Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Imaginary Authors - Cape Heartache

I'm starting a new thread on this fragrance since my old one seems to be trapped in Huddler purgatory. It is now available at Parfum1, although oddly not yet on the Imaginary Authors website, although I'm sure you can get samples or bottles from Josh Meyer directly by sending him an e-mail. It's a really interesting fragrance combining woodsy incensey notes with strawberry. It reminds me of Serge Lutens Chene in a way, which I think I said in my earlier thread. I get an odd red candy sweetness in Chene, that I recall only a handful of us getting. It reminds me of the function the strawberry serves here. It adds an odd tension to the fragrance. It's almost difficult to smell the different notes in combination, so your nose keeps switching back and forth between them. It's really interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing what others think of it. The few reviews I've seen so far online have been positive.

Default Re: Imaginary Authors - Cape Heartache

Thanks for posting this, Tony. I've only seen one other review and it was a little more lukewarm than yours. It seems like a brave combination of notes, which strikes me as Meyer's calling card. I'm woefully inept with this line having only ever smelled one (Bull's Blood) in passing, and so I really need to jump in and take something like this for a spin.

I assume the strawberry note is dry as opposed to some celebrity-scent sweet kind of thing?

I really need to check out this line. I keep meaning to, but other stuff gets in the way. Plus, I can't get myself to cough up the $35 for the sample set. Still, this one sounds really interesting, and potentially like something I'd enjoy, since I love the berry/incense combo in stuff like Jubilation XXV. I think I'll try and split it since there is still a good coupon on parfum1, plus I really respect Tony's opinion on scents!
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 16th November 2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Fragrance blog returning in May 2014!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Tony. I've only seen one other review and it was a little more lukewarm than yours. It seems like a brave combination of notes, which strikes me as Meyer's calling card. I'm woefully inept with this line having only ever smelled one (Bull's Blood) in passing, and so I really need to jump in and take something like this for a spin.

I assume the strawberry note is dry as opposed to some celebrity-scent sweet kind of thing?
    It's not a cheesy girly strawberry note, but I would say it's more sweet than dry. It's just really interesting butted up against the other notes which are mostly extremely dry and woody.

Okay, so I just got my bottle in last night and wore it on a night out, and I have to say that I am very impressed! This is based off of one wearing (and another semi-wearing as I got some on me just now as I was splitting):

The opening is what you would expect given the notes list: fir, pine, and just a generally woodsy feel to it. But, there is something there in the background that immediately makes this stand out: Strawberry. Yes, the strawberry, and what a clash it is! I can't say I would ever think to combine fir, pine, and hemlock with strawberry, but I guess Mr.Meyer figured it out, because it really works, and makes this scent ten times more interesting than it would be without it. I'd venture to say that without the cool strawberry interplay, this would be a less impressive version of Norne. But fortunately for us we have that note, and it definitely sweetens the fragrance a tad, as it is not a "dry strawberry" (if that's even possible). The strawberry note in here reminds me of what the strawberry little tree car fresheners would smell like if they were a little stronger and had a sweeter note to them. This isn't a bad thing, as a hyper-realistic strawberry smell would just get drowned out by all the green going on otherwise. As far as longevity, I got about five or six hours before I went to bed, and I'd guess it would go for a few more after that, as I can still smell it on my shirt some 12 hours later. I don't think it really got away from me, so I'd venture to say the projection is averagish, but I don't really care about that.

Overall I'm very impressed with my first bottle from the house. I'm going to split another really soon, but I'm not sure which. I'm strongly considering Memoirs of a Trespasser.

EDIT: And Tony, I can't say I get any incense in this at all. Maybe it's just me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else try this?

It sounds interesting. I'd also like to hear from anyone who's tried Mosaic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Anybody else try this?

It sounds interesting. I'd also like to hear from anyone who's tried Mosaic.
    Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this question, but it's a difficult fragrance to explain. I have a sample on right now and I'm getting a fresh, cold, aquatic quality. Maybe there is some eucalyptus in there somewhere, but it's not listed in the notes. There's also a bit of that Rive Gauche-like shaving cream note. It's also got a contrasting musky quality in the drydown which sexes it up a bit. It's my partner's favorite in the IA line.

Here's the notes from the IA website:
    Petitgrain, Bergamot, Oakmoss, Cedarwood, Limestone, Artesian Well

I wore this as my SOTD yesterday and got excellent longevity...like 18+ hours with four sprays. After the 10 hour mark I really got an incense vibe that I could not shake the thought of (in a positive way). Very interesting stuff for sure, and I am glad I kept 20mL for myself.

Just ordered a sample yesterday - interested to smell what all the recent buzz has been about!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Just ordered a sample yesterday - interested to smell what all the recent buzz has been about!
    The hype train is boarding on this thats for sure

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pretty scathing review of Cape Heartache.

I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say whether I agree or not. But I applaud the author's honest and frank delivery.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be interested to hear your thoughts too.

Josh was kind enough to send me a sample of this stuff quite awhile ago. I haven't worn it in awhile so I may be slightly off on this but to me it comes off as Montale Full Incense with a strawberry note. IMO this is the best juice from the line.

Here's a pretty scathing review of Cape Heartache.

I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say whether I agree or not. But I applaud the author's honest and frank delivery.
    Thanks for posting that link. A very strongly opinionated observation to say the least.

(2766)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've worn this a couple of times now and I find it quite pleasant. This is a unisex(leaning to masculine) scent. To me, the unusual strawberry note is quite muted. Definitely not a strawberry shortcake note. The note is muted in the mid-notes and I believe its used to soften the woody notes. If you like SL-Filles en Anguilles you might not like this. The longevity and projection are very reasonable (on me around 6 to 8hrs.)

