Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions Needed for Replacing Patou Homme Prive and Gucci Nobile

I'll be visiting Bergdorf Goodman in NYC this weekend and would like to purchase an elegant replacement scent, in the vein of Patou Pour Homme Prive or Gucci Nobile, for a professional man in his mid-50's who laments the discontinuation of these two scents. He prefers oriental, aromatic and floral notes, and the scent must be something that lasts all day, but can be worn in the workplace without offending others. He currently wears Dior Homme Intense, Guerlain Cuir Beluga and Amouage Dia, if that helps.

For those that are familiar with the brands and specific scents the store carries, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Suggestions Needed for Replacing Patou Homme Prive and Gucci Nobile

Four options I'd consider would be Insensé for Men by Givenchy, Pour Monsieur for Men by Chanel, Guerlain L'Homme L'Eau Boisée for Men by Guerlain, and Vetiver for Men by Guerlain. Vetyver for Men by Givenchy is pretty wonderful, too.

Pinnacos

What about Caron's Troisieme Homme? Seems to fit your description. It's very classy and elegant. Don't be put off by the great price it's a good one and it has that floral aspect to it.

Last edited by chopwet; 12th November 2013 at 09:23 PM.

Sound Scents

Boy, that is a tall order as those are two greats... Maybe Derby by Guerlain?
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Another for Derby by Guerlain.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Guerlainista

Penhaligons Sartorial is a modern stand in for Nobile.

Derby is a good chypre - not a bad sub for PPH.

Check out Arsene Lupin (not Voyou) as well. It's a nice floral leather.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for the replies, all.

Anything else in the Amouage or Roja Dove lines? He really likes Dia Man. I've heard Beloved Man might fit the bill, but at $425 a bottle, I'm not sure it's worth that much.

Thanks again.

Derby for Sure...
    Vetiver Guerlain
    Serge Lutens La Myhrre has a great floral accord

Stop off at Tiffany's and pick up a bottle of Tiffany for Men - I'm assuming there's one nearby?

Basenotes Plus

Roja Dove Fetish, Enigma and Diaghilev would all be very opulent alternatives, especially Diaghilev. It sells for $990 a bottle though, not sure what your budget is.

From something closer to earth, another vote for Derby. It's a classic.

Is it odd that I have a large bottle of Gucci Nobile and like it but NEVER wear it?

Just peeking in here because I have a sample of vintage Patou Pour Homme Privee (thank you gallant and legendary Scentimental) that I have nursed for more than several years now and adore its elegant smooth character.
    My husband has been wearing Le Troisiemme Homme as a signature scent and, as he nears the end of his vintage bottle, I have been searching for a replacement. Nice to see many recommendations for Derby on this thread. I sampled it in Chicago at the recent basenotes meetup and was quite enchanted.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Roja Dove Fetish, Enigma and Diaghilev would all be very opulent alternatives, especially Diaghilev. It sells for $990 a bottle though, not sure what your budget is.

From something closer to earth, another vote for Derby. It's a classic.

Is it odd that I have a large bottle of Gucci Nobile and like it but NEVER wear it?
    Thanks all, for your suggestions. After trying out several, I purchased Roja Dove Danger Pour Homme EDP (would like to have gotten the parfum, but it was more than I could spend). This is one helluva sexy, sophisticated fragrance, and it reminded me alot of Patou Prive. I think my friend is really going to be * wow'ed * by this one.