Code of Conduct

Default Is Egoiste Cologne Concentree really that much better than the vintage Egoiste EDT?

I'm thinking of getting a bottle, but I have heard some people say that it really isn't all that different from the original, vintage EDT (which I have in quantity).

What do Basenoters think?

Andrew

Default Re: Is Egoiste Cologne Concentree really that much better than the vintage Egoiste EDT?

I own both and the concentree lasts much longer on my skin. I notice a slight difference in smell, but not that great. (324)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Is Egoiste Cologne Concentree really that much better than the vintage Egoiste EDT?

It is different than vintage edt. Like hednic said, longevity and projection is better with cologne concentree. Also, for me, the top is harsher, but the drydown is "denser" if that makes any sense. It radiates warmth. Vintage edt is more versatile, cologne concentree is very overpowering (but between the two I prefer the concentree, just have to go extremely light on the trigger).

The concentree version would the frozen custard, the vintage EdT would the gelato, and the current EdT would be ice cream. I prefer the vintage EdT because there's more note separation and it's easier to wear.

Basenotes Plus

I don't find the Concentree overpowering..... just 'warmer', richer, slightly darker if you will. Excellent longevity on this one. Uber masculine yet very refined, proper gentleman grade.

I'm glad I was able to find a BNIB large bottle - it was definitely one of the hardest bottles to find in this condition.

Guerlainista

It's notable mostly for the nice smooth sandalwood dry down. I guess that if you get the CC you are assured of getting real Mysore sandalwood.

Overall, I find that the CC stays closer to the skin, and seems a bit muted compared to the modern EdT. The EdT is very faithful formulation that seems to have actually amped up the vividness of the core rose-sandalwood accord. The CC is not as radiant to me, but feels softer, warmer and more organic.

Both are great, though. I actually just swapped away my CC because I'm quite happy with my modern EdT.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I managed to find a nearly full bottle of the Cologne Concentree for under $100(!) It is noticeably different than my vintage EdT (which is, in turn, noticeably different from the current formulation).

The CC is richer, deeper, longer-lasting, and perhaps spicier than the vintage EdT. I prefer it, primarily because of the enhanced longevity.