Code of Conduct

Default Why are these amber fragrances discontinued?

I recently sniffed Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche and immediately fell in love. To my disappointment, it has been discontinued. I was only able to find it from one online retailer. I have Ambre Sultan from SL. But I love Ambre Fetiche a lot more. In searching for a future substitute, I noticed the highly rated Tom Ford Amber Absolute is also discontinued. I am wondering why these fragrances are discontinued. Amber doesn't strike me as something so rare like Mysore sandalwood. Maybe Amber as a scent is not popular enough and the low sales volume justified the discontinuation? Any thought?

----------------------
    Update: looks like Ambre Fetiche is brought back. It was removed from Annick Goutal's website for some time. Now it appears on the site again.
    Last edited by sunflower77; 20th December 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Default Re: Why are these amber fragrances discontinued?

In the case of the Annick Goutal, perhaps it's because of poor sales as viewed by the company, and a decision was made to stop making it thus increasing difficulty finding it, but not sure. Glad I own it though.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

"It's all economics by dear Watson" you don't sell we don't make no more...the laws of supply and demand in action, regardless how great the juice is......Cheerios

There is always EBay, Amazon and basenotes market place and much P.I. Work to find them....peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I love amber fragrances and actually wearing Ambre Sultan today. I hate to hear about houses discontinuing that area of their line. I had heard very good things about Ambre Fetiche the Goutal release. Maybe they may reissue it at a later date with a better marketing drive.

With respect to Tom Ford, Amber Absolute was quite a costly production and, from what I understand, the scent never sold as well as some of their more accessible fragrances. It's not a challenging scent by any means, but its very tenacious and lacks the versatility of some of the others. If you look at what they've been producing lately, you'll see that they moved away from more interesting, forward-thinking scents (Moss Breches, Japon Noire, Purple Patchouli) to snoozy crowd-pleasers (Cafe Rose, Atelier d'Orient etc.) Contrast Amber Absolute with their latest amber (Rive d'Ambre) and that should tell you the direction they're heading. And this is why Tobacco Oud surprised me as, although I don't personally find it to be that challenging, given how safe and bland the line became, that scent's actually quite rugged and dirty.

Generally speaking though, an argument could be made that amber is a bit played out. Although I love it personally, and have cycled my way through twenty or thirty to find my favorites, there's only so much that can be done with it to distinguish it from others. One of the last I smelled that pushed the boundaries a little was Profumum's Fiore d'Ambra as it took a solid amber and merged it with YSL's Opium as a sort of forward-thinking tribute to both the YSL and orientals in general.

Annick Goutal I think because it didn't sell enough on a global scale. I'm sure it had its fan on a smaller scale.

Amber Absolute because it was so popular it stunted the sales of other perfumes from the line. Sorta like the 911 with the Cayman & Boxster.

for swap/sale:

Agree that these are 2 of the very best amber fragrances ever. Own and love both. I assume that it is due to sluggish sales. Basenoters may like these fragrances, but we tend to have very different requirements for a fragrance than the general populatiom.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Amber Absolute because it was so popular it stunted the sales of other perfumes from the line.
    I can only assume this was meant in jest.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Amber Absolute is the bomb..
    But Deadidol must be right..
    I will cherish my 30 ml

Coincidence probably

Amber can be tricksy and not to everyone's tastes especially the bitter 'souk' type.

I think as pointed out they tend to use fairly expensive ingredients when done well.
    I still have the 250 ml bottle of Amber Absolute Yo!

Ambre Fétiche is still on the AG official website. Who says it's discontinued?
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Ambre orient also dissappeared from the Armani Prive line.. may be that amber going out of fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by lottalotta View Post
    Ambre orient also dissappeared from the Armani Prive line.. may be that amber going out of fashion?
    Is that in Sweden only? I ask because it can still be purchased through the US Armani Prive site.
    (1334)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Is that in Sweden only? I ask because it can still be purchased through the US Armani Prive site.
    (1334)
    In Sweden it is replaced by Ambre Soie.. the word here is that it is because it is taken out of production.
    Rumours also claim that Mitzah from dior is being taken out of production, anybody to confirm or deny?
    Theyre both kind of big bugdet for me, and Ive been trying to decide between them for way too long.. If they are both being axed its high time to make a budget and decide..

I asked for a sample of Ambre Orient in a Belgium shop and I got an Ambre Soie sample because Orient wasn't available (anymore).

I shortly called a department store here in Berlin (KaDeWe) and got the confirmation that Ambre Orient is discontinued and replaced by Myrrhe Imperiale. There are single bottles still available in Galeries Lafayette Berlin and Dubai (and surely somewhere else, but for those places I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    I shortly called a department store here in Berlin (KaDeWe) and got the confirmation that Ambre Orient is discontinued and replaced by Myrrhe Imperiale. There are single bottles still available in Galeries Lafayette Berlin and Dubai (and surely somewhere else, but for those places I know).
    Sad that this one is being discontinued as well, I will have to pick up a bottle while I still can. I'm still on the lookout for more bottles of Amber Absolute, IMO it is one of the best amber's I have ever smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    Wow. That is unfortunate. This is probably my #1 Amber scent. Great stuff. Luckily I have a bottle - I would highly recommend people give this a try and decide if it's for you before it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Wow. That is unfortunate. This is probably my #1 Amber scent. Great stuff. Luckily I have a bottle - I would highly recommend people give this a try and decide if it's for you before it's gone.
    Lucky I have a bottle too. The Armani boutique on 5th Avenue in NYC had a few in stock of it as did the Bergdorf Goodman store. Also still available at Nieman Marcus website, but who knows for how much longer.
    (1847)
    Last edited by hednic; 20th December 2013 at 03:25 AM.

Amber Orient is still on sale at the Armani website. Thank goodness I bought a small bottle of Tom Ford's Amber Absolute.

Just bought a 50ml decant of Amber Absolute on Ebay as an Xmas gift to myself. It's my amber HG, and I knew if I waited much longer the prices would keep getting higher. Yeah, it's a specific and intense sort of scent but it is a true winner. I regret never getting a FB.

Deadidol, thanks for the Fiore d'Ambra rec. Opium is another fave of mine...

Just a heads up - Ambre Fetiche testers are on sale at Frangrancenet under Annick Goutal Orientalist (for men).
    With the 20% off coupons the cost is just under $70.
    Happy New Year!
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Annick Goutal has repackaged the whole range. So that could be the rest so many have disappeared. But TKMaxx(in the UK), seemed to have quiet a few different ones for a few months. I adore Myrrhe Ardente and it has disappeared, but I was lucky to get a back up bottle on ebay UK very cheaply. So for the Ambre Fetiche keep your eyes on ebay stores and discount stores as well. I got a 15mls mini quiet cheap some months back.
    DONNA