Or a month?

I will have to check this one out. I will admit I like all the offerings in the Varvatos line but all are so fleeting on my skin that I can't warrant purchasing a bottle.

Frankly speaking I'm not delighted with the new Acqua version. At first, it has no relation to the regular Artisan. At second, it smells quite dated like a typical green cologne from 80's dilluted by modern molecules. In the dry down Acqua smells soapy reminding any other shave gel.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Frankly speaking I'm not delighted with the new Acqua version. At first, it has no relation to the regular Artisan. At second, it smells quite dated like a typical green cologne from 80's dilluted by modern molecules. In the dry down Acqua smells soapy reminding any other shave gel.
    Finally smelled this today and this is pretty much exactly what I thought. On first sniff it instantly reminded me of my Gillete Fusion Proglide shave gel. I am disappoint. Had high hopes for this one. Even so, damn, that bottle is NICE.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    I decided to break out both my regular Artisan and my Bulgari Aqua to wear those and see what I thought. I have to admit, I like regular Artisan better on green, and Bulgari Aqua better on aquatic. Not really sure where this one fits in. I'll have to give the rest of my sample a wear or two. This isn't a bad fragrance to me, but it has to compete with Dior Homme Eau and maybe some other offerings for my spring wardrobe. And that's not to mention niche like Sugi and some other new CdGs.

The scent strip in a magazine makes this smell like an eighties throw back scent. Very nice in an old fashioned way. I'd have to do a skin test in the spring.

Sniffed briefly on a strip at Sephora, and liked it. Took a sample home. Will test wear when it's a little warmer.

Basenotes Plus

Got a generous sample at Sephora. This, for some weird reason, reminds me of Bond's Brooklyn.... How are you guys doing with longevity and projection department?

Tried this today, can't say that I was wowed by the initial notes. Walked around for a bit and returned to the store because I fell in love with the midnotes and how it wore on me.

In fact, it's not too surprising, but I have/own Artisan Black and Artisan, however this one has a bit more longevity than those two. Reminds me of something I've smelled ages ago though, but lighter.

I tried this today, and I'm very impressed! It's quite different from Artisan. I see what Anton is saying with the 80s vibe, It definitely has something a little old school about it, but it simply smells great. Not at all what I was expecting from Varvatos. I'm pleasently surprised.

I also tried Dior Homme Eau and Atelier Cedrat Enivrant today and the Varvatos was by far my fav of the 3. Again, I'm very surprised as I'm a huge fan of Atelier and Dior Homme.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 16th March 2014 at 06:35 PM.