Post Thanks / Like

Default S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 14 November 2013

Hi all - have a great day!

Pell Wall's Pretty in Pink.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 14 November 2013

Good morning all,

hope you are all well!

Wearing Repetto today.......it is lovely and fresh. And it reminds me of the people here who always put up such beautiful photographs such as Evangeline, Jon, Roberto, Mike, Mimi .....well so many of you...sorry I can't list you all! It's really nice and thank you to those who put up the lovely photos you gorgeous guys and gals.

To anyone dealing with heartache or pain or extra pressure......my thoughts and prayers.

My mother always said the only real treasures in life are people, not things, and it's always lovely to find such kind people here!

Stay well and happy everybody(bound to happen once Quarry appears and makes us laugh!)

sea roses
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning.

Hindu Kush, for me, today. Have a nice day
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Morning all!

(((Sea Roses))), thank you again for your positivity.

Q, your post *did* make me smile yesterday!

l have a day off today, & it's bright & sunny out, so l'm seizing the opportunity to do some tidying up in the garden. Wearing Shiso by Aftelier, from my sample. lts green-herbal & warm-spicy notes seem perfect for a cold autumn day spent outdoors.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    My mother always said the only real treasures in life are people, not things, and it's always lovely to find such kind people here!

Stay well and happy everybody(bound to happen once Quarry appears and makes us laugh!)

sea roses

Wonderful sentiments, Sea Roses (Mrs Q is certainly one of our crown jewels).

Heading off to Heathrow later for a short break in Oslo / Lillehammer where many architectural, scenic, and culinary temptations await. Staying at the Oslo Radisson with it's amazing 21st floor bar, where the panoramic city views have to be seen to be believed. Will also be touring the Olympic park at Lillehammer, where we should see our first autumnal snow. Back Sunday. SotD is (predictably, but appropriately) Geir.

Take care, all

You are a sweet one yourself, Sea Roses.

Smelling of Moonflower by Thymes. A bit on the sweet side, almost too sweet. If it was a little less on the sugary side, I'd like it more.

How do I get rid of attached thumbnails? I got used to Huddler layout I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Sea Roses that was just lovely.

Jon, your getaway sounds just wonderful! Enjoy.

SOTD is Badgley Mischka

((((hugs)))) as needed and best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Good morning, thanks for the lovely welcoming words the last few times I've posted here. Lovely reading this thread, always.

In a No.5 rut I guess - will shake it up tomorrow!

Have a great day/evening

Wasn't there a PK perfumes sample pass going on on Huddler? I forget. Wasn't it by Wooznib? Am I remembering right here? I know I was on the list. And Twolf?

As far as my scent, Moonflower has toned down a lot..which is good.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 14 November 2013

Eau de Toilette Issue
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Fleurs de Rocaille.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Virgin Island Water in the AM
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

You are too kind, Sea Roses, and sweet to boot.

Kalli, yes we were supposed to be. It is the second time I am out of PK samples, first time was not because of BN, life had just interfered.

Continuing best wishes to Miss Ma'am.

Teo Cabanel Alahine. Lavender honey on a pillow of benzoin, amber and sandalwood.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Twolf; 14th November 2013 at 11:45 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! It was raining during the night and now it's snowing, so the roads are icy.

Jon, hope you have a great time in Oslo.

Wearing Kelly Caleche this morning.

Have a great day!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all!

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, everyone!

I'm in Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie this morning, which provides me with the perfect opportunity to post another beautiful photo I believe our darling Sea Roses will appreciate.

Y'all have a wonderful day!

.............Roses by the Sea, by Evgeni Dinev

Danielle - I find myself in Chanel ruts quite frequently, hehe! I just recently climbed out of one, but I'm sure it won't be too long before I'm right there with you again; no matter what the situation, I can always count on one Chanel or another to be just right.

Bon voyage, Jon - have a wonderful time in Oslo!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 14th November 2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

That's much better than my pic, E! Very nice

I will have to retest that Creed at some point, when my samples are unpacked after the move.

Post Thanks / Like

Your painting is beautiful too, kalli - we can't ever have too many gorgeous vistas of roses and sea!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Creed Bois Du Portugal

Post Thanks / Like

Hugs and thanks to you, Sea Roses, for reminding us all what's really important! Jon, hoping your holiday is everything you could ever hope for, and (((((everyone)))) just because.

I was looking through some of my saved gift/high-end shopping bags to corral the contents of care packages for my son (in college) and a couple of his friends for whom I'm an honorary extra mom, and I came across my Barneys bag from the Chicago meet-up... Discovered an unmarked sample in there, with a distinctly Lutens purple/grey color and I seemed to recall having requested a sniff of the reformulated Feminite du Bois... It was like a birthday present a couple of months late out of the blue!

