Code of Conduct

Thread: Best Oud ever

Default Best Oud ever

What the best Oud ever?

Default Re: Best Oud ever

100% pure oud oil. Nothing else comes close.

I always find these superlative questions for myself nearly impossible to answer. There are so many I like and so many I have, but I'll mention one I like a lot: Oud Pur Oriental by Montale (350)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Mona di Orio Oud

I can't answer what is the best ever as it's subjective to the individual. But I do like Leather Oud by Dior as I like the smell of burning oud wood as oppose to the funky oud oil.

I don't think there is a "best". Oud oil is what you want to try if you want a pure oud experience, but even then there are so many different oud oils and each is unique or at least different. The best oud perfume would depend on what notes you want/like and your own personal taste. No real answer...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

There is no such thing as the best Oud ever. Real Oud oil, in itself its very complex, they range from the animalic Indian oud, which is preferred in the East and the one I personally find better, to the floral Cambodian styles which appeals to Western tastes in general. It really is a matter of taste. If your talking about the synthetic Oud fragrances, again its a matter of taste. Some prefer Oud with Roses , some with Leather and civet, others with just spices, it really runs the whole gamut. There is no such thing as "Best Oud " ever. I have about 25 oud fragrances and attars,
    I like them all and depending on my mood, I wear the one which appeals to me that day.

Burning agarwood chips with high concentration of oud resin is awesome... nothing comes close to it....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    +1 You said it!
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

La Fumee Arabie is excellent.

for swap/sale:

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud

Basenotes Plus

Is Oud a acquired fragrance?
    Any thing I have smelled with Oud in it, just doesn't smell like it would be appealing to myself..
    I kind of like its uniqueness but it would not be the scent I would wear to impress a women..
    I just started exploring the world of fragrance a few months ago and I wonder if its a scent that grows on you in time or a love it or hate it scent..
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
    Is Oud a acquired fragrance?

I just started exploring the world of fragrance a few months ago and I wonder if its a scent that grows on you in time or a love it or hate it scent..
    A bit of both I would say. It is an unfamilar note to western noses and does tend to grow on you as you gain experience. On the other hand, I have always been drawn to deeper and dirtier scents so the first time I smelled oud, I loved it.

To the original poster: What do you expect from an oud scent and what notes do you appreciate? There are so many ouds now.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    La Fumee Arabie is excellent.
    Agree.

I also like Armani Prive Oud Royal, M7, and Oud for Love.

Red Aoud because the oud is well hidden lol

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I don't think there is a "best". Oud oil is what you want to try if you want a pure oud experience, but even then there are so many different oud oils and each is unique or at least different. The best oud perfume would depend on what notes you want/like and your own personal taste. No real answer...
    Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    There is no such thing as the best Oud ever. Real Oud oil, in itself its very complex, they range from the animalic Indian oud, which is preferred in the East and the one I personally find better, to the floral Cambodian styles which appeals to Western tastes in general. It really is a matter of taste. If your talking about the synthetic Oud fragrances, again its a matter of taste. Some prefer Oud with Roses , some with Leather and civet, others with just spices, it really runs the whole gamut. There is no such thing as "Best Oud " ever. I have about 25 oud fragrances and attars,
    I like them all and depending on my mood, I wear the one which appeals to me that day.
    ^^True for me. Without getting into the synth vs. real oud used in western fragrances, these fragrances use the word oud in their title to denote that oud is an ingredient in the recipe because that is what's hot recently in western perfumery. IMO to say that pure oud is best(which it is) or to compare western fragrances containing oud to pure oud is unfair, when it's more realistic to compare them with oud mukhallats and oud attars. Now, these western oud fragrances(mukhallats/attars) range from being more occidental to more oriental, someone like jasonx seems to favor those that are more occidental with a rather transparent oud note, whereas I tend to favor the ones that remind me more of eastern oud mukhallats/attars, such as Montale's Dark Aoud and Kilian's Musk Oud, or my absolute favorite oud containing western frag, Clive Christian C Men.

I've not tried pure oud oil or Mona's offering (which is apparently the real deal), but my favourite Oud scent would have to be either Amouage Epic Man (just so nicely blended) or Zegna's Indonesian Oud (very aromatic, strong and simply divine with that rose accord).

The oudy-smell I like the most is Mancera Sand Aoud which comes close to a masterpiece. It`s just a nicely orchestrated oud with saffron/cumin, a fruity rose, earthy patchouly, woodsmoke, etc. The Oud perfume that comes closest to the very few oud oils I`ve smelled certainly is Oudh Imperial by Perris Monte Carlo. It`s very pure & rough IMO.
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

All depends on your taste.

Discreet oud :Royal oud
    obvious oud: M7
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Nothing could be compaired to high quality aged oud oil.

As for Mukhallat or oud mix with other ingredients
    I think Ajmal mukhallat dahn al oudh is the great one.
    My current favorite one at moment is Oud Ispahan.

For the most part, I find that commercial oud fragrances (Tom Ford, Creed, MFK etc.) smell nothing like oud at all (not that they're bad scents).

I've been most impressed as of late by Ensar Oud's Assam Organic and Purple Dervish that a generous Basenoter let me sample, but also Phoenicia's Realoud Feral is pretty special. There could never be a "best" anything within such a subjective genre, but that MdO Oud is pretty great.

Sound Scents

Perfume-wise, my favorites (there is no "best") in order of preference are:

Oud Shamash by The Different Company
    Les Nombres d'Or Oud by Mona di Orio
    Oud Louban by Aftelier
    Oud for Love by The Different Company
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

A bit of both I would say. It is an unfamilar note to western noses and does tend to grow on you as you gain experience. On the other hand, I have always been drawn to deeper and dirtier scents so the first time I smelled oud, I loved it.

To the original poster: What do you expect from an oud scent and what notes do you appreciate? There are so many ouds now.
    A bit like Ormond Jayne Man i have and really like.I smelled a sample of Indonesiam Oud Ermenegildo Zegna and did not like it too strong for me,ilke vetiver ,amber,cedar sandalwwod tobacco.

As far as oud goes, I like Abdul Samad Qurashi Dhen Al Oud. 2nd would be Tom Ford Oud Wood , and finally Creed Royal Oud.

Just gave my "once and future" a bottle of Le Labo's Oud 27. I haven't smelled many ouds yet, but I like this a lot. To me it's sophisticated, mesmerizing (first use of following term) skank.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pomm View Post
    Nothing could be compaired to high quality aged oud oil.

As for Mukhallat or oud mix with other ingredients
    I think Ajmal mukhallat dahn al oudh is the great one.
    My current favorite one at moment is Oud Ispahan.
    +1

From Dior Privée Line, I would also recommend Leather Oud, it is interesting and challenging one, dirty and animalic, but so sexy.

IMO, no EDP can beat pure oud oil in their complexity and uniqueness. Oud Oils from each origin smells different.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Sandalwood and oud: Montale Dark Oud

Also try Oud Lime, Oud Wood, Royal Oud and Mona di Orio's Oud. Dior Leather Oud (Oud Ispahan is worth a try too) is amazing as is Le Labo's Oud 27. Not much oud in it but try M7 vintage if you can find it.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I've only sampled about a dozen or so oud-centric fragrances, but so far my favorite by far is Leather Oud. Possibly my favorite fragrance of all time.

I just tried Armani Oud Royale and MFK Silk Mood Oud and they are both outstanding.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

There is no way to say the best oud. I just checked and I have 26 pure oud oils and 14 oud perfumes in collection now and I could never pick one as best. I know many on basenotes who have much larger selections that I do. There are so many that are very good and are deserving of recognition. Oud fragrances as a category is one of the broadest there is and just too many to select from.

I am late to the Oud party and have mixed feelings if I really like it as much as some other notes that combine with it.
    But so far my limited foray into this accord I really like Black Aoud & Red Aoud from Montale,Royal Oud from Creed and Sand Oud from Mancera.

I am going to check out Oud for Love & Oud Shamash from The Different Company next year.

YousefA

I've tried many oud-based fragrances over the last few months since becoming interested in the fragrance-world, and my favourites so far are Mona di Orio's Oud and Acqua di parma's colonia intensa oud, as I find both incorporate the oud into the fragrance quite nicely, without ever letting it become overly powerful.

Basenotes Plus

Amouage Homage or MFK Cashmere and Velvet Oud. These fragrances are beautiful and use real oud.

Maybe the question posted by Thread started can be better referred or stated as to say "Which house or specific perfume has most exquisitely brought out the best in oud in their blend and masterfully used oud to an Oscar caliber performance in a specific perfume"?

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud....or
    Royal oud ? too hidden in background! But masterpiece!
    Last edited by magnus611; 14th November 2013 at 06:04 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

From a 'westernized' perspective...

For my barnyardy taste, Xerjoff - Zafar hovers above the rest.

Down a level comes: By Kilian - Pure Oud, L'Artisan - Al Oudh, Dior - Leather Oud, Le Labo - Oud 27, Montale - Aoud Cuir d'Arabie

Down another level and still quite excellent comes: Bond No.9 - Harrod Swarovsk ltd. edition, Creed - Royal Oud, Ford - Oud Wood
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

For me is Mancera's Sand Aoud.

The term "the best" is so subjective when it comes to Oud, when you factor in whether you're looking for a blended Arabian version, or a western interpretation or pure natural unadulterated Oud oil. As others have mentioned, nothing comes close to the smell of the real deal in it's rich, pure format, but having said that I enjoy the following:

Xerjoff- Gao
    Guerlain- Songe d'un bois ete
    Dior- Leather Oud
    Montale- Aoud cuir d'Arabie
    MFK- Oud (original)
    Amouage- Epic Man

Best oud ever? So many OUDS not tried, and those that I own might be my favorite on any given moment. Oud is like food, you have to be in the mood for the vibe it projects. Wear one too often and you get sick of it. Go to long without, and you crave it like a scallop wrapped in bacon (or some other deliciousness that is potentially offensive to the person next to you.)

What I know of oud, I tend to classify into Dirties, Florals, Medicinals, and Woody/Spicy

DIRTY

Dirty, just Dirty (but simultaneously barnyard spiritual) - Oud Caravan @ Via del profumo
    Dirty Gorgeous - Xerjoff Zafar
    Dirty Hot - Dior Leather Oud
    Dirty, Sweaty, Sex in a Bottle and I don't care that it's oudless: L'Artisan Parfumeur Al Aoud
    S&M that anyone can enjoy: Montale's Aoud Cuir d'Arabie

FLORALS

Cozy Floral - Mona's Oud
    Lighter Floral Oriental - Amouage Epic Woman (my favorite amouage non-attar, and nothing about screams feminine. A huge complement-getter)
    Bombastic Rose - Montale Black Oud
    Rosey Oud Smoke - Dior Oud Ispahan
    Oud served up on a bed of 1000 roses and Bright Frankincense where I could die and be happy - Amouage Homage & Asrar Attars
    Caramel-dipped, oud-dusted Osmanthus: Xerjoff Mamluk

MEDICINAL

Radiant Spice - Amouage Epic Man
    Medicinal Blast - Any of 254,978 other Montales
    Medicinal Refined - Oud Shamash
    Medicinal Perfected - MFK's Oud Cashmere Mood (smoother) or Velvet Mood (more of the bright petroleum quality)
    Hot Ambered Oudy Love - Histoires de Parfums Ambarem

WOODY/SPICY

These are a few of my favorite (oudy) things - Guerlain Songe d'un bois d'ete
    Holy Piercing Saffron! - Xerjoff Gao (One of the driest perfumes I have ever worn)
    Oudless bandwagon hopper that luckily retains a beautiful woody/spicy character: Creed Royal Oud
    Deep Wet Forest Oud: Amouage Memoir Man
    The basenotes of Memoir man: Montale Dark Oud
    Textbook acceptable Oud - woodsy and rich - that everyone copied and thankfully charged less: TF Oud Wood
    Exception to above, textbook acceptable oud that charged more (but a Beautifully blended fragrance): Bond Harrod's Oud

These are the ones I most reach for without fear of getting in the elevator.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 18th November 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Plus 1

Memoir Man doesn't have out in it, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    Best oud ever? So many OUDS not tried, and those that I own might be my favorite on any given moment. Oud is like food, you have to be in the mood for the vibe it projects. Wear one too often and you get sick of it. Go to long without, and you crave it like a scallop wrapped in bacon (or some other deliciousness that is potentially offensive to the person next to you.)

