Code of Conduct

Post I bought a 500ml bottle - good idea?

Because of the price point, and because most decanters seem sketchy, I bought a 500ml bottle of Creed Aventus directly from the Creed website. Was this a good idea? Will the cologne evaporate or something? It surprises me that most people don't do this.

On a side note, when I dab my finger in the cologne, even after I wash my hands, is it making the cologne dirty/bad?

Thanks

Default Re: I bought a 500ml bottle - good idea?

Any fragrance in a splash bottle can be easily compromised by continued exposure to air. Any oils from your skin can affect the integrity as well. It is better to decant some into a spray atomizer and use this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by whomp View Post
    Because of the price point, and because most decanters seem sketchy, I bought a 500ml bottle of Creed Aventus directly from the Creed website. Was this a good idea?
    Obviously you like this scent and it's a good one, so I would say if you got a good price, it was a good idea. Nevertheless, as it is a splash, and there are inherent problems with such items as has already been suggested, you might want to consider filling a small atomizer for your personal use.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Just transfer to a spray bottle.

for swap/sale:

Atomizer, Atomizer, Atomizer.... Don't ruining your fragrance due to air exposure & touching the entire batch with your hands regardless if you've washed your hands. This kind of stuff is delicate.

If you really like the fragrance or you are decanting for splits, it's a great idea.

I wouldn't worry too much about spoiling it by dabbing, but just got convenience's sake get an atomizer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Aside from the dabbing/splash bottle issue, I guess it's a very good value for money purchase, even by niche price standards.

Congratulations for your buy and enjoy!

I have this in 4.2 oz and a backup bottle: reason I'm mentioning this, is that my initial bottle is basically at 97-98% give or take and my backup bottle is well kept ; I have this stallion in my rotation and appreciate it more when added to a rotation and not whacked it to death on your skin everyday, we tend to become complacent and begin unappreciating certain pertainings in our life's be it living or non living....IMHO(500Ml)this is tooo much juice for one guy, and should be split or share with family as you will surely not appreciate this beauty within a year or two or sooner as you are gonna not only desensitize your olfactory and under appreciate very soon, So please use sporadically if you can.....ex....wear on Fridays or Mondays only or Saturday only.. Etc ...switch it around and play with it...and take a week or two off from it and then come back to it .....Enjoy Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

If you love the perfume and you will be using it enough to warrant such a large amount, then yes its a great deal. However the others are correct in saying that you should transfer some into a an atomizer.

I would say it wasn't a good idea if you bought it just for your own personal use. How old will it be before you use it up? And won't you be extremely tired of it by then?

Even though you got a significant discount by buying such a huge quantity, you likely could have gotten it cheaper. Creeds full price on anything is exorbitant.

I think buying huge bottles like that only makes sense if you're doing a split of the fragrance for others.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Isn't the OP trolling?

Still, he is trolling.

To the OP, if you love Aventus so much and envision yourself to use it on a regular basis, it's a good idea to get the 500ml bottle and then transfer some to an atomizer just like most folks already mentioned. I got the 120ml MI in March or April ( I think) and already went through 2/3 of the bottle. However, if you don't anticipate yourself using it often, then smaller size might be a sound approach. Please note that you can participate in an Aventus split here at Basenotes. I have joined several splits here and personally have not had any problems at all thus far.

Firstly, I'm not trolling, I'm just not that experienced with buying colognes. In the future, I'll probably participate in splits on this site. Couple follow-ups...

1. Will the cologne evaporate in the bottle, even when the stopper is on?
    2. What's the best atomizer to get? All of the ones on Amazon have very mixed reviews.

My guess is that over an extended period of time, you might notice some minor degree of evaporation as even with the stopper on it's inevitable that some air will get through. As for atomizers, I'll leave that to my colleagues to advise you on who know better. And welcome to you! (609)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

You mentioned future splits twice now. Is that why you bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    You mentioned future splits twice now. Is that why you bought it?
    First, thanks for all of the replies I've gotten.

Second, I bought it with the backup plan of breaking it up and selling, but mostly I just want to use it for myself.

Hope you enjoy it!

By the way, how do I pour out of that huge bottle into an atomizer?

Also, I read about a chat room somewhere on the site. How do I get to it?
    Last edited by whomp; 20th November 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

You can pour into a beaker and from there into an atomizer using a funnel. Or you can use syringes to decant (they come in different sizes.) Pipettes are good for decanting into small atomizers. See Accessories For Fragrances for decanting supplies.

Just a heads-up, though, that you will not be able sell decants or splits of this bottle on Basenotes. Decants in general cannot be sold on Basenotes; there is a Splits board but it has strict rules and your purchase does not meet the criteria.

The Chat Room is inactive at this time.

Evaporation can indeed occur. You can wrap the stopper and neck of the bottle in Parafilm ( a stretchy plastic film used in labs) to reduce evaporation between decants. I buy Parafilm on eBay.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 20th November 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    You can pour into a beaker and from there into an atomizer using a funnel. Or you can use syringes to decant (they come in different sizes.) Pipettes are good for decanting into small atomizers. See Accessories For Fragrances for decanting supplies.

Just a heads-up, though, that you will not be able sell decants or splits of this bottle on Basenotes. Decants in general cannot be sold on Basenotes; there is a Splits board but it has strict rules and your purchase does not meet the criteria.

The Chat Room is inactive at this time.

Evaporation can indeed occur. You can wrap the stopper and neck of the bottle in Parafilm ( a stretchy plastic film used in labs) to reduce evaporation between decants. I buy Parafilm on eBay.
    Thanks, I'll probably buy Parafilm.

I'm amazed, though, that this board doesn't have an active chatroom. There's 410 people viewing the men's fragrance threads right now! It would be so easy to just open up a #basenotes chatroom on irc.freenode.net, and then people could get to it through webchat.freenode.net.

There's an Off Topic thread for chat here, whomp.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370482-Off-Topic

Banned
    Blog Entries

500 ML of anything is 2 much imo unless you have a small collection and plan on wearing it almost everyday..