Code of Conduct

Default Buy it for the Drydown?

I am wondering how often we end up with a scent strictly because of its dry-down. And how long are you willing to put up with an opening, or even heart notes that you don't care for in order to get to the dry-down.

I have a scent that the first half-hour I just tolerate because I really love the dry-down. This has got me to thinking about all the scents I've sniffed on a car in a store but whose dry-down I never get to experience. It brings into focus just how important trying each scent on your skin and wearing for at least a few hours is.

Are you willing to put up with things just to get to the dry-down?

Default Re: Buy it for the Drydown?

Encre Noire is one of those fragrances that I like when it dries down. The vetiver smooths out much better after about a 30 minutes or so.

Sycomore is one for me. I care very little for the opening. The mid notes I suppose I can cope with. But once that dry down is going, it is amazing!

I suppose to answer your question, 20 mins is about right for an opening I can't stand. I'd like to be able to put the scent on and by the time I'm in the car or at work at the latest for it to be pleasant for me at least. That said, if the wife can't stand it, this comment makes it invalid.

I personally love the dry downs of many scents but I also love the evolution of the scent from beginning to end.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Some for the drydown but I think more for the opening notes

I love musks and the deeper base notes... so for me, a lot of my purchases are based on the drydown. I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't live with the first few hours, but if if it's tolerable then I probably would - just to get to the drydown

Regarding store testing, I agree you do need to let a scent develop to judge it properly, but I think sometimes you can get a sense of those that are really so harsh, or so pale and wan, from the outset that they really won't improve. The bigger danger I find these days are those scents that seem so beautiful the first hour, and then just degenerate into a pale, boring mess.

Voyou is probably the most misleading perfume.

Starts out blatantly generic.

Then fifteen minutes later it's a whole different perfume.

for swap/sale:

This happens, especially with vintage perfumes. The top is usually the first thing to go, but often the drydown is fine. I have for instance No 5, Shocking, and others that have turned, but after a while I get whiffs of the glorious drydown.

cacio

I personally would do it only on a cheapy well made find other then that NO.... If it's gonna have me reaching a level more in my pockets, then I will have to use utmost analytical decision , so No I wouldn't buy it just because I love the base notes(dry down)..I will have to love the entirety of juice(Top,heart,base) for me to fork out the Euros.....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Splash Bottles Suck

I own, and positively adore, Guerlain Chamade exclusively for its yellow, powdery, narcissus drydown. It is pure heaven, and one of the greatest things I have ever smelled.

It is one of the longest drydowns I have ever had to wait for in a fragrance. Well over an hour. It feels like the fragrance is testing me. I own a bottle of vintage extrait but unlike many of cacio's experiences, this juice is intact from the beginning. What I normally do is apply it in the morning after I shower, and by the time I leave the house, the beautiful drydown is wafting off my skin. Because it's the extrait, it lasts a while.

Everything I buy needs to have a great drydown, if it does, I don;t care about the opening.
    Only few exceptions like Sel Marin or citrus fragrances would be made.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

In my case, I'd admit a little over an hour as the maximum period/interval to wait for a fragrance to develop its drydown. Fragrances that I would buy almost strictly for the drydown and the longer term evolution, less for the top and middle notes, would be, in my opinion:

Ungaro II, Guerlain Heritage, most Jacomo fragrances including Rouge, CK Obsession, YSL Opium PH, Braukmann Classic, Yardley English Blazer- though all very different from each other, they all have a common point- the skin development (at least, to my nose) far exceeds the first impression, the top and middle notes, in complexity, smoothness, (in most cases) lasting power.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 15th November 2013 at 12:45 PM.

You live with the drydown for the longest period so I can understand doing this. Personally, I have to like it all

I agree with Kaern - I enjoy my lovely sparkling topnotes and heartnotes too much to buy something just for the drydown, but of course since it's with me the longest it's got to be good, too. There are just way too many utterly gorgeous perfumes out there to have to put up with anything less than wonderful in the overall composition. That said, there are perfumes whose best part is the drydown, just like there are some whose best part is in the top or heart, but for me to actually love it, they all have to be lovable.

