Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Jasmine Sniff-Fest, Part 2

Yeah, gosh, it will be tragic when she is finally released -- unless she goes on to open a fragrance shop! Then we can continue reading as she travels the world, sampling the wares of various vendors. Please?...

Yasmin has learned so much from the sultan's perfume courting. First of all, there are so very many makers of perfume! Will she ever sort them out? She's learned cost may not equate to quality. A very expensive perfume can as easily be BAD STUFF (as a friend of the sultan likes to say), or sublime. A cheap perfume may be glorious, like the Demeter Jasmine she loves. It is morning in the Jasmine Courtyard. The wind whispers, the jasmine bushes sway, yet Yasmin can not remove her shift and swim unclothed, for fear of being spied on from a certain person's magic carpet. Sure enough, she hears a "Pssst," and sees Aladdin hovering over a palm tree, looking depressed. "I am innocent. I can't live without you, Yasmin!" he cries. Before she can answer, she hears a bellowing from her rooms and out bursts the sultan, scimitar in hand. "Begone you rascal! How dare you court my bride?" He claps his hands. Before anyone can speak, servants enter the courtyard, carrying a bejeweled gown. "No later than tomorrow" (probably), "I will make you mine. I cannot live without you, either!" The eunuch steps forward with two new vials. As Aladdin and the sultan declare their undying love, Yasmin takes the tray, runs inside and hides in the closet where's she's stashed her perfumes.

Lust by Lush. "Resistance is futile," the website says of this concoction of Jasminum grandiflorum absolute, Ylang Ylang Oil (Cananga odorata), Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena) , Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia) , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill) , *Benzyl Alcohol , *Benzyl Salicylate , *Citral , *Eugenol , *Geraniol , *Benzyl Benzoate , *Citronellol , *Farnesol , *Limonene , *Linalool .

An intoxicating fragrance, but it does seem familiar. Yasmin pulls out her other jasmines to compare. Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie beats it by a desert mile. So does Demeter Jasmine, A La Nuit, and Jasmin Full. If she'd never smelled those, she'd be impressed. Has the sultan already sent his best? Has he already won her heart? Thinking of him, she opens the second bottle.

Psychotrope by Parfumerie Generale. To her, this is nicer than the first. Beneath the Jasmine she smells musk and leather and it makes her wish for her beautiful Arabian so she can hop on and ride away. Where would she go? She doesn't know. The door flies open. It's the Eunuch. "Where is my horse?" she asks. "Do you know?" He says nothing. The sultan appears. "Naturally you are hesitant, my darling, but I have been patient too long." A servant hands him the gown. "Put this on, my Yasmin. I will not leave this room without you on my arm. I have summoned the people. They await their new sultana. Oh, by the way, how did you like the perfume" She sighs. "I like the drydown. It doesn't have much of a top note, the middle is interesting, but the base is divine. Reminds me of—" She looks at the eunuch. "riding my horse across desert dunes." She sniffs again and, apologetically, sneezes. The sultan inquires if she's all right then leaves so she can dress. Long, lingering moments later Yasmin appears in her gown, a gossamer veil, embroidered and hung with diamonds, covering all but her dark eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    ScentFan, l like Yasmin more & more each day.
    Thanks. She's sure taking over the scent reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Yeah, gosh, it will be tragic when she is finally released -- unless she goes on to open a fragrance shop! Then we can continue reading as she travels the world, sampling the wares of various vendors. Please?...
    LOL. Nice idea. Ya never know.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 8th December 2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Show new material first

Blog Entries

Such nice story telling ... you should be the one who fills 1001 nights with tales.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Jasmine Sniff-Fest (conclusion)

Ravel's Bolero plays again as I close out the Jasmine thread. To this sultry music, Yasmin wakes. It is a brilliant morning. Normally, the rising sun would beckon her out to her courtyard. Instead, she’s transfixed by another sight that makes her heart write a poem:

Each morning I wake and turn to you,
    my tray of sparkling flacons --
    fluted as reeds, spired like temples,
    domed with gold, pearls of glass in your fragile bodies--
    each enclosing a shimmering essence
    to give fragrance to my skin.

Your makers are not of my time
    but when they are born
    ah, the stories.
    Each day I wake, in love again,
    with my golden tray of morning glories.

