Code of Conduct

Default Perfume for Veterans'Day/Armistice Day 2013

Veterans' Day/Armistice Day is celebrated in many places around the world and causes us to reflect on the sacrifices made by soldiers in the service to their countries. It also cause us to reflect, in a broader sense, on the tragedy of war and the sacrifices of families of servicemembers. (The holiday was founded based on the cessation of World War One.)

What does this mean for a discussion on perfume? Even in war, one can still find a reference to perfume. (I am trying to identify the bottle depicted. Any guesses?)

I found this charming image here: http://www.pbs.org/theydrewfire/gallery/small/118.html

Larger image here: http://www.pbs.org/theydrewfire/gallery/large/118.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Perfume for Veterans'Day/Armistice Day 2013

I'm thinking that the soldier is in a perfume shoppe planning on bringing something home for the missus.

For some, this was their first trip to France.
    For many, this was their last.

They fought, lived on or died so we may live in freedom.
    The world is far from perfect, but still a better place thanks to them.

My uncle was seriously wounded Dieppe, but lived to (not) tell about it.
    My grandfather was killed in Monte Cassino.
    Lest We Forget...

The bottle pictured looks like an old Guerlain type bottle to me of exactly what I have no idea. (338)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

Even in war, one can still find a reference to perfume.
    Maybe copper -- the smell of blood?

This thread feels wrong to me --- especially today.

Thanks for the thoughtful thread, Primrose. Beautiful painting! I have no idea what that bottle is, though.

Thanks to all who served and who serve today. We are often unable to see the forest for the trees, or know if a war is "just". But for those fighting, and their families, the sacrifices are absolute.

Kaern, respectfully, why do you think the thread feels wrong? I do not find it in poor taste, I think it's just a way for us to relate to this day in the context of our shared interest in fragrance.

I like the suggestion of copper. Caron L'Anarchiste comes to mind.

I was not thinking about a correlation when I put on my fragrance this morning, but I think J'ai Osé is appropriate; the smell of burning flowers.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Thank you all for the replies.

I beg to differ that this thread is "wrong" in any way. War is an ugly reality and yet life goes on. I think the image of a soldier buying perfume for his girlfriend or wife is charming. It speaks of the pathos of those leaving their families for a larger cause.

My father served in the military, and whenever he went away for long-term duty, he always brought back something special for my mother.

This post, above all, is about love, and how fragrance can celebrate that love. Imagine the special gift of perfume from Europe for the woman. She will associate the perfume with her man's trip to the war, his fortunate return, and how he thought her when he was away from her. Imagine their grown children, and the story of that old bottle of perfume--how Dad missed Mum so much and brought back a bottle of French perfume for her. Imagine their grown children enjoying that vintage bottle of perfume!

For the record, my family lost several men on both sides of the conflict.

I understand that Napoleon I wore tons of eau de Cologne on campaign. He brought along many bottles in his dressing case. I read somewhere that he carried a small flacon in his boot.

I thought the scent in the picture was Bourjois Soir de Paris, but then again, maybe not.
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th November 2013 at 03:14 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Ok -- I see your points

I still think the comparison with something so trivial (fragrances - not for us, know) with something so heavy(war) is a bit naff.

'...life goes on...' wouldn't be the first cliche to come to mind either

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The bottle pictured looks like an old Guerlain type bottle to me of exactly what I have no idea. (338)
    Agree. Kinda looks like Shalimar with the blue top.

The picture looks a bit odd (to me) though, almost like an occupying soldier, the stance, the grim, or is it a sceptical? (reformulation? new bottle?), look as getting served by the saleswoman.

Yeah, that looks like a vintate Guerlain bottle. As a veteran, I am wishing a happy belated Memorial Day to all my brothers and sisters out there who served and who are still serving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Ok -- I see your points

I still think the comparison with something so trivial (fragrances - not for us, know) with something so heavy(war) is a bit naff.

'...life goes on...' wouldn't be the first cliche to come to mind either
    We still wear fragrance, just generally not in theater. Particularly combat arms folks who don't want to make their presence known in such a way.

I wore some Azzaro Visit last evening while helping out a friend at his retail shop, just as part of a random rotation. Nothing in the morning during an elementary school function for another friend's daughter who was nice enough to mention me in the paper she was chosen to read, along with several other students who wrote prose and poetry for the day. Life should go on, and it is much harder for some, but little indulgences are good for the spirit when properly framed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    The picture looks a bit odd (to me) though, almost like an occupying soldier, the stance, the grim, or is it a sceptical? (reformulation? new bottle?), look as getting served by the saleswoman.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_MacMillan_Davis

The painter for this -- Floyd Davis -- was a very successful and renowned commercial artist. He did illustrations, advertisements, paintings, etc. He and his wife (also an artist) were commissioned by Life Magazine to cover the war in Europe in WWII.

I mention all this because Davis was know for humor or whimsy, even in otherwise humble settings. So the odd stance of the soldier is probably just for laughs. He's some American G.I. who probably pronounces Paris "Pear-Reee" and likes plain old steak and potatoes for dinner. Now he's getting the full, classy, dignified French sales experience. He's probably trying to not sound uncomfortable.

"Monsieur, peut-etre quelque chose qui est tres doux, et tres gentile?"

"Uh, yeah. Sure. Gen-teel. Thanks a lot, MuDamm."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStPaul View Post

The painter for this -- Floyd Davis -- was a very successful and renowned commercial artist. He did illustrations, advertisements, paintings, etc. He and his wife (also an artist) were commissioned by Life Magazine to cover the war in Europe in WWII.

I mention all this because Davis was know for humor or whimsy, even in otherwise humble settings. So the odd stance of the soldier is probably just for laughs. He's some American G.I. who probably pronounces Paris "Pear-Reee" and likes plain old steak and potatoes for dinner. Now he's getting the full, classy, dignified French sales experience. He's probably trying to not sound uncomfortable.

Interesting. Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Yeah, that looks like a vintate Guerlain bottle. As a veteran, I am wishing a happy belated Memorial Day to all my brothers and sisters out there who served and who are still serving.
    I salute you, sjg! For too many, Veterans' Day is just a chance to get a day off from work. For someone who knows/loves/loved one who served/serves, especially if you lost someone to combat, it's more than just a holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStPaul View Post

Great historical note, Dave. I think many commercial artists (U.S. and UK) were looped into the patriotic effort to use their skills to boost morale and educate the public.

As for the depiction, you are right about the odd combination of battle dress in a perfume shop. The sight of occupying troops in full combat gear is common in times of war. I just think it's charming that this common soldier is buying perfume--and undoubtedly for his wife or sweetheart he left behind.

Thank you Primrose. That means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Thank you Primrose. That means a lot.
    Thank you for the kind thought.