Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jasmine Sniff-Fest, Part 2

Hello, Jasmine lovers. I made notes in anticipation of continuing this thread, but since it's still lost in the Huddler, I'm also starting a Part 2, instead of waiting. Here’s the start, if you’d like to see it: http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/382624

First, let me share a real text reply I sent to my S.O. last week. "Oh, what time is it? Haven't dressed and brushed my teeth yet. Grin." The time was 4:49 pm. What had I been doing? Reading Basenote forum messages, writing forum messages, sniffing samples, ordering samples, looking up info about perfume on the Internet. What I intended to do was turn on the computer and play music in the background while brushing my teeth. Unfortunately, I checked email first and saw a reply to a Basenotes thread. There went the hours. Luckily, I had no obligations that day.

I guess this confirms I'm a perfume addict. Jasmine is my intoxication of choice. Since to me it’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever smelled, I thought of playing the most beautiful music I’ve ever heard as I explore Jasmine perfumes. Nessun Dorma? (None Shall Sleep). It’s one of those arias so affecting and so famous no one mentions the opera it’s from. Just say Nessun Dorma and folks into opera know Turandot. Same thing with Un Bel Di. Opera fans know that’s from Madama Butterfly. Nah, these two are so emotional, they’ll take my mind off the subject. Better, I’m thinking, is Ravel’s Bolero. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KgpEru9lhw. Just like Jasmine, it’s hypnotic. The winding melody helps me picture the Jasmine blossom, stirring from the long night and unfurling its white petals to the dawn, soon to find its sultry essence swirled with other noble scents to achieve perfumery’s version of Bolero’s grand crescendo -- the perfect perfume.

The name Jasmine is Persian, originating from the land of the Tales of a Thousand and one Nights. Appropriate that Aladdin’s princess has that name — not in the centuries-old original, mind you, the princess there was unnamed — but in the Disney film. However, Yasmin is a popular Persian name. I picture majestic carved pillars hung with long, flowing fabrics that blow in a morning breeze. From between them comes a woman still wearing her thin night shift. A servant helps her pull the shift over her head and she walks across cool tiles and slips into her courtyard pool. No man is there. This is the harem. Submerging, she dips her hair into the water then floats on her back, enchanted by the palms that sway above, by the rising sun, and the smell of Jasmine all around. Will her true love find her and take her away on a magic carpet, or will the sultan visit and against her will make her his own? Each night she has rejected him, though he lay the world at her feet. But she knows he won’t wait forever. Resigned to her fate, she aches with anticipation. One day she’ll be rescued, or turn her face from love and be a queen — here, in the Jasmine garden.

Jasmine is a shrub in the olive family, Wikipedia says. It has 200 species “native to tropical and warm temperate regions of Europe, Asia, and Africa.”

Jasmine_grandiflorum.jpg

The Nature’s Gift sampler has the three apparently most used in perfumery: Grandiflora, Sambac, and Auriculatum (which I hadn't heard of).

Jasmine Grandiflora. (Catalonian Jasmine, Royal Jasmine, Spanish Jasmine). It’s exactly like my Perfumery Notes Kit sample. Again I smell the indolic, narcotic scent. When I think of Jasmine, this is it. I could wear it by itself. Someone here described the smell as bananas — yes, flambéd in a great rum until the alcohol burns off, then add vanilla. That’s only an approximation, of course. How describe a primary floral scent, itself used to describe other smells. Per Wikipedia: “By method of solvent extraction the Jasmine flowers are converted into Jasmine Concrete and Jasmine Oleoresin (sold as Jasmine Absolute). Both products have a huge demand in the fragrance industry.”

Jasmine Sambac. (Arabian Jasmine) Native to South and Southeast Asia. A decidedly less indolic version, with less projection, less presence. It also has a whiff of something resembling cinnamon, though not quite as sharp. I suppose if all the Grandiflora in the world vanished, I could accept this, but not happily. Okay, re-sniffing a day later. Perhaps I’m wrong. This is certainly a beautiful, even majestic, scent and had I not smelled grandiflora first, I’d say it’s unsurpassed. [Big coffee bean sniff] Back to grandiflora, it’s instantly intoxicating, smoother, milkier, sophisticated. [Coffee beans]. Back to Sambac, something cinnamon-like right away rides above the Jasmine which soon joins in, yes, majesty. Okay, I like it.

Jasmine Auriculatum: (Indian Jasmine, Needle-flower Jasmine) Frankly, I’m insulted that this astringent wannabe dares pretend to equal its grand cousins. This is not my kind of Jasmine. When the sultan comes, he'll make her his consort, not his queen. It's akin to Sambac with a dab of civet thrown in. Supposedly good (like all Jasmines) for soothing trauma and tension, it’s causing me both by not being glorious. Wikipedia doesn’t even give it a whole paragraph. However, I do suppose it could become agreeable in combination with other perfume ingredients, perhaps decreasing the need for musks — assuming you throw in an actual banana to make up for the lack of indoles, though!

In my next installment, I’ll return to sniffing Jasmine perfumes, grouping them by classification and/or main ingredients. Like Yasmin, I am anxious. Will they be consummations of love, alliances of grandeur, or both? At least they won’t be alone in that pool.

Until next time...

p.s. Comments, corrections, additions, subtractions all very welcome.

p.p.s. Below is the complete Jasmine Sniff List with links. F=finalist.

Aerin Lauder Ikat Jasmine EdP

Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile

Armani Prive Èclat de Jasmin

Bottega Venetta Edp

Bruno Comparo Jasmin EdP

Bvlgari Jasmin Noir

by Killian Love & Tears

Caron Acociosa Parfum

Caron Lady Caron

Creed Jasmal

Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie F

Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie
    F

Demeter Jasmine F

Diptyque Olène F

Donna Karan Essence Jasmine

Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmine White Moss EdP

Etat Libre d'Orange Jasmin et Cigarette

Galimard Gelsomino

Galimard Ma Faute

Galimard Yavana

Givenchy Organza Jasmine Recolte Harvest 2005

Givenchy Organza Jasmine Recolte Harvest 2007

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Jasminora

Guerlain Encens Mythique D'Orient

Guerlain Samsara

Guerlain Sous le Vent

Guerlain Vol de Nuit, vintage parfum

Isabey La Route d'Emeraude

Jean Patou Joy EdP

Keiko Mecheri Clair Obscur

Korres Pepper Jasmine Gaiac Wood

Lancôme Cuir de Lancôme

Laurence Dumont (Les Senteurs Gourmandes) Prune Jasmine

Le Galion Jasmin EdP

Le Labo Jasmin 17 EdP

Lush Lust

Magnetic Scent Untitled #1 F

Malak Perfumes Jasmine

MDCI Enlevement au Serial F

Montale Jasmin Full Winner

Nasomatto Narcotic Venus

Nasomatto Nuda

Nicolaï Odalisque F

Olio Lusso Rodin

Parfumerie Générale Drama Nuii

Parmumerie Générale Psychotrope

Rana J Jasmine Kâma

Serge Lutens A La Nuit F

Serge Lutens Sarrasins

Serge Lutens Sarrasins

Tauer La Maroc Pour Elle

The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit

Thierry Mugler Alien

Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge
    Last edited by ScentFan; 4th April 2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Add links to all perfumes

Default Re: Jasmine Sniff-Fest, Part 2

Thank you for your informative post.

Ones worth seeking samples of that aren't on the list:

Donna Karan Jasmine

Lust by Lush a *big* jasmine

Good luck with your sniffs.
    Last edited by kalli; 18th November 2013 at 06:39 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

ScentFan, thanks for returning to this subject, l look forward to reading more of your informative & entertaining posts.

Oh, & l know all about those "not dressed or brushed my teeth yet" days, LOL!

This is off-topic really, but l find it interesting that you choose music to sniff along to. l find that l can't listen to music at all or cope with background noise when l'm testing perfumes. lt's almost as if it prevents me from "hearing" the scent. Something to do with sensory overload, perhaps?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

THE JASMINE SNIFF LIST

These are the samples I have. Classifications are from: D, The Fragrance Foundation Directory; F, Fragrantica. U=Unisex. (Couldn’t find them in Perfume Intelligence! I must be missing something)

Acaciosa Parfum by Caron (Floral-D,F)
    À La Nuit EdP by Serge Lutens (U Floral -D, Oriental Floral,F)
    Alien by Thierry Mugler (Floral Orient,D; Oriental Woody F)
    Aqua Allegoria Jasminora by Guerlain (Floral,D)
    Bottega Venetta, EdP, Bottega Vanetta (Chypre Floral,F)
    Clair Obscur, Keiko Mecheri (Floral,F)
    Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme (Dry Woods,D; Chypre Floral, F)
    Éclat de Jasmin by Armani Privé (Floral, D; Chypre Floral, F)
    Enlevement au Serial by MDCI (Oriental Floral,F)
    Encens Mythique D’Orient by Guerlain (U Oriental Woody,F)
    Ikat Jasmine EdP by Aerin Lauder (Floral,F)
    Jasmal by Creed (Floral, F)
    Jasmin EdP by Bruno Acampora
    *Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed (Floral, D; Floral Woody Musk, F)
    Jasmin 17, EdP, Le Labo (Floral Woody Musk, F; U Floral D)
    Jasmin de Nuit by The Different Company (Floral, D&F)
    Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d’Orange (Woody Floral Musk, F; Dry Woods, D)
    Jasmin Full by Montale (Floral, F)
    Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari (Oriental Floral, F; Woods, D)
    Jasmin Rouge by Tom Ford: Private Blend (Floral, D; Oriental Floral, F)
    Jasmin Eau de Parfum, vintage, by Le Galion
    Jasmine by Malak Perfumes
    Jasmine Cologne by Demeter (Floral, F)
    Jasmine White Moss EdP by Estée Lauder Private Collection (Mossy Woods, D)
    *Joy EdP by Patou (Floral, D&F )
    Lady Caron EdP by Caron (Mossy Woods, D; Chypre Floral F)
    Le Jasmin Annick Goutal (Floral, F)
    Love & Tears by Killian (Floral, F)
    Narcotic Venus by Nasomatto (Floral, D; Floral, F)
    Nuda by Nasomatto (Floral, F)
    Odalisque by Nicolaiï (Floral, D; Floral,F)
    Olène by Diptyque (U Floral, D; Floral, F)
    Organza Jasmine Recolte Harvest 2005 by Givenchy (Floral, F)
    Organza Jasmine Recolte Harvest 2007 by Givenchy (Floral, F)
    Pepper Jasmine Gaiac Wood by Korres (Oriental Spicy,F)
    Prune Jasmine [Les Senteurs Gourmandes] by Laurence Dumont (Floral Fuity Gourmand, F)
    Samsara, EdP & EdT, by Guerlain (Woody Oriental,D; Oriental Wood,F)
    *Sarrasins by Serge Lutens (Floral, F)
    Sous le Vent Guerlain (Mossy Woods,D; Chypre Floral, F)
    Vol de Nuit, vintage parfum, Guerlain (Woody, F)

*=reviewed in Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post

Donna Karan Jasmine

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Thanks, kalli. I added Vol de Nuit, but I’d better stop here and pick up remaining Jasmines in a follow-up.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    ScentFan, thanks for returning to this subject, l look forward to reading more of your informative & entertaining posts.

