Code of Conduct

Default Gift for the lady who loves Aromatics Elixir

My wife's signature perfume is Aromatics Elixir, which she's worn as long as we've been together (21+ years). I'd love to buy her something really special for her birthday. The only other fragrance she wears regularly is Chanel No. 5. I'm thinking something extremely classic, like Mitsouko, but I need some help!

Default Re: Gift for the lady who loves Aromatics Elixir

If she loves Aromatics Elixir, she could also love "Eau du Soir" by Sisley. It's a green chypre and more smooth and elegant than Aromatics Elixir. The flacon is also stunning, a real beauty!

AE is hard to beat in the resinous balsamic patchouli realm. As a chypre, Mitsouko would certainly be fitting, though it's more austere than AE. There was a problem with batches, with those around 2010-12 not as good, and apparently the latest one better. Parfum concentration would be even better.

Otherwise, I'm thinking either a leather or a patchouli. Cabochard vintage would have been ideal (same perfumer), but the current version simply isn't up to par. For leather, perhaps Dior Leather oud (if you want something more assertive) or Chanel Cuir de Russie (smoother). For patchouli, Dior Patchouli Imperial or Chanel Coromandel.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    AE is hard to beat in the resinous balsamic patchouli realm. As a chypre, Mitsouko would certainly be fitting, though it's more austere than AE. There was a problem with batches, with those around 2010-12 not as good, and apparently the latest one better. Parfum concentration would be even better.

Otherwise, I'm thinking either a leather or a patchouli. Cabochard vintage would have been ideal (same perfumer), but the current version simply isn't up to par. For leather, perhaps Dior Leather oud (if you want something more assertive) or Chanel Cuir de Russie (smoother). For patchouli, Dior Patchouli Imperial or Chanel Coromandel.

cacio
    Cuir de Russie is a possibility. She's quite taken with Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe and likes Ambre Sultan on me, so an amber might be good. What I really want to avoid (on her behalf) are the various iterations of baby powder.

Mitsouko
    Enlevement au Serail
    La Myrrhe
    31 Rue Cambon
    Le Parfum de Therese

Perhaps FM's Un Rose? Biiiiiiggg Patchouli Rose scent.
    Yvresse is nice too for a fruity chypre without getting into the cotton-candy /koolaid level of sweetness.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Lucky girl! I love Mitsouko! But it's not always a love at first sniff with Mitsy.

If you are aiming for classic and she likes her No.5 maybe one of the Excluifs would be a nice choice? Cuir De Russie a big favourite of mine, Coromandel, No.22 or maybe Rue Cambon would suit. Otherwise you could go the classic Coco. Would love to know what you end up getting.
    Last edited by Xscent; 6th December 2013 at 08:25 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

I bet she`ll love Mitsouko. AE and Mitsouko have quite a bit in common, even if they`re on the other hand completely different. I`d go with a 7.5 ml of Mitsy Parfum. This one gets even better with the hours passing. Extremely nice, sigh :-)
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

I'm an Aromatics Elixir fan, and I also love Chanel Coromandel. I would recommend that. Just as complex, just as woody and rosy, but sweeter with more amber, and not as challenging in the top notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you decide yet?
    I wore Coromandel today, and I'm convinced this is the right one for her.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Did you decide yet?
    I wore Coromandel today, and I'm convinced this is the right one for her.
    I haven't decided yet! I need to go off and do some surreptitious sniffing. This is for an Xmas birthday...

Have her sample Dior Granville. This is a very herbal and aromatic scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Oh, yeah. Of course: Narciso Rodriguez for Her (in the pink bottle) and Montale Black Aoud.

Both of them are in the same vein as the dry, woody, Chypre-ish rose, only without the restricted oakmoss. (I wonder if they have taken it out of Aromatics Elixir yet.)

I have a sample of Black Aoud and she's not keen on it (though I like it). Coromandel seems as if it would be perfect, but it's only in the boutiques and I'm not going to London until after Christmas - surprise late presents are usually welcome, though... But there's a local shop with a lot of Guerlains and other good things. Had a few sniffs the other day: Mitsouko still ahead. The owner recommended Caleche but I found it too soapy. I'm going to give L'Air Bleue a try as well.

Thanks for all the help, and I will of course let you know what happens!

I totally understand how the Montale was "too much" for her. It's edgy.
    Narciso Rodriguez isn't, though. It's fairly mainstream.

Well, she doesn't like Mitsouko at all (sprayed 'spontaneously' during a department store stroll). She thought it was too big, too heavy, a bit too animalic/old fashioned. I had to fall back on 'but my mum wore it in the 60s,' which - unsurprisingly - failed totally! Narciso Rodriguez also failed. So back to the drawing board.

