Code of Conduct

Default Help with Tom Ford fragrances?

Okay , So I recently decided to try Santal Blush being that I have been curious about it for awhile .. I had never tried any of the other Tom Ford fragrances besides the ones that were done when he was at Gucci and YSL.. So I bought a decant and I have truly fell in love with it.. It smells so amazing! Such a deep creamy sandalwood scent with gorgeous spices and beautiful florals.. Now I understand that this fragrance is marketed towards women but boy does it work for me! It does smell a bit feminine but it has masculine aspects.. To me it seems like the perfect blend of feminine notes and masculine notes, just the right amount of florals.. I freaking love this thing! So I was wondering what other Tom Ford fragrances are worth trying out? Are there other unisex or feminine Tom Ford blends that might work for me also? I like deep, rich, spicy, woody, or incense fragrances the most.. Please give me some information all you Tom Ford experts?

Default Re: Help with Tom Ford fragrances?

Tobacco Vanille and Plum Japonais get a whole lotta love round these parts.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Amber Absolute
    Noir De Noir
    Grey Veviter

Sahara Noir is fantastic.

Default Help with Tom Ford fragrances?

They're largely unisex, despite what the packaging might suggest.

Tom Ford has arguably taken a bit of a nose dive into more lackluster crowd-pleasing territories as of late with the Atelier d'Orient, Jardin Noir and Cafe Rose collections being largely uninspired and bland in relation to the initial deliveries of 2007 which were far more cutting edge. With that said:

From the current line up:

Excellent:
    Sahara Noir (highly impressive frankincense)
    Italian Cypress (coniferous aromatic)
    Santal Blush (balmy sandalwood)
    Noir de Noir (top-shelf rose)

Good:
    Tobacco Oud (dirty tobacco leaf, no oud though)
    Oud Wood (not a drop of oud in it, but quite nice)
    Tuscan Leather (screechy and synthetic, but fun leather)

I find everything else from the current lineup to be middling / poor

Harder to find, but worth it if you do:

Amber Absolute (resins, incense, vanilla, sandalwood)
    Bois Marocain (aromatic woods)
    Bois Rouge (cedar, vetiver and citrus)
    Japon Noir (spices, resins, leather)
    Moss Breches (beeswax chypre)
    Purple Patchouli (dark, faceted patchouli)

The six above represent the line at its most developed and visionary.
    Last edited by deadidol; 16th November 2013 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMAN View Post
    Tobacco Vanille and Plum Japonais get a whole lotta love round these parts.
    Ditto this. Tobacco Vanille is rich and warm. Plum Japonais has gorgeous plum top note, followed by an Oud base. A lot of people also like Tuscan Leather. I find TL's top note very harsh. The sales lady at Neiman's even called it "stinky". But the dry-down of Tuscan Leather is very beautiful.

My favorites are Tobacco Vanille, Noir de Noir and Plum Japonais.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I would add Black Orchid to the suggestions of Sahara Noir and Plum Japonais
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Plus

Deadidol has a great list. This is one of a few houses that I am saving my money to collect their bottles.

If you want rich and spicy try Italian Cypress.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Amber Absolute
    Tuscan Leather
    Moss Breches
    Plum Japonais
    Noir de Noir
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Neroli Portofino

I like cypress as a note , like in Gucci Rush for men but I was not sure about Italian Cypress.. I have hears Italian Cypress smells like the original Polo.. Polo is to over the top for my tastes.. Im interested right now in something that borders feminine and masculine..

Noir de Noir and Plum Japonais

When I first got into fragrances, all I thought the Private Blend line was the bee's knees. However, since revisiting it, it really isn't all that impressive. I really liked Tuscan Leather before, but now I get a cigarette vibe from it. It's very synthetic and linear too, which is find to be the case with most of the offerings- they're all very linear.

I want to revisit Tobacco Vanille and get past the opening this time. I used to really like it, my girlfriend loves it, and I smelt it on a man in a shop and it smelt great. However, the opening just smelt like alfalfa to me when I last revisited it.

Neroli Portofino is by far the best In terms of smell, but due to the longevity being about 4 minutes and 35 seconds, there's not much point in spending the big bucks on it. Plum Japonais is good, Moss Breaches and Amber Absolute get a lot of love around here, but I'd say that's about it from Tom Ford. I'd rather spend almost the same money for a 50ml Frederic Malle than a 50ml Tom Ford.

Just my $0.2.