Yasmin is still in the harem because the sultan gave her one night's reprieve. Her servant enters, helps her dress in a light gown, then leads her to the eunuch, who waits in her quarters with the final tray. She sits. He brings the tray to her chair.

Donna Karan Essence Jasmine. (Floral). “Mmm," she says, closing her eyes. “It’s perhaps the lightest and purest of all. Nothing else there, save a simple base for the flower.”

Rana J. Jasmine Kāma (Floral). “I smell the woods at once, the patchouli, and I agree with ScentFan’s conclusion posted elsewhere. This is a beauty, but the spiciness doesn’t move beyond itself and raise the scent to another level.” She frowns. “And I detect something animalic that I do not like.” She returns it to the tray and takes another bottle.

Acqua di Parma Gelsomino Nobile. “It’s nice and light, like the DK, but nothing to write home about and, oh, dear eunuch, how I wish I could. But my home is no more because of the conquest."

As she looks beyond the pillars and their billowing drapes, the eunuch says, “The Sultan asks that you rank your favorites then pick the best to wear to your nuptials.”
    Yasmin gasps and turns to him. “But isn’t there one more coming?”
    “Yes, Rodin’s Olio Russo, but it’s taking too long and he’s tired of waiting.”
    She tries to change the subject. “Such odd names the sultan’s perfumers give their perfumes!”
    The eunuch clears his throat. “Princess, please pick your favorite. It is the sultan’s command.”
    She whispers, “Did you manage to find my horse?”
    The eunuch says nothing.
    Sulking, Yasmin rises and returns to her bedroom. Lying down, she sprays each scent on her body: left upper arm, Serge Lutens A La Nuit, lower arm, Creed’s Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie, back of hand, Montal’e Jasmin Full, wrist, Demeter’s Jasmine, right upper arm, Diptyque’s Olene, lower arm, Odalisque by Nicolai, wrist, La Route d’Emeraude, hand Magnetic Scent Untitled # 1 and, uh, right knee Enlevement au Serail by MDCI. She sniffs each top note, as applied, then strolls out to the courtyard for the dry down. A shadow falls upon her and she looks up. Overheads soars the mythical Huma, or bird of paradise, a griffin-like bird whose name means spirit. Having both male and female aspects, but only one wing and one leg, its shadow foretells kingship for the one it falls upon. How could that be? She will never marry simply to become a sultana.

Suddenly the eunuch is there, along with the Valide Sultan's attendants. Apparently, the sultan’s mother has decided her son must have the one he wants. Yasmin can no longer delay. Inside she dons her bejeweled gown with the gossamer veil, hung with diamonds. Her dark eyes beseech the eunuch. Where is my horse?
    He shows no sign. He and the women surround her and lead her out. For the first time since her arrival, Yasmin is outside of the harem. As the sultan promised, all the people are there, cheering for the one who will become their sultana. They reach the grand concourse and suddenly a shadow falls upon them from overheard. This time it’s Aladdin on his carpet. He has a woman with him. She looks just like him. He flies low and shouts, “See, I told you. It was my sister’s hair!” The brown-haired woman who looks like him waves. Suddenly all is silent. There, at the end of the concourse stands the sultan, holding the reigns of a horse. It’s Yasmin’s Arabian! She leaves her attendants and runs to her horse who neighs with happiness when he sees her. In joy, Yasmin hugs the horse’s neck, then mounts and tears off her diamond veil.
    “You are free, my love,” the sultan calls. “Fly from me, if your heart demands it. Fly.”
    “No, Yasmin, come with me,” Aladdin cries.
    She shakes her head at them both, starts to ride away, and then hesitates. “I have one request of you, my sultan. Before I leave, may I meet the perfumers who touched my heart with their scents?”
    The sultan leaves and quickly returns with a tray containing the perfume she chose as her favorite, Montale’s Jasmin Full.
    “But how did you know?” she asks, "I told no one.”
    "I am your perfumer, Yasmin," he says. "I could tell by your reactions which you would choose.”
    Aladdin groans.
    Yasmin dismounts and files into her sultan’s arms.

The End
    Last edited by ScentFan; 20th December 2013 at 05:51 AM.

