Code of Conduct

Default Who have Habit Rouge EDT (vintage) and the current EDP version?

Usually I don't moan about the reformulated fragrance much (except Dunhill Edition), but what striked me lately is that I had a chance to try Habit Rouge EDT (vintage), which was decanted from a bottle bought in the 90s. The drydown is so beautiful, classy and a bit smoky to the point where I felt the calming effect and it screamed Guerlain.

I am now wearing the current EDP version and it can't live up to that of the vintage EDT but nevertheless still nice.

I'd like to hear opinions of those who own both of these 2 different formulations. What do you think? Which one do you prefer and why?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Default Re: Who have Habit Rouge EDT (vintage) and the current EDP version?

It wasn't until I tried the vintage EdT that I began to see why it was once marketed as Shalimar for men. It has a deep, ambery smokiness, as you say, which is not so apparent in the current EdT. But I wear and enjoy both.

As the for the EdP, I don't find it at all similar to Habit Rouge EdT. They might as well be different fragrances, as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    It wasn't until I tried the vintage EdT that I began to see why it was once marketed as Shalimar for men. It has a deep, ambery smokiness, as you say, which is not so apparent in the current EdT. But I wear and enjoy both.

As the for the EdP, I don't find it at all similar to Habit Rouge EdT. They might as well be different fragrances, as far as I am concerned.
    I also own the EDC bought at least 5 years ago, and I haven't worn it for a year or two now but I remember it is more animalic than this EDP I'm wearing. The EDP is more sweet IMO. Thinking of getting the reformulated EDT to compare with the vintage one, and yes, I've bought the vintage EDT on ebay already.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I absolutely love vintage Habit Rouge (own the EDC and the EDT from the 80īs and an EDT from the 90īs).
    They got more depth and character to make it short ;-), and they are stronger than the current EDT.
    I also wonīt compare the EDP (any formulation) with the vintage Eaux, the EDP is just another scent for me (love it, too).

Guerlainista

The current EdT is closer in spirit to the vintage EdT. It has a very similar opening and similar contrast between the light and heavy components. The heart and base have been modernized. If it's the classic oriental base of the older HR EdT that you love, you'll just have to seek it out. Luckily, good bottles of vintage EdT are still readily available, although prices have been creeping up.

The EdP, on the other hand, is sweeter and heavier.

The modern EdT is pretty easy to find. You should try to test it if it's convenient, anyway - it's very good. I have both formulations, and prefer each at different times.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have current edp which I love.
    I also have vintage edt from the early 90s.

They share the main, the superficial structure.
    In that they have very contrasting notes layers.

A big shiny lemony opening, abruptly followed by a very dense leather (sans birch, very important to state there's no birch that's commonly paired with leather scents).

Vintage edt has as more prominent floral accord in the mid section, also smells more natural & lastly just smells different that florals used these days.

Finally, the dry down is very different.
    The edp has a smooth passive dry down whereas vintage edt has an engaging sandalwood & some accord dry down thatI have yet to decipher.

One is not better than the other.

If I had to summarize , I'd say current HR feels like an homage. Created by a whole other perfumer that adheres to a very different school of thought, with access to very different ingredients.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    The current EdT is closer in spirit to the vintage EdT. It has a very similar opening and similar contrast between the light and heavy components. The heart and base have been modernized. If it's the classic oriental base of the older HR EdT that you love, you'll just have to seek it out. Luckily, good bottles of vintage EdT are still readily available, although prices have been creeping up.

The EdP, on the other hand, is sweeter and heavier.

The modern EdT is pretty easy to find. You should try to test it if it's convenient, anyway - it's very good. I have both formulations, and prefer each at different times.
    A Guerlainista would not let me down. Yes I will get the new EDT to compare. For the vintage EDT I have managed to get 2 bottles. I didn't see its highlight until after 6-7 hours of wearing, the sillage was magical.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I own both and prefer the EDP for the extra longevity it gives me. (346)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Coindence - I'm wearing EdP and vintage EdC today.

I have to agree with the Habit Rouge Official Liaison (rubegon) comments above.

There is really nothing quite like vintage Habit Rouge, it (like Shalimar) ages beautifully and rides that fine line between citrus, woods, vanilla and smoke/animalic notes.

If you like the vintage drydown then don't go looking for it in any of the HR variations that have come out recently, except for a flash of it in the L'Extrait version which has almost NO citrus notes and is all base notes.

While you're at it, if you can find vintage Deodorant buy it, it's VERY good. A nice layering product for when you wear vintage juice. I treasure my bottle of it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Coindence - I'm wearing EdP and vintage EdC today.

I have to agree with the Habit Rouge Official Liaison (rubegon) comments above.