It's a shame, because - selfishly - I love Mitsouko on other people. I think it's what 'perfume' ought to smell like. Oh, well...

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    Well, she doesn't like Mitsouko at all (sprayed 'spontaneously' during a department store stroll). She thought it was too big, too heavy, a bit too animalic/old fashioned. I had to fall back on 'but my mum wore it in the 60s,' which - unsurprisingly - failed totally! Narciso Rodriguez also failed. So back to the drawing board.

It's a shame, because - selfishly - I love Mitsouko on other people. I think it's what 'perfume' ought to smell like. Oh, well...
    Oh dear. I'm wondering has she has articulated what it is about No.5 and AE that she loves? That might give you a better idea of what would work for her.

This really is a puzzler. Maybe she's really particular about what woody notes she likes. You need to target whether its patchouli, oud, cedar, or vetiver. Mitsouko is old, musty wood. Narciso Rodrigues is sour wood. Aromatics Elixer is more dry wood.

What about trying a cedar-based chypre? Basenoters, any suggestions for a cedar-based chypre with rose that smells like AE? .....How about Gres Cabaret? That's nice and inexpensive, too.

Or maybe she's experiencing AE as leather instead of wood. To see if this is so, try Estee Lauder Aliage.

I really do want to know how she will feel about Coromandel. That one is a horse of a different color.

I wonder if No.19 might be worth a try? It's a floral-woody-green fragrance, very classic and has a few different of iterations which focus on different characteristics of the fragrance. The EdP is more floral while the parfum has a darker more leathery feel.

+1 for No. 19. I agree with that.

Well, it's a puzzler, all right. I think that perhaps what she likes about AE is the kick. It isn't really like anything else, which is why I'm having trouble coming up with an alternative.

Mitsouko would have been more of a replacement for the No 5, I suppose, but in terms of grand old perfumes it appears my sweetie is a Chanel girl, not a fan of the Guerlainade (damn).

So, going with the 'kick' theory, I'm toying with Ambre Sultan - I know it's a bit bizarre, but it has that massive herbal opening and she likes amber. My local perfume shop has Lutens and also, interestingly, Piguet, so I'm wondering if I explore those for Christmas-birthday and check out Coromandel next time I'm in London... Anyway, I'm flummoxed.

Big herbal opening is a good idea. To be fair, both of you should do a side-by-side with Coromandel vs Ambre Sultan. Are you aware that they were both composed by Christopher Sheldrake? I'm glad that you can find them both in stores in your area.

It sounds like you're on the right track now. (I'd still say that the Chanel would be a better substitute for AE.) However, if she rejects them both due to the amber base being too sweet, try the Gres Cabaret. Read this review:

http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/09/02...grance-review/

and this one about Paestum Rose:

http://www.nstperfume.com/2006/08/14...erfume-review/

We Basenoters are going to find some perfume for your lady! Yes we are! We're not quitters here! LOL
    Last edited by purplebird7; 6th December 2013 at 05:50 PM.

Are you aware that they were both composed by Christopher Sheldrake?
    I'd forgotten. So there is method to my madness!

Basenotes Plus

+1 for No. 19. I agree with that.
    Read through and was going to recommend this one if no one else had so I'll just add a +2.

Don't give up on mitsouko. It is not a love at first sniff scent. It took me a long while to fall for it. Especially the initial whiff smells dated. But into the drydown it gets better and better. So my suggestion woukd be that you spritz something on yourself several hours before you meet her. Don't tell her that it s mitsouko. She will ask you what phantastic frag you are wearing I bet.
    Maybe she woukd like azuree. Azuree totally rocks.

I would highly recommend that you try Robert Piguet's Bandit Eau de Parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    I would highly recommend that you try Robert Piguet's Bandit Eau de Parfum.
    ...and, funnily enough, that is exactly what I've bought her! I took my daughter along - she had her doubts about Ambre Sultan - and we laid into the Piguets. She fell hard for Visa (she has a good nose, especially for an 11 year old!) and we both liked Baghari (and were perplexed by Fracas) but we both agreed that Bandit was exactly what we were looking for. Aldehydes, sharp galbanum, oakmoss, civet showing its furry little face for a couple of seconds, and the ongoing leathery, herbal/indolic tussle. Hope she likes it!

And many thanks to everybody for your invaluable help...

... and, funnily enough, I registered with Basenotes only to recommend this to you. I am glad you agreed!

Hope you enjoy the perfume, as I have for many years, because it is
    a r o m a t i c.

