Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

When I originally went and sampled it at Saks, I wasn't expecting much. In fact, the only reason I wanted to try it was because it had been sooo hyped by BNers. I was predisposed to not like it at first as I find GIT rather common and dislike the hype it gets (I wore Cool Water in college and it just reminds me of that period of time). And to be honest the first time I tried it I was surprised. I expected it to be more dominate from the start as a lot of BN darlings are.

It took me several wearing to really fall in love with the fragrance. It really creeps up on you, releasing a pineappley woody waft when you least expect it.

Why I love it is this:
    1. It's fresh without being aquatic
    2. I love pineapple and you don't find it done well in fragrance without smelling like a tropical drink
    3. It's more than just fruity, it's got a nice woody backbone
    - That woody backbone gives it versatility
    - That woody backbone gives it complexity that an all fruit/citrus fragrance would not have
    4. I find I can wear it for any occasion
    5. It LASTS!
    6. It is not challenging to average nose, so I feel i can wear it anywhere any time - Ah versatility!
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

I like Aventus but it is not one of my top ten. I can easily see why people love it though. It is a big approved quality brand name and also a fragrance that uniquely succeeds in its task of providing fresh green masculine scent.

Aventus is also very exceptional because it evokes a consistent reaction, "that smells nice!" or "I like the way you smell today". Comments like this will always come first to mind when evaluating a fragrance. But, what sets Aventus apart from other fragrances?

Fragrance brands have been trying to capture "green essence" in perfume for a long time. We have a subconscious desire to pull the mystical essence from nature and imbue ourselves with green life giving and healing powers from the planet. Aventus has captured a smell that successfully accomplishes this natural desire to possess the healing green essence and it is also a masculine scent. I know, I know . . . Aventus is not a natural essence! But, it does get that reaction when people smell it. Pinneapple freshness, verdant greens, scintillating woods, a bit of mossiness and it is lasting and it emits a very pleasant lingering vapor trail that smells fresh as the idea of what green goodness should smell like.

Also, people really like to have a big brand name that signifies quality and superiority and the coincidence of having the Creed name on the same bottle with a fragrance that works well is just too much good luck. It is exceptional.
    SUMMER COLOGNES: Splash of Lemon STH Dior Homme Cologne Boudicea the Victorious Oxford Cedre Atlas Azemour les Orangers Oliver Peoples Sunday Cologne edp Guerlain Homme L'Eau Ginepro di Sardegna Maestrale Iris Nazarena Fitnessence Escentric 02 Daxon Iridium

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The reason it gets so much love is because it has all the mass appeal of the lowest common denominator mass market scents, but still lets people feel superior and snobbish because they spent $100-200 on a bottle of scent that "nobody else is wearing."

Snobby + (compliment)slutty = community hype.

See also: New Haarlem, LIDGE, DHI.
    I totally agree.

I also want to add this: I think the fact that Aventus' sillage travels across rooms and lasts for days on clothing (although most people who own a bottle won't agree because of olfactory habituation) it allows a larger percentage of the wearer's "audience" to smell it, compliment on it, and fall in love with it.

Highly complimented fragrances by definition have to "reach" people's noses often.

So, IMO the equation to Aventus' success is something like this: Great (mainstream and accessible) smell + Awesome sillage + Long lasting + Feelings of exclusivity + (High price = higher self-worth) + Internet hype = Blockbuster fragrance sales

That being said, I'd love to own a bottle!
    Sales thread here

I try to avoid jumping on the hype train as much as possible and judge scents for myself. I tested Aventus and found I got great longevity from it, combine that with the fact that pineapple is my absolute favorite fruit and I love the fact that a fragrance finally had that note, and I was sold.

its an ok fragrance but not worth the money.
    i could easy spent 180 euro instead on a hermesesence fragrance.now thats quality!

Because of its complexity, longevity, and unique scent. It draws so many compliments even though its the king of olfactory fatigue. One of the most mysterious scents ever made IMO..

Dependent

i dont see the big deal in aventus
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Most talk about the Pineapple but it's all about the drydown for me. The compliments Aventus brings are a most welcome side effect.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

The hype is exceptional, even for a Creed.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i honestly had low expectations for it. the first 3 times i wore it, i didn't like it.

now, i'm in love with it. it takes time to appreciate, but it's a true masterpeice.

Blog Entries

One of my favs......Always a good choice
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

I think it's pretty awful tbh. I asked lots of people to smell it on me and asked is this cheap or expensive and every person said 'Cheap' Just smells of smoke to me - simply don't get the hype.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freschi View Post
    I had the chance to finally sample Aventus. From what I've been reading on BN, I expected one exceptional fragrance.

I like it but certainly not exceptional. For example, I find more complexity and excitement in Azzaro PH.

