Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How many colognes do you have? And do you rotate between scents?

Around 160 fragrances. However, I rotate only between ca. 20 of them. This leads me to the conclusion to terminate my collection someday. Or keep it for sentimental reasons? I don't see the collection as "money reserve", but maybe it could be useful to "simplify".

North of 100. I segment my collection into warm and cool weather. I further break it down by casual and more formal wear. I never wear a fragrance two days in a row, rarely wear the same fragrance more than twice in a month.

Hi, I own about 100 bottles - and I use to rotate maybe 30 to 40. Some more frequently than most of the others. It`s mostly an intuitive thing. There are scents (I think 10+/-) that I wear nearly signature-like and others like once or twice a year. But then I`m glad it HAS to be this scent and I own it.

I wonder if there`s some biorythmic element to this - I bet there will again be a sunny morning in late september when I crave my Tom Ford for Men; again a rainy early spring day when Maroussia comes to mind or one period when days get colder and some Bandit-freshness does the trick like NO GOD DAMN OTHER perfume around. I`ve checked this over the years after it always felt like some déjà-vu (while wearing the same stuff on other days in the circle of the months doesn`t do so). One nearly could use a calendar to pre-estimate or something ... it`s pretty weird :-)
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

A few bottles over 400 for men, 42 unisex and 89 for women.

I rotate based on notes or scent family. It helps me understand the nuances of fragrance composition, which fragrances I find superior and which garners the most attention/compliment.

For example, I am currently rocking Cerruti 1881, Hugo Boss No. 1, Jean Arthes La Voile Rouge and Tenere (myfav) by Paco Rabanne. These are similar yet different.

Other times I might focus on vetiver, and wear nothing but vetiver based fragrances. I also let the weather determine my rotation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    1,636 currently and I rotate as much as I can.
    Wow!
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticatedscent View Post
    North of 100. I segment my collection into warm and cool weather. I further break it down by casual and more formal wear. I never wear a fragrance two days in a row, rarely wear the same fragrance more than twice in a month.
    My approach too. 119 frags today, with my eye on a few more each season.

I keep two large bins in my closet, broken down into warm and cool weather. That's pretty much the only seasonal differences we experience in Houston.

Each weekend, I look over my schedule for the week coming up, and I pull out those that seem good candidates to wear for that week, based primarily on weather and occasions. I keep 7 or 8 on top of my dresser, and I grab one of them daily, which is usually decided in the morning as I'm getting dressed. I try to not wear one frag twice in a row. I'll frequently wear one in the morning for the day, then another if I go out in the evening. In reality, I probably rotate about 30 regularly, and I try to mix the others in for variety.

Honestly, I have way more than I can reasonably justify already, I have no idea how a lot of you guys with the uber-collections manage to figure it out. Not that I'm not still jealous...

I'm somewhere around the 140-150 mark now on full bottles, while I also have many samples. I definitley rotate frequently, but sometimes I go on small binges with something. For example, I have been wearing CK Be out the ass lately.. mostly because it doesn't last very long so I keep reapplying it.. but I have gone through nearly half of a 3.4 oz bottle in about a month, which is insane with a collection my size.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

50 -60 and a handful of samples. I wear them in constant rotation based on season usually. Lately been wearing Knize Ten most often.

Bottles alone about 121
    Decants and Travel size sprays (35)
    156 all together

At a rough guess I have around a hundred.....I lost track somewhat when we 'lost' our wardrobes on here, and I'm overdue a catch-up exercise now they're back! And yes, I rotate. But that's not to say I won't sometimes wear the same scent several days running.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Around 30 currently. I rotate primarily based on season, giving a secondary consideration to occasion.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
    I thought I'd be to embarrassed to say 50 or 60 but I still starting out compared to some of you fragrancemisters...
    I know. I am so comforted when I read these posts. My less than 30 bottle collection pales in comparison, and frankly that makes me very pleased.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Around 200 bottles. I wear whatever I want to wear, usually 2 to 4 fragrances daily, no set rotation.

I've got around 100 right now and just randomly grab and spray. The only thing I won't do is wear any scent two days in a row, gotta switch it up and have variety!

I've got close to 150. However 15% of those are back up bottles if various favorites I have.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I know. I am so comforted when I read these posts. My less than 30 bottle collection pales in comparison, and frankly that makes me very pleased.
    You just wait...I thought I had a collection when I had 30 bottles, then I woke one day and I had 100. Then 300. And I still don't have enough.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

I currently own 11 bottles (i give away anything I don't love).

Seeing as how I live in the caribbean, I tend to rotate based on mainly two factors: 1. Time of day (day fragrance vs night fragrance, some work for both) and 2. What I'll be doing (which in turn affects what I'll be wearing clothing-wise and the vibe I'm going after). I use fragrances to accent my actual wardrobe. If I wear a grey suit/white shirt to work, chances are I'll wear Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. If I'm going to a dressy club, I might go for Spicebomb. Casual night out, maybe Bleu de Chanel. Somewhat dressier? Armani Code. Casual day at a resort or the marina, Virgin Island Water, etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Around 140. Rotate all the time. I think I wore TdH for about five straight days, and that's the most I've stuck with one scent.
    Same quantity, same principle, with M7 instead of TDH
    Currently wearing: Eau de Sisley 2 by Sisley

Just a mere 10 or so bottles which sometimes go up and down in numbers. I am strict with what I like and what I own so that I don't over do it...
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

About 120. I randomly choose according to weather and mood.

I just wear what I feel like wearing and what I feel like wearing is not the same when it's cold outside or warm. I think it's the same for the most here. Today I felt like I wanna wear Burberry London as it's gray and cold outside

Own about 60 bottles, and I rotate seasonally. Over the summer I restricted myself to about 4 bottles so I could use some up and slim down my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    You just wait...I thought I had a collection when I had 30 bottles, then I woke one day and I had 100. Then 300. And I still don't have enough.
    No disrespect, but I went down that road as far as 60 bottles, and it just wore me out from indecision. I really don't want to get over 30 again. It makes me anxious. That was 4 years ago. 30 is my personal sweet spot. I swap em, sell em, switch em out. Works for me.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Basenotes Member ben_from_boston's Avatar

10 bottles. i wear one scent as a signature scent until i kill the bottle. i get to know the individual fragrance very well this way and have much opportunity to see how others react to it. recently finished polo green, received a lot of compliments on it. currently wearing scent intense daily. however, for weekend nights, or for a date or special occasion, i may wear something different.
    Last edited by ben_from_boston; 13th November 2013 at 01:01 AM.

I actually on have about 9 or 10 but I've recently jumped on the DHI tràin (I love the smell, it's so subtle and elegant) but yeah I rotate them, honestly I go by what I'm wearing clothe-wise. I feel certain scents have a "color" to them... D&G, TdH, and others have a orange, yellow, black smell... A*men, Eros, others smell very blue to me, Narcisco for him, Burberry Touch kind of smell black, grey, or white... I feel like they help accent the outfit I have on.