There is really nothing quite like vintage Habit Rouge, it (like Shalimar) ages beautifully and rides that fine line between citrus, woods, vanilla and smoke/animalic notes.

If you like the vintage drydown then don't go looking for it in any of the HR variations that have come out recently, except for a flash of it in the L'Extrait version which has almost NO citrus notes and is all base notes.

While you're at it, if you can find vintage Deodorant buy it, it's VERY good. A nice layering product for when you wear vintage juice. I treasure my bottle of it.
    Hi Mike!

I still haven't managed to find a vintage deo! I got one in an auction as a freebie with an EdT, but the seller threw them loose into a padded mailer, and it arrived with the top of the deo broken off and the whole package smelling amazing. So I'm getting by with the metal can current doe, though it's not really a good match.

I would really love to find some vintage bar soap! That stuff is like gold dust.

Since I stopped shaving a year ago or so I have found a use for the vintage A/S. I've been using it as a kind of body lotion sometimes - dry winter days usually.

The extrait is gorgeous - more plush and intricate than the current EdT in the dry down (and everywhere else), but I don't find it similar enough to be a good substitute for the vintage. It's a lot fancier and not as warm and organic as the old stuff. Not to mention it costs about 10x as much as good vintage EdT. It's about what you'd expect if Roja Dove made a modern riff on HR.

Vintage EdT gave me a headache. A severe headache. But I didn't give up on HR so I tried Vintage EdC and love it. Also have the EdP leather-wrapped one and it's gorgeous but from what I've read, quite different to the current one. I believe the current one omits the Oud.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Hi Mike!

I still haven't managed to find a vintage deo! I got one in an auction as a freebie with an EdT, but the seller threw them loose into a padded mailer, and it arrived with the top of the deo broken off and the whole package smelling amazing. So I'm getting by with the metal can current doe, though it's not really a good match.

I would really love to find some vintage bar soap! That stuff is like gold dust.

Since I stopped shaving a year ago or so I have found a use for the vintage A/S. I've been using it as a kind of body lotion sometimes - dry winter days usually.

The extrait is gorgeous - more plush and intricate than the current EdT in the dry down (and everywhere else), but I don't find it similar enough to be a good substitute for the vintage. It's a lot fancier and not as warm and organic as the old stuff. Not to mention it costs about 10x as much as good vintage EdT. It's about what you'd expect if Roja Dove made a modern riff on HR.
    What's up R?

Yeah, those glass deodorant bottles are quite old school. I'll keep an eye out for some & if I see it I'll let you know.

I've NEVER seen HR soap...would love to shower with that. I did get a mini of vintage Shower Gel almost a year ago, and found it wonderful, but I am also a very happy customer of the current HR Shower Gel. It's so highly scented, when I dry off from a shower, I feel like I already have fragrance on. Love it.

I've never smelled vintage After Shave Lotion. But if it's anything like the vintage Vetiver After Shave Lotion I have, I can easily see what you mean about using it as a Body Lotion, it's very light and easy to smooth onto skin.

And yes, the L'Extrait is one of my dressed-up-scents. It doesn't have that everyday-feel that the EdC, EdT & EdP have. The drydown is gorgeous, but also thick and slightly claustrophobic. I have to been in the mood for it & sometimes when I put it on I also spritz on top of it some vintage EdC - just to give it some 'life' before the drydown.

I'll tell you what I would LOVE to own: Habit Rouge Talc. I have some vintage Shalimar powder and it's amazing.

-- Jack Kerouac

I found two bottles of this version of Habit Rouge for 65 dollars and I was wondering if anyone knows the year this version was made? I own the modern image.jpgversion and like it a lot.

Mid 80īs, I suppose.

If you have the batch code, you can look here http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-perfumes.html

I own that bottle from 1986 and all I can say: itīs absolutely fantastic! Grab it if you can!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Omega1185 View Post
    I found two bottles of this version of Habit Rouge for 65 dollars and I was wondering if anyone knows the year this version was made? I own the modern image.jpgversion and like it a lot.
    Great price - buy it quick!

-- Jack Kerouac

Guerlainista

Yeah, I'd guess 80s as well - that's a zigzag box. And I second Mike - buy both if you haven't done so already!

Basenotes Institution

Hey rubegon - I got some vintage HR AS Lotion

Ace!

-- Jack Kerouac

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Hey rubegon - I got some vintage HR AS Lotion

Ace!

Nice! I had some of the shower gel of that vintage once - long gone now.

What I would love to get my hands on now is some of the vintage hair tonic. That stuff's extremely rare. I've only seen it come up once - the red egg-shaped spray bottle - and I got outbid on it. :-(

Basenotes Institution

Hair tonic! ((giggle))

-- Jack Kerouac