Code of Conduct

Default Basenotes shutdown/ loss of post history?

i did some research to find that basenotes tends to get shutdown for modifying or editing purposes pretty often. Now im a little disappointed because i joined not too long ago and i made a decent amount of posts that i would like to look back to and threads i started. Everything seems to be gone and i cant seem to find the for sale forum section. Does this always happen to everyone?

Default Re: Basenotes shutdown/ loss of post history?

"Patience is a Virtue" we have to work on when we lack it......Peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I understand that all posts from Huddler are in an archive and will be restored at some point.

http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    "Patience is a Virtue"
    This. (474)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I wouldn't really count on ever seeing the Huddler data restored. I personally think it is being handled the same way scandals are in politics - (1) deny there is a problem (2) admit something is wrong, and that you are "investigating" (3) promise corrective action when the investigation is complete (4) after months and months interest will fall away, and then if it is brought up again, just say "we are moving forward, and choose not to look at the mistakes of the past, but ways we can work better for the people moving forward, blah blah..."

I don't mean to be contrarian or negative, I just know how data is handled in databases (it's what I do). If the restoration didn't happen from Huddler while the system was down, it wouldn't likely ever happen (at least not completely or correctly). Primary Key / Foreign Key relationships would be wiped out when new accounts are created, new threads created, new fragrances are added, etc. Data transformations / restores are not too difficult even across very different systems, if schemas were studied and the transition was planned (mappings, transformations could be scripted, and the batch transfer / restore of data would have taken minutes). I am guessing that is what Huddler did - there was no loss of data that way - it was all there when the switchover was complete. Basenotes however seemed to just dust off the old DB and pick up from when it was put in mothballs. I am guessing that the data could still be merged into the BN database structure, but would now require much more manual intervention and data scrubbing than would have been needed had it been done while the system was down at the time of the switchover.

Anyway, to make a short story long, it is possible we will see some or maybe almost all the Huddler times restored. But I wouldn't be waiting or hoping on it. If it were going to be done, wouldn't that have been a priority instead of thumbs up / thumbs down functionality and some of these other diversions?

It is true that patience is a virtue, but maybe what happened on Huddler will stay on Huddler. I hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    i did some research to find that basenotes tends to get shutdown for modifying or editing purposes pretty often. Now im a little disappointed because i joined not too long ago and i made a decent amount of posts that i would like to look back to and threads i started. Everything seems to be gone and i cant seem to find the for sale forum section. Does this always happen to everyone?
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you and was pretty bummed....mostly cuz I'd like to get in on the swap shop/sell board someday and lost about 100 posts. Not a big deal or anything, but still about 6months or so of posts just gone

I moved this over to the tech questions section as it's clearly not a discussion of male fragrance

Check out some of Grant's posts -- the Huddler data should be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post

Fingers crossed! Would images in Huddler threads be restored too?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That I don't know about! But now that the thread is in the tech spot, either Grant or Basenotesdude can see and address the concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    oh you impatient hyena

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I really hope you're right, but the signs aren't encouraging.

Basenotes Plus

It was held up until the new server transfer was completed.

They have been waiting on the new server as it wasn't worth trying to do it when things were slow.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I wouldn't really count on ever seeing the Huddler data restored. I personally think it is being handled the same way scandals are in politics - (1) deny there is a problem (2) admit something is wrong, and that you are "investigating" (3) promise corrective action when the investigation is complete (4) after months and months interest will fall away, and then if it is brought up again, just say "we are moving forward, and choose not to look at the mistakes of the past, but ways we can work better for the people moving forward, blah blah..."

I don't mean to be contrarian or negative, I just know how data is handled in databases (it's what I do). If the restoration didn't happen from Huddler while the system was down, it wouldn't likely ever happen (at least not completely or correctly). Primary Key / Foreign Key relationships would be wiped out when new accounts are created, new threads created, new fragrances are added, etc. Data transformations / restores are not too difficult even across very different systems, if schemas were studied and the transition was planned (mappings, transformations could be scripted, and the batch transfer / restore of data would have taken minutes). I am guessing that is what Huddler did - there was no loss of data that way - it was all there when the switchover was complete. Basenotes however seemed to just dust off the old DB and pick up from when it was put in mothballs. I am guessing that the data could still be merged into the BN database structure, but would now require much more manual intervention and data scrubbing than would have been needed had it been done while the system was down at the time of the switchover.

Anyway, to make a short story long, it is possible we will see some or maybe almost all the Huddler times restored. But I wouldn't be waiting or hoping on it. If it were going to be done, wouldn't that have been a priority instead of thumbs up / thumbs down functionality and some of these other diversions?

It is true that patience is a virtue, but maybe what happened on Huddler will stay on Huddler. I hope I am wrong.
    It was made clear from the outset that 'what happened on Huddler' would not be restored completely for a few weeks.