The original FdB never worked on my skin, though I recognized it as a beautifully constructed fragrance and it made me sad that I couldn't wear it. The reformulated version probably has some synthetics, but I *LOVE* how it smells on me! I must have the skin of a peasant - can't handle the real, high-end ingredients. I'm also likely to end up with a peasant's wallet adding this one to my Wish List... Ah, well. Perhaps I can manage some self-control ::running to freeze credit cards in the nearest ice tray::

Feminite du Bois notes: Ginger, cinnamon, clove, plum, peach, orange blossom, violet, cedar, sandalwood, vanilla, benzoin.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Joining ComDiva in Lutens today, mine being the oh so lovely Douce Amere, which I know Larimar is a fan of also.

Love your sentiments, searose!

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Your painting is beautiful too, kalli - we can't ever have too many gorgeous vistas of roses and sea!
    Or pics of magnolias. I just stumbled upon the 'Star Magnolia', which I think is very nice! Never have seen that before. I need to explore that note more...have only sniffed a couple. Wooznib's and that Gucci's Glorious, Fabulous, Marvelous whatever it was magnolia. The Gucci I didn't think much of.

Now wearing a bit of Love and Tears.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! Thank you for all the sweet welcomes back yesterday.

In Hermes with Kiliwia; I'm in Eau des Merveilles from a sample and am enjoying it very much. (Kalli, I must also be having attachment issues. No idea why this picture is so tiny. I have tried attaching from URL and computer and it is just showing thumbnail in post? No idea.)

Speaking of Hermes, Kiliwia, your picture of Kelly Caleche reminds me of something I wanted to mention. I remember discussing Bottega Veneta/Kelly Caleche a couple months ago, and just thinking maybe my bottle of Kelly Caleche was off, because it is so overpowering and not at all a feminine rose leathery scent. I pulled my bottle out again the other day and finally it hit me - my juice is yellowish/ambery, and NOT the pink it should be. I bought the bottle some time ago on ebay; it is possible it is a fake or has just aged poorly? Anyone else have yellowish Kelly Caleche EDT? (Or maybe my juice is totally normal and I just don't like Kelly Caleche as much as I used to...)

iodine, last night I was reading Alice Munro's latest short story collection, Dear Life. In the second story there is a doctor who has many books, including one book on the Hindu Kush. Unrelated to the story, really, but I thought of you.

Jon, that sounds like a fabulous trip!! Hope you have a great time! Also, I love the picture you posted today.... I wish I could jump into my computer screen and be there right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, good smelling people.

OK now this is the epitome of a 'first world problem' but I am tall and thin, and it's hard to find clothes. I like stuff from Gap because it runs long/tall in the regular sizes, but they do have a "Tall" line as well, which fits better through the torso...But they reduced the sizes available in Tall and cut out the small sizes - they go from 4 now (which certainly OUGHT to fit me, theoretically, but with vanity sizing it doesn't). Every once in a while, though, I will see a 0Tall or 00Tall (yes, double-aught. They grew the sizes so much that they need a double zero now) which I assume is overstock from what they gave the models to wear. I wish to emphasise that I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a fashion model. But tallish and not endowed with many curves, so the dimensions are similar.

Which leads me to the Scent Of Today. I snagged a pair of very long lean pink pants, and since they were model pants put my hair into the quick chignon and threw on a slouchy black sweater and black pumps. Feeling oh so very posh, so am wearing Neil Morris Posh today.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good morning all! I'm in Diabolo Rose today.

Skin On Skin by L'Artisan
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Wearing 'June Jacobs' soft & pretty "Better Love" {Naturel edp}

Yummy.

Top notes: bergamot, rich cedar and incense.
    Heart: jasmine, cinnamon, clove and vetiver.
    Base: sandalwood, tonka bean, benzoin and patchouli.

Have a beautifully scented day !

Post Thanks / Like

Creed - Spice & Wood

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    Speaking of Hermes, Kiliwia, your picture of Kelly Caleche reminds me of something I wanted to mention. I remember discussing Bottega Veneta/Kelly Caleche a couple months ago, and just thinking maybe my bottle of Kelly Caleche was off, because it is so overpowering and not at all a feminine rose leathery scent. I pulled my bottle out again the other day and finally it hit me - my juice is yellowish/ambery, and NOT the pink it should be. I bought the bottle some time ago on ebay; it is possible it is a fake or has just aged poorly? Anyone else have yellowish Kelly Caleche EDT? (Or maybe my juice is totally normal and I just don't like Kelly Caleche as much as I used to...)
    Erin, I have a 1.6 oz bottle of the edp and it's a light pink color. I don't remember if I bought it from Hermes or somewhere like Beauty Encounter. It's a very light floral woody musk. I don't think you are the only one who has had a problem with bad smelling Kelly Caleche, on Fragrantica there is a review by someone named scentedrat, that has had a similar problem. They described it as heavy and dirty, almost rancid. Whether it's a fake or has just been badly stored, I don't know but Kelly Caleche is beautiful and it always makes me wonder why I don't wear it more often. About posting pictures, I've had to go back to using photobucket or else it's with thumbnails. I really liked posting pictures on the Huddler site, it was so quick and easy.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 14th November 2013 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. Robert Piquet Visa.
    DONNA

Erin, I need to check my bottle at home, but mine is the EDT, and I do not remember it being pink. And certainly not rancid. I will try to remember to check this evening after work. But the EDT certainly is not a leather bomb, it is more of an illusion of leather. And the rose does not pop out either, I think I have read that the EDP has more rose?