Oh, & l know all about those "not dressed or brushed my teeth yet" days, LOL!

This is off-topic really, but l find it interesting that you choose music to sniff along to. l find that l can't listen to music at all or cope with background noise when l'm testing perfumes. lt's almost as if it prevents me from "hearing" the scent. Something to do with sensory overload, perhaps?
    Very interesting comment. I’m trying to imagine this, but you’re talking to someone who searched for musical accompaniment to brushing her teeth! My life has been lived to music, so much so that when I started meditating, I had to find recorded chants, singing bowls, something. Silence didn’t work, too boring, we’ll have enough of that in the grave. (Actually, I was delighted that reliable near death experiences report hearing heavenly music). For me, it’s pretty much automatic, before doing anything, to find music that represents it. In public, I’m often humming music in my head. But, by coincidence just today I decided to try silent meditation, as some advise. It worked (after a 5-minute serene instrumental). Now I’ll have to try silent sniffing and compare results.

ScentFan, I’m right with you in a love of jasmine and Opera. Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves, Dome Epais, O Mio Babbino Caro and L'Amour Est Un Oiseau Rebelle are on high rotation for sniffing sessions. I did just get through all 14 CDs of Wagner: The Ring recently. I tend to mark my life with fragrance and music like an instant shortcut to access cherished memories and feelings.

I love your imagery of Yasmin in the harem. I say refuse the Sultan! A Queen in title is ultimately a hollow existence if not wrapped in the love of your hearts desire.

Anyway back to the perfumes. Now I know that Nasomatto doesn't get much love here but I stand by my Nuda and as a second Narcotic Venus for the that tuberose/jasmine combo. Maybe it's just one where the perfume picks the wearer?

Nuda to me is more in the grandiflorum realm a narcotic heady indolic jasmine. What slept in skin would smell like the morning after a sultry night in a bed that has been lovingly strewn in a mass jasmine blossoms. For me, it is addictively sexy and if I ever smell this on someone in the ‘wild' I would momentarily lose the power to speak. For now I will just wear it myself and try, occasionally, to wrestle my nose away from my wrist

Now to Intelligent Nutrients Jasmine Absolute. This a beautiful jasmine sambac concentrate, rich and deep. This is one of my favourites to wear just alone or to layer because unlike Nuda’s sexiness it a comfort scent and reminds me of fresh strong brewed jasmine tea, with a faint whiff of smokiness. Best given a couple minutes to settle as it needs some air time to come alive. It brings me back my childhood were jasmine samba grew in profusion. I would collect blossoms and sit for hours, string them on piece of thread and wear then as if they were the most precious diamond necklace (and to me they were).

I keep something similar to this on my desk when my plants are in bloom and it's heaven.

Next to try when I retrieve them from storage Joy and Vol de Nuit (vintage EdC).
    Last edited by Xscent; 19th November 2013 at 08:51 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

I recently tried Keiko Mecheri's Jasmine which was way too animalic and stanky for me. If one is looking for a stanky, animalic jasmine, look no further.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I recently tried Keiko Mecheri's Jasmine which was way too animalic and stanky for me. If one is looking for a stanky, animalic jasmine, look no further.
    Ohhh, all the things I like . Kalli is it just bit too much or way OTT? Will have to go try this one. Sounds like a must try for me either way.

Personally I have a strange relationship with Jasmine as I am often surrounded with it. It's very hard for me to get the correct scent to what I know as Jasmine in the morning and night blooming Jasmine.

A La Nuit captures Jasmine very well. But not on the list is the perfume Number 1 by Magnetic scents. This was made by Dr. Spyros Drosopoulos in his workshop in Amsterdam. For me this has outdone every other Jasmine fragrance and captures that running home through Jasmine flowers and going to sleep with the overnight blooming Jasmine along the window pane.

It takes a lot for me to get excited about Jasmine. Psychotrope by PG, if you can find it, is a brilliant Jasmine, as is Drama Nuui again by PG and a la unit by SL gets very close with Magnetic Scents Number 1 representing to me what jasmine is all about!

Personally I think at least Drama Nuui and Magnetic scents Number 1 should be included on the list......they are remarkable jasmines!
    Last edited by Sea Roses; 19th November 2013 at 12:06 PM.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Ohhh, all the things I like . Kalli is it just bit too much or way OTT? Will have to go try this one. Sounds like a must try for me either way.
    For me it was over the top but if those are things you like, I'd say it may not be. Worth a try if you like those qualities probably.

ScentFan, I’m right with you in a love of jasmine and Opera. Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves, Dome Epais, O Mio Babbino Caro and L'Amour Est Un Oiseau Rebelle are on high rotation for sniffing sessions. I did just get through all 14 CDs of Wagner: The Ring recently. I tend to mark my life with fragrance and music like an instant shortcut to access cherished memories and feelings....

Next to try when I retrieve them from storage Joy and Vol de Nuit (vintage EdC).
    Oh! Oh! Oh! I love them all. I was just playing Carmen's L'amour, etc., the other day as I sniffed and described Narcisso Rodriquez for women in my Learning Chypre thread, I think it was. We mustn't forget Casta Diva and Barcarolle. All of Wagner?? You're SERIOUS! As for the rest, can't wait to sniff the Nasomattos. Not to worry about Yasmin. I have a feeling she's coming with us on this journey.

Agree 100,000%. I mentioned somewhere recently that I bought the $5 Al Rehab Jasmine (and a few others) and threw them immediately out because they literally reeked of formaldehyde. How shocked I was to find the same revolting (to me) aldehydic smell in KM's Jasmine. From what I've smelled so far, I suspect the KM line is very adehydic, but my nose just rebels with certain ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    ...A La Nuit captures Jasmine very well. But not on the list is the perfume Number 1 by Magnetic scents. This was made by Dr. Spyros Drosopoulos in his workshop in Amsterdam. For me this has outdone every other Jasmine fragrance and captures that running home through Jasmine flowers and going to sleep with the overnight blooming Jasmine along the window pane....
    Personally I think at least Drama Nuui and Magnetic scents Number 1 should be included on the list......they are remarkable jasmines!
    I'd made a firm decision to stop buying Jasmine samples, but I guess I'd better find these...Intelligent Nutrients Jasmine Absolute as well, since you and Xscent live surrounded by Jasmine. Thanks to both of you for the recommendations.

Can't wait to clear my day of other activities so I can begin the sniff-fest. I couldn't be happier anticipating it, but for the minor detail that I can't actually wear (i.e., douse myself in) perfume if I'm going to be testing it. Such is the sacrifice of the perfumista!

Thanks so much for posting about the three kinds of jasmine. Very interesting. Something I've done before, wanted to do again, and haven't gotten around to doing. Gradiflora was my favorite, too, but I thought sambac was supposed to be the more indolic species.

I can help with that Xscent!

Drama Nuui is in my Luckyscent basket. Magnet Scent #1 is on the way with three of their modern chypres. Thanks, Xscent. The Intelligent Nutrients Jasmine Absolute isn't available as a sample and since I have a sample of Sambac absolute, I'll go with that. Now to the sniffing.

I've organized the list into 8 groupings: Floral 1, Orientals, Floral 2, Woods, Floral 3, Woods2, Floral 4, Chypres. Ending there will help me segue to my Learning Chypre thread, with all samples hopefully arrived.

I start my iTunes opera playlist with Offenbach's Bacarolle, Belle Nuit...(beautiful night). The day is over. Mine and Yasmin's. Someone knocks at the door of her harem quarters. It's one of the sultan's retainers, a turbaned eunuch, carrying a tray of gold. On it are five flasks. Do any please our heroine enough to allow the sultan a visit?

FLORAL 1

Acaciosa Parfum by Caron (Floral-D,F). The first scent is so charming, I don't want to analyze, just smell. (The sultan has chosen with an eye toward enchantment.) There's no sharpness or aggression, nothing vulgar or suggestive, no sultriness. My guess is this is Jasmine Sambac, not the grandiflora. In a way, it reminds me of Bal à Versaille in its sophistication. Perhaps bergamot is there and sandalwood. Yasmin asks, dying to know (as for me, I look up the notes). Pineapple and orange blossoms? I could have guessed the latter, not the first. Rose and lily of the valley? Ylang ylang, vanilla. Sandalwood. Ambergris, the least offensive of the musks. Amber, too. I don't want to stop sniffing. This is a gloriously accomplished perfume. Whoever made it knows the nose. Looking it up...released in 1924? Just when women were dancing the scandalous Charleston and demanding the vote. This perfume must have found its way to the Waldorf Astoria, laced itself among the potted palms and hung over tables around the dance floor. It's sweet, but not so much that it cloys. It projects agreeably. Hard to go wrong buying this. It's confident and mature, but ultimately not for me. I do like it a lot and might adore it had I not smelled Bal à Versaille.

[Coffee Beans]

Aqua Allegoria Jasminora by Guerlain (Floral,D). An immediately different, fresher Jasmine. Is that the marine note I've been reading about? I wonder if I'm smelling patchouli instead of sandalwood in the base? I definitely smell something green, but as I keep smelling, I feel a pre-sneeze coming on. Aldehydes? Spice? After awhile, I'm done smelling -- unlike with Acaciosa, which I could have sniffed all night. [Coffee beans]. Yes, Acaciosa intoxicates. I think it's the combination of Jasmine and rose with sandalwood, the orange blossoms. [Coffee beans]. Back to the Aqua...its presence is immediately marine...watery, airy, lighter. What's in it: The top is galbanum, bergamot and cyclamen. I only know bergamot. Looking up the others: galbanum is green like "sliced green peppers and hyacinth" according to the "Bois de Jasmin" blog. Cyclamen, a flower, must be adding the wateriness. The base is white musk, musk and amber. No woods at all. [Re-sniff]. Now I smell the green from the galbanum. This is a very fresh scent. If I'm going yachting, I'll wear it. I don't feel compelled to own the perfume.

