Code of Conduct

Default How many colognes do you have? And do you rotate between scents?

Do you rotate your scents? Meaning do you smell like Aqua Di Gio on Monday and on Tuesday you smell like Fahrenheit? or do you stick with one bottle until its finished?

Default Re: How many colognes do you have? And do you rotate between scents?

Close to 60 bottles. There are a few variables that go through my mind when deciding on what to wear. I go by season, time of day, setting (indoor or out), event, the people I'll be around, how I feel or I might simply be nostalgic for something.

A little over 50 (single types of fragrances only, not including backups, matched product lines etc.) and I rotate them quite evenly, but not too deliberately. I just happen to like alternating them quite frequently.

Basenotes Junkie

30-40 constantly rotation.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

I have 42 and I wear whatever takes my fancy in the mornings. I have a top shelf with all my favorites and a cabinet where I put the rest.

About 80 perhaps. Yes i do rotate, in autumn/winter i wear whole different scents than in spring/summer. My autumn/winter rotation consists now of 12 scents.

Still, i mainly wear only 3 of them, and the rest 9 only very rarely.
    Of those 3 Ungaro III gets more than 60 % of wearing time. About 30% goes to Monsieur de Givenchy, Encre Noire and Narciso Rodriguez for Him. The rest 10% goes to Macassar, Drakkar Noir, VC&A Pour Homme, Zino, Memoir Man, Leonard Pour Homme, Salvador Dali Pour Homme and Patou Pour Homme.
    Last edited by df91; 10th November 2013 at 07:40 PM.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

About 55 and I set out 12 to 14 for the month, and rotate a new group in the next month.

Of the dozen frags I line up for the month, I wear whatever I'm in the mood for. The ones I don't wear I make a mental note of and possibly sell them down the line, or if it's just a seasonal issue, I bring them back when the time is right.

1,636 currently (no decants and no samples) and I rotate as much as I can.
    Last edited by hednic; 11th November 2013 at 08:29 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Approximately 200, all part of a year round rotation. Season or occasion generally have little influence and wearing is usually based on nothing more than a whim or mood, nothing predetermined.

Im not sure how many I have but Im on a constant rotation. I wear what Im in the mood for. Sometimes that means the same bottle 3 times a week. Other times, 7 different bottles get used.

Around 140. Rotate all the time. I think I wore TdH for about five straight days, and that's the most I've stuck with one scent.

300+ - I try not repeat; most used will be Eau Sauvage edt

About 330 and yes.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Chypre Palatin
    2) APOM Pour Homme
    3) Interlude Man
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Mamluk
    6) Kouros (Vintage)
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    9) More than Words
    10) Le Male (Vintage)

I own 26 bottles. I just pick whatever I'm in the mood to wear, which is dependent on many variables such as weather, occasion, etc.

I have no set pattern at all. But I can't see myself wearing Acqua di Gio Essenza on a snowy cold day, and I can't see myself wearing LIDGE on an August scorching day.

It was a moderate temp day in Georgia, and I went with Creed MI. It was awesome.

Too many to count and yes I rotate all the time, for ex.. This week I might Rock a particular scent for two or three days in a road or a whole week but next week I will put a different one every day: always changing it up....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

40 or so and I usually wear 2 different scents a day, plus I rarely wear the same scent two days running.

Wow.... I'm taken by couple of my favorite forum members [Jack Hunter with 42, and Hednic with 1636], and some others with 200-300 in their collection. I use to have a huge collection as well; Although now I have become more refined over the years of wearing many different scents. Currently I own: 13

Creed - OV, GIT, MI, M1849, PWC, Aventus, RO, Jd'A = 8
    Hermes- d'Terre Parfum, Voyage edt, Voyage edp = 3
    Tom Ford- Arabian Wood, Oud Wood = 2

** As for my rotation, I have experienced some fragrances "believe it or not" very hard to wash off after even 18-24hours of applying; I find that Tom Ford's and some Creed's are harder to wash off even after 20+hours. So my stagey is to usually stick with a fragrance for 2-3days before rotating to another scent.

When I read about people having the luxury of a hundred different scents I often wonder how does anyone wash away the molecules along with the essential oils which were use to compose that cologne? I swear you can scrub for 30minutes lathered with the finest unscented soap, and I'm telling you it doesn't matter. I can still pick-up on my previous fragrance while wearing a new one.

Does Millesime 1849 ring a bell?
    Last edited by FreshSmell; 11th November 2013 at 01:22 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

About 330..
    randomly choose something

45 scents and wear whatever speaks to me. Season plays a role but occasionally I'll wear a summer scent in the winter and vice versa.

Maybe a dozen full bottles and then 20-30 samples and decants.
    Not big by basenotes standards. I basically go with whatever I feel like that day. Sometimes inspiration will even hit me the night before. Either way, I normally end up wearing a different scent ever day, but I sometimes wear that same scent for a few days in a row. I've yet to finish a full bottle, but I've really only been into scents for a few years now.

