Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Race to Acquire the Good Stuff?

I'm finding myself doing a bit of a race at times, once having discovered a wonderful discontinued scent. It seems that many of the best scents are discontinued. Of course, being a newbie, I haven't had the benefit of acquiring over many years, but I'm curious if this has always been the case in the land of perfume lovers.

If you were a collector in the 80's, were you frantically trying to find discontinued formulations that had great reputation? Or is this simply a phenomenon of the web-age?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Race to Acquire the Good Stuff?

I know I just acquired another bottle of Creed's Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie, having read on here that natural Jasmine is going to be banned? Not 100% certain that's right, but it sure panicked me into a quick buy while I check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

We are better informed and news travels faster...basically communities like basenotes keep us in top of news and hence better informed, so yes we feel the effects more in our more fast pace in all aspects of perfume realm because WWW.....cheerios

btw, I'm sure it occasionally occurred then but now it occurs to the 100th power and news about it is received and given instantaneously but it's not all bad because you have more options like EBay , Amazon , basenotes , etc ...can find that discontinued frag, So hard to find!!!back then...I can't even imagine if you weren't connected to insiders or manufacturers or so it would be a tremendous task...
    Last edited by magnus611; 18th November 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents"

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I'm curious if this has always been the case in the land of perfume lovers. Or is this simply a phenomenon of the web-age?
    The damn Web is to be blamed

If i lived in the 50 / 60 / 70's, with no internet, neither will i have the knowledge on many perfumes, nor would i the ability to buy online.

- - - Updated - - -

& blame basenotes / fragrantica as well (as "to err is human", we have to leave ourselves out of the blame game)!!!

Well, with so many fragrances compared to years past, the number of discontinued fragrances is also going to rise.

Seems like in this hobby, if you like it - get it. Or else, it may be gone...

He who hesitates, has to look on ebay.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

There are excellent new ones being made and the variety of styles available is massive these days compared to pre-internet times.
    It didn't really occur to me that people really seriously collected scent, pre-Basenotes membership - although I've always been inclined to hoard my favourites!

I think it's more a web-age thing. Today, we can go shopping and purchase fragrances without even leaving our homes. Much easier access.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I think there may be more racing about now due to IFRA-inspired reformulations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I know I just acquired another bottle of Creed's Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie, having read on here that natural Jasmine is going to be banned? Not 100% certain that's right, but it sure panicked me into a quick buy while I check it out.
    Thats an amazing perfume, and i'm shocked to hear this news. I don't blame you for wanting to stock up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    He who hesitates, has to look on ebay.
    LOL, true dat!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Jasmine hasn't been banned, the permitted percentages of various things have been reduced 'though.
    Last edited by lpp; 19th November 2013 at 01:12 PM.

If you were a collector in the 80's, were you frantically trying to find discontinued formulations that had great reputation? Or is this simply a phenomenon of the web-age?
    The way I am now, I was the same in the 80s but it was more difficult finding that elusive scent then.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These days, as soon as I find a frag I like, I usually buy it and sometimes a back-up. They issue re formulations all too quickly. There are many good ones that are pretty amazing considering how strict the regulations are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I won't blame the web but everything was a bit or a lot even different then. And there are other factors as well. Earlier on I wasn't able to buy what i can afford nowadays. I didn't have the knowledge. I didn't know I like scents that much. And so on. But ... But why do not live in the present? I mean, I have some bottles i like, others I do love but I don't get much the chance to wear them. they are all in their boxes, 3 or 4 sprays shorter. Yes, but I cannot bring myself to get rid of any of them. But I wouldn't search much for something I wouldn't be able to wear. Perhaps I am not a true collector?

Quote Originally Posted by prosperonline View Post
    Perhaps I am not a true collector?
    Just a different collector with different priorities! Nothing wrong with that IMO. (608)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from slightly more informed right new about classics, vintages, discontinued products, series or even whole brands, not much has otherwise changed for me, especially in terms of fragrance collecting.
    If there is any difference, the search for rare/vintage/discontinued fragrances has become a far more deliberate, balanced, well-pondered choice, as in thinking it over (though the exact amount may vary) ten times before buying once.

Post Thanks / Like

Passionate people have always existed danieq, but threads like "today I bought " & "so and so perfume is really good and got discontinued" really do amplify the itch to aquire.

I'll say take it at your own pace. Nothing is impossible to acquire. And if its expensive today , it'll only be a bit more expensive in the future when you're ready to get it. So no need to rush.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I started seriously backing up a few favourites as soon as I read The Guide - 5 or 6 years ago. Until then I wasn't aware how pervasive the EU/IFRA thing was (and still is - it's getting worse, not better).

Obviously chypres were in the firing line but as mentioned elsewhere it's not just oak moss - rose, bergamot, jasmine, just about anything that matters - is now deemed potentially threatening, so there you go.

I think the end of the 20th Century basically marked the end of Modern Perfumery as kicked off with Jicky and the first serious 'non realistic' mix of synthetics and naturals.

Perfumery is not dead, of course, but we are in a new era . . . austerity, or impoverishment of key ingredients, is now the norm and to a large extent three dimensional work has been reduced to two dimensional chemical facsimiles of what once was.

Most people out there, the civilians, (and quite a few here, it seems) don't know or notice the difference - which is just fine with most of the manufacturers

I do hope Wasser pulls something off with his quest to offer 'Heritage' versions of some Guerlains, and curators like Roja Dove continue to try to keep things alive. Maybe some of the more artisanal makers will offer more 'original' formulas and concentrations with some form of Held Harmless doc to be signed by the buyer . . . I think Chris is doing this.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    And if its expensive today , it'll only be a bit more expensive in the future when you're ready to get it. So no need to rush.
    hedonist222, I thought this was always the case, but MDCI's Enlevement du Serail, which I fell instantly in love with, has apparently gone down in price since it was introduced. Does that happen often?

Post Thanks / Like

hedonist222, I thought this was always the case, but MDCI's Enlevement du Serail, which I fell instantly in love with, has apparently gone down in price since it was introduced. Does that happen often?
    Frankly I don't follow price trends.
    But demand does dictate the direction of price.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the bargain shopper in me is what leads to the frantic search. I also know very little of what IRFA does. I need to get more information about this.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a temporary 'sticky' thread with some info. here, danieq - the accompanying discussion thread hasn't returned from Huddler yet.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...ed-24-08-2013)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    There's a temporary 'sticky' thread with some info. here, danieq - the accompanying discussion thread hasn't returned from Huddler yet.
    Wow. Thank you LPP. It is a wonder that we can have any perfume at all. I was particularly struck by the comment about the difference between the way food allergens are regulated verses scent allergens. It seems so illogical. Pretty soon, we'll need to ban nature altogether. In my area, Olive Trees are banned. I wonder how people in Olive growing areas ever survive.

Post Thanks / Like

Both points are correct. Internet has increased the ability and urgency to find DC fragrances, and the IFRA has accelerated the occurrence of discontinuation. Long ago, I bowed out of the race and decided to limit myself to what is currently available.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Both points are correct. Internet has increased the ability and urgency to find DC fragrances, and the IFRA has accelerated the occurrence of discontinuation. Long ago, I bowed out of the race and decided to limit myself to what is currently available.

That's my strategy too, purplebird7 - and there's no shortage of temptation out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    That's my strategy too, purplebird7 - and there's no shortage of temptation out there!
    I find that there is enough going on in current perfumery to more than exhaust my time and budget, too. In theory, I have decided to stop chasing things that are disappearing over the horizon. I discovered, though, that I'm not completely immune to temptation; I'm waiting on an eBayed bottle of M7 orginal formulation... I've always wanted to smell it as a reference point, since oud became so popular.

I think it's sad that IFRA has chosen the ban rather than warning route, but as with so many things that have changed in the world, there's not much to be gained by mourning what's past. Modern perfumers have proven themselves very resourceful and are turning out plenty of IFRA-compliant perfumes that I find worthwhile.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Is perfumery anything like the clothing industry, which prices new designs very high when they first come out, knowing they intend to gradually lower them for mid-level and budget shoppers?

- - - Updated - - -

Big thanks for this link. I missed this discussion.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Is perfumery anything like the clothing industry, which prices new designs very high when they first come out, knowing they intend to gradually lower them for mid-level and budget shoppers?

- - - Updated - - -

Big thanks for this link. I missed this discussion.

You're welcome, ScentFan - the accompanying discussion thread was saved on my laptop but it didn't copy very tidily at the first attempt so was ditched!
    Will have another try later - it's a very wet day here today!

As has been mentioned, there is still plenty of great stuff being produced, despite the various challenges being faced - of which regulation by the IFRA is only one.
    Last edited by lpp; 20th November 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Yes, danieq, I share your concern. I've always loved scent, but generally stuck to one or two for a few years, and just collected different versions of that. But in 2009 or thereabouts, I noticed that a lot of my old favourites had changed, so I went on a mission to find new (to me) frags to love, and succeeded. BN has been very helpful here, also Fragrantica, etc.

But yes, the spread of knowledge cuts both ways. We know what we want to buy, but so do many others now, and the soaring prices of precious vintages reflect that demand. So what I do now is, if I love a scent, I buy two bottles when I can afford it, and try to acquire backups when I'm down to the last bottle (as I've just done with my precious Ta'if). I'm among those who wail about IFRA, and wish things were different, but given the restrictions that now exist as opposed to even five years ago, we're lucky to find anything new at all that we like.

If I could afford it, I'd be snapping up vintages on eBay like so many people here. But with five cats and two kids, not to mention a hungry husband, to feed, I can't afford it! Maybe by the time I'm a grandmother I'll have a bit more dosh, but by then I might have lost my sense of smell!