Code of Conduct

Cool Kors for Men an American fragrance?

First time posting here on BN, so here I go (and given the European predominance of quality frags and the diversity of nationalities among forum members, I am fully ready for any chiding or accusations of bigotry as long as my question is still answered...).

Being that the US economy is still in a rather dismal state, I am trying to add some colognes to my relatively small collection, but only under the condition that they are American made/produced/owned/marketed/licensed, etc. One fragrance which I tried out recently and liked quite a bit was Kors for Men. However, researching some info on Kors' fragrance line, it seems that Parfums Givenchy had the license for all Kors fragrances as of 2000 (a situation which I assume is analogous to COTY owning rights to all Calvin Klein fragrances).

Bottom line is, does anyone know if this still holds true today for Kors fragrances? I'd like to know if my hypothetical purchase money for Kors for Men would be going to Parfums Givenchy (a French company) rather than Kors (an American company) in the case that I made this purchase.

Respectfully,
    -JS

Default Re: Kors for Men an American fragrance?

I don't believe Michael Kors fragrances are made in France but not certain as I don't own any from this house. Someone who has a fragrance from this house should be able to tell you what it says on the bottom of the bottle or on the box if they still have the box. (363)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Whoever makes it, I didn't enjoy it much.

I'd recommend treading carefully when it comes to American fragrances. Some that I believe to be American and who aren't half bad are Giorgio Beverly Hills, Ralph Lauren Polo, Aramis line, some Estee Lauder. Halston is American as well, I think. Tom Ford. Oh, and DSquared2 Rocky Mountain Wood (well, Canadian. North American, eh?).

Kors for Men is made in the US. This much I know, from having seen the bottle firsthand. However, foreign companies can and do still set up manufacturing plants in the US. For example, all Klein fragrances that I have found are made in the US, yet COTY owns licensing rights to all Klein fragrances. So in me buying Obsession for Men, my money would ultimately be going to a European company rather than an American one.

Again, from my research, it seemed as of 2000 that Parfums Givenchy bought the licensing rights to Michael Kors fragrances. However, couldn't find any info on whether Givenchy *still* owns those rights. Fragrantica mentions COTY as the parent company Klein Fragrances, yet along the same lines does NOT mention Givenchy Parfums as the parent company of Kors Fragrances, hence I figured that ownership may have changed to another company.

Anyone know?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Slumberhouse
    Imaginary Authors
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmith84 View Post
    Kors for Men is made in the US. This much I know, from having seen the bottle firsthand. However, foreign companies can and do still set up manufacturing plants in the US. For example, all Klein fragrances that I have found are made in the US, yet COTY owns licensing rights to all Klein fragrances. So in me buying Obsession for Men, my money would ultimately be going to a European company rather than an American one.

Again, from my research, it seemed as of 2000 that Parfums Givenchy bought the licensing rights to Michael Kors fragrances. However, couldn't find any info on whether Givenchy *still* owns those rights. Fragrantica mentions COTY as the parent company Klein Fragrances, yet along the same lines does NOT mention Givenchy Parfums as the parent company of Kors Fragrances, hence I figured that ownership may have changed to another company.

Anyone know?
    Michael Kors

Michael Kors fragrance was originally licensed to a division of Givenchy (France) called American Designer Fragrances. Givenchy is owned by LVMH (France). The division also created fragrances for Kenneth Cole and Marc Jacobs.

A few years later LVMH let a lot of licenses expire, Kenneth Cole and Marc Jacobs went to Coty (US, but privately owned by a German-based holding company). Michael Kors went to Estée Lauder (US) division, Aramis.

However the Michael Kors fragrance was created by Harry Fremont (France) working at Firmenich (Switzerland).

Estee Lauder buy the fragrance juice from Firmenich, funding European companies too

Most of the brand pages have details of parent companies on them, so Michael Kors is here:

http://www.basenotes.net/company/100594

And here's a list of US brands, though you may want to check on their parent companies too

http://www.basenotes.net/company/country/US

My bottle of Michael Kors was made in UK.

Grant, thanks a ton for this info. This was more along the lines of what I was looking for. The bottle of Kors for Men that I sampled still had Parfums Givenchy listed on it, so it must have been made during that 2000-2003 time range. Fragrantica has similar pages to the ones you post, but basenotes is definitely much more comprehensive.
    Last edited by jakesmith84; 1st December 2013 at 05:24 PM.

There seem to be a lot of very good American fragrances entering the scene.

If you choose to further explore American fragrances, I would strongly recommend (as Tony T mentioned) Slumberhouse and PK Perfumes, as well as Kerosene (one of my personal favorites).

I'm pretty sure you're talking about a fragrance named Michael For Men, by Michael Kors. There is a Kors For Women, but there is no Kors For Men. There's also a Michael for women and a Michael Kors for women. I understand wanting to name a perfume after the perfume house (design house, really), but those kinds of names are so bad because they lead to confusion.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam