Code of Conduct

Default What to expect from T.M. B*Men?

I remember trying it "ages" ago but that was just on paper and nothing more. Lately I'm pondering about buying it. My ultimate plan is also Pure Havane and Pure Malt, latter will most likely be a blind buy. Before that I'd really like to own B*Men just for the f*** of it, truth be told. However, before I do it, and most likely I might regardless, I want you to tell me, what am I to expect?

Default Re: What to expect from T.M. B*Men?

I would purchase Pure Havane and Pure Malt before getting B*Men. Not much to brag about on this one. I get a licorice vibe with B*Men. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad scent just one I'm not crazy about.

A very pleasant experience IMO. If you can get it for a good price,I'd spring for it. (379)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Nice to have to complete the collection, but it's a bit of a weird one to me. Smells like anise and rhubarb.

It's good. Very masculine. Get it.

Awesome, awesome dry down

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Nice to have to complete the collection, but it's a bit of a weird one to me. Smells like anise and rhubarb.
    B-men is not like PM, PH or A-men.
    B-men is more similar to Taste of Fragrance (minus the chilli pepper opening).
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

Banned
    Blog Entries

B-Men should B-Discontinued
    Not to my liking at all..
    Rather light also

It does have a great dry down, it's like A*Men's but less on the patchouli and more on the coffee. The opening is sweet and spicy, somewhat reminiscent of Diesel Plus Plus imo. Very underrated, and next to Taste of Fragrance, it's the best in the house, to me.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Junkie

Good, but not great. I enjoyed wearing my sample, but didn't think i would've worn it alot if i bought a bottle, so i never pulled the trigger.

Thanks for the answers! I believe I won't be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Smells like anise and rhubarb.
    Agree. I have it but I'm not wildly fond of it.

I'm really looking forward to feel its game XD

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I'm really looking forward to feel its game XD
    I had really modest expectations for b*men, I think its truly fantastic. Not Pure Havane/Malt level, but definitely great.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

To my nose, a fruity gourmand with a slightly acidic (but not necessarily citrus-based) note that manages to be quite balanced, smooth yet masculine. Shamelessly modern, not the most intricate nor multi-layered fragrance, yet not blatantly generic. In fact, it experiments and quite successfully, credibly with certain notes, especially rhubarb, not that common in designer fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I had really modest expectations for b*men, I think its truly fantastic. Not Pure Havane/Malt level, but definitely great.
    Thanks, I can't wait to blind buy it, just like with Rochas Man and it turns out I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    To my nose, a fruity gourmand with a slightly acidic (but not necessarily citrus-based) note that manages to be quite balanced, smooth yet masculine. Shamelessly modern, not the most intricate nor multi-layered fragrance, yet not blatantly generic. In fact, it experiments and quite successfully, credibly with certain notes, especially rhubarb, not that common in designer fragrances.
    Thanks Russel, you are always elaborate, I appreciate that a lot!

You can expect one of the best Muglers along with A*Men. Better than Pure Malt, Pure Leather, Pure Shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    You can expect one of the best Muglers along with A*Men. Better than Pure Malt, Pure Leather, Pure Shot...
    I really do believe that it's better than Pure Shot! XD I will eventually blind buy Pure Malt. When it comes to Pure Havane - I have a good idea because I smelled it indirectly, that is - on a friend when I was visiting Sarajevo in 2011. and I liked it a lot then so it's won't be a complete blind buy.

I've actually just finished my first 50ml bottle of B*men and have several in reserve. It's not the projection and sillage powerhouse that A*men is (or was), and I've always found it far more wearable during the day, whereas A*men I wear quite rarely, and mainly at night. It has many notes in common with A*men, but not the tar and chocolate.

Plainly many like it, and many aren't that fond of it - though, given its being discontinued suggests the latter are in the majority.

At one stage, the 50ml rubber tester bottles were going for $15 down here. More recently, the 100ml refill bottles could be had for $22. Though prices have since gone higher.
    Regards,
    Renato

I dont know why but smelling it straight from bottle it reminds me of Zino straight from bottle. Its very hard to describe. Closest from A*Men range is Taste of Fragrance but it has kinda fruity vibe and is definitely less sweet. Its not something that I would wear often but if money is not issue and you can get it for cheap (like 20-30 euros for 100ml), you should get it just to complete collection
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've actually just finished my first 50ml bottle of B*men and have several in reserve. It's not the projection and sillage powerhouse that A*men is (or was), and I've always found it far more wearable during the day, whereas A*men I wear quite rarely, and mainly at night. It has many notes in common with A*men, but not the tar and chocolate.

Plainly many like it, and many aren't that fond of it - though, given its being discontinued suggests the latter are in the majority.

At one stage, the 50ml rubber tester bottles were going for $15 down here. More recently, the 100ml refill bottles could be had for $22. Though prices have since gone higher.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Thanks for the explanation Renato. I myself noticed it is a frag seldom spoken of and rarely worn, yet when I read the reviews and started this thread it did bring attention, albeit not an extensive one. I somehow think that B*Men is not finished with this community, well, not ultimately at least and not yet.

i never tried bmen but my experience with the house is that you should go in with low expectations

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    i never tried bmen but my experience with the house is that you should go in with low expectations
    That's not the case with most people, be they here on the forum or not, however I can relate to your emotion, or lack thereof to be precise as I understand that it happens sometimes that people don't like the offering from a certain house.

I like B*Men. My bottle of B*Men that has been sprayed by me hasn't been sprayed much, and my other bottle I maybe haven't sprayed at all.

Btw, B*Men was maybe discontinued in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I dont know why but smelling it straight from bottle it reminds me of Zino straight from bottle. Its very hard to describe. Closest from A*Men range is Taste of Fragrance but it has kinda fruity vibe and is definitely less sweet. Its not something that I would wear often but if money is not issue and you can get it for cheap (like 20-30 euros for 100ml), you should get it just to complete collection
    Unfortunately not a chance that I can try A*Men flankers in Croatia, well they do have Pure Shot and A*Men here, but other offerings are limited, very, very much so. Zino, you say. Well Zino I have and Zino I love

Considering my recent experience with a sample of A*Men -- a disgusting, sickly, chemical syrup that I had to throw away -- I don't expect much of anything from this brand. However, as A*Men was my only experience take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    Considering my recent experience with a sample of A*Men -- a disgusting, sickly, chemical syrup that I had to throw away -- I don't expect much of anything from this brand. However, as A*Men was my only experience take it with a grain of salt.
    A*Men is very strong and might be way to pungent for the inexperienced nose, on the other hand might be a frag never to be loved. It is, like Joop! Homme love or hate frag, no middle grounds.

Today I bought a backup bottle of B*Men, will be in my hands in a day or two. That much I got to love it! I most certainly can't wait to try Pure Malt

What to expect? Hmm...

Patchouli - definitely (couldn't be related to A*Men without it)
    Licorice - yes
    Smokyness - certainly (this might be all I smell of the vetiver note thats supposed to be in here)
    Woody - very, but more like Christmas Tree than Hamster Cage
    Sweet, Sugary - it's there but there is a lot going on above it
    Sour fruits - yes, not really Rhubarb, maybe more like sour berries, and very subtle
    Peanuts - maybe, only smells like peanuts sometimes
    White Musk - maybe, if you overapply it
    Chocolate - no
    Coffee - no
    Mint - no
    Tar - hell no!

Such a shame this was discontinued. A wonderful fragrance from beginning to end that has different stages to its development that truly takes you on an olfactory journey.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    What to expect? Hmm...

Patchouli - definitely (couldn't be related to A*Men without it)
    Licorice - yes
    Smokyness - certainly (this might be all I smell of the vetiver note thats supposed to be in here)
    Woody - very, but more like Christmas Tree than Hamster Cage
    Sweet, Sugary - it's there but there is a lot going on above it
    Sour fruits - yes, not really Rhubarb, maybe more like sour berries, and very subtle
    Peanuts - maybe, only smells like peanuts sometimes
    White Musk - maybe, if you overapply it
    Chocolate - no
    Coffee - no
    Mint - no
    Tar - hell no!
    It's an old thread, but thanks as it gives the insight to others who never had the opportunity to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Such a shame this was discontinued. A wonderful fragrance from beginning to end that has different stages to its development that truly takes you on an olfactory journey.
    Indeed I agree, subjectively of course! Never became a hype like Pure Malt and Pure Havane, however I believe it would have their status if it was not discontinued or if it was launched in 2008. or 2009. instead of 2004.. Non the less I think this flanker is a genius one.

in my opinion you should start with either pure havane or pure malt
    i bought pure havane actually and i like it very much and maybe if u own both of them you will forget about b men because its an inferior quality in my opinion