Blog Entries

*Applause*

Brilliant ending ScentFan, & l'm so chuffed that you chose my favourite! Thanks for a wonderful story, l have so enjoyed reading it.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Faves Long Longevity Report

9 hours after applying then, Yasmin finds that the A La Nuit, Montale Full, and Demeter have vanished. The Creed and La Route de Emeraude are just barely detectable. Olene, Odalisque, Magnetic Scent Untitled #1 and Enlevement au Serail are, considering the long hours, rocking it.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    *Applause*

Brilliant ending ScentFan, & l'm so chuffed that you chose my favourite! Thanks for a wonderful story, l have so enjoyed reading it.
    Glad you enjoyed it, teardrop. The nose knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Such nice story telling ... you should be the one who fills 1001 nights with tales.
    Belated thanks, Ursula!

queen of the universe

Bravissima, ScentFan! This is your A Thousand and One Nights, on its way to becoming A Thousand and One Scents. What is next? Tuberose, perchance? Or a dive into the animalics? I'm staying tuned....
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Bravissima, ScentFan! This is your A Thousand and One Nights, on its way to becoming A Thousand and One Scents. What is next? Tuberose, perchance? Or a dive into the animalics? I'm staying tuned....
    Oh, I didn't see that! 1001 scents. Yes, I think you're right. You wouldn't believe my desk -- or perhaps you would. All of Lust waiting for sniffing, Tom Fords, some Serge Lutens, more Jovoys, chypres galore, and incense fragrances. I don't want to eat. I don't want to sleep. Just sniff and write about perfume. Moments ago another poem began shaping in anticipation of the arrival of my last Slumberhouse:

Late one night a coach approached
    dark visitors emerged
    and entered my abode ...

um, and whatever else comes to mind when Norne finally arrives. Thank goodness once and future comes next week to return me to the world. Meanwhile, I give in to my nose and dream.

queen of the universe

Don't forget the Weils!

Your poem is mos' def in the Norne mood. I had just worn some from a sample.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Don't forget the Weils!

Your poem is mos' def in the Norne mood. I had just worn some from a sample.
    Yes, the Weils! Thanks for reminding me.

Long past the ending of the Jamine Sniff Fest, the final contender arrives. Yasmin and Walad are on their honeymoon, so I will sniff in their stead.

Rodin by Olio Lusso. I can tell I like this because I spilled some on my fingers as I was wetting a test strip and my nose is gobbling the scent. Can it unseat Yasmin's favorite, Montale's Jasmin Full? This is a seductive combination of Jasmine and Neroli with Lily of the Valley and also citrus in the top. The base isn't given, but I smell sandalwood. Perhaps other things are there. It's a lovely fragrance. Now to test it against Jasmin Full. No contest. It reigns victorious as the best jasmine I've smelled. However, Roden would be on my buy list if I hadn't already spent January's perfume budget!

Blog Entries

Too bad you don't like Jasmal-Creed I don't have many Creeds but that's one of the first I bought, and one of the best jasmines I've found. I wonder, too which version this is. Mine is at least 5 years old. I like it because it's dry, not especially sweet. I'm not sure, but it must have oak moss or castoreum or something with guts in it. I guess I'd never thought of it as particularly skanky. Anyhow, to my nose it's sharper, more greenish and possibly a bit of Vetiver is there to give it some backbone. But then, I'm also a big Cabochard ​lover.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Too bad you don't like Jasmal-Creed I don't have many Creeds but that's one of the first I bought, and one of the best jasmines I've found. I wonder, too which version this is. Mine is at least 5 years old. I like it because it's dry, not especially sweet. I'm not sure, but it must have oak moss or castoreum or something with guts in it. I guess I'd never thought of it as particularly skanky. Anyhow, to my nose it's sharper, more greenish and possibly a bit of Vetiver is there to give it some backbone. But then, I'm also a big Cabochard ​lover.

Never tried Cabochard, must look it up, but I really didn't like Jasmal. Don't mind my humor, though. I know others might love it. The only other Creed I have is Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie which is in my top 10, but slowly and surely I'll get to the Creeds one day.

Blog Entries

I wonder if Jasmal has changed lately. If you do try Cabochard, it should be vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk