Code of Conduct

Default Christmas Present Ideas

Hi all,

Long time lurker (especially on the men's forum) first time poster. I'm looking for a christmas present for my wife who admittedly said the other day "I hate perfumes, they all smell like my grandmother, I think I'll just use essential oils" So in light of having a wife who smells like vanilla candles for the rest of my life. I'm hoping a few of you can help me find a good scent that doesn't smell too "old lady" perfumey but is still classy for a young professional. In her collection she currently has Gucci Envy, Dolce Gabanna the One and Givenchy Ange de Omen. I've become very good at picking out scents for myself that she will like (Allure pour Homme, Burberry London, Bleu de Chanel and Geir) but I guess I've been striking out when it comes to buying scents for her to wear.

I admittedly have a poor nose when it comes to women's fragrances, but one I thought would be in contention while we were in Epcot was Geir Ness' Laila (although this could be another swing and miss). Any help and advice would be much appreciated, thanks all!

Default Re: Christmas Present Ideas

Violets don't smell like grandma.

Try Paris - Balenciaga.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Gucci Envy Me- Pink & White Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

Try Paris - Balenciaga.
    One of my wife's favorites.(454)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I tested Si by Giorgio Armani recently and was pleasantly surprised. To quote Now Smell This: "likable and wearable". There's nothing groundbreaking about it and it has that familiar fruit-flower combination, but done really well this time. It smells au courant and nicely sophisticated.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'll wait for a few more and then get some samples.

Furrypine, We'll be in Oslo next week, can't wait to experience Norway!

Gucci Envy may not smell grandma, but it sure smelles perfumey in a big way ...

I wonder if what she means is that she doesn't like animalic-powdery, and so she prefers modern scrubbed clean (eg Kenzo Flower), or if she doesn't like complex, and prefers simpler natural smelling thing (in which case, if you want to go niche, you should try Diptyque - which tends to smell natural, eg Philosykos for fig, Eau for clove, Ombre dans l'eau for green and rose, etc)

cacio

Le Parfum Elie Saab by Francis Kurkdjian

The perfume opens with notes of orange blossom. Jasmine is in the heart, including both Grandiflorum and Sambac, whereas the base consists of cedar, patchouli and rose honey accord.

(courtesy of Fragrantica)

I think you are correct on the aversion to powdery scents. That probably explains it better than I could.
    "The mind once enlightened cannot again grow dark" ~Thomas Paine

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

I wonder if what she means is that she doesn't like animalic-powdery, and so she prefers modern scrubbed clean (eg Kenzo Flower), or if she doesn't like complex, and prefers simpler natural smelling thing (in which case, if you want to go niche, you should try Diptyque - which tends to smell natural, eg Philosykos for fig, Eau for clove, Ombre dans l'eau for green and rose, etc)

cacio
    Kenzo Flower is a big time powder bomb. It smells a lot like baby powder. My wife used to wear it a lot. If she doesn't like powdery, that might not be a hit. It is great though.

The Diptyques are great suggestions. They are definitely less perfumey than most,

If you think she'd be open to more modern (not perfumey) scents, there are some interesting wearable ones in the Etat Libre d'Orange and Comme des Garcons range.

CDG Stephen Jones is violets and rocks
    CDG Black is pepper and incense
    ELdO Jasmine et Cigarettes is what it sounds like
    ELdO Eau de Protection Rossy de Palma - blood and roses

many others...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Splash Bottles Suck

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I tested Si by Giorgio Armani recently and was pleasantly surprised. To quote Now Smell This: "likable and wearable". There's nothing groundbreaking about it and it has that familiar fruit-flower combination, but done really well this time. It smells au courant and nicely sophisticated.
    Turin liked this too - gave it four stars in one of his Style Arabia reviews. Must try it!

I would suggest Bottega Veneta EDP - I've seen few women who dislike it.

Quote Originally Posted by btkoten View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'll wait for a few more and then get some samples.

Furrypine, We'll be in Oslo next week, can't wait to experience Norway!
    Hope you have a good time here. Try the reindeer, seriously, it's a lovely meat.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Maybe order samples and choose somthing together?
    She may prefer vanilla dominant scents-Pink Sugar,Fantasy ,L by Lolita Lempicka(has immortelle that may add interest to your nose; or lavender /mimosa/port wine (in your Burberry London) ?
    Fragrance Omnivore

Quote Originally Posted by btkoten View Post
    I think you are correct on the aversion to powdery scents. That probably explains it better than I could.
    Maybe something like Le Labo Rose 31, spicy rose very wearable on a lady and can be customised with her name?
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    Got samples of all of these that just arrived yesterday, she tried the Ombre dans l'eau this morning. I liked it (that could just be because it's been about 6 months since she has worn any scents besides deodorant), we'll see what she says after work, thanks for the advice.
    "The mind once enlightened cannot again grow dark" ~Thomas Paine