Clair Obscur, Keiko Mecheri (Floral,F) I guess by now it's no secret what I think of this, but let me try to analyze it from a sample. Okay, it's rather bald and quite aggressive. It's as if the eunuch held her down and stuffed Jasmine petals up her nose and NOT the grandiflora. Perhaps this is that wannabe Jasmine, Auriculatum. No, it's Sicilian mixed with "absolute." No other ingredients. Ha! That explains it. It's a mafia Jasmine, rude and insistent. With no finesse it orders that you smell it and nothing else then bow down. [Yasmin slaps the eunuch and returns the bottle to the golden tray.]

Ikat Jasmine EdP by Aerin Lauder (Floral,F) Made by a relative of Estée, I presume. Yes, her granddaughter. All right, let's see what she learned from grandma. Whoa, cool! A fresh, young Jasmine for the woman on the go (assuming it's between the Hampton's and Bergdorf's). Nice, smart, accessible the woman who wears this. What's in it? Jasmine Sambac. Makes sense. No indoles. Egyptian Jasmine, Tuberose (not 100% sure what that smells like yet), Honeysuckle (yes, its sparkle is right there) in a base of smooth sandalwood. So smart to ground these strong florals in something that keeps them bright. I like this. I don't love, love it, but I do like it a lot.

Jasmal by Creed (Floral, F). So what has the perfumer to emperors given us in Jasmal? Sniff. Clair Obscur without the mafia? Hmmm, nope, for the first time I detect something decidedly animalic. Is that civet? Horse manure? I'm not sure I like my Jasmine growing in a barnyard. To me this is what Napoleon would have worn if he'd lived long enough to visit the Moulin Rouge and pick up coquettes ... or what his horse would have worn while out to stud with noble mares. Looking it up. Top: bergamot. Mid: Italian and Moroccan Jasmine. Base galbanum and ambergris. All I've got to say is that must have been one heck of a constipated whale. These can't be the only notes. Alone, none could produce this, ah .. stench! Unless Creed deliberately used one of the lesser lumps of ambergris I've read about -- one that wasn't out to sea long enough to mellow. An interesting and quite carnal Jasmine, but not for me.

Okay, one last whiff of each of the papers. Acaciosa (mmm, ahhh), Aqua Allergoria (wow, fresh breeze), Clair Obscur (of all the gall), Ikat Jasmine (meet you for lunch at Danielle), Jasmal Creed (ewww, you naughty, dirty little thing).

As for Yasmin, she takes only Acaciosa from the tray. Sultans vs Lovers-on-Magic Carpets aside, she is female and won't shun high art in perfume.

Not sure how to do sample passes, yet, but if anyone would like to smell and report on the other four, drop me a PM. I'm keeping Acaciosa for myself!

Until next time...
    Last edited by ScentFan; 22nd November 2013 at 06:13 PM.

Guerlainista

Just read this thread. Great thread and very nice work! I know exactly what you mean, but for me it usually ends up being late nights, followed by bleary-eyed mornings fueled by quad espressos. :-)

Now you're getting me interested in jasmine! To be honest, I've been feeling for a while like it was about time I started to explore florals. As you know, I lost in the rose garden at the moment, but now you've got me contemplating a couple of jasmin buys, as a sort of elective. I was about to pull the trigger on a bottle of A la Nuit. I still might.

My only experience of jasmine has been once when we were having dinner early one evening at a local restaurant. It was a lovely day in early summer, and we were sitting outside. I was occasionally catching a beautiful floral scent, and looked around several time to try to see who's perfume it was. Finally, I realized it was the Star Jasmine growing all over the fence right next to our table! It turns out Star Jasmine isn't actually Jasmine at all - just a vine with flowers that smell a bit like jasmine.

Acaciosa sounds beautiful. Maybe I'll get a decant of that one too,

Keep it up!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post

Keep it up!
    Acaciosa is great stuff! Rich, honeyed, indolic and a bit horsey (I thought). It was our great Caron expert Larimar who suggested it to me. It's the one Caron that really caught my attention in a recent testing, but apparently it's going to discontinued soon, so if you like it don't hang around.

... mornings fueled by quad espressos. :-)

I thought I was the only wreck taking quad espresso shots!

Rubegon, you should read the Acaciosa thread in the archive and get a decant. Sam has summed it up perfectly. Acaciosa is more a perfume I wear at home for my own pleasure. The sillage it leaves in a room is not unlike Narcisse Noir, which is
    no surprise really.

I know I'm pretty much alone with this, but Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Jasmin is the perfect soliflor for me. Read the notes list and all is clear! Most MPGs get quite a number of bad reviews here, which I honestly do not understand.

Guerlainista

You are definitely not alone, Larimar! I'm right there with you. :-)

I'll check it out - TPC makes it easy with their decants at reasonable prices. I already got a 5ml decant of Or et Noir. I can find the MPG locally, so I'll make a point to give it a sniff the next time I come across it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Scentfan thank you for including Drama Nuui and Magnetic Scent number 1 ........I am so looking forward to what you think!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I know I'm pretty much alone with this, but Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Jasmin is the perfect soliflor for me. Read the notes list and all is clear!
    You had sparked my interest already in the MPG-thread.

To your already impressive list, ScentFan, I would like to add Jasmin Kâma by Rania J. I have not sampled it yet but it reportedly is beautiful and centres on Egyptian jasmine.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Danieq you are an angel! Would love some to sample some OTT skanky jasmine.

Wonderful write up ScentFan. L’Amour is what started my love of the Opera when I was a barely a teen. I also have you to thank for my recent acquisition of NR for Her EdP

Wagner took a few days to get through but I do love it. What a feat of human achievement. I had to put on some Carmen afterward which seemed like a bit of Operatic fluff after Wagner.

Sea Roses thank you for the suggestions, they will go into my sample order this week.

I see Yasmin is learning the high art of the chase, easy to be blinded by the pretty and sparkle. Nice to see she is holding strong.

The Aqua Di Parma Gelsomino Nobile uses Calabrian jasmine. I’m not sure how exactly this jasmine differs from the ones I’m more familiar with. It’s a nice floral, not much depth for me. A bit ‘meh’ need my jasmine a touch more assertive.

Would love to try Bruno Acampora Jasmin too, that one sounds interesting and a bit more to my liking.

Opera playlist includes La Donna E Mobile (that Duke what a cad!) and Tannhäuser - Begluckt Darf Nun Dich (Pilgrims’ Chorus) for this evening sniffing. Scrubbed of the days Jicky and now for Chanel No.5 EdP, going with the modern iteration because to use the vintage would be a tease.

I can just pick out the jasmine then it’s gone again pushed aside by the ylang ylang. It seems a tad easier to pick up if I sniff at arms length. I wear this fragrance quite a bit so I wonder if the jasmine accord for me is inseparable from the overall No.5 smell? Or, more likely the case my nose is obviously not trained enough to clearly pick the jasmine among the floral melange. I will have to contend with enjoying it as an overall composition.

Still one of my all time favourites fragrances. Now that I'm done sniffing I'm going to spray with abandon and then sink into a dreamy haze state.

Larimar and Rubegon I'm in awe of your quad espresso guzzling ways. A double ristretto interspersed with macchiatos during the day is all I can manage. Hmmm, adding Acaciosa to the buy list, I like horsey.

Enjoyable reading! Thank you, ScentFan. I would like to smell and review, so Pm me if you need me, but, oh, how I hate to have my heart broken by falling in love with fragrances that the IFRA will cause to be axed or gutted. Been there, done that, too many times.

Teardrop, I found myself sniffing silently, fully absorbed for a while.

Thanks for all the encouraging replies and tolerance of my inexperience! Hope to get better at this as I proceed. I should share that I'm probably either allergic to or sensitive to some chemical compounds. So if I react strongly to a scent you love, it's probably just me. Chanel No. 5 and Joy, for instance, both bother me. I know I'm a chorus of one on that.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Thanks so much for posting about the three kinds of jasmine. Very interesting. Something I've done before, wanted to do again, and haven't gotten around to doing. Gradiflora was my favorite, too, but I thought sambac was supposed to be the more indolic species.
    I haven't read about this. Can you point me to a link? That grandiflora is the more indolic is the report of my nose, which can be quite idiosyncratic, I'm learning.

... As you know, I lost in the rose garden at the moment, but now you've got me contemplating a couple of jasmin buys, as a sort of elective. I was about to pull the trigger on a bottle of A la Nuit. I still might...
    Keep it up!
    A La Nuit is one of the blind buys I don't regret. It's wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Acaciosa is great stuff! Rich, honeyed, indolic and a bit horsey (I thought). It was our great Caron expert Larimar who suggested it to me. It's the one Caron that really caught my attention in a recent testing, but apparently it's going to discontinued soon, so if you like it don't hang around.
    Thanks. This sent me off to find it and, sure enough, I only see it at the decant shops! Will keep searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I thought I was the only wreck taking quad espresso shots! ...
    I know I'm pretty much alone with this, but Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Jasmin is the perfect soliflor for me. Read the notes list and all is clear! Most MPGs get quite a number of bad reviews here, which I honestly do not understand.
    I did mean to include MPG's Jasmine. Must have had a hard time finding a sample. Will try again.

Scentfan thank you for including Drama Nuui and Magnetic Scent number 1 ........I am so looking forward to what you think!
    Thanks for suggesting them!

Quote Originally Posted by mia von trost View Post
    You had sparked my interest already in the MPG-thread.

To your already impressive list, ScentFan, I would like to add Jasmin Kâma by Rania J. I have not sampled it yet but it reportedly is beautiful and centres on Egyptian jasmine.
    I tried to find a sample, but couldn't. If you can point me to one, I'll get it.

