Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Priceline Stores and Others.

Having just returned from three months in Europe, plus visits to Singapore and Dubai on the way there and back, I was struck by the number of times I saw scents I'd paid $19 or $24 for at Priceline stores in their weekly specials, still selling for over $80 or $100 in overseas stores and duty free stores.

When you include the sales at places like My Chemist, Beauty Counter, Chemist Warehouse and Terry White Chemists, we are only paying a tiny fraction of the price for numerous designer scents that Europeans and other international travellers are paying.

And the "sale" items in European stores seemed to have pretty meagre discounts compared to what one finds in Australian sales in the aforementioned, and even to the sales in Myers and David Jones stores. During my entire 12 week stay in Europe I only saw one relatively cheap scent on sale, being Nikos Sculpture going for 20 Euros in a Douglas store in Amsterdam. I think the cheapest I ever saw it here was at around $40.
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Priceline Stores and Others.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My childhood friend is living in Melbourne and he told me stuff in Melbourne in general are more expensive than in the US. If one lives in Perth, it's even more pricey. I ran into an Australian couple in a shopping mall in Hawaii this past August. They were like kids in a candy store, " I want this.. I want that" because they would pay twice as much for the same products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. My childhood friend is living in Melbourne and he told me stuff in Melbourne in general are more expensive than in the US. If one lives in Perth, it's even more pricey. I ran into an Australian couple in a shopping mall in Hawaii this past August. They were like kids in a candy store, " I want this.. I want that" because they would pay twice as much for the same products.
    Thanks for your insights. I can see from all the "Spotted at Marshall's" threads that scents are even cheaper in the US than down here. Regardless, we are both much better than in Europe. For example, in my Italian home town, there are some eight or nine Perfumeria shops (including one stocking only niche stuff), most charging high or relatively high prices. The city itself only has a population of 32,000 people. And I see the same pattern in lots of other places I visited - lots of stores with high prices. They couldn't all survive with lower prices.
    Regards,
    Renato

I have also just come back from three month jaunt, Europe and SE Asia and can vouch for your experiences Renato. It was great to visit the famous Perfumerias in Barcelona and Madrid with a modicum of BN knowledge behind me. No, no bargains that's for sure but great selections. I can't say I've seen anything really worth buying at Priceline and the discount Chemists though.

Hi There,
    I used to live in Thailand and perfumes there that we see for $10 in Priceline are sold for like $100,
    I think fragrances are very cheap in Australia if they are the ones from the chemists like the more common designer and celebrity fragrances.
    However never purchase from Myer or David jones unless its exclusive to there and more expensive online because it is never worth it, they over price it so much.

For example i buy the Armani Prive from Myer because it is so much cheaper there than online. But if i can find it cheaper online (niche ones etc) I will buy from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    I have also just come back from three month jaunt, Europe and SE Asia and can vouch for your experiences Renato. It was great to visit the famous Perfumerias in Barcelona and Madrid with a modicum of BN knowledge behind me. No, no bargains that's for sure but great selections. I can't say I've seen anything really worth buying at Priceline and the discount Chemists though.
    What? You don't think Azzaro Decibel, Davidoffs Hot Water, and Mugler's B*Men are worth buying!

Thanks for your thoughts. It very much depends on your tastes. Basically, if you don't see anything worth buying at Priceline, you won't see much worth buying in 90% of Italian Perfumerias. I have mundane tastes. Most everything I've bought at Priceline outlasts anything in my niche collection.

I remember when I was in Madrid 4 years ago, the only thing I saw on sale was 50ml bottles of Celine Homme for around 30 Euros. I actually really like Celine, but I'd already bought it much cheaper than that back home. Interesting testing out all those Loewes though - but none grabbed me.
    Cheers,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by halalula1234 View Post
    Hi There,
    I used to live in Thailand and perfumes there that we see for $10 in Priceline are sold for like $100,
    I think fragrances are very cheap in Australia if they are the ones from the chemists like the more common designer and celebrity fragrances.
    However never purchase from Myer or David jones unless its exclusive to there and more expensive online because it is never worth it, they over price it so much.

