Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Saffron Based Frag's

I love the saffron opening in Golden Boy but despise the leather drydown..
    Also I love Zaffran by PK Perfumes..

I am looking to at least get a few more samples/decants of Saffron based scents..
    What would you recommend?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Saffron Based Frag's

Safran Troublant L`Artisan Parfumeur

An Oriental Spicy by Bertrand Duchaufour. Notes include passion flower, sandalwood, red rose, vanilla, saffron, sugar and ginger

(courtesy of Fragrantica)

Idole by Lubin both edt & edp have a lot of saffron in it's composition and are good scents.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post

An Oriental Spicy by Bertrand Duchaufour. Notes include passion flower, sandalwood, red rose, vanilla, saffron, sugar and ginger

+1. I'm not that keen but plenty are. It's a bit too 'curryish' for me

I really like the way saffron is used in 2 Man, it's very palpable...more so than other fragrances that I've tried containing saffron notes. The saffron in 2 Man is warm and semi-sweet, almost giving the fragrance a gourmand feel at one point, very interesting indeed.

CdG 8 88 has a very prominent saffron note. Try before you buy with that one.

I also second Safran Troublant, very smooth, creamy, no leather.

cacio

I like saffron and oud combos, such as Pure Oud and Oud Velvet Mood.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

If you have access to Abdul Samad Al Qurashi products, their Sheik Anas oil blend is a saffron bomb tempered with a bit of amber and musk.

Recently I tried Oud Imperial from Perris Monte Carlo; the saffron in the opening made my eyes water. The saffron died down after a while and it's a nice, fairly mild oud fragrance. You might want to try that one.

Saffron is a difficult note for me, I can only take it in small doses. I couldn't wear Opôné, it was too much (it's discontinued so I won't recommend it, but it is rose and saffron if you think that's worth hunting down).
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I like how it's used in Liquid Night and CH Men. Neither are centered around saffron but it's an important part of each.

Aoud 2 by M. Micallef for men
    Royal Leather Charriol for men

Safran Troublant

Aoud Oeillet d'Inde
    Last edited by hednic; 11th November 2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post

agree. ST is a beauty.

I've got the discontinued but still can be found on the internet Comptoir Sud Pacific's Sultan Safran.

I'm still not sure what to make of saffron as a note - doesn't smell masculine or feminine to me.
    Regards,
    Renato

Xerjoff- Gao

Jack Black Signature Black Mark
    Nordstroms carries it...very nice saffron note in that one.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Washington Tremlett Black Tie if you can find it. Top notch rose with a blast of saffron and woods.

Can be found side-by-side with a lot of oud-based fragrances, but aside from those, these are some I like:

Divine l'Homme Sage
    Lubin Idole EDP
    Parfums de Marly Godolphin
    Versace Man

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Saffron is a difficult note for me, I can only take it in small doses...
    Me too.

I like the way it is used in Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned
    Blog Entries

Jack Black is a joke
    Xerjoff and MFK are 2 pricey

I have a few L'Artisan's- most are 2 light
    I have a decant of Idole
    Versace Man is 1 I sold years ago
    I have enough CDG'S..

I SEE THIS A TOUGHIE

Safran Troublant is excellent.
    Diptyque L'eau Tarocco is another fantastic one.
    Amouage Lyric man has saffron but its not the most prominent note.

How about my Baby TL by TF some individual get a strong note of saffron with berries, I personally get Refine exquisite best leather in the business and all of the above mention notes on website obviously through the juices evolvement ....love it...btw for one reason or another this one is not a beast on me, can you believe it!!!!!Hahhh
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I second Washington Tremlett Black Tie. If you tend to prefer something more edgy, then you might like Eutopie No. 2
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

I'm not familiar enough with saffron as a note. I never realized it was in 2 Man. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time.
    Not wanting to take the thread too far off track, but does saffron often impart a leathery feel? I seem to remember people mentioning a saffron suede/leather accord in ELDO's Tom of Finland.

Love Safran Troublant!

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I'm not familiar enough with saffron as a note. I never realized it was in 2 Man. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time.
    Not wanting to take the thread too far off track, but does saffron often impart a leathery feel? I seem to remember people mentioning a saffron suede/leather accord in ELDO's Tom of Finland.
    To my nose saffron smells of hay. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/255...ron-smell-like
    The aromachemical safraleine, however, can add a leathery tinge to perfumes.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Xerjoff- Gao

Holy Grail Saffron IMHO.