If I was rotating, it would take me nearly a year to go through each one, at one per day.
    So I just don't bother with any notion of rotating.
    I don't feel any obligation to any bottle I own to actually use it.

But I don't have any problem wearing two or more separate scents in a day - as one gets weak, I just overspray it with either it or something else.

And I have a collection of short lived scents which I tend to use for quick occasions - like shopping or the beach - which I know i will overspray after they nearly disappear after two or three hours.
    Regards,
    Renato

8 weeks each (56) of a spring/summer rotation and a fall/winter rotation. So 112. Plus a few extras that I haven't placed into rotation yet. And this isn't even considering sample vials.

I probably should have about half this many, but I've already gotten rid of so many less-favorite ones that I'm really only left with ones I like a lot, or have some attachment to.

I'm very set in my rotation because I don't want to forget about any due to favoritism. I figure that if I "have" to wear each one a few times a year, it will remind me about ones that I don't like as much, so I can get rid of them and replace them with something better.

Basenotes Plus

I thought I'd be to embarrassed to say 50 or 60 but I still starting out compared to some of you fragrancemisters...
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ― Oscar Wilde

Basenotes Plus

I have 40 and I try to wear new ones quite frequently at the beginning so I can get a good review/rating of it. I simply just can't wear a fragrance more than two days in a row because I notice that specific notes tend to "disappear" as I get used to the fragrance. When it comes to choosing what to wear for the specific day, if I don't have any new fragrances in the collection I either:

1. Check the dates of my last wear for each and see which one I've neglected.
    2. Click "pick something random to wear"
    3. Just scan my collection and see which one would really work well for that specific day.

I own 300+ perfumes (no decants/samples) and I enjoy almost all of them on a regular basis.

I have around 300 perfumes.

I have no formal rotation scheme.

I may wear Sel de Vetiver on a hot summer day, out of pure instinct then a heavy resin in the evening.

Absolutely no formal scheme or plan but events, scenarios, places, seasons & people do play a role, albeit small.

for swap/sale:

I usually hover around 100-110. Of those, I might wear 5 consistently...though everything gets worn.
    It's really a matter of mood and dress for me. My go to frags are:
    Platinum Egoiste
    Aventus
    A*Men (and flankers)
    Guerlain Vetiver

Commonly used alternatives:
    Encre Noir
    GIT
    Himalaya
    Azzaro Visit
    "All of my 2012 batches of Aventus smell EXACTLY the same...even the grey market one with an Arabic lot sticker on the bottom of the bottle." - BT260

Basenotes Plus

I own about 20. I wear mostly scents I'm trying from decants (mostly from STC or PC) or samples. I also tend to favor recent buys, but try to fit in my old buddies so they're not neglected and to remember/compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere around 40 bottles I'm guessing. I like to rotate what I wear, but I'll put on whatever I feel like wearing that day regardless of season.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Over 1,200 and yes I do rotate all the time.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Around 160 fragrances. However, I rotate only between ca. 20 of them. This leads me to the conclusion to terminate my collection someday. Or keep it for sentimental reasons? I don't see the collection as "money reserve", but maybe it could be useful to "simplify".

North of 100. I segment my collection into warm and cool weather. I further break it down by casual and more formal wear. I never wear a fragrance two days in a row, rarely wear the same fragrance more than twice in a month.

Hi, I own about 100 bottles - and I use to rotate maybe 30 to 40. Some more frequently than most of the others. It`s mostly an intuitive thing. There are scents (I think 10+/-) that I wear nearly signature-like and others like once or twice a year. But then I`m glad it HAS to be this scent and I own it.

I wonder if there`s some biorythmic element to this - I bet there will again be a sunny morning in late september when I crave my Tom Ford for Men; again a rainy early spring day when Maroussia comes to mind or one period when days get colder and some Bandit-freshness does the trick like NO GOD DAMN OTHER perfume around. I`ve checked this over the years after it always felt like some dj-vu (while wearing the same stuff on other days in the circle of the months doesn`t do so). One nearly could use a calendar to pre-estimate or something ... it`s pretty weird :-)
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

A few bottles over 400 for men, 42 unisex and 89 for women.

I rotate based on notes or scent family. It helps me understand the nuances of fragrance composition, which fragrances I find superior and which garners the most attention/compliment.

For example, I am currently rocking Cerruti 1881, Hugo Boss No. 1, Jean Arthes La Voile Rouge and Tenere (myfav) by Paco Rabanne. These are similar yet different.

Other times I might focus on vetiver, and wear nothing but vetiver based fragrances. I also let the weather determine my rotation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    1,636 currently and I rotate as much as I can.
    Wow!
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticatedscent View Post
    North of 100. I segment my collection into warm and cool weather. I further break it down by casual and more formal wear. I never wear a fragrance two days in a row, rarely wear the same fragrance more than twice in a month.
    My approach too. 119 frags today, with my eye on a few more each season.

