Code of Conduct

Default Roja Dove - Enigma pour Homme

Roja Dove - Enigma pour Homme (edp and extrait)

(I gave the parfum extrait a thorough wearing)
    It starts out with lots of ginger thats softened by cognac, musk & benzoin.

Heliotrope & cardamom are still lurking.

A while into it and all the perky notes have now evaporated and what's left are somber notes like tobacco, benzoin Ambergris,.

These set the stage for a mellow floral accord.

Ginger remains prominent but softens as the perfume develops.

It's a very good perfume. Completely unimposing, very smooth. Regal.

Has anyone tried it yet?

I know Mick_trick and a few others have.

“The mystery of the name drove me to create a fragrance that seems to be all things to all people, but itself is certain and assured, whilst creating ambiguity in others”. Roja Dove

TOP: Bergamot
    HEART: Geranium, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Neroli, Rose
    BASE: Ambergris, Benzoin, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Cognac, Ginger, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Vanilla

for swap/sale:

Default Re: Roja Dove - Enigma pour Homme

I've sampled it in the store several times, never impressed enough to wear it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

From your description Hedonist, sounds very interesting. (572)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I have and I like it. I think you summed it up correctly in that one word: regal.

Fetish is very much in the same rich and regal playing field.

I also have Diaghilev and this one is even more opulent. You really need a special occasion and get dressed for an affair with this one, it's very far removed from casual wear and common scents. An uncompromising take on perfumery as we know it.

Love the EDP Homme line including this one. I think Danger is my favorite at the moment.

I got in on a split of the edp and I think it is absolutely outstanding... I am deeply contemplating a purchase of the extrait (largely because my wife loves it as well, and she is difficult to please), but it is rather expensive, to say the least. I have also not yet sampled the extrait.

For those of you who have tried both edp and the extrait, are the differences so extreme that it would be worth going for the extrait over the edp (I think for example that fetish extrait is way better than the edp and therefore worth the price)?

Great impressions Hedonist, must be the ginger top notes I'm a little unsure of, but I'm head over heels for the drydown. Great stuff indeed. (Referring to the Parfum, not tried the EdP)
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

These are some complicated concoctions, and considering the price of them it is going to take some time for me to inevitably purchase one of his creations, because it's going to require some contemplation to ultimately make a decision on them. They are beautiful, though, and two years ago I would not be in the position to smell them and appreciate what they are about.

Does anyone know where I can get samples of his fragrances? I see surrender to chance has some of them, but I am most interested in Enigma pour homme which they do not have.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I got in on a split of the edp and I think it is absolutely outstanding... I am deeply contemplating a purchase of the extrait (largely because my wife loves it as well, and she is difficult to please), but it is rather expensive, to say the least. I have also not yet sampled the extrait.

For those of you who have tried both edp and the extrait, are the differences so extreme that it would be worth going for the extrait over the edp (I think for example that fetish extrait is way better than the edp and therefore worth the price)?
    As you rightly said. I liked Fetish edp but did not find it bottle worthy. But Fetish extrait is a whole other concept really, which is not only FBW, its backup worthy as well.

I smelled the edp from a strip only. Nothing to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    Great impressions Hedonist, must be the ginger top notes I'm a little unsure of, but I'm head over heels for the drydown. Great stuff indeed. (Referring to the Parfum, not tried the EdP)
    Thanks Mick.
    The dry down is indeed fantastic.
    I too wasn't very keen on the ginger at the top. Nice but felt a bit out of place.
    I'd have preferred something less exotic to match the general motif of the perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    These are some complicated concoctions, and considering the price of them it is going to take some time for me to inevitably purchase one of his creations, because it's going to require some contemplation to ultimately make a decision on them. They are beautiful, though, and two years ago I would not be in the position to smell them and appreciate what they are about.
    Roja's line is very expansive but unfortunately most of them are just ok.
    I find the ladies' ones to be generally better. But as a prerequisite, you need to enjoy feminine perfumes.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Sounds very much worth sampling. I loved Diaghilev, but it's not something I want to wear personally - it's not me. This sounds more my style!

I got Diaghilev from a split, but wish I could find samples of the rest of the pour Homme line. Surrender to Chance only has Fetish.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It's a very good perfume. Completely unimposing, very smooth. Regal.
    Perfect description !. My favourite release of 2013 so far and it will take something special to knock it off it's perch. The ginger is strong initially but diminishes in potency and melds into a drydown that is sooooo rich and opulent.

I dropped the cash in Harrods without hesitation.

No regrets

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Perfect description !. My favourite release of 2013 so far and it will take something special to knock it off it's perch. The ginger is strong initially but diminishes in potency and melds into a drydown that is sooooo rich and opulent.

I dropped the cash in Harrods without hesitation.

No regrets
    Yes I remember your high praise for it.
    Made me want to try it even more Jon.

I'm

for swap/sale:

It's on my list. Very nice

So, in the U.S. it is named Creation E because of a copyright issue.

Now, take this with a grain of salt because I was overwhelmed that day I was in Osswald (I had only 45 minutes before closing to explore this, MDCI, and Parfumerie Generale - FUUUUUU!!!!!!) but Enigma kept reminding me of something, and I realized that it was similar in feel to 34 Boulevard St. Germain.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    So, in the U.S. it is named Creation E because of a copyright issue.

Now, take this with a grain of salt because I was overwhelmed that day I was in Osswald (I had only 45 minutes before closing to explore this, MDCI, and Parfumerie Generale - FUUUUUU!!!!!!) but Enigma kept reminding me of something, and I realized that it was similar in feel to 34 Boulevard St. Germain.
    Hmmm -- maybe -- 34 is a fruity, spicy floral --- no ginger involved though

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Hmmm -- maybe -- 34 is a fruity, spicy floral --- no ginger involved though
    My opinion is definitely questionable because I also never detect ginger in fragrances. I eat it all the time but the smell (is it like ginger ale?) in fragrances to evade me.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiRobbie View Post
    Love the EDP Homme line including this one. I think Danger is my favorite at the moment.
    I agree. Danger Pour Homme is unbelievably sophisticated and sexy! Reminds me a bit of Patou pour Homme Prive.

I actually like the ginger in the opening of the edp--it really makes the scent remarkable, analogous to the function (not the scent) of the clove note in Musc Ravageur.

A lot of people seem to criticize Roja Dove's scents for not being original compositions (instead being refinements of pre-existing creations--which by the way doesn't bother me at all, if he is basing his work on concepts borrowed from great perfumes but upping the quality, isn't that a good thing?), but this one strikes me as very distinctive.