I'm still in the process of fully identifying the saffron note but it is a main listed ingredient in Korres 'Saffron Amber and Cardamon', which I recommend. If it is in CdG 2 Man which I also like then I may be getting closer to understanding.

Yup, saffron is definitley a hard note to find in fragrances. To my understanding, it is not cheap either, which is why it is so limited. I do agree with Versace Man though, this has an excellent saffron note, combined with tobacco and fruity notes. I think it's discontinued, but you can find samples, as well as bottles on ebay.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    I'm still in the process of fully identifying the saffron note but it is a main listed ingredient in Korres 'Saffron Amber and Cardamon', which I recommend. If it is in CdG 2 Man which I also like then I may be getting closer to understanding.
    This is my first choice in saffron based scents. Korres has sourced this from Kouzani in Northern Greece and it is still one of the finest saffrons in the world. The saffron note is very much there for me, but it is often not interpreted the way a lot of what we know from cheaper saffron ingredients.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Indian Saffron by Montale from their Confidential Collection although quite strong, is for me perhaps even better than the four I listed in my post above.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Habdan by Parfums de Marly

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by mia von trost View Post
    To my nose saffron smells of hay. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/255...ron-smell-like
    The aromachemical safraleine, however, can add a leathery tinge to perfumes.
    Thanks!

I'm kind of familiar with the smell in cooking, but I've had it in so few dishes that I think I have trouble separating it from the smell of shellfish in my mind...

The confidential collection had nice bottles, I remember they were very high priced almost 800 us dollars for 100 ml.

Agree wholeheartedly with Xerjoff Gao and that would be my no 1 recommendation.

I would also throw in Montale's Red Aoud and Armani Mania (heavier application needed).

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Yup, saffron is definitley a hard note to find in fragrances. To my understanding, it is not cheap either, which is why it is so limited.

You're right, Cologneist, saffron in either real or synthetic (Safranal) isn't cheap...

The Saffron I buy for Zaffran, Tony T's (OP) love, is real, and smells amazing.

And the other thing I wanted to say is that don't bother with Byredo Black Saffron, if you want Saffron. I've been studying it for a new client, a new niche house that I'm making their new line of fragrances for, and I honestly can't say why the Byredo is even named Saffron... I can't even seem to find the saffron in it.

But the other thing about real saffron is that it is highly restricted if you follow IFRA rules. Safranal being the main odor component of Saffron...

"(Safranal) should not be used such that the level in consumer products exceeds 0.005 %. This is equivalent to 0.025% in a fragrance compound used at 20% in the consumer product. "

This usage amount is really minuscule, this is why you aren't gonna find a lot of Saffron Scents out there, because the rest of the mass market, or masstige niche lines don't use more than this amount, which honestly, is hardly even worth mentioning, why even bother using it...?

And it's hard to recreate the Saffron odor profile without it.
    At least a real Saffron odor profile, but there's always the "sort of like Saffron" odor profile, I suppose, that they TELL you is supposed to be saffron...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

So what do you think about Safraleine Paul? Smells like saffron to me...

I believe Byredo's Black Saffron and Frederic Malle's Dries Van Noten both have Saffron in them.

As for other Saffron frags, besides Saffron Troublant, I'm kinda surprised nobody's mentioned - Tom Ford Noir de Noir and ByKilian Incense Oud
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I'm a huge fan of PK Zaffron too. In addition to what's already been mentioned, I suggest you try Jo Malone Saffron Cologne Intense (saffron, iris, pink pepper, sandalwood, gaiac wood, blond wood, white musk and warm amber ) and Bruno Acampora Nero (citrus, saffron, cedar, patchouli, sandalwood, amber, musk).

I really like Odori Zafferano.

Anybody own or familiar with Amouage Asrar Attar?

Looking at a possible purchase - a few reviews here, looks interesting - apparently very saffron driven.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    If you have access to Abdul Samad Al Qurashi products, their Sheik Anas oil blend is a saffron bomb tempered with a bit of amber and musk.
    Any suggestions where this can be acquired?

I recently found out that Beckham makes a flanker to Signature called Summer. It appears that it has a heavy saffron note in it. Seen testers on Ebay reasonably priced, I pay pull the trigger on it soon.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/D...Him-11500.html
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Dip Eau Duelle has a beautiful saffron note, from start to finish.

I can't believe I forgot, one of my favorite men's fragrances Prada Amber has an AMAZING saffron note.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)