Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Gift for the lady who loves Aromatics Elixir

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Oh, yes! Bandit. What a great suggestion, Puma.
    (And how charming that your young daughter has such a sophisticated nose, Odilon!)

How is the newest version of Bandit? It has been through lots of changes. Is it still very green with galbanum and leather? I always smelled a fresh marijuana plant when I smelled Bandit!
    Yes, it's intensely green and astringent. The leather is there, some smokiness... Reminds me somewhat of Knize Ten (as others have said) but at this point I prefer Bandit. Uncompromising and very sophisticated. I shall be borrowing it!

Coromandel+1
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    That was very thoughtful of you, Puma! I'll let you know how she likes Bandit...
    Thank you!
    Currently wearing: Câline by Jean Patou

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    Yes, it's intensely green and astringent. The leather is there, some smokiness... Reminds me somewhat of Knize Ten (as others have said) but at this point I prefer Bandit. Uncompromising and very sophisticated. I shall be borrowing it!
    Yes, I find it also very sophisticated, but nonetheless easy to wear. I've been wearing it since 1999, when it was re-edited. I've been wearing it around the clock, in business, and also in Summer. I received compliments how fresh it was. I do not get much of a smokey or leathery note out of it, but some rose and other flowers, and my dearly beloved patchouli.

It used to be the "hippies" perfume in the seventies, but I do not remember exactly how far it smelled different from today's.

Concerning Knize Ten (which still is one of my male favourites), I find the female equivalent is Tabac Blond (or vice versa). I am lucky to own a
    1 oz. bottle of the pure perfume, which I bought in the 1980s, and which I am jealously guarding for fear that the bottle might get empty ... It's perfect for an evening out in a jazz cellar.

You may have noticed that I am a great enthusiast of the old Caron fragrances. This time of the year wearing Nuit de Noel perfume every other day is quite appropriate. This is another great chypre.

I'm delighted to report that she loves Bandit!

Thanks for your help, everybody, and Merry Christmas!

Happy to hear that it turned out even better than I dared to hope! Thank you.

Season's greetings and best wishes for the New Year to all the BN forists!

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    This really is a puzzler. Maybe she's really particular about what woody notes she likes. You need to target whether its patchouli, oud, cedar, or vetiver. Mitsouko is old, musty wood. Narciso Rodrigues is sour wood. Aromatics Elixer is more dry wood.

What about trying a cedar-based chypre? Basenoters, any suggestions for a cedar-based chypre with rose that smells like AE? .....How about Gres Cabaret? That's nice and inexpensive, too.

Or maybe she's experiencing AE as leather instead of wood. To see if this is so, try Estee Lauder Aliage.

I really do want to know how she will feel about Coromandel. That one is a horse of a different color.

Niki de Saint Phalle
    is a possibility. After a start of galbanum and artemisia, it is a magnificent reconciliation of the rose and the green on a peerless chypre platform (can you tell I like this stuff?). I guess this is, too, my sign to revisit AE, which used to smell like Black Flag on me (decades ago).
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!