I keep two large bins in my closet, broken down into warm and cool weather. That's pretty much the only seasonal differences we experience in Houston.

Each weekend, I look over my schedule for the week coming up, and I pull out those that seem good candidates to wear for that week, based primarily on weather and occasions. I keep 7 or 8 on top of my dresser, and I grab one of them daily, which is usually decided in the morning as I'm getting dressed. I try to not wear one frag twice in a row. I'll frequently wear one in the morning for the day, then another if I go out in the evening. In reality, I probably rotate about 30 regularly, and I try to mix the others in for variety.

Honestly, I have way more than I can reasonably justify already, I have no idea how a lot of you guys with the uber-collections manage to figure it out. Not that I'm not still jealous...

I'm somewhere around the 140-150 mark now on full bottles, while I also have many samples. I definitley rotate frequently, but sometimes I go on small binges with something. For example, I have been wearing CK Be out the ass lately.. mostly because it doesn't last very long so I keep reapplying it.. but I have gone through nearly half of a 3.4 oz bottle in about a month, which is insane with a collection my size.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

50 -60 and a handful of samples. I wear them in constant rotation based on season usually. Lately been wearing Knize Ten most often.

Bottles alone about 121
    Decants and Travel size sprays (35)
    156 all together

At a rough guess I have around a hundred.....I lost track somewhat when we 'lost' our wardrobes on here, and I'm overdue a catch-up exercise now they're back! And yes, I rotate. But that's not to say I won't sometimes wear the same scent several days running.

Around 30 currently. I rotate primarily based on season, giving a secondary consideration to occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
    I thought I'd be to embarrassed to say 50 or 60 but I still starting out compared to some of you fragrancemisters...
    I know. I am so comforted when I read these posts. My less than 30 bottle collection pales in comparison, and frankly that makes me very pleased.

Around 200 bottles. I wear whatever I want to wear, usually 2 to 4 fragrances daily, no set rotation.

I've got around 100 right now and just randomly grab and spray. The only thing I won't do is wear any scent two days in a row, gotta switch it up and have variety!

I've got close to 150. However 15% of those are back up bottles if various favorites I have.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I know. I am so comforted when I read these posts. My less than 30 bottle collection pales in comparison, and frankly that makes me very pleased.
    You just wait...I thought I had a collection when I had 30 bottles, then I woke one day and I had 100. Then 300. And I still don't have enough.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

I currently own 11 bottles (i give away anything I don't love).

Seeing as how I live in the caribbean, I tend to rotate based on mainly two factors: 1. Time of day (day fragrance vs night fragrance, some work for both) and 2. What I'll be doing (which in turn affects what I'll be wearing clothing-wise and the vibe I'm going after). I use fragrances to accent my actual wardrobe. If I wear a grey suit/white shirt to work, chances are I'll wear Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. If I'm going to a dressy club, I might go for Spicebomb. Casual night out, maybe Bleu de Chanel. Somewhat dressier? Armani Code. Casual day at a resort or the marina, Virgin Island Water, etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Around 140. Rotate all the time. I think I wore TdH for about five straight days, and that's the most I've stuck with one scent.
    Same quantity, same principle, with M7 instead of TDH

Just a mere 10 or so bottles which sometimes go up and down in numbers. I am strict with what I like and what I own so that I don't over do it...

About 120. I randomly choose according to weather and mood.

I just wear what I feel like wearing and what I feel like wearing is not the same when it's cold outside or warm. I think it's the same for the most here. Today I felt like I wanna wear Burberry London as it's gray and cold outside

Own about 60 bottles, and I rotate seasonally. Over the summer I restricted myself to about 4 bottles so I could use some up and slim down my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    You just wait...I thought I had a collection when I had 30 bottles, then I woke one day and I had 100. Then 300. And I still don't have enough.
    No disrespect, but I went down that road as far as 60 bottles, and it just wore me out from indecision. I really don't want to get over 30 again. It makes me anxious. That was 4 years ago. 30 is my personal sweet spot. I swap em, sell em, switch em out. Works for me.

Basenotes Member ben_from_boston's Avatar

10 bottles. i wear one scent as a signature scent until i kill the bottle. i get to know the individual fragrance very well this way and have much opportunity to see how others react to it. recently finished polo green, received a lot of compliments on it. currently wearing scent intense daily. however, for weekend nights, or for a date or special occasion, i may wear something different.
    Last edited by ben_from_boston; 13th November 2013 at 01:01 AM.

I actually on have about 9 or 10 but I've recently jumped on the DHI trin (I love the smell, it's so subtle and elegant) but yeah I rotate them, honestly I go by what I'm wearing clothe-wise. I feel certain scents have a "color" to them... D&G, TdH, and others have a orange, yellow, black smell... A*men, Eros, others smell very blue to me, Narcisco for him, Burberry Touch kind of smell black, grey, or white... I feel like they help accent the outfit I have on.