Opera playlist includes La Donna E Mobile (that Duke what a cad!) and Tannhäuser - Begluckt Darf Nun Dich (Pilgrims’ Chorus) for this evening sniffing. Scrubbed of the days Jicky and now for Chanel No.5 EdP, going with the modern iteration because to use the vintage would be a tease.
    Looking forward to trying Jicky. I have a sample here somewhere. Love both of your selections. I grew up hearing them sung all over the house. Today I'm starting with Una Furtiva Lagrima. No, too somber. E lucevan le stella.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoyable reading! Thank you, ScentFan. I would like to smell and review, so Pm me if you need me, but, oh, how I hate to have my heart broken by falling in love with fragrances that the IFRA will cause to be axed or gutted. Been there, done that, too many times.
    I can't fathom the IFRA when drugs are advertised daily with death as a possible side effect!

- - - Updated - - -

FLORAL 1 (ADDENDUM)

I thought I posted a review of A La Nuit in Part 1, but I don't see it so:

À La Nuit EdP by Serge Lutens (U Floral -D, Oriental Floral,F) - I’ll take three with mustard, also air, or anything else. What a fragrance! Like I said, I bought this blind and I wasn't disappointed. Moroccan, Indian and Egyptian Jasmine, green shoots, white honey, benzoin, musk, clove. I recognize everything but benzoin. What in the world does that smell like? It’s not in the kit. Okay, wiseGeek says it has a vanilla-like fragrance. So whether chemically or otherwise, this is another fragrance that contains or simulates notes from nature. A La Nuit is milder than heady Imperatrice Eugenie. It’s closer to Sarrasins in its appeal, though the clove, vanilla and honey produce a less fruity, more “I dropped my Jasmine in the pie crust dough” scent. It’s not so blatant that it actually smells like the kitchen. Far from it. Like its name, A La Nuit belongs to the night. Chagrined at Yasmin's rejection of 4 of his first 5 offerings, the sultant swiftly sends the eunuch back with A La Nuit, knowing she'll accept it. He's right.

WOODS 1

Alien by Thierry Mugler (Floral Orient,D; Oriental Woody F) On first sniff, I like it. It's an intense orangey, Jasmine, jazzy thing. I smell so many inviting notes. They say, listen, if you're not busy, let's hop the Orient Express, pop over to Copenhagen for a festival at Tivoli Gardens. This is a scent that doesn't dry down. It dries UP with energy. I guess it's spice and citrus I'm smelling along with the florals? I'm thinking the moodiness is the wood. My once and future makes guitars as a hobby and his workshop smells like this. What's in it? Top: Sambac (not indolic, that figures), caramel (caramel?). Mid: Cashmere (darn, yes, cashmere!), solar notes (what's that?). Base: white amber (no idea). Okay, I don't get it, but who cares? I hear they're unveiling a new robot on mars. Let's go.

Encens Mythique D’Orient by Guerlain (U Oriental Woody,F) Now I get it. Woody perfumes have wood. Actual wood. This one might be a cedar. It's hard to smell anything else. But beneath the wood I detect florals, possibly an orange blossom, maybe a rose, assumedly a little Jasmine. Perhaps the top is bergamot. Let's see.. Aldehyes and saffon, moss and ambergris and rose and neroli (got those two right). Olibanum (what's that?) and some kind of incense. Guerlain says Frankincense. Oh, wow. This scent is way over my olfactory head. Since it has no Jasmine, it doesn't even belong here. I just want to sneeze it back to the Orient. It's not a perfume. It's a spice stall.

[Coffee Beans-water-coffee-water.]

Samsara, EdP & EdT, by Guerlain (Woody Oriental,D; Oriental Wood,F) Nose disabled. Still smell the spice rack. Guess I'm done for the night. Back tomorrow. [Tomorrow, 11/20]. A quick sniff of the EdP and I know I'm going to like this. It's not a powerful fragrance, but a very pleasant one. Right away I get a fruity note, then the woods in much tamer form than the first two. Then the florals. There might be musk, but not much. Samsara is a smooth song that whispers. Looking up her notes. Top: bergamot, lemon, ylang ylang, peach, green. Mid: jasmine, iris, narcissus, violet, rose. Base: sandalwood, vanilla, Tonka bean, amber and musk. For me, a perfume needs a tad more presence, a little umph, to be loved, but Samsara is a darned good Jasmine. I could wear it easily.

Vol de Nuit, vintage parfum, Guerlain (Woody, F) Mmmm, Yasmin says as she puts it to her nose, appreciating another civilized wood. She sniffs and finds the Jasmine but, inexperienced like me, can't make out what else is there. Something agreeable. Looking it up. Top: bergamot, galbanum, petit grain (what does that smell like? -- bitter orange blossoms). Mid: jasmine, daffodil, spice. Base: earthy woods, iris, vanilla, woodsy notes. Back to sniffing. This is a wonderful scent, but something spicy or chemical once again bothers my nose. Obviously, it doesn't bother most noses because this grand "night flying" lady, created in 1933 is one of Guerlain's classics. I'm thinking it might be the petit grain that doesn't agree with me because there's something familiar from other perfumes I've smelled but couldn't tolerate. Yasmin who, like me, prefers natural-smelling things, puts it back on the tray with the other woods. She considers keeping Samsara but decides not to. She already has A La Nuit.

Alien and Encens Mythique D'Orient are powerful woods that almost overwhelm. Except for the latter having rose instead of Jasmine, they belong together. Samsara and Vol de Nuit are svelte sisters. Vol de Nuit is the adventurous one who turns down offers of marriage and Samsara is the one swiftly engaged.

Until next time...
    Last edited by ScentFan; 20th November 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Hi ScentFan,
    It might also be the costus (that the vintage had pleny of) which gives you a bit of a hard time with Vol de Nuit.

Thanks, Larimar. Costus? It's related to ragweed. Maybe that's it. Per a long ago test, I'm allergic to: Mites, Sweet gum, Pigweed rough, Sheep sorrel (dock), Nettle, Wing scale. I imagine nettle might be found in perfumes?

- - - Updated - - -

FLORAL 2

Jasmin EdP by Bruno Acampora The top note is powerfully animalic and we're in the barnyard again. It's so unpleasantly astringent that I immediately want to stop smelling, but I persevere. I think I smell grapefruit, but somehow the combo of that and urine don't appeal. Any Jasmine there is off cowering in the corner with Yasmin and me. Lucky scent says the notes are Jasmine, Cyclamen, Cloves and Ylang Ylang. Yes, I did smell the clove, but it's riding under such a stomach-turning scent I couldn't stay long enough to identify it. I'd bet money it's something other than jasmine, cyclamen, ylang ylang or cloves. This reminds me of the highly animalic perfumes from The Pleasure Factory, none of which I found appealing. It's just not my kind of thing.

Jasmin de Nuit by The Different Company (Floral, D&F) The eunuch takes back the previous Jasmine and offers this. Yasmin and I immediately stop cowering. There's nothing animalic here, no strong musks or woods. In fact, I smell something fruity. Very nice. It doesn't project much, maybe it's what I see BNers calling a skin scent. But, OTOH, it doesn't offend. Maybe it's slightly powdery. Looking it up: Egyptian Jasmine, amber, black currant, star anise, spices, cinnamon, cardomom, sandalwood. A nice combination. I could wear this, but it doesn't demand I drop all else and buy.

[Coffee beans]

Jasmin Full by Montale (Floral, F) Its reputation precedes it. I approach with anticipation. Whoa! Jasmine! It's Clair-Obscur without the aldehydes. It's intoxicating, indolic (what I'm calling indoles don't stink; i.e., flambéd bananas). It's a Jasmine bush right outside the window. Is there anything but Jasmine here? Perhaps a blush of bergamot? This scent is so, so fresh. Maybe there's something green? Looking it up. Jasmine, honeysuckle, orange blossom! Can that be all? Sniffing again. Well, yes. The honeysuckle brightens. The orange freshens. Must compare it to my Jasmine favorites, Imperatrice Eugenie and A La Nuit. They're all lovely. Creed is still my sophisticated favorite. A La Nuit with its musk is about as animalic as I want to get. Jasmin Full is a bright joy. It goes on my buy list.

Jasmine Cologne by Demeter (Floral, F) A pleasantly different Jasmine. The top note is fresh and green. I almost think cabbages. The mid notes are florals and the base is maybe musk or amber. This is the kind of perfume that tempts me to sniff myself unconscious. It's a thoroughly charming, welcoming scent. I just want more and more. I might need to own this as well. Perhaps I'm in trouble? It has a different kind of freshness than Jasmin Full's -- a vegetable garden vs citrus blossoms? Can't wait to see what's in it: both Spanish Jasmine and Grandiflorum? Thought they were the same thing. What else? Nobody's talking. However I promise you, this Jasmine has something very agreeably green. Applause to its creator.

*Joy EdP by Patou (Floral, D&F ) Comes now the Valide Sultan (queen mother) who is quite miffed with Yasmin for rejecting her son and some of his gifts. She's even heard a rumor that Yasmin said the queen mother is too full of herself. Yasmin blushes and bows as the Valide Sultan enters, herself carrying a silver tray with every vintage of Joy by Patou. This is a woman with the power to have Yasmin fed to the alligators. Obediently, Yasmin rises, sniffs the small satchel of coffee beans tied to her waist for just such an occasion, takes a perfume bottle and puts it to her nose. Slowly she smells the exotic concoction: the citrus, the musk, the florals, waiting for them to settle into whatever they intend to be, but they don't. The more she sniffs the more she wants to withdraw her nose. Aware of the queen mother's displeasure, she keeps sniffing. Up there is a citrus, down there a musk, in between are many florals and all sorts of things that refuse to combine in Yasmine's mind. Worse still, something harsh makes her want to sneeze and she does--all over the silver tray. Shocked and enraged, the Valide Sultan shrieks for the guards to come drag Yasmin to the river and make her an alligator's dinner, but luckily the sultan hears, runs to Yasmin's rooms and countermands the order. As Yasmin trembles, he points out to his mom that though she reigns over the household, there is one thing she cannot command. Each of us owns our own nose. The Valide Sultan retires, plotting to poison Yasmin in her sleep...oh, right, those two don't go together any more than Joy's ingredient's...that's smother her in her sleep or poison her food. Poor girl. We'll have to watch out for her.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 22nd November 2013 at 04:21 PM.

How about Organic Glam Jasmine? Most jasmine fragrances produced today (including niche) only contain a small amout of real jasmine, if at all. Organic Glam Jasmine claims that they don't use synthetics. Maybe they are not a member of IFRA. If so (again, I don't know) their Organic Glam Jasmine may contain more jasmine absolute than the 0.7% restriction IFRA set.

