Code of Conduct

Default Cuir de Lancome vs Cuir de Russie -- please compare

Hello friends. I'm sampling Cuir de Lancome at present and rather enjoying it. I've not yet acquired a sample of Chanel's Cuir de Russie, but having read quite a few reviews, it sounds as though they are quite similar. I am very much enjoying the CdL and am wondering if you more experienced noses might offer a comparison for me. In particular, how do they differ to your nose? Is one sweeter overall than the other? Longevity/sillage etc???

Default Re: Cuir de Lancome vs Cuir de Russie -- please compare

They're both non-butch, but still true leathers. Cuir de Russie is more floral, smoother, richer, while the Lancome has a certain dryness and freshness (perhaps some vetiver or woods?). Both excellent, and if you like the Lancome, you'll very likely like the Chanel. My favorite is the Chanel in parfum concentration (which is less floral, and a bit richer and slightly animalic)

cacio

Well, what I am wondering is this....if I had Cuir de Lancome(which I don't as of now), is Cuir de Russie redundant?

I would say they are two different scents. I love both and have both.

Cuir de Lancome is a wonderful smoky floral leather (jasmine) and Cuir de Russie is an aldehyde floral leather with just a touch of civet.

Cuir de Lancome used to be cheap at discounters, but now the prices are going up.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Both very different to each other.

Chanel like an old well worn leather jacket, very smooth and soft it has picked up hints of herbs and florals over the years of wear.

Lancome as has been said discount places have it cheap, but the price recently has been going up.
    This one more raw leather bounder bigger floral notes. I will say about Lancome it is one of the most blind bought and loved on the perfume boards.
    DONNA

Chanel has contrasting notes.
    A sharp leather and a solid floral accord.

for swap/sale:

Splash Bottles Suck

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Well, what I am wondering is this....if I had Cuir de Lancome(which I don't as of now), is Cuir de Russie redundant?
    I think it depends on how much you like leather; I would definitely at least sample Cuir de Russie though, it is a masterpiece.

Thank you everyone for the thoughts. I will be sure to sample the Chanel at some point but I may have to find a bottle of the CdL.

If you don't have both before then, they are in my Learning Chypre project, danieq, which I'm planning to turn into a sample pass.

Hmmm, good to know, thanks Scentfan!

Hmmm, good to know, thanks Scentfan!
    Correction. Cuir de Lancome is in my Jasmine Sniff-Fest!

really? Jasmine? Hmmmm, I hadn't noticed it had jasmine at all, but then, I was looking specifically for leather. I get tunnel vision at times.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and here is another potential comparison. KM Fleur de Peau which seems to have a lot in common with CdL. It's a little less complex and not as long lasting as far as I can tell so far.

I sometimes wonder how much difference there is in some of the fragrances. Is it just my nose is not well trained? With certain types of notes, there seems to be a lot of overlap. I found that with Violet and I am finding some of that with leather as well.

I'm finding that the more ingredients a perfume has, the less likely I am to easily identify individual notes. It's taking a lot of sniffing. Wait, now I can't find what I said about Cuir de Lancome! I could have sworn I sniffed and reviewed it, but where? I bought a sample and thought I discussed it. Okay, ignore my remark until I find the post.

p.s. Yes, it was recommended to me in my Jasmine Sniff-Fest thread. I bought a sample and I looked it up in preparation for writing a review before the list went down. I plan to start "Jasmine Sniff-Fest, Part 2" later today or tomorrow and comment further. For now:

Cuir de Lancōme - Chypre Floral. Top: mandarin orange, saffron, bergamot. Mid: patchouli, hawthorn, jasmine and ylang ylang. Base: orris root, birch, styrax

p.p.s. At least Fragrantica calls it a floral chypre. Not sure everyone would.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 16th November 2013 at 09:03 PM.

A bit late to this party Danieq but to say Cuir de Russie is one of my favourites would be an understatement. I have both Cuir de Lancome and Cuir de Russie (modern, EdT, modern parfum and vintage extriat). In aid of ease of availability I’m just going to use the modern versions for comparison. I'm already in CdR so I've spritz some CdL on one wrist and dabbed some modern extrait on the back on the hand.

They are both floral leathers and open up differently. CdL the citrus and floral top and mid notes rush to greet you before ushering in the creamy soft leather. There’s a slight smokiness that rounds things off beautifully.

CdR is wisp of smoke, sweetness from touch of amber maybe that adds to the floral notes and smooth expensive leather. Evokes the feel spilled a parfum in calfskin handbag. Leather is much more a player in CdR and overall more animalic. The CdR parfum is a different again the florals are rein in and it sits close to the skin. I love this version the most and the vintage extrait amplifies this even more so, truly a beautiful beast.

If I was looking for a point of difference in terms of owning both I would seek out the parfum. It does stick close to the skin and on me, takes it time to develop revealing itself in soft wafts of divine scent over the course of many hours.

If you are a lover of the accord then yes they are different enough to own both but if it’s not what floats your boat then the parfum is a well worth owing on its own merits or as an alternative to CdL.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    A bit late to this party Danieq but to say Cuir de Russie is one of my favourites would be an understatement. I have both Cuir de Lancome and Cuir de Russie (modern, EdT, modern parfum and vintage extriat). In aid of ease of availability I’m just going to use the modern versions for comparison. I'm already in CdR so I've spritz some CdL on one wrist and dabbed some modern extrait on the back on the hand.

They are both floral leathers and open up differently. CdL the citrus and floral top and mid notes rush to greet you before ushering in the creamy soft leather. There’s a slight smokiness that rounds things off beautifully.

CdR is wisp of smoke, sweetness from touch of amber maybe that adds to the floral notes and smooth expensive leather. Evokes the feel spilled a parfum in calfskin handbag. Leather is much more a player in CdR and overall more animalic. The CdR parfum is a different again the florals are rein in and it sits close to the skin. I love this version the most and the vintage extrait amplifies this even more so, truly a beautiful beast.

If I was looking for a point of difference in terms of owning both I would seek out the parfum. It does stick close to the skin and on me, takes it time to develop revealing itself in soft wafts of divine scent over the course of many hours.

If you are a lover of the accord then yes they are different enough to own both but if it’s not what floats your boat then the parfum is a well worth owing on its own merits or as an alternative to CdL.
    What a thorough and helpful comparison! Thank you so much Xscent! I do find myself loving the accord. I've now had the pleasure of the following leathers

Cuir De Lancome
    Cuir Maresque
    Fleur de Peau
    Cuir Cordoba
    Cuir Fauve

To my nose, the top three have alot of similarities. I like them all very much. The last two are quite different, and again, I like them. In fact, I've yet to find one that I don't like. I did try a Creed leather and an Aqua de Parma but I can't recall which now. Will have to have another look to determine that. At any rate, neither of those truly grabbed my attentions.

Very different. Cuir de Lancome is light, floral leathery, while Cuir de Russie is rich, deep, fluffy leather coat dusty with powder

What a thorough and helpful comparison! Thank you so much Xscent! I do find myself loving the accord. I've now had the pleasure of the following leathers

Cuir De Lancome
    Cuir Maresque
    Fleur de Peau
    Cuir Cordoba
    Cuir Fauve

To my nose, the top three have alot of similarities. I like them all very much. The last two are quite different, and again, I like them. In fact, I've yet to find one that I don't like. I did try a Creed leather and an Aqua de Parma but I can't recall which now. Will have to have another look to determine that. At any rate, neither of those truly grabbed my attentions.

Danieq it was my pleasure! If you want to sample CdR PM me your details I have a close to a lifetime supply of the EdT the Bottega Veneta is also a lovely leather accord (floral/patch/leather), Trussardi is a wonderful (green/floral/leather) and Kelly Calèche (citrus/leather). There is also beautifully rendered leathers in the mens fragrances. I cross over quite a bit and found a few I'm a bit in love with Puredistance M is superb, deep and spicy I prefer it over TF Tuscan Leather both are more hard core leathers, not much softness. Mark Birley is also wonderful a bit lighter more citrus leather and one I really enjoy and wearing today is Habit Rouge.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Hi Danieq

if you can get samples you might like to try Cuir Venemum and Cuir D'Iris by Parfumerie Gererale. Cuir de Russie is lovely but in my experience Cuir D'Iris is the most beautiful and true to leather (with that gorgeous Iris softening it...and I am a big Iris fan) I have ever worn. Boxeuses by SL is also stunning but I think the prices charged in the states are ridiculous.

hugs

searoses
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Danieq it was my pleasure! If you want to sample CdR PM me your details I have a close to a lifetime supply of the EdT the Bottega Veneta is also a lovely leather accord (floral/patch/leather), Trussardi is a wonderful (green/floral/leather) and Kelly Calèche (citrus/leather). There is also beautifully rendered leathers in the mens fragrances. I cross over quite a bit and found a few I'm a bit in love with Puredistance M is superb, deep and spicy I prefer it over TF Tuscan Leather both are more hard core leathers, not much softness. Mark Birley is also wonderful a bit lighter more citrus leather and one I really enjoy and wearing today is Habit Rouge.
    Oh thank you Xscent, I'll certainly send you my info. I did recently pick up Habit Rouge as I fell in love with it a while back after sampling. You've mentioned several others that I'm not familiar with to add to my list. I did try Bottega Veneta but I tink the patch was a little overpowering for my taste. However, that was only one time so I'll test it again. I should have a try at TF Tuscan Leather as that can be found in a city not too far away. Thanks for all the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Hi Danieq

if you can get samples you might like to try Cuir Venemum and Cuir D'Iris by Parfumerie Gererale. Cuir de Russie is lovely but in my experience Cuir D'Iris is the most beautiful and true to leather (with that gorgeous Iris softening it...and I am a big Iris fan) I have ever worn. Boxeuses by SL is also stunning but I think the prices charged in the states are ridiculous.

hugs

searoses
    You know, I haven't yet tried anything that was heavy Iris. I need to do that as I haven't a clue what that will smell like. On the other hand, maybe it's safer to wait until my budget recovers, LOL. I'll certainly add your suggestions to my 'to test' list! Thanks dear!

I know I'm the party-pooper here... I detest Cuir de Lancome. It's sharp, very synthetic and harsh in feel. Make sure you sample both Cuir de Russie EdT (spray plenty!) and Parfum, which are masterpieces!