Post Thanks / Like

Christian Dior Dolce Vita

I'm standing VERY close to cello! Mmmmmmh smelling good
    I hope mike is having a splendid time. He sure deserves it.
    Sharing the house in La Myrrhe today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    iodine, last night I was reading Alice Munro's latest short story collection, Dear Life. In the second story there is a doctor who has many books, including one book on the Hindu Kush. Unrelated to the story, really, but I thought of you.
    Oh thanks, ErinK, I'm honoured! I guess we should tell Mr Dubrana (aka AbdesSalaam Attar) that the mere name of his- wonderful!- fragrance has such a power of suggestion!
    Moreover, Alice Munro is one of my favourite writers, and I'm really happy of being associated with her! I'll think of you when I'll be reading Dear Life!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wearing Mona Di Orio Violet Fumee this afternoon. I'm getting more lavender than violet but it's nice.

Last edited by Kiliwia; 14th November 2013 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wearing Nohiba from my sample this evening. Yep, still don't think this retro-style aldehydic woody floral is quite me.

Kalli, that's a beautiful painting! Where did you find it?
    There was a star magnolia tree in the garden of the house l lived in previously. lt was always the first thing to flower around February each year, & it was truly stunning.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Black Code it was for last night:
    Brit for Men it was during the day.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dear, dear, pressed for time. I’ve caught up with all of your funny, fragrant and picturesque posts, but haven’t time to comment today. Next week should be less hectic. Is a picture worth a thousand words? Had to have a new headshot for my client who’s having his magazines’ website revamped. Grins from me …
    BuslaffHedshot.jpg

Sharing that Chanel rut: Bois des Iles.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

What a nice pic, Q - that's a keeper!

I'm in Hermès Rouge tonight ....y'all have a good one.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful picture, Quarry!!

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Wearing Nohiba from my sample this evening. Yep, still don't think this retro-style aldehydic woody floral is quite me.

Kalli, that's a beautiful painting! Where did you find it?
    There was a star magnolia tree in the garden of the house l lived in previously. lt was always the first thing to flower around February each year, & it was truly stunning.
    I found it here:

http://karennorthwells.blogspot.com/...ose-ttime.html

Quarry,

I have yet to try that Hermes Rouge, have they reformulated that one at all? Or is it the same as the one they sell now, pretty much?

Post Thanks / Like

I started late in the afternoon because I was waiting for samples in the mail from a kind perfumista. So, now I have Mona di Orio Vanille on one hand and Ashoka by Neela Vermeire on the other. For some reason the Ashoka drydown reminds me of Diorissimo. The Mona di Orio Vanille is most pleasant, but I wish it would project more. Otherwise I am very happy sitting on my sofa sniffing and typing.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have some really lovely paintings on this thread today! I like those violets, Kiliwia-- I wonder who painted it?

We had out furnace cleaned today (technically it's a boiler as we have hot water heat) and learned that it is finally going to need to be replaced, as the gaskets are starting to leak. I was told we could end up with a flood in the basement if we let it go too long.
    Like we really need another $5000 expenditure right now. *Grumble*

Ugh, 5k? That's expensive!!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    We have some really lovely paintings on this thread today! I like those violets, Kiliwia-- I wonder who painted it
    30 Roses, the artist is Angel Fehr http://angelafehr.com/wordpress/2012...in-watercolor/ , I probably should have included the name with the painting.

Sorry about your heating problem, might be worth getting a second opinion, when it's something so expensive. Unless you know the person who gave you the estimate and know they are on the up and up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    We have some really lovely paintings on this thread today! I like those violets, Kiliwia-- I wonder who painted it?

We had out furnace cleaned today (technically it's a boiler as we have hot water heat) and learned that it is finally going to need to be replaced, as the gaskets are starting to leak. I was told we could end up with a flood in the basement if we let it go too long.
    Like we really need another $5000 expenditure right now. *Grumble*
    The price of home maintenance can be disheartening sometimes. I know because last summer I spent $3500 on plumbing.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We've had this tech come out to service our boiler before; I've chatted with him in previous years and never had any qualms about his genuineness. Plus, the boiler is 28 years old. Nothing lasts forever.

We will have to save up to buy the new boiler and that will give us time to learn more about the gasket situation.