Overall this is a pleasant scent. Is it FBW? For me no, but I'm sure it will be for some. Nice stuff

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info., guys - I suspect that some of us are possibly more sensitive to Iso than others - it's not my favourite ingredient either but many seem to get along with it without any issues at all.

People - do NOT, like so many of the commenters on that blog, ignore this house based on one person's viewpoint, regardless of in how vitriolic a manner their dislike is expressed.

Also, their major criticism seems to stem from the fact that the fragrances gave them an unpleasant reaction, leaving their nose 'bruised' for 24 hours afterwards.
    Seriously, has ANY scent ever done that for anyone else?

It makes me laugh that there are people that HAVE samples of it and refuse to even test it based on this one person's words. It's just rejecting one form of hype to blindly follow hype to the opposite extreme.

Give it a chance. It's Josh's third best fragrance IMO, behind only Mosaic and the almighty Falling Into The Sea.

BuysBlind - I'll try and dredge up my thoughts on Mosaic (I posted them somewhere, either here on on B&B, I'm sure of it) this evening when I knock off work. It has definitely showed more complexity than I gave it credit for on first wearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    People - do NOT, like so many of the commenters on that blog, ignore this house based on one person's viewpoint, regardless of in how vitriolic a manner their dislike is expressed.

Also, their major criticism seems to stem from the fact that the fragrances gave them an unpleasant reaction, leaving their nose 'bruised' for 24 hours afterwards.

It makes me laugh that there are people that HAVE samples of it and refuse to even test it based on this one person's words. It's just rejecting one form of hype to blindly follow hype to the opposite extreme.

Give it a chance. It's Josh's third best fragrance IMO, behind only Mosaic and the almighty Falling Into The Sea.

BuysBlind - I'll try and dredge up my thoughts on Mosaic (I posted them somewhere, either here on on B&B, I'm sure of it) this evening when I knock off work. It has definitely showed more complexity than I gave it credit for on first wearing.
    +1 Well said.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post

Sound advice.

Default Imaginary Authors - Cape Heartache

While I've heard a number of negative things about this scent, and my experience with the line hasn't been positive from what I've tried, that review is pure garbage and should probably be dismissed. It's sensationalistic self-aggrandizement.
    Last edited by deadidol; 7th January 2014 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    While I've heard a number of negative things about this scent, and my experience with the line hasn't been positive from what I've tried, that review is pure garbage and should probably be dismissed. It's sensationalistic self-aggrandizement.
    I wouldn't consider the review "pure garbage." Melodramatic and very much marred by the author's apparently idiosyncratic and excessive sensitivity to aroma chemicals? Yes. But there's also some pretty straightforward talk about how it smells (to him). I'm definitely taking it with a grain of salt though, as his review for The Cobra and the Canary suggests a very different experience than mine

I wouldn't consider the review "pure garbage." Melodramatic and very much marred by the author's apparently idiosyncratic and excessive sensitivity to aroma chemicals? Yes. But there's also some pretty straightforward talk about how it smells (to him). I'm definitely taking it with a grain of salt though, as his review for The Cobra and the Canary suggests a very different experience than mine
    I saw this review when it came out and it surprised me because I think that reviewer is ordinarily pretty decent. While I advocate for critical assessments—even when there's not much that can be done to recuperate a problematic scent—this simply wasn't measured, diplomatic, or productive in any way. It was little more than a "eww, gross" type review with some chemicals name-dropped to feign ethos and authority. It's just a bad review in my eyes; one that serves little purpose. The subsequent comments are eye-opening.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Never managed to read as far as the comments before, D.I., struggling slightly with them right now 'though.

Guys, I don't want to derail this thread, but I do need to own my hypocrisy in the comment I made above about the review posted. I was too harsh in my response to that review and essentially did the same thing that I accused the reviewer of doing. While I haven't tried the scent and have nothing to say about it, you can all read and assess reviews just fine without me adding my opinion of them—reviewing the reviewer can be tiresome. So, while I do find that review to be problematic, I should have attenuated my public response to it a little more. Hopefully all of you interested in Cape Heartache will seek it out and make up your own minds about the scent and write your own reviews on it, too.
    Last edited by deadidol; 8th January 2014 at 04:28 PM.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

First tried this last week, when in Portland, and liked it quite a bit. My favorite from the line so far. My main recollection was just of a warm coniferousness.

Post Thanks / Like

Just received a sample kit 2 hours ago.
    Immediately sprayed Cobra on one hand and Heartache on the other and Memoirs of a Trespasser on a 3rd hand (actually a forearm).
    Cobra has some of a Lonestar Memories by Andy Tauer vibe. Will have to A/B them to differentiate. Everyone in my office liked it.
    Memoirs has an off-putting note (Ambrette Seeds) that is mildly unpleasant almost like something that once smelled wonderful has sat in the refrigerator too long.
    Heartache has a slightly synthetic strawberry note that just flat out takes over. It checks out the vanilla leaf, laughs, and blows by it. It burns through the mountain fog, and is just not bright enough to even understand old growth so just ignores it and comes out the other side. To like this one, you have to have a thing for strawberry. I don't.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same, i haven't got around to testing them out yet. But hopefully its not as huge of a disappointment as Slumberhouse was to me, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the Heartache
    Both my Wife and Daughter loved it.
    They were also crazy about Falling into the Water.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaman View Post
    Update on the Heartache
    Both my Wife and Daughter loved it.
    They were also crazy about Falling into the Sea.
    Good to hear - they're two of Josh's best, in my opinion.

My gf doesn't love either of them, unfortunately, but at least she likes Mosaic, so I guess I'll keep her (I was always going to keep the frags).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anyone knows where i can find this juice?

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like