There are very few reviews about this fragrance. The few reviews I found said this jasmine fragrance was very good, unlike most of the mediocre all-natural fragrances. The fragrance is expensive though: $240 for 100 ml. No smaller bottles are available. But if you live close to a major metro, the Organic Pharmacy may have a store near you, where you can do a sniff test.

Sure. You're on, Purplebird7. If someone would like to get the samples after you, let me know and I'll post a sequence. Is that how it works?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower77 View Post
    How about Organic Glam Jasmine? Most jasmine fragrances produced today (including niche) only contain a small amout of real jasmine, if at all. Organic Glam Jasmine claims that they don't use synthetics. Maybe they are not a member of IFRA. If so (again, I don't know) their Organic Glam Jasmine may contain more jasmine absolute than the 0.7% restriction IFRA set.

There are very few reviews about this fragrance. The few reviews I found said this jasmine fragrance was very good, unlike most of the mediocre all-natural fragrances. The fragrance is expensive though: $240 for 100 ml. No smaller bottles are available. But if you live close to a major metro, the Organic Pharmacy may have a store near you, where you can do a sniff test.
    There isn't one in my city, so I'll have to pass. Thanks for telling me about it though.

Blog Entries

l'm thrilled that you enjoyed Jasmin Full (my favourite) ScentFan, & thoroughly enjoying the story interwoven with your reviews. Keep 'em coming!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

ORIENTALS

Enlevement au Serial by MDCI (Oriental Floral,F) This one I already love. It's on the way. It means "abduction from the harem" and, in our story, represents Yasmin's fondest hope. Naturally, the sultan will never send her this scent. She must imagine its bergamot top note, the jasmine, the peach? (nope, italian mandarin & vanilla), the rose, the sandalwood. She doesn't know until she looks it up that it also has ylang ylang, wallflowers and Haitian vetyver. Is it the latter that might make her sneeze? In this case, she doesn't care. Though she won't sniff it non-stop like her other Jasmine loves, she's transported by the smell, dreaming of her magic carpet. I am, too. I'm wondering if this has the same ingredient that bothers me in Joy and Chanel No. 5? For this magical scent I'll brave whatever-it-is. Maybe aldehydes.

Jasmin Rouge by Tom Ford: Private Blend (Floral, D; Oriental Floral, F) It has an almost animalic top note that quickly settles into a spicy Jasmine. Looking it up. Top: bergamot, mandarin, cinnamon, ginger cardamom, black and white pepper. Perhaps it's the cardoman I smelled. Middle: Sambac jasmine, broom, neroli, yland-ylang, clary sage. Base: Mexican vanilla, labdanum, leather, wood and amber notes. If you like more spice, wood and leather than florals, give this one a try. There's too much spice for me.

Pepper Jasmine Gaiac Wood by Korres (Oriental Spicy,F) Given my reaction to Jasmin Rouge, I wasn't optimistic, but the pepper doesn't overwhelm the Jasmin here, nor does the wood. The fruit and vanilla help. This is a nice perfume I can sniff much longer than other spicy woody florals. If I wanted to own one, this could be it. Top: spices, anise, citruses, sandalwood and vanilla. Mid: Jasmine, passion fruit, Guaiac wood. Base: pepper, white chocolate, greenery, peach.

Jasmin Eau de Parfum, vintage, by Le Galion. This is discontinued so I'm going to have to guess at its composition. The perfumed court says "it's a beautiful Jasmine with soft fruity overtones and indolic undertones." To my nose, it's similar to Bruno Acompora's Jasmine, except the animalic note is less offensive, so if you miss Galion's Jasmin, try Acompora's. It does drydown to a better smell.

Prune Jasmine [Les Senteurs Gourmandes] by Laurence Dumont (Floral Fruity Gourmand, F) This fruity Jasmine is quite pleasant if you like prunes. Actually, it smells a bit like salt water taffy. It's fresh and agreeable. A little too fruity for me, but I could wear it.

Guess we're about halfway there. Left to go are: Floral 3, Woods2, Floral 4, Chypres.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l'm thrilled that you enjoyed Jasmin Full (my favourite) ScentFan, & thoroughly enjoying the story interwoven with your reviews. Keep 'em coming!
    Good to know, Teardrop. I adore Jasmin Full. It's in my luckyscent basket, helping haul in the remaining samples.

Enlevement is classified variously as floriental or chypre, to me it's more a new-chypre than an oriental (though the brand itself classifies it as oriental). The vetiver-patch? base is a clean version of old chypres, and so is the overall elegant impression. And there's definitely a fruity note, whether one wants to call it peach or whatever.

cacio

FLORAL 3

Le Jasmin Annick Goutal
    (Floral, F) Thought I had a sample, but it's either hiding or hasn't arrived.

Love & Tears by Killian (Floral, F) Hynotic, indolic, intoxicating, but once again something bothers my nose. I've got to figure out what this is! I feels like the same suffocating note that made me want to sneeze before. Looking up ingredients. Perfumine Intelligence says: "A unisex jasmine soliflore fragrance with notes of bergamot, petit grain, cypress, jasmine, orange blossom, ylang ylang and ciste." Okay, I'm assuming it's either petit grain or ciste (cistus?) Will do similar detective work on the others because Yasmin is staring at me with her arms crossed, tapping her toe, asking why I keep trying to suffocate her in this story. Weren't the alligators enough? Hmmm...wait...would that have been crocodiles in Persia/now Iran? Checking ... Iran has both. So another lovely concoction bites the dust for me because of what's beginning to feel like an allergy of some kind.

Narcotic Venus by Nasomatto (Floral, D; Floral, F) Oh no! All of the Narcotic Venus sample apparently emptied itself into my sample box. I'm left to sniff the dregs on the cap...and sniff and sniff. This is narcotic, all right. A lovely scent that makes my eyes close. Yasmin doesn't close her eyes for fear of misinterpretation by the Sultan's eunuch, who's already in trouble for spilling the perfume. Who knows? He might try to ingratiate himself to the sultan with a promising report. It's tuberose, jasmine, lily and spices. It's a tamer version of sexy Narcisso Rodriquez for her. When she realizes it, Yasmin indignantly returns the bottle to the tray.

Nuda by Nasomatto (Floral, F) No spilling, thank goodness. Well, it actually does smell like nude, lightly powdered skin. This is a fragrance for privacy, suitable to the boudoir or a first intimate night. It has projection, but sends out its allure without drama. This would make a great gift to a lover or new bride. Nobody's telling what's in it, though. Luckyscent hints at woods, but if so it's only a faint whiff. Fragrantica says it has animalistic notes. If so, they're not from the barnyard. This is a very well-balance, appealing scent.

Odalisque by Nicolaiï (Floral, D; Floral,F) Wow, I do like this one. It manages to be sultry while also being fresh and green. I smell woods and spice but have no urge to sneeze, thank goodness. This is a very very very nice perfume. It says woman instead of girl. Makes me think of opening night at the opera. What's in it? Top notes are bergamot, tangerine and citruses; middle notes are lily-of-the-valley, jasmine, orris root and oakmoss; base note is musk. It is chypre-ish and I do like chypres. It doesn't outdo or equal Mitsouko EdC though, so I'll hold off buying, but this is a perfume I could easily wear.

More to come ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Enlevement is classified variously as floriental or chypre, to me it's more a new-chypre than an oriental (though the brand itself classifies it as oriental). The vetiver-patch? base is a clean version of old chypres, and so is the overall elegant impression. And there's definitely a fruity note, whether one wants to call it peach or whatever.

cacio
    Thanks, cacio. Makes sense. I've found I really enjoy chypres.

Scentfan, I am sampling a jasmine tonight that I'm finding quite intoxicating and thought I'd pass it along to you as a suggestion. Andy Tauer's Le Maroc Pour Elle. I wasn't expecting it to be so big on the jasmine and I couldn't say how it would compare to the others in your line-up but I can tell you that I keep catching the scent and having to bring my arm to my nose to drink it in more fully again and again. I'm finding it's taking me quite by surprise. I'll warn you that the opening notes are positively horrendous(someone described it as camel sweat!?). However, they evaporate within 5 minutes and the beauty begins to unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Scentfan, I am sampling a jasmine tonight that I'm finding quite intoxicating and thought I'd pass it along to you as a suggestion. Andy Tauer's Le Maroc Pour Elle. I wasn't expecting it to be so big on the jasmine and I couldn't say how it would compare to the others in your line-up but I can tell you that I keep catching the scent and having to bring my arm to my nose to drink it in more fully again and again. I'm finding it's taking me quite by surprise. I'll warn you that the opening notes are positively horrendous(someone described it as camel sweat!?). However, they evaporate within 5 minutes and the beauty begins to unfold.
    Thanks, danieq. Sounds intriguing. I'll put in a request for a sample with my Jasmin Full.

So good to see you got to my beloved Nuda. She really is for private moments, the scent of jasmine kissed slept in skin. Will have to buy a back up of this as it's been dis-bloody-continued. Really enjoying reading Yasmin's reactions

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I tried to find a sample, but couldn't. If you can point me to one, I'll get it.
    It seems to be online-purchase only, except of some European countries.
    Check out Essenza Nobile, they do Rania J. and I can highly recommend their service. Apparently they dispatch samples to the US for 5€ shipping costs. http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/Shipping-Costs.html
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

So good to see you got to my beloved Nuda. She really is for private moments, the scent of jasmine kissed slept in skin. Will have to buy a back up of this as it's been dis-bloody-continued. Really enjoying reading Yasmin's reactions
    Yes. I found both Nuda and Narcotic Venus great, especially Nuda. What an achievement. If you haven't tried Narcisso Rodriquez for her, you might like it. It's Nuda on steroids.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems to be online-purchase only, except of some European countries.
    Check out Essenza Nobile, they do Rania J. and I can highly recommend their service. Apparently they dispatch samples to the US for 5€ shipping costs. http://shop.essenza-nobile.de/Shipping-Costs.html
    Thanks. I had to order all the Rani J samples to get it, but I'm interested in what this designer has done.

- - - Updated - - -

WOODS 2

Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari (Oriental Floral, F; Woods, D) The Eunuch hands Yasmin a small papyrus scroll. She knows it's from the sultan. Yasmin unrolls it and catches her breath. "Beautiful one, I adore you. How I ache to make you mine, yet you spurn me. The eunuch will bring four more trays of rare perfumes. I send these glories for your pleasure. Sniff each one. On the night of the last tray, I bid you bathe in your favorite for I will come to you, my love. This time I will not go away." Yasmin drops the scroll and runs to her balcony, scanning the sky. Where is her true love? Where his magic carpet? Things are getting serious, so I'd better sniff for Yasmin in case her delay upsets the darned sultan. Okay, she's got to smell this. The Eunuch goes out to her and she takes the bottle from his hand and sniffs. "Ah, exquisite creation," she cries to the bottle. "Why enchant me so with your (uh, quick..looking it up)...with your green plants juice, your gardenia, Sambac Jasmine, almonds, precious woods, liquorice (liquorice?) and Tonka accords." A tear forms in her eye as she sniffs this dark beauty. I feel like crying, too. Am I going to have to buy a truckfull of perfumes? (Maybe I should make a perfume budget after all.) This scent is wonderful. Its ingredients blend in bliss

Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed (Floral, D; Floral Woody Musk, F) "It's just no fair!" Yasmin announces when she samples this. I understand her. Years ago I stood in dismay before a Creed counter, knowing nothing about the contents of the shining bottles. Valiantly the staff handed me papers and squirted my arms. No effect. Finally, the senior clerk came and asked if there was a scent I particularly like. "Jasmine," I replied. "Aha!" he said, smiling, and brought me this. Instantly, I was a goner and so is Yasmin, seduced by this brilliant perfume. It has projection, longevity and sillage and what it's projecting is divine. My nose is in ecstasy. Wait, can I still be thinking of Jasmin Noir? I go back for a re-sniff and find it more delicate. Back to Creed and re-sniff. Ah, the empress reigns. One day I'll compare all my personal favorites. I'll be shocked if this Creed doesn't win. Anyone who interferes with its heavenly formulation needs to be jailed. What's in it? I don't care. [Okay: Bergamot, lemon, jasmine, rose, amber, sandalwood, vanilla). Yasmin has no defense. She takes it from the tray.

Jasmin 17, EdP, Le Labo (Floral Woody Musk, F; U Floral D) Just weeks ago I walked into Saks and discovered Le Labo. Whatever I'd gone in to buy, didn't get bought. Instead, I sat at the counter a long time, sniffing and watching them mix my purchases, but I don't remember this. I'm afraid it means I didn't love Jasmine 17. Let's see. It begins with a burst of citrus which hangs around, making me want to go eat oranges. The jasmine's there and some other stuff, but this just makes me hungry. There's nothing wrong with it, nothing sneeze-worthy, but it's not a perfume. It's an appetizer. Yasmin smells it, puts it back and starts to order lunch, but the eunuch reminds here there's one more on the tray.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d’Orange (Woody Floral Musk, F; Dry Woods, D) I encountered this lady on another sniff. Let's see what Yasmin thinks. This perfume reminds Yasmin of her golden water pipe (hookah), her ḡalyān, back home. Smoking is frowned upon here in the sultan's court, but she and her ladies were smoking theirs when the sultan's army invaded her kingdom. Unfortunately, her side lost. How terrifying when his eunuchs entered the harem and ordered the women to remove their veils. How undignified to be hoisted onto someone's stallion (fine though it was) and carried to the sultan as a prize of war. Princesses, even conquered ones, deserved better than that. Yasmin sniffs, thinking of home. I sniff, too, thinking of silk stockings and smoky jazz clubs. Ingredients: Jasmine absolute, tobacco, hay, apricot, tonka bean, turmeric, cedar, amber, musk. It's actually quite nice. I'd wear this to a sporting event.

Until the next tray...

- - - Updated - - -

Donna Karan Jasmine

Finally found Lust by Lush and someone's sending me a Donna Karan sample. Thanks for the suggestions, kalli.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 22nd November 2013 at 05:51 PM.

I do have the Narisco Rodriguez for her in EdP, read your review and went to try it. So this one was completely your fault There is still something about Nuda though, just strikes a chord with me.

FLORALS 4

Olène by Diptyque (U Floral, D; Floral, F) Oh, lovely! It's instantly bewitching, like a fresh breeze up my nostrils. Must get in the habit of searching for the notes instead of simply being seduced or repulsed. Okay, citrus and perhaps green, the indolic Jasmine and at least one other floral honeysuckle? I'm thinking patchouli in the base and amber? Let's see: Perfume Intelligence just says it's a crisp floral fragrance. Fragrantica says: top is narcissus and honeysuckle (score one, take off for the citrus). Mid: wisteria and Jasmine. Base: green notes (score one) and white flowers. Okay, C+. Yasmin almost collapses under the beauty. Forlornly she goes out to her balcony, scanning the sky, not caring that she's left the eunuch waiting. She sees something? Is it possible at long last? She's certain a magic carpet approaches in the sky. Then she realizes he won't come in daylight. Just in case, she runs in and orders the eunuch to leave the tray. She'll send for him when she's finished. As for me, this goes on my buy list.

[Coffee Beans]

Organza Jasmine Recolte Harvest 2005 by Givenchy (Floral, F) I added these out of curiosity. They must be special for Givenchy to have showcased the Jasmine from that year. Musical accompaniment is in order, I think. Ravel's Bolero again. A subtle masterpiece. Appealing. Why doesn't it make me close my eyes? My brain says it should by my heart isn't moved. What's in it? Plum, Peach, Orange Blossom, Violet, Ylang Ylang, Indian Jasmine 2005, Tuberose, Black Currant, Nutmeg, Cedar, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla. Maybe my nose is too new to appreciate it. You'd think something would stand out. Well, maybe it does. Floral smoothness does, understated beauty. I almost said a lovely cloud but to me there's not enough presence to form a cloud. Nice, though. Yasmin ignores it, impatiently scanning the skies, her anticipation rising like the Bolero.

[Coffee Beans]

Organza Jasmine Recolte Harvest 2007 by Givenchy (Floral, F) This cloud has something more. Orange, I think, makes itself known, along with florals like before. This time I smell the wood. What's in it? Why do the indvidual notes once again seem to vanish? Notes include: honeysuckle, rosewood, gardenia and iris, jasmine, and ylang-ylang. Yawn. I mean I think I mistook the honeysuckle for orange. Oh well. Perhaps these were limited editions because nobody wanted to buy them? I call Yasmin, but once again she doesn't come.

[Coffee Beans]

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens (Floral, F) Drum roll. I've been waiting for her. Wow, what an animalic top note, you naughty, racy thing. Let me spray you on a paper. All right, for anyone into the barnyard this is the one. It's not just any old barnyard It's situated between verdant flower fields and the palace. There's a magic forest near. Lords take their ladies there to gambol secretly about. It has enough projection to be the signal, ala when you smell this, meet me in the meadow. I take off my hat in tribute, but I'm not sure I'll buy. I like my barnyards carpeted and these woods (or is that spice) are awfully bright. Eventually, there could be some sneezing going on. What's in it? Total contradictions on the internet. I pick the description in Bois de Jasmine: "Initial burst of citrus and wintergreen notes to the dry, leathery base....The effect of warm leather saddles and animal breath is given mainly by castoreum, a material derived from the scent glands of male beavers." Add florals and you've got Sarrasins, but it doesn't slide up my nose. Can't sniff any more or I really will sneeze.

{Coffee beans-water]

Jasmine by Malak Perfumes (Floral, Green?) So fresh, so green, I sniff until I'm near hyperventilation. It reminds me of Demeter's Jasmine except, if I'm recalling correctly, this is more lush, more pretty. What a nice Jasmine. Nothing sneezeworthy. I smells altogether natural, whether it actually is or not. A potential buy.

[Coffee beans]

Magnetic Scent Untitled #1 (Floral) Yasmin servant runs in to warn of the eunuch's approach. However, Yasmin notices the servant won't meet her gaze. She has a guilty secret. Yasmin demands to know it, orders her to spill the beans. Blushing in anguish, the girl confesses Alladin has been seen on his magic carpet, all right, giving local girls a ride. Can this be true? Yasmin faints. The eunuch enters with a new golden tray, holding only this untitled scent. The sultan hastened his perfumers to create it just now. Has he heard the rumor about Alladin too? To revive Yasmin, the eunuch puts the new perfume to her nose. Her eyes open. She speaks. "Do I smell chocolate?" Slowly he raises the botlle and her nose greedily follows it. "What's in it? Tell me!" she demands. He answers, "Jasmine Sambac, absinth oil, ginger lily CO2 extract, cocoa absolut." Jasmine grabs the bottle, spills some on her hand and plasters the hand to her nose, talking, "Leave the bottle, send him my compliments, but tell him this doesn't change anything." Maybe not, but it goes on my buy list.

Next installment...the final tray.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have the Narisco Rodriguez for her in EdP, read your review and went to try it. So this one was completely your fault There is still something about Nuda though, just strikes a chord with me.
    Oops! Hope you like it then. Yes, Nuda is haunting. To me, Narciso doesn't haunt, it obsesses.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 23rd November 2013 at 10:28 PM.

FLORALS 4

Oops! Hope you like it then. Yes, Nuda is haunting. To me, Narciso doesn't haunt, it obsesses.
    NR is wonderful! I never regret a fragrance buy. I just enjoy or give to someone who will. I need to wear NR more often I'm in a Chanel rut at the moment.

Is Rodin Olio Lusso on your list to try? I haven’t yet sniffed the perfume version but I do use the body oil and the scent is divine.

NR is wonderful! I never regret a fragrance buy. I just enjoy or give to someone who will. I need to wear NR more often I'm in a Chanel rut at the moment.

Is Rodin Olio Lusso on your list to try? I haven’t yet sniffed the perfume version but I do use the body oil and the scent is divine.
    Stick around baby......we'll sort that out!

Hope you and everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

Stick around baby......we'll sort that out!

Hope you and everyone is having a wonderful weekend!
    Hehe Sea Roses nursing my head at the moment from a very good Saturday night. ScentFan forgot to mention the entire Rodin Olio line is available at Luckyscent

Never even heard of it! Thanks. So grateful that Basenotes exists. How else quickly and easily learn about the good stuff? Two months ago, I didn't really know the big names in perfume, much less any of the good niche houses. Now Guerlain, Tauer, Serge Lutens, etc., roll off my tongue. Most exciting is to identify and try so many good Jasmine perfumes all at once. S.O. says he loves to watch my expressions as I sniff new ones! Can't wait to complete the sniffing and compile a final buy list for my new Jasmine wardrobe. It's thrilling to have discovered perfumes of such beauty. Rodin Olio Lusso, you say? ...

Blog Entries

Great jasmine research!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan;2999121[B
    Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed[/B] (Floral, D; Floral Woody Musk, F) "It's just no fair!" Yasmin announces when she samples this. I understand her. Years ago I stood in dismay before a Creed counter, knowing nothing about the contents of the shining bottles. Valiantly the staff handed me papers and squirted my arms. No effect. Finally, the senior clerk came and asked if there was a scent I particularly like. "Jasmine," I replied. "Aha!" he said, smiling, and brought me this. Instantly, I was a goner and so is Yasmin, seduced by this brilliant perfume. It has projection, longevity and sillage and what it's projecting is divine. My nose is in ecstasy. Wait, can I still be thinking of Jasmin Noir? I go back for a re-sniff and find it more delicate. Back to Creed and re-sniff. Ah, the empress reigns. One day I'll compare all my personal favorites. I'll be shocked if this Creed doesn't win. Anyone who interferes with its heavenly formulation needs to be jailed. What's in it? I don't care. [Okay: Bergamot, lemon, jasmine, rose, amber, sandalwood, vanilla). Yasmin has no defense. She takes it from the tray.
    This is a favorite of mine, too. SOOOO beautifully old-school. A lot of the guys here rave about the old Tabarôme as one of Creed's finest old-schoolers, but I think this one has even more gravitas!

queen of the universe

I'm a huge Sarrasins fan, and am intrigued by the different experiences different noses have with this. For me, it is in no way sneeze inducing, and I wouldn't call any of its notes bright. I get more vegetal than animal stink from it, stemmy greenness and fruity osmanthus. In a word, velvety.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Thank you for the reviews. Now I got to try Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie. I bypassed Creed these days because I think their man's fragrance offerings are a lot stronger than woman's.

Great reviews! Fabulous reading.
    So many great jasmine scents. Your descriptions are vivid. Your comments are honest and fair.
    Even if you don't like something, you've described it so aptly that someone else might be enchanted by it and try it.
    Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie has long been on my must-buy list, but I'm afraid because I don't know if it has been changed by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Great jasmine research!!!

Thanks!

This is a favorite of mine, too. SOOOO beautifully old-school. A lot of the guys here rave about the old Tabarôme as one of Creed's finest old-schoolers, but I think this one has even more gravitas!
    Another one I haven't heard of! Will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    I'm a huge Sarrasins fan, and am intrigued by the different experiences different noses have with this. For me, it is in no way sneeze inducing, and I wouldn't call any of its notes bright. I get more vegetal than animal stink from it, stemmy greenness and fruity osmanthus. In a word, velvety.
    Don't be the least distressed. You're right. So am I. That's the thing about perfumes. I see no substitute for trying it for oneself. Look at the folks who love broccoli and hate broccoli, etc. Our noses are as personal as our taste buds. In my case, there's definitely an ingredient in several popular perfumes that makes me want to sneeze. I must be allergic or super sensitive to whatever it is. Certainly not everyone's going to have that sensitivity, otherwise the perfume couldn't have succeeded so well. For me, Basenotes recommendations mean this may be a scent worth investigating. No way to tell if I'll love or hate it until I smell for myself. I just know it's worth the effort and time to sample and form an opinion. For me, that's plenty enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower77 View Post
    Thank you for the reviews. Now I got to try Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie. I bypassed Creed these days because I think their man's fragrance offerings are a lot stronger than woman's.
    IMO, it's definitely worth at least a sniff. No opinion on the line as a whole, yet, because Jasmin Imperatrice is the only Creed I know, except for Jasmal that I just tried.

Great reviews! Fabulous reading.
    So many great jasmine scents. Your descriptions are vivid. Your comments are honest and fair.
    Even if you don't like something, you've described it so aptly that someone else might be enchanted by it and try it.
    Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie has long been on my must-buy list, but I'm afraid because I don't know if it has been changed by now.
    Thanks. i just bought a backup Jasmin which turns out to be fairly new. It smells just as terrific as my bottle that's years old. Wait, let me do a quick sniff comparison. Well, I don't know how they managed with all the new regulations, but their top and mid notes smell very close. The new one may even smell a tad better than the old. On the drydown, the old is stronger, more indolic, more longevity. The new is still quite nice, though I don't want to keep my nose in my arm as long. This makes me want to hunt down a pre-2009 bottle. However, if I smelled the new without knowing about the old, I'd certainly buy it.

queen of the universe

Exactly, ScentFan! Agree, too w/purplebird; you are an adept reporter of your experience that leaves room for the readers judgment.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

Glad to see you l liked Olene I was wondering what you'd think about it. A full properly indolic jasmine, in my opinion. Although it doesn't pull at my heartstrings like A La Nuit does.

Now I want to sample the Montale. Sounds lovely.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

CHYPRES

Some of these are already in my Learning Chypres thread, but I'll re-sniff here because my nose is hopefully a bit more experienced now.

Bottega Venetta, EdP, Bottega Veneta (Chypre Floral,F) The eunuch arrives with what was to be the final tray, but tells Jasmine to relax. The sultan is awaiting a few stragglers for her to try. Nice fragrance. I think I smell bergamot, wood, that tangy resin note that I think is labdanum? Not sure. I don't smell oakmoss, or at least not much. Maybe the wood is patchouli. The Jasmine's there. Nice, but it doesn't floor me. The house calls it a leathery floral chypre. It has: "bermagot, Brazilian pink pepper, Indian Sambac jasmine, oak moss, patchouli and Indian patchouli, with a distinct leather accord." The pepper bothers my nose a bit, but this is an otherwise pleasant fragrance that to me misses being distinctive because the ingredients seem to cancel each other out. Maybe it needs more than one floral to stand up to the earthy, woody, leather notes and the spice. I'm guessing some men might like it as well as women who don't prefer overly floral pretty perfumes. For me, I almost think the grandiflorum would have been better here because it would lend some lushness. Yasmin's still sniffing Magnetic Scent Untitled #1.

[Coffee beans. Yasmin managed to get one up her nose. Mental note: best not to cry while sniffing, (or sniff hard close to the beans).]

Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme (Dry Woods,D; Chypre Floral, F) I can see why someone would wear this. It's a truly classy scent. I'm thinking black and white floor tiles, elevators in art deco buildings. It's not baldly sexy or alluring, doesn't draw you in, so much as announce its wearer's presence. Madam has arrived, look sharp. This would be a young madam, someone self-assured and rich. Not Marlene Dietrich, but Betty Davis. Yet this is a relatively new fragrance. Modeled on classic ideas? Per Fragrantica; "Top notes are mandarin orange, saffron and bergamot; middle notes are patchouli, hawthorn, jasmine and ylang-ylang; base notes are orris root, birch and styrax." It dries down very pleasantly but, again, for me, the florals are nearly overwhelmed by the rest. Ah, now I remember that cuir in the name means leather. So this perfume is exactly what it intends to be. Yasmin has reapplied Magnetic Scent Untitled #1, feeling a bit curious about why the sultan isn't wooing her with this tray's perfumes.

Éclat de Jasmin by Armani Privé (Floral, D; Chypre Floral, F) Mmm, the one I like best so far in this group. Looking up its ingredients: "bergamot, plum, lemon, jasmine, osmanthus, Bulgarian rose, patchouli, amber, vetiver." I like six of them very much in perfumes. Need to get reality on osthmanthus (a floral described as apricot, black tea and leather here: http://www.nstperfume.com/2012/03/20...of-the-bottle/), and sniff vetiver again (ah, right, grassy green). Back to sniffing. This is actually an interesing fragrance, a cross between a floral and an earthy wood. The citrus top notes brighten it. The florals lend beauty (I'm thinking the osmanthus tones down the rose and jasmine), and the rest ground it. I admire it, but don't think I'd wear it. Whatever it is that makes my eyes close isn't here. But it's very nice. I stopped at the Armani counter at Neiman's and smelled this entire collection. The one that stood out for me was Pierre de Lune, which I think is more floral. Wish I had a sample. Oh, I do. It's just hiding somewhere. Yasmin sniffs Éclat and puts it back.

Jasmine White Moss EdP by Estée Lauder Private Collection (Mossy Woods, D) Oh, nice. No eye closing, but I like this. It's a fragrance I'd expect to -- and perhaps did -- smell at an elegant ladies club, everyone chatting with this month's guest speaker. I smell Jasmine and moss, like it says in the name. There's also citrus and perhaps patchouli or sandalwood, maybe amber? Something green? Let's see: The house says it's a green floral chypre, white flowers surrounded by moss and fifteen 100% pure natural fragrance Absolutes. In short, no telling what's in here, but after a while there's that something that doesn't agree with me, either pepper or ...I just don't know. Interesting that Estée began its creation in the 80's and granddaughter completed it. This perfume has appeal that I hope to learn how to classify. Giving it a stab: it's for the kind of women found on the boards of charities (actually, such women might wear many of these Jasmines). Yasmin continues sniffing Magnetic Scent Untitled #1. S.O., seeing my rapture when I tried it has already ordered a bottle and reports that it costs less to get it overseas than here: http://www.magnetic-scent.com/product/untitled-1/. Guess I'm dropping blatant hints. Wouldn't want this heavenly creation to (gasp, faint) vanish for want of customers. Perhaps I should buy another bottle, just in case. Yasmin's trying to decide how to ask the sultan to have his perfumers mix more, without making him think she's interested.

Lady Caron EdP by Caron (Mossy Woods, D; Chypre Floral F) Elegant name from a sophisticated house. Making sure she stores it carefully so nothing can possibly happen to it, Yasmin puts away the aforementioned MSU#1, closes her eyes on this one and starts going, "Mmm, mmm," as she sniffs. It has the distinctive features of chypre without giving up the lushness of indolic florals. Who'd wear this? The Valide Sultan, no doubt, or another queen, a diva on opening night. Yasmin can't explain why she likes it. Looking up its notes: "Top notes are magnolia, jasmine and neroli; middle notes are tuberose, raspberry, peach and rose; base notes are sandalwood and oakmoss." No wonder. It's the florals, and sandalwood, the fruit. Now when I re-sniff I smell the magnolia and neroli. Not familiar with tuberose yet so I can't pick it out. Guess I'd better get some in. The kit doesn't have it. I saw it described as dramatic, so maybe the lushest note is tuberose. This perfume is very appealing, but it doesn't seduce -- beneath its dignity. Yasmin, only 20, thinks she's too young for this. I agree.