In the posts I recognized my own taste in perfumes. That's why I had to answer you.

AE was my favorite from 1975 to1992. My very first perfume was Bellodgia from Caron at the age of 13. Mitsouko I received as a gift from my then fiancé in my early twenties. All these fragrances have always been present in my perfume wardrobe.

By the way, from the Robert Piguet fragrances I like Visa second best. Here I agree with your daughter.

Best regards from Germany
    Last edited by Puma; 8th December 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Oh, yes! Bandit. What a great suggestion, Puma.
    (And how charming that your young daughter has such a sophisticated nose, Odilon!)

How is the newest version of Bandit? It has been through lots of changes. Is it still very green with galbanum and leather? I always smelled a fresh marijuana plant when I smelled Bandit!

The other good thing is that you have more fragrances on your list from suggestions here, and you can eventually expand your collection. It's nice to have several different fragrances to rotate so you don't start taking the ONE for granted.

Blog Entries

I would not do Aliage. It requires a specific taste. I'm often not in the mood for its quirkiness. Rather, I'd try Azureé. Green and snappy, still only about $40. Others that slip under the radar are: Madame Rochas, Houbigant-Aperçu. ​ you can look up reviews and see if they appeal.

As far as dept store frags go, I like Dolce & Gabbana- Light Blue, Armani- Code, Chanel no.19- Exclusifs, 31 Rue Cambon, Bois des Iles, Estée Lauder- White Linen & Knowing.
    Last edited by kumquat; 12th December 2013 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    ... and, funnily enough, I registered with Basenotes only to recommend this to you. I am glad you agreed!
    That was very thoughtful of you, Puma! I'll let you know how she likes Bandit...

Oh, yes! Bandit. What a great suggestion, Puma.
    (And how charming that your young daughter has such a sophisticated nose, Odilon!)

How is the newest version of Bandit? It has been through lots of changes. Is it still very green with galbanum and leather? I always smelled a fresh marijuana plant when I smelled Bandit!
    Yes, it's intensely green and astringent. The leather is there, some smokiness... Reminds me somewhat of Knize Ten (as others have said) but at this point I prefer Bandit. Uncompromising and very sophisticated. I shall be borrowing it!

Coromandel+1
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

That was very thoughtful of you, Puma! I'll let you know how she likes Bandit...
    Thank you!

Yes, it's intensely green and astringent. The leather is there, some smokiness... Reminds me somewhat of Knize Ten (as others have said) but at this point I prefer Bandit. Uncompromising and very sophisticated. I shall be borrowing it!
    Yes, I find it also very sophisticated, but nonetheless easy to wear. I've been wearing it since 1999, when it was re-edited. I've been wearing it around the clock, in business, and also in Summer. I received compliments how fresh it was. I do not get much of a smokey or leathery note out of it, but some rose and other flowers, and my dearly beloved patchouli.

It used to be the "hippies" perfume in the seventies, but I do not remember exactly how far it smelled different from today's.

Concerning Knize Ten (which still is one of my male favourites), I find the female equivalent is Tabac Blond (or vice versa). I am lucky to own a
    1 oz. bottle of the pure perfume, which I bought in the 1980s, and which I am jealously guarding for fear that the bottle might get empty ... It's perfect for an evening out in a jazz cellar.

You may have noticed that I am a great enthusiast of the old Caron fragrances. This time of the year wearing Nuit de Noel perfume every other day is quite appropriate. This is another great chypre.

I'm delighted to report that she loves Bandit!

Thanks for your help, everybody, and Merry Christmas!

Happy to hear that it turned out even better than I dared to hope! Thank you.

Season's greetings and best wishes for the New Year to all the BN forists!

queen of the universe

This really is a puzzler. Maybe she's really particular about what woody notes she likes. You need to target whether its patchouli, oud, cedar, or vetiver. Mitsouko is old, musty wood. Narciso Rodrigues is sour wood. Aromatics Elixer is more dry wood.

What about trying a cedar-based chypre? Basenoters, any suggestions for a cedar-based chypre with rose that smells like AE? .....How about Gres Cabaret? That's nice and inexpensive, too.

Or maybe she's experiencing AE as leather instead of wood. To see if this is so, try Estee Lauder Aliage.

I really do want to know how she will feel about Coromandel. That one is a horse of a different color.

Niki de Saint Phalle
    is a possibility. After a start of galbanum and artemisia, it is a magnificent reconciliation of the rose and the green on a peerless chypre platform (can you tell I like this stuff?). I guess this is, too, my sign to revisit AE, which used to smell like Black Flag on me (decades ago).
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!