For example i buy the Armani Prive from Myer because it is so much cheaper there than online. But if i can find it cheaper online (niche ones etc) I will buy from there.
    Interesting that it's so pricey in Thailand, I thought they would have been cheaper, yet your experience there mirrors mine in Europe.

I've picked up lots of bargains at Myers and David Jones over the years - but that's mainly been at the bigger stores. When David Jones got rid of their L'Artisan scents, they could be picked up for around $60. I've also gotten some Penhaligons there for around that price. My best score was when they were getting rid of their Comptoir Sud Pacific scents for $15 for the 50mls and $20 for the 100mls. And the little racks of specials at Myers have thrown up some interesting scents. I recollect deciding to buy an obscure Kenzo scent for $44, but at the check-out it came up at just over $30, as it was their discount on everything day.

My local chemist sells 50ml bottles of Tom Ford Man for $80. I tested it again today, and decided that I might buy it should it drop to $20 or $30.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Renato, you just might bump into me at Priceline CBD tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Renato, you just might bump into me at Priceline CBD tomorrow
    Hope you found something good (and cheap). Since moving past Frankston, visits to the CBD are very few for me - the one hour minimum train ride, is too much for me.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I have to admit that decibel wasn't all that bad at forty bucks. You will understand why I had not previously approached anything that looked like it (microphone). I'll try it again the other side of summer. The deal on the Bulgari Man was nowhere near as good as the gift pack in Myres 60ml plus a couple of creams, I didn't check what, for $66 was a good deal I think. Frankston!!! Yikes!! Nobody called 'Renato' should have to live there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that decibel wasn't all that bad at forty bucks. You will understand why I had not previously approached anything that looked like it (microphone). I'll try it again the other side of summer. The deal on the Bulgari Man was nowhere near as good as the gift pack in Myres 60ml plus a couple of creams, I didn't check what, for $66 was a good deal I think. Frankston!!! Yikes!! Nobody called 'Renato' should have to live there.
    I picked up Decibel there for $19. One just has to be patient and wait for their specials. Even 100ml bottles of B*men went for $22 one week before going back to $77 the week later.

Lots of specials at the Beautycounter I passed the other day. For example, $26 for 200ml bottles of CK Shock is dirt cheap compared to European prices (and I think it's a pretty neat scent).

Frankston's a pretty good town for shopping and scent bargains, but where we live we tend to go there rarely, more often going to Mt. Eliza and Mornington. I picked up a Givenchy Play Intense gift pack and a big bottle of Givenchy Very Irresistable at Myers Frankston for $40 each.

And there is a chemist shop in the close by Somerville shopping centre which sells an entirely different range of designer scents at discount prices - I picked up a 100ml tester of Davidoff Adventure there for $14.

Though I do miss the higher end bargains I used to scrounge in the CBD. I remember when I came home from work some six or seven years ago, and gave my astounded wife 10 or 12 bottles of different Annick Goutal testers that I'd bought for between $5 and $20 each.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Clearly picking up bargains has a lot to do with palce and time but also really knowng the merchandise well enough to know something is a good pick. It is the latter that I'm lacking but inspired by your experiences and knowledge I'm going to keep working on it. All the best for the festive season and all that means at the fragrance counters, Renato.

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly picking up bargains has a lot to do with palce and time but also really knowng the merchandise well enough to know something is a good pick. It is the latter that I'm lacking but inspired by your experiences and knowledge I'm going to keep working on it. All the best for the festive season and all that means at the fragrance counters, Renato.
    And all the best to you too.
    Good luck with your hunting around.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Walked into Priceline today and they were selling 100ml bottles of Ed Hardy Man for $19.
    And they were right next to the 50ml bottles of Ed Hardy Man going for $15.

Couldn't resist, Bought another 100ml bottle.
    Regards,
    Renato