What I know of oud, I tend to classify into Dirties, Florals, Medicinals, and Woody/Spicy

DIRTY

Dirty, just Dirty (but simultaneously barnyard spiritual) - Oud Caravan @ Via del profumo
    Dirty Gorgeous - Xerjoff Zafar
    Dirty Hot - Dior Leather Oud
    Dirty, Sweaty, Sex in a Bottle and I don't care that it's oudless: L'Artisan Parfumeur Al Aoud
    S&M that anyone can enjoy: Montale's Aoud Cuir d'Arabie

FLORALS

Cozy Floral - Mona's Oud
    Lighter Floral Oriental - Amouage Epic Woman (my favorite amouage non-attar, and nothing about screams feminine. A huge complement-getter)
    Bombastic Rose - Montale Black Oud
    Rosey Oud Smoke - Dior Oud Ispahan
    Oud served up on a bed of 1000 roses and Bright Frankincense where I could die and be happy - Amouage Homage & Asrar Attars
    Caramel-dipped, oud-dusted Osmanthus: Xerjoff Mamluk

MEDICINAL

Radiant Spice - Amouage Epic Man
    Medicinal Blast - Any of 254,978 other Montales
    Medicinal Refined - Oud Shamash
    Medicinal Perfected - MFK's Oud Cashmere Mood (smoother) or Velvet Mood (more of the bright petroleum quality)
    Hot Ambered Oudy Love - Histoires de Parfums Ambarem

WOODY/SPICY

These are a few of my favorite (oudy) things - Guerlain Songe d'un bois d'ete
    Holy Piercing Saffron! - Xerjoff Gao (One of the driest perfumes I have ever worn)
    Oudless bandwagon hopper that luckily retains a beautiful woody/spicy character: Creed Royal Oud
    Deep Wet Forest Oud: Amouage Memoir Man
    The basenotes of Memoir man: Montale Dark Oud
    Textbook acceptable Oud - woodsy and rich - that everyone copied and thankfully charged less: TF Oud Wood
    Exception to above, textbook acceptable oud that charged more (but a Beautifully blended fragrance): Bond Harrod's Oud

These are the ones I most reach for without fear of getting in the elevator.

Correct, Duke. For some reason I thought it did in the base.

But unless we're talking about pure oils or wood chips, the ingredients of any oud-based fragrance are deceiving. You could argue that 80% of what I listed contains no real oud. In fact, the only I recall swearing (through printed interviews) that they have used the real stuff are the Mona, Bond, Profumo, and Xerjoffs. I'd imagine that the amouage attars would as well.

Otherwise, spotting oud in the notes can be based on any combination of synthetics or simply olfactory illusion.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 19th November 2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

I'd also say go for the highest quality oud oil that you can afford. I like oud when it's blended with citrus, but I don't care for oud and rose or rose in general.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    This.

There is simply no way to recreate the complexity and depth of genuine oud using aromachemicals.
    Current Favorites:

1. Arabian Oud Kalemat
    2. Chanel Egoiste CC
    3. CdG Incense Avignon
    4. Bulgari Black
    5. Polo (vintage)
    6. Le Troisieme Homme de Caron
    7. Chanel Antaeus
    8. Drakkar Noir (vintage)
    9. Aramis Havana
    10. Tauer Une Rose de Kandahar

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud
    As an owner of this particular fragrance, I feel like I can say "not even close".

Maybe Armani Prive Royal Oud, or Black Aoud.