I have a feeling it gets all the attention in the world just because it's expensive so people automatically think it's exceptional?

What do you think?
    Got a decant recently, and completely agree with you. It's nice, but there are others i prefer. Maybe it was not a "good batch" but i don't want to buy into that whole Creed batch number anxiety

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I find it to be exceptionally just okay.
    I agree!!

I just spritzed on a sample, I'm STILL trying to figure out the hysteric and unwavering universal mass praise on this one *shrugs*.

Quote Originally Posted by JyyskNotes View Post
    Easy answer: great longevity, great projection and great overall smell. Also very versatile.
    Nutshell

It's pretty unique. It leaves a great scent trail. And the sweet pineapple, apple, and black currant (supposedly) contrast and work very well with the smoky birch tar.

I like it and think it's good. I've just never fawned over it. But I appreciate it more with each wearing.

The reason it gets so much love is because it has all the mass appeal of the lowest common denominator mass market scents, but still lets people feel superior and snobbish because they spent $100-200 on a bottle of scent that "nobody else is wearing."

I agree with this. I would also add (or more likely elaborate) that Aventus' smoky pineapple smell is fairly unique (nothing is particularly similar ala GIT/Cool Water or MI/L&L/Sean John) with both adds to the feeling of exclusivity and excites fragrance collectors who get bored with more common notes/blends (especially on the fresh side of scents).

Also, from what I've read (don't have first hand experience), Aventus has deceptively strong silage/projection so many frag-heads are likely over-applying (more people will notice). Wearing a much more crowd-pleasing than usual favorites (which tend to be stronger, older, more challenging scents) garners a lot more complements than usual, thus hype is born.

It's unique smelling, I can't think of another fragrance that smells like it. Great smelling too, so that makes it exceptional....Price is ridiculous though, as is the annoying fact that it fucks with your nose like crazy and you have batch variations.

I love aventus threads.

Aventus is what GIT would be without clones. As far as being catered towards the snobby buyer, I disagree. The majority of people that are active on the forums have quite a few $100 - $200 bottles in their collections. Also, Aventus is going to be worn quite a bit so you'll get your money's worth. Can't say that about most of the so called "exceptional" fragrances mentioned in threads.
    Currently wearing: Supremacy Silver by Afnan

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Remember, one man's junk, is another man's treasure.

Basenotes Member

Aventus just has that special something that makes it stand out, especially to members of the opposite sex. I wear aventus once every week or two ever since I got it 6 months ago. I don't inform my wife that I'm wearing Aventus, but every single time I wear it she gets this weird little smile on her face and then says something to the effect of "wow, what's that cologne you're wearing today"? I'll say "Why do you ask, do you like this one", and her response is unmistakably affirmative. She'll then ask for the name and I'll tell her "Creed aventus", to which she laughs and says something about how consistent she is in her preference for this one. The same general scenario plays out with my teenage daugther every time I wear Aventus. None of my other frags (around 50 or so) elicit this type of response. Maybe my wife will say "you smell good today" with some of my others, but she really prefers Aventus over all others. She tells me that I smell like a man should smell when I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Aventus is what GIT would be without clones. As far as being catered towards the snobby buyer, I disagree. The majority of people that are active on the forums have quite a few $100 - $200 bottles in their collections. Also, Aventus is going to be worn quite a bit so you'll get your money's worth. Can't say that about most of the so called "exceptional" fragrances mentioned in threads.
    I honestly didn't write my original reply here with the intent to discredit either Aventus or those who buy it (well, those who are into scent as art anyhow). I actually like Aventus now, despite originally finding it underwhelming, but I think those factors or similar factors account for many of the hyped scents around here, including things like Jubilation XXV, etc.

I have to agree with Greek Trojan's elaboration, too. Despite it's mainstream mass appeal, it actually is a fairly unique accord, and that is a difficult thing to pull off.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think it's a good fragrance because to me it smells great.
    Quote Originally Posted by JyyskNotes View Post
    Easy answer: great longevity, great projection and great overall smell. Also very versatile.
    These ^^^^^^^^.

I'll sign this. In other words, the scent per se is nothing special at all.
    Currently wearing: Brit for Men by Burberry

Nothing at all.

AVONtus sucks, and I am a big Creed fan.
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 3rd October 2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Its good but expensive.

Hype? I tried it, and after 45 minutes or so of WOW!, it fell flat and left me wondering why I had spent $300. I eventually gave it away to a friend, on whom it's gorgeous.

It's not like I dislike Creed's offerings on principle--I'm going to get the lovely Royal Oud (despite its relative lack of "oudiness"), but Aventus just didn't work.

Because, "C.R.E.E.D" and "Niche"