Sous le Vent Guerlain (Mossy Woods,D; Chypre Floral, F) I've also reviewed this somewhere, but since Yasmin hasn't tried it, here we go. Oh, yes, wind (how do they do that?), the green outdoors. This a fresh, mossy scent for an active woman, one on the way to climb a moutain, or..wait, can that be right? Guerlain formulated this for Josephine Baker, the hottest thing in Paris at the time. She was seen as an exotic, but she also was a very independent, enterprising, stand-on-your-own-two feet sort, who helped the French resistance during WWII. Guerlain must have known her well. No fainting violet her. She's just the type of woman this perfume seems designed for. Ingredients: "lavender, tarragon and bergamot; middle notes are green notes, jasmine and carnation; base notes are iris and woodsy notes." The drydown does remind me a bit of the Caribbean (the French call the Leeward Islands Sous le Vent). Josephine Baker wasn't from there, but that's how they pictured her, probably because of her famous banana dance. Yasmin, who's never been allowed to stand on her own two feet and whose heart yearns only for love, says she's not ready for this quite yet. Putting it to my nose once more, this is a work of art -- not for lover-of-things-ultra-beautiful me, but this is great.

Yasmin's servant having confirmed Alladin's frolicks, questioned the eunuch at Yasmin's bidding. Does the sultan know? Yes, she's learned. Suddenly on a gust of wind, the sound of flapping. Thankfully, it is late and the eunuch has gone. Yasmin turns to see Aladdin's carpet land on her balcony. Off he steps, looking handsome and innocent as the dawn. "Yasmin," he calls, and rushes to embrace her. No softie she, though her heart breaks, Yasmin is impassive as he approaches. She stares at the carpet and seeing a long, brown hair (her hair is black and Aladdin's is short) sidesteps his arms and bends to pick it up. She places it in his hand and retires, as he wretchedly calls her name.

Until the truly final tray ...

CHYPRES

Yasmin continues sniffing Magnetic Scent Untitled #1. S.O., seeing my rapture when I tried it has already ordered a bottle and reports that it costs less to get it overseas than here: http://www.magnetic-scent.com/product/untitled-1/. Guess I'm dropping blatant hints. Wouldn't want this heavenly creation to (gasp, faint) vanish for want of customers. Perhaps I should buy another bottle, just in case. Yasmin's trying to decide how to ask the sultan to have his perfumers mix more, without making him think she's interested.
    Very concerning that such a thing might get discontinued like my beloved Nuda so I have ordered a bottle. Another Christmas present for me from me. I love Christmas.

Very concerning that such a thing might get discontinued like my beloved Nuda so I have ordered a bottle. Another Christmas present for me from me. I love Christmas.
    LOL! Me, too. I'm having perfume Christmas all over the place. I cracked up at your "dis-bloody-continued." That was Nuda? OMG, you're right. It says so on Luckyscent. Went to buy. It's très expensive $/ml. I'm doing a final Jasmine Sniff-Off of my loves and likes. If it makes the finals, I'll just have to belly up.

Nuda is in extrait concentration and lasts a good while. A couple of sprays for bed last night I'm still getting some wafts of that wonderful jasmine this morning. Belly up! It's worth it, I'm in back up mode now.

Blog Entries

Hello, ScentFan and the other BN contributors - I am a little late to the table but would like to add one of my favorites. And it is a Jasmine scent. In a neighbor website discussion group, I was so enchanted that I wrote a blog article about it and that had replies of members equally convinced. The discussion group has a German site, and one of the girls was testing samples, and could not stop sniffing, and as she is engaged and now prepares her wedding with the perfect dress she is so happy that she thinks she found the perfect scent. I encouraged her to save for the full and expensive bottle.

So this was the introduction of the scent which may be flying under the radar system. It was a vintage scent and is now reformulated and re-issued and that is what we are sniffing and experiencing. Without further ado, let me bring in

ISABEY - La Route d'Emeraude

One of the most gorgeous jasmine scents I have ever smelled. Jasmine is a difficult note to deal with and often the indolic nature spoils the effect, but here that note is masterfully dealt with.

LuckyScent (the scoop) describes it better than I.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...2Emeraude.html
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Yes that whole Isabey line went under my radar. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks, Urusula. I have it right here. Someone mentioned it on BN (may have been you) and I acquired a sample. Can't wait for the rest to arrive so I can resume the sniff-fest.

Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile (Decant shop sample)
    Donna Karen Jasmine (from july54)
    Drama Nuui -put (Luckyscent sample)
    *La Route d'Emeraude by Isabey
    Le Maroc Pour Elle by Tauer - (Lucky scent sample)
    Lust by Lush - ordered from Lush
    Psychotrope by PG - (Lucky scent sample)
    Rodin Olio Lusso - (Lucky scent sample)
    Jasmin Kama by Rani J - ordered from Essenza Nobile

I can't wait to see what you think of Psychotrope, that one has piqued my interest thanks to the wonderful sea roses. Might be another couple of Christmas present heading my way out of this batch. Btw Rodin Olio Lusso body oil and face oil is fab (skincare junkie too).

Hearing that Yasmin is disconsolate, the sultan urges his perfumers to hasten their work, yet they only manage to produce three additional flasks. The sultan tells the eunuch not to wait. Take them to Yasmin The eunuch enters her rooms with his golden tray.

"Honored Princess--" he begins.
    She interrupts. "You mean Captive Princess, a mere slave, like you."
    "Perhaps, but no one sends me rare perfumes to sample."
    Regretting her sharp tongue, Yasmin rises to sniff the first flask.

Le Maroc Pour Elle by Tauer (Oriental Floral, F; Floral, D) Mmm, so, so pleasant. Not obvious. Nothing shouts. Something citrusy at the start. There's Jasmine and wood. Perhaps a tad of spice. A civilized oriental, but not an unforgettable one. Yasmin returns it to the tray while I look up the notes. Top: Moroccan petit-grain, red mandarin, French Lavendar. Mid: Moroccan rose absolute, Moroccan jasmine absolute. Base: Moroccan Cedar, Patchouli, Sandalwood. It's one of those perfumes I can find nothing wrong with, but nothing spectacularly right.

Drama Nuui by Parfumerie Générale (Floral, D; Aromatic Spicy, F) Yasmin's eyes close as she sniffs. She hears someone play the stringed instrument called a Persian Tar and thinks of Alladin, whom she has refused to see. Yasmin is a purist in love and, as she's discovering, a purist in perfumes. The more it smells like blooming Jasmine, the better. Yes, this one has citrus. She thinks she smells a bit of rose. There's wood and perhaps amber. All support the narcotic flower as if to make it somehow more itself. She takes the flask, her broken heart consoled by ... looking it up ... Petit-grain, absinthe, jasmine, spices, gaiac wood, sandalwood, musk, all in perfect balance. I add Drama Nuui to my possible buy list.

La Route d'Emeraude by Isabey (Oriental Floral, F) The sultan enters as Yasmin sniffs this bigger floral, holding back tears. Guessing at her sorrow, he sends the eunuch to tell the court musicians to stop playing. He points out that even if her kingdom had not been conquered, her parents would have arranged her marriage and it could easily have been with him, but certainly not with that rascal, Aladdin. Yasmin nods that this is true and asks what's in this last, beautiful scent of the day. He replies: Bergamot, Rose Cinnamon, sambac Jasmine, Maroc Jasmine Absolute, Orange Flower, Tuberose, Amber, Benzoin, Vanilla, Musk. "Then it's an Oriental," she says. "Yes," he replies, "a citrus, green, or fruity top note, amber, vanilla and musk added to the florals make it so (according to the Fragrance Wheel)."

"I am hypnotized," she says. "So am I," he replies and holds out a rope of pearls. As for me, this goes on my possible buy list.

Yasmin sniffs them all again. "Three such different scents you send, the first a warm, dry Moroccan; the second blooming jasmine and the third a flower garden." He replies, "Tthree similarly different things am I, a conqueror, a sultan, and a man in love."
    Last edited by ScentFan; 30th November 2013 at 07:51 PM.

Blog Entries

ScentFan - you write so nice ... it is a pleasure to read.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Gelsomino by Galimard (Floral) Her balcony now guarded by high plants to prevent the landing of magic carpets, Yasmin is surprised to hear a male voice, "Try this, my love," followed by the sound of something dropping. She goes out, sees a heavily wrapped package, opens it and--without looking up--sniffs. "It's a simple oriental, I believe," she says. She has learned well from the sultan. "I smell a citrus opening, vanilla and musk in the base, perhaps some amber or other resin. However, the Jasmin is overwhelmed by the Tuberose. It is not a fine perfume." From above she hears, "What? It was one of Princess Grace's favorites!" Yasmin humphs. "Then I suggest you fly to Monaco." She hears a sigh, then, "It was my sister's hair!" Knowing the trickery of men, Yasmin goes inside. For me, this perfume is just a tad too sweet, but I really admire its lack of fuss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    ScentFan - you write so nice ... it is a pleasure to read.
    Thanks! I do always find myself telling stories.

- - - Updated - - -

Ma Faute by Galimard. The next day, two more packages drop on Yasmin's balcony. She sniffs the first and nods. "Well, this is more like it, anyway, " she says without looking up."It's light, like a cologne, but the notes are exactly those I enjoy: bergamot, jasmine, rose, lily and patchouli, amber, musk and vanilla. I'll use it during my bath."

Yavana by Galimard. "I don't know precisely why I like this, but I do," Yasmin says. "I recognize the base: musk, amber and vanilla, but not the florals though they're nice. I think there's bergamot but something else as well. It's also light, but sophisticated." Looking it up: bergamot, lemon, carnation, lily, spice, moss, amber, vanilla. "Where did you get these?" she calls. "Grasse," comes the reply. "You flew to France and didn't bring me a Caron?!" Yasmin humphs and goes inside, not wavering for a seducer by magic carpet.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 4th December 2013 at 05:09 AM. Reason: add missing notes

Blog Entries

ScentFan, l like Yasmin more & more each day.