Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Think of the most over-powering cologne to ever overwhelm you negatively...

...and type it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Brut 33. Feet, pits, and motor oil.

Default Re: Think of the most over-powering cologne to ever overwhelm you negatively...

Once I got 3 spray of Amen from home and went inside a meeting room 1/2 hour later. I nearly chock myself and all people in the meeting room who is having meeting. Have to leave the meeting room before something embarrassing happen.

Default Re: Think of the most over-powering cologne to ever overwhelm you negatively...

Two, actually.

Case study number one from 2005 is actually L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme. I loved it at first, but someone in the same dorm from Africa started wearing it in 20-spray increments. Needless to say, my bottle ended up on the Basenotes sale and swap board overnight. I haven't owned the version that Basenoters affectionately nickname LIDGE, but I remember sniffing it at Epcot last year (one of the few places it's sold in the US) and getting flashbacks to the overdoser of version 1.0.

Case study number two from this year is plain ol' Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male. I used to love it and thought that Basenoters gave it too much hate. But that was until a friend of mine started wearing it in heavy doses. Recently, he switched from bathing in Gucci Guilty to ten spritzes of Le Male at a meeting that I go to with him and others. The room where these meetings are held is in a huge church - and I can smell him from halfway across the giant room. As a result, I don't wear Le Male very much anymore, but there's good news: my bottle doesn't have much juice left.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Kouros. 2 sprays and i had to go take a shower to resume normal breathing functions.

Original Aramis - stimulates my gag reflex.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

+1 on Kouros and Aramis. I can sort of appreciate Kouros now, but would never wear it out in public in a million years. Aramis - hednic nailed it - it's nasty juice that should have been discontinued in the late 60's or early 70's. It doesn't belong anywhere in 2013.

I have to say that my initial experience with Amouage Interlude Man was almost a disaster, it is *incredibly* strong and I sprayed it on late at night to try it, and then it took me two hours to scrub it off, multiple times, cover up with other fragrances, and still had a headache when I was in bed trying to fall asleep at 3am. There was something intriguing in it, though, so I then tried it again, sprayed much further away from my nose. It was still *strong*, but nice. Just last week I ended up buying a 100ml bottle and wore a single spray yesterday - lasted all day and late into the night, projecting strongly. It's a beast, but I enjoy it. So this one will really depend on whether you like the scent - if you don't, it may be a very negative reaction. If you do - you just have to be very careful with the trigger - too much of a good thing is NOT gonna be good with this one.

Iceberg Twice...wore 3 sprays on a warmish day(low 70's)and it was SO overpowering. Making me feel sickly and really uncomfortable. But strangely I did get a compliment from a dude in his mid 60's who works in my building!lol Also this is the only fragrance that has ever had a negative reaction with my skin, which resulted in a pretty gnarly rash. :/

Basenotes Junkie

Joop Homme... no explanation required.

Ted Lapidus pour Homme. Though this is a favorite of hardcore enthusiasts, I just can't love it, despite multiple attempts to.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Joop Homme... no explanation required.

Ted Lapidus pour Homme. Though this is a favorite of hardcore enthusiasts, I just can't love it, despite multiple attempts to.
    TL pour homme, is the worst scent ever from me.

Polo Modern Reserve, the prior version (I have a pre-formulation bottle) was already potent enough, but there's a note that makes it hard to breath for me. And Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise... instant choke + headache each and every time.

Basenotes Member

Very recently, Memo Italian Leather. 2 sprays on my wrist and its overwhelming sweetness pursued me for 2 days even in my sleep. Only after a 10km run + shower has it finally disappeared. Ouch.

Angel Men

Sound Scents

Joop! Homme, Eternity for Men and Eau Sauvage Parfum all have to be at or near the top of my list.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Tuscan Leather
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Joop Homme & TL Pour Lui
    Sickly sweet cloying sh@#

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I wanted to try the new scent - Paco Rabanne One Million - so I sprayed my forearm a couple of times at the store before going to my friends' place.
    Within 10 minutes I was washing my arm.
    Bubblegum doesn't suit me.

Had some problems in the 80's with Bijan for Men and Obsession for Men.
    Way oversprayed them causing sneezing fits from the ladys.

JPG - Fleur du Male

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Original Aramis - stimulates my gag reflex.
    I LOVE Aramis, wearing the edt and deodorant today in fact

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post

I love this fragrance

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Joop! Homme, Eternity for Men and Eau Sauvage Parfum all have to be at or near the top of my list.
    +1 on Eternity , beats me why anyone would want to smell like this, just smells like cheap washing powder to me, awful stuff

Invictus, cheap detergent scent!

Original Polo Double black plus vintage Paco Rabanne
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

HdP Ambrarem
    HdP Petroleum

Nasty unwearable "scents". I have to believe these were meant to be more experimental than serious fragrances.

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme

I like the smell but it just slaughters me

+1 Obsession. And A*Men. I quite like the latter but others seem to apply far too much of this.

Angel for women. Nautica Voyage. Aseel. Bijan.

Others that I like but need to be applied with care - Giorgio Beverly Hills, Lapidus pour Homme, Trumper Sandalwood.

Kouros

Tobacco Vanille.

Loved it on the first wearing (3 sprays). It was only a half ml sample, so i thought I'd finish off the sample, rather than having 1/1.5 sprays left over.

4.5 sprays and then getting in a hot car? I felt incredibly sick. I've not been able to go near the stuff since.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post
    4.5 sprays and then getting in a hot car?
    Classic mistake - overspraying. With new fragrances you haven't tried before, *ALWAYS* start with just one spray to see how it performs. Most fragrances are plenty strong with one or two sprays, anything beyond that will drive most people bonkers. Tobacco Vanille is great if you use just one spray, not a drop more.

