Code of Conduct

Default Help me figure out how old this Chanel No. 5 EDC is!

For all I know this might be pretty new, but I think it could be 10 years old or more...would you vintage experts help me figure it out?

For some reference: I got it from the home of an elderly neighbor who died about 8 years ago, whose daughter wasn't ready to sell it until this year. The daughter wasn't living in the house, she lives a few states away, so I am not certain about how it was stored and I don't know if she kept the house heated/cooled (I think at least moderately so that pipes didn't freeze and so forth, since the house is still in good shape, and she usually came by a few times a year and would stay there a few days or a week or two). I think it was her mom's because I don't think she would have left it there if it was a bottle she bought and was wearing...well, the pictures will tell, I suppose. I also included a 1 oz Jo Malone bottle for size comparison...I'm not sure what size it is either...

There's no box. I don't know how they come originally but it may or may not have been opened and/or used before. It has the gold seal thing on top (what do you do with that, anyway? Does come off? Are you supposed to bend the logo flap part back, or take it off entirely? Or do you leave it on to use to dab?)

You can't see it very well but the word "Chanel" is in raised letters on each edge of the bottom of the bottle, and there is also a "5" or some number down there. Oh, I just noticed, it also says 75 degrees (degree symbol, I dunno how to do that here) on the back of the label (if you read the label from the back of the bottle).

I was considering offering it for a split but I kinda want to be able to tell people approximately when it was made...and how big the bottle is...and if I can figure out how to decant some (do I need to break the seal? tear it off? Or is it supposed to stay on?) I was going to see if someone would smell it for me and see if they think it's gone off.

You should be able to click on the pics and make them larger. It looks a lot like another bottle in another thread from a couple years ago in this forum, but I'm not sure...

Attachment 21899Attachment 21900Attachment 21901Attachment 21902Attachment 21903Attachment 21904Attachment 21905Attachment 21906

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone help me?

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone help me?
    Last edited by kayley123; 17th November 2013 at 05:59 AM.

Default Re: Help me figure out how old this Chanel No. 5 EDC is!

I would guess late 1950s or 1960s. The "degree" sign is indicative of the alcohol content. This means it's 75% alcohol and 25% perfume oil.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Help me figure out how old this Chanel No. 5 EDC is!

Double post.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.