Wingie - I suppose I can understand where y'all are coming from in some cases, but I'm so surprised you'd skip the top and heart of Chamade! It's been one of my favorite perfumes since I was a small child, and I still recall my first reaction to smelling it right out of the bottle - I was completely smitten with those ravishing topnotes! I frequently refresh well before the drydown just to prolong the glorious opening, and I can't begin to imagine what it would be like without them ...it actually makes me a little sad, lol!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Splash Bottles Suck

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Wingie - I suppose I can understand where y'all are coming from in some cases, but I'm so surprised you'd skip the top and heart of Chamade! It's been one of my favorite perfumes since I was a small child, and I still recall my first reaction to smelling it right out of the bottle - I was completely smitten with those ravishing topnotes! I frequently refresh well before the drydown just to prolong the glorious opening, and I can't begin to imagine what it would be like without them ...it actually makes me a little sad, lol!
    You're absolutely right Evangeline; the top notes of Chamade are gorgeous - actually my extrait has probably one of the most ravishing green openings I've ever smelled. But I'm not a galbanum lover - I'm sensitive to it and pick it out right away, and I get galbanum in the beginning stages of Chamade. I looked up the notes for Chamade on Osmoz, and sure enough galbanum is listed. So for this reason I have never been able to appreciate the earlier stages of Chamade as much as others do. It has always been the drydown that I have enjoyed the most.

Good opening is a must for me. That's why I will always prefer GIT or Chez Bond over Cool Water - Cool Water is as beautiful as the other two, imo, but only after a half-hour of synthetic yellow Pine-Sol mess.

Basenotes Member ben_from_boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    ... Fragrances that I would buy almost strictly for the drydown and the longer term evolution, less for the top and middle notes, would be, in my opinion:

...most Jacomo fragrances including Rouge...
    j de j rouge: this fragrance seems to have poor longevity when i wear it, though i enjoy the fleeting top notes. perhaps i just become anosmic to it after 20 minutes. i'll have to try this perfume again soon, knowing your experience with it.

I can think of at least several fragrance whose dry-downs I prefer to the opening. Chanel Coromandel, however, is a great example of what you describe. The beginning is rough for me, but the dry-down (after about 1/2 hour) is smooth and dark-chocolaty.

The good opening is important, of course, but I wouldn't buy a perfume only because of the top notes; the dry-down is, after all, what lasts on my skin.

Actually, there are more perfumes in which I like the top notes, but the dry-down turns into something not so exciting or even unpleasant.

Interesting thread - has anyone else avoided buying fragrances due to the drydown?
    Perhaps not entirely off-topic to the thread title as often a generic musky, or musky vanilla, or just 'meh' drydown will deter me from buying a fragrance these days so it's definitely a factor in my decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Interesting thread - has anyone else avoided buying fragrances due to the drydown?
    Perhaps not entirely off-topic to the thread title as often a generic musky, or musky vanilla, or just 'meh' drydown will deter me from buying a fragrance these days so it's definitely a factor in my decisions.
    I know that I have. In fact, I've yet to pull the trigger on Mitsouko or L'Heure Blue yet as I've been hesitant as to whether I like the drydown or not.

Interesting, danieq - it's actually one of the main reasons that I fail to buy things at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Definitely, great starts got ruined very often, it's even the most common thing I would say, specially the 'great on paper' designers, and, of course, citruses.

Weak drywdowns:
    Bigarade Concentree, Iskander, Sel Marin, Lady Vengeance, Trefle Pur, Endymion, Malabah, Opus 1870, Voyage Parfum, Derby (new), Lyric Man, Tom Ford for Men, ...

Uninteresting / boring / one-dimensional / linear / cheap and the likes:
    Yatagan, CDG EDP original, CDG 2 Man, Kenzo Jungle Homme, Rien, Declaration, ...

Late drydowns I disliked: Leather Oud, Absolue Pour Le Soir, Back to Black, Ambra Mediterranea, Tiffany for Men, Peety, Must de Cartier PH, Aziyade, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Eau Des Baux, ...
    All sickeningly sweet at close range on my skin.

I am actually glad, less money spent
    Last edited by Brian_Towers; 8th December 2013 at 05:38 PM.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Niche forum sounds good

It seems that the modern marketing policy is to concentrate on Top notes and forget the rest. Most fragrance producers aren't that concerned with repeat sales; a big launch, recoup the money plus a bit, and then on the next. Most purchasers of fragrance buy after a quick sniff, being persuaded by the glossy ads. In past times things were different. One got to know a fragrance (fewer were launched and fewer were bought), and if one liked one bought again.

Many good Base Note materials are now restricted or banned (best example is Oakmoss) and so the Base Note suffers.

Ill Wait 30 minutes for something lovely, definetly!
    It surely is annoying Me more when I loove the first chord just to see it dissappear in 15 min :/

While I like the opening of Parfum Satori Sakura, with its cherry blossom and floral beginning, I found the drydown of a very elegant incense with the much-lighter floral component to be impetus behind my purchase.