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan. Unwashed anus and then some.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Quote Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
    JPG - Fleur du Male
    YES! Totally forgot about this one....bought a few testers and all it took was ONE spray and I thought, OH HELLLLLLLLL NO!lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HAllen View Post
    Tobacco Vanille.

Loved it on the first wearing (3 sprays). It was only a half ml sample, so i thought I'd finish off the sample, rather than having 1/1.5 sprays left over.

4.5 sprays and then getting in a hot car? I felt incredibly sick. I've not been able to go near the stuff since.
    Your not alone, I got a 4ml sample and put just a couple dabs on my wrist and neck and it make me feel kind of queazy.....probably didn't help that later that night I woke up from a dead sleep with a full on bout of food poisoning!lol Absolutely wrecked this scent for me

Same thing happened to me imac.. I had my arms crossed the whole meeting to try to block the smell from coming off my pulse points. Angel will definitely choke out a small room of people.

Angel.

Joop Homme and Thallium. One spray of either and the chunks begin their journey....

Once I wore Habit Rouge (I think it was the EdT) when I was on jury duty. The courtroom was small, hot and stuffy, and I felt like I was going to suffocate everyone, or at least myself. Nobody said anything, but maybe they were just being polite.

I got a sample of Montale Black Aoud and, having no experience with this house, applied it as I would any EdT/EdP. I felt like I was suffocating all day. I have not worn any Montale since.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Opium Pour Homme, and the strange thing is, that I absolutely love spicy orientals. This one did not agree with me at all.
    Kiro

Curve, it is the one cologne that makes me want to sneeze the minute I smell it. I walk away from people wearing it.

Ultraviolet Man.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce. I actually like the way it smells, but it is SO strong, and on top of that those that do wear it tend to oversprray.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Sung Homme. Overwhelms me.
    Lately, Azzaro ph seems like 1 spray is too many. The base is nice, but it takes a long time to get there.

Montale Black Aoud.

As the title of this thread reads ... overpowering and negatively overwhelming.

Halston Z-14. First one I had a serious negative reaction to. Truly disgusting.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Versace The Dreamer: The bottle is depicted in some encyclopedias next to the word "Overwhelming".
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Leather Oud

Joop Homme.

byredo oud immortel
    Histoires de Parfums Tubereuse 3 Animale
    Last edited by blackened; 20th November 2013 at 02:55 PM.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Giorgio Red
    Antaeus
    Derby

All HORRIBLY overwhelming, and I don'y like any of the notes. In each case, I was thrown into bouts of utter embarrassment until I was able to get to a wash basin and scrub like a surgeon.

Urgh. I just made the mistake to spray some Obsession for men on me at TK Maxx, just to see if I still dislike it as much. Washed my hand twice since and I still can smell it. At first it didn't seem so bad, almost pleasant, but soon it started to make me feel ill.

Black Afgano makes me nauseated

Marc Jacobs for Men - makes my tongue sore and my throat constrict so won't use it any more. I have become sensitised to it though - thought it was OK at one time.

Ralph Lauren Polo Green
    Ralph Lauren Safari

Terre d'Hermes. Overwhelming, yes.

I was recently assaulted by a guy wearing Davidoff "The Game" in a library.
    The guy was 15 feet away, but The Game still smacked me around the head.

Previously I was assulted by a wearer of Bogart "Siver Scent".
    That guy was literally 30 feet away in a wedding reception and he was still overpowering my own fragrance!

Bois du Portugal.

And A*men, largely because my kids spilled a sample in the car.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    Bois du Portugal.

And A*men, largely because my kids spilled a sample in the car.
    A few years ago I spilled a 5ml sample of Bois du Portugal in my car. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the stuff! But...geeze...I drove with 4 windows open for weeks and witnessed dogs, children and the blind run away in terror as I sillaged by.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Plus

H.O.T. Always

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    A few years ago I spilled a 5ml sample of Bois du Portugal in my car. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the stuff! But...geeze...I drove with 4 windows open for weeks and witnessed dogs, children and the blind run away in terror as I sillaged by.
    My eyes are watering...

Eau Sauvage EDP (the green liquid with the black label bottle).
    Two spritzes from a Sephora bottle had me gassed out, like swimming through a haze of syrup.
    I was impressed with its power, but yeah, I don't want to smell like that.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
    Eau Sauvage EDP (the green liquid with the black label bottle).
    Two spritzes from a Sephora bottle had me gassed out, like swimming through a haze of syrup.
    I was impressed with its power, but yeah, I don't want to smell like that.
    FYI - the name of this fragrance is actually "Eau Sauvage Parfum" - it is an eau de parfum.

It's a totally different fragrance from the original Eau Sauvage.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Histoires de Parfums Ambrarem makes me feel physically ill. A distant second is cumin notes so amouage fate/epic repulse me
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Hard to say what's the worst but basically all those fruity or aquatic ones like aqua di gio, then the overly sweet ones like a*men, Gaultier 2, fleur du male, then of the powerhouses i can't stand Caron Yatagan.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Creed BdP and the most recent....Houbigant Fougere Royale. I smelled it on a dude in an elevator and thought it reeked. Didn't have a clue as to what it was until I tested it. Maybe my nose is immature...but its the worst thing I have ever encountered in an elevator. That's saying something.
    "All of my 2012 batches of Aventus smell EXACTLY the same...even the grey market one with an Arabic lot sticker on the bottom of the bottle." - BT260

New Haarlem for me. I sprayed my hand to test it out. I did not like the burnt syrup smell. Even after washing my hands 5 times I could still smell traces of it!