Another recommendation to try Italian Cypress, great fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post
    When I first got into fragrances, all I thought the Private Blend line was the bee's knees. However, since revisiting it, it really isn't all that impressive. I really liked Tuscan Leather before, but now I get a cigarette vibe from it. It's very synthetic and linear too, which is find to be the case with most of the offerings- they're all very linear.

I want to revisit Tobacco Vanille and get past the opening this time. I used to really like it, my girlfriend loves it, and I smelt it on a man in a shop and it smelt great. However, the opening just smelt like alfalfa to me when I last revisited it.

Neroli Portofino is by far the best In terms of smell, but due to the longevity being about 4 minutes and 35 seconds, there's not much point in spending the big bucks on it. Plum Japonais is good, Moss Breaches and Amber Absolute get a lot of love around here, but I'd say that's about it from Tom Ford. I'd rather spend almost the same money for a 50ml Frederic Malle than a 50ml Tom Ford.

Just my $0.2.
    I feel pretty much the same way. I am not terribly impressed. TV never excited me. The one that I do like a lot is Plum Japonais which I liked enough to buy. But now that I have it I find it so similar to Bond's Andy Warhol that one could say it is a copy. Sort of sad I bought it and am considering selling it or trading it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post

Just my $0.2.
    I feel pretty much the same way. I am not terribly impressed. TV never excited me. The one that I do like a lot is Plum Japonais which I liked enough to buy. But now that I have it I find it so similar to Bond's Andy Warhol that one could say it is a copy. Sort of sad I bought it and am considering selling it or trading it.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    They're largely unisex, despite what the packaging might suggest.

Tom Ford has arguably taken a bit of a nose dive into more lackluster crowd-pleasing territories as of late with the Atelier d'Orient, Jardin Noir and Cafe Rose collections being largely uninspired and bland in relation to the initial deliveries of 2007 which were far more cutting edge. With that said:

From the current line up:

Excellent:

Good:
    Tobacco Oud (dirty tobacco leaf, no oud though)
    Oud Wood (not a drop of oud in it, but quite nice)
    Tuscan Leather (screechy and synthetic, but fun leather)

I find everything else from the current lineup to be middling / poor

Harder to find, but worth it if you do:

Amber Absolute (resins, incense, vanilla, sandalwood)
    Bois Marocain (aromatic woods)
    Bois Rouge (cedar, vetiver and citrus)
    Japon Noir (spices, resins, leather)
    Moss Breches (beeswax chypre)
    Purple Patchouli (dark, faceted patchouli)

The six above represent the line at its most developed and visionary.

Excellent breakdown of the TF line. I would add Neroli Portofino and Cafe Rose to the "Good" category and Urban Musk to the "Harder to find but Worth It" category.

You can wear what you want really.

I used to wear Purple Patchouli as my signature scent.
    I must've gone through a liter of it over a two year span.

I think Le Labo must've name it Purple Patchouli because there is not a single droplet of patchouli in it.
    Or maybe Tom liked the sound of Purple Patchouli.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    I like cypress as a note , like in Gucci Rush for men but I was not sure about Italian Cypress.. I have hears Italian Cypress smells like the original Polo.. Polo is to over the top for my tastes.. Im interested right now in something that borders feminine and masculine..
    A lot of good info above but based on your specific want, I'd say Noir de Noir. A soft, mildly gourmand rose with a slightly woody base that has a small amount of blended patchouli. It is right on the masculine and feminine border for me.

While it has good longevity on my skin, it is not the projector that Tobacco Vanille or Tuscan Leather are. It is almost too soft for me and it requires a decent application to get my intended result. This is not necessarily a bad thing and this characteristic of it adds to it's unisex nature IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I think Le Labo must've name it Purple Patchouli because there is not a single droplet of patchouli in it.
    Or maybe Tom liked the sound of Purple Patchouli.
    I'm wearing it today, and yeah, I think it's vetiver isn't it? It's got that deep, dark aspect of patchouli to it but doesn't have the kind of chocolately or minty tones that patch can have. I seem to get more leather than anything on this wearing.

Tom Ford - Arabian Wood/Private Blend Collection
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood/Private Blend Collection
    Tom Ford - White Suede/Private Blend Collection
    Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    Tom Ford - Italian Cypress/Private Blend Collection
    Tom Ford - Café Rose/Private Blend Collection
    Tom Ford - Ombre de Hyacinth/Private Blend Collection

Tobacco Vanille and Italian Cypress.

Well I went to Nordstroms since the Sephora at my mall took most of there TF fragrances of the shelf but thank god Nordstroms had some.. Well they dont have any of the Private Blends any where around my area! Id probably have to go all the way to New York to sample some more of those.. But I did smell all the regular TF fragrances.. I really like TF for men and TF for men extreme , they smell good but nothing very very special or over the top.. I think I will try to get those for the warmer weather since I hate using boring aquatics or generic citruses.. Than I smelled Noir which smelled a lot like a better quality Burberry Brit to me, it was nice.. But the two that really blew me away was Sahara Noir which really did not smell very feminine at all.. SH smelled very masculine, very incensy and spicy! It was strong and exotic! Almost like an ancient temple in the middle of the Sahara desert, very unique.. But Black Orchid smelled so sexy! Its yummy and delicious, keep in mind I dont really like gourmands but it is more than just that.. It has florals, woods, sweet truffle.. It smells amazing and is right on the border of feminine/masculine like Santal Blush.. It is great and I want it! I want more perfumes like this!

Definitely try and get sniff of Italian Cypress, given that you like woody scents.
    If you can't find them, choose a few and get samples of them from the forums here or from another online sample site.

Plum Japonais is cream de la cream of the Tom Fords private blend IMHO and Number 3 in my rotation...can you say deep,rich,opulent and intoxicating and in love ...yes I can!!!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I really like Sahara Noir. A simple, blisteringly full-on Orthodox Church incense, like having your face in the censer.

Noir de Noir is intriguing but it has an earth note I haven't got to grips with yet.

If Sahara Noir is that good an incense, I'm going out to try it out this weekend!!

Sahara noir is fantastic, if you like the smell of authentic real church incense. Tom Ford nailed the smell of orthodox church's incense in this one till the last drop.

Even though it's linear, i can safely say it's the best thing I have ever smelled for a long time.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 20th November 2013 at 02:52 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Noir de Noir and Japon Noir gave me most pleasure. JN may be hard to find now though.

Plum Japonais seems to be a facsimilie of Andy Warhol as someone else has mentioned so no kudos there.

Italian Cypress is bracing and a nice wear especially if you like 'old school'.

Tuscan Leather is a mess imo. TV is very nice.

Neroli Portifino, Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanille and Noir De Noir are very good.

Japon Noir, Oud Wood, Neroli Portofino and Tobacco Vanille are my favorites.

Noir de Noir is beautiful but I don't often want to wear it, sometimes it doesn't sit right with me.

I very much wanted to love Tuscan Leather but I always think it smells like oregano. I call it Tuscan Kitchen and I have to admit, I don't really like it.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I just purchased TF for Men. Not too popular here but it is a very classy and under the radar fragrance. Many compare it to Escada PH, but this is much much better. It is a soft floral with musk and comforting woods. A real comfort scent for me. You can't over do it. Its very fresh and clean. Its not a sillage monster but it lasts a long time as the oils are high quality and in percent. Very well blended and one of only 2 TF fragrances that I currently like.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I'm also going to recommend that you try Tom Ford for Men. It's not popular here, no. What can I say, it's the only Tom Ford I really like.

I have a bottle of Bois Rouge with no code on the bottom...I am wondering if it's fake :|
    Has anyone ever seen that? It's a 50ml, and did not come in a box...totally blanking on where I got it from.
    The cap even feels different...it's def. heavier.
    I dunno, maybe it's one of the really old ones?

Back on topic:

Recommendations...
    Tobacco Oud, my fave...then Noir de Noir, and Santal Blush.
    Then Tobacco Vanille -- all those would be colder weather imho.
    Lavender Palm for the summer time.
    Also Azure Lime -- I know everyone else hates it, but I love it.
    Last edited by surge; 25th December 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Any additional thoughts? I was considering to purchase a private blend possibly.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Absolute Amber if you want a great cold weather scent!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post

Excellent:

Agree these 4 are winners. Italian Cypress is my scent of the day and my fav. evergreen fragrance. I would add one more to the Excellent list: Lavender Palm. Have had mixed results with some others.

My top 5 Tom Fords, in no particular order:

Plum Japonais
    Tobacco Vanille
    Neroli Portofino
    Sahara Noir
    Black Orchid

Honorable mention:

Tom Ford Extreme

Personally, only know Black Orchid, Grey Vetiver and Noir, definitely enjoying and tending to recommend all three of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    I'm also going to recommend that you try Tom Ford for Men. It's not popular here, no. What can I say, it's the only Tom Ford I really like.
    I'll add to the chorus for Tom Ford For Men. It's so underrated. TFFM and Extreme, are both very good.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    WOW! If that's the case, then it's definitely worth checking out. Andy Warhol (the silver bottle with Andy's face in purple) was excellent. I regret not snapping